Put a big man (Stam; Hazell; Trotman/ Trotman's replacement) at the near post on the edge of the 6-yard box for the flick on and watch the goals flow.

:)

Doesn't necessarily have to be a big man either, after-all the Dodger wasn't the tallest, but often his flick ons at the near post paid off. Think set-pieces is something we really do need to work on. Variety is the spice of life and also the key to sucess. Feeling more positive than I have done for months (Everton and Leeds were good but unlikely bonuses) games like last night are the bread and butter and to put in the performance we did after Saturday's debacle gives us some hope. Young Lewis looks a hell of a prospect but we need to use him sparingly for now and beef him up a little. The lad has the best feet and close control I've seen at BP in a long time.

The goals will flow if we do what we did last night, good passing high-tempo football to feet.

Put a big man (Stam; Hazell; Trotman/ Trotman's replacement) at the near post on the edge of the 6-yard box for the flick on and watch the goals flow.

What got me last night was how one of the best players on the pitch for heading ability, i.e. Smalley, was loitering around on the wing as one of our corners were being taken.

Good point though mate. A flick on at the front post sends panic and disarray into a defence. Never seem to have anyone around there.

I did notice that Taylor did take quite a lot of short corners last night and was a bit worried that his confidence had taken a bit of a battering after his corners kicks against Hudders. I do not think we get much success from the short corner kick and we often end up going back to the halfway line when we choose this option. I say get Taylor doing more practice and wipe the Hudders stuff into the history books.

Drphibes

I_C - I see where you're coming from... can't argue it'd be nice to have that as one of our options... but there is an alternative which you seem to have missed....... it's a complex idea, I accept, and somewhat Radical round these parts... but why not just BEAT THE FIRST FRIKKIN MAN!?!?!

Our set plays from all aspects (throwins, corners, freekicks, christ - even deadballs) have been awful all this season and last.

We fail to do basics all the time :

- No/Little off the ball movement.

- No awareness of options

- No variety

- No ability to beat the first man

- No surprises

- Still hope!!

Bit of time and effort and we can turn it around... on the wings, let the winger take the throws some of the time, not the right/left back... that way they can be given it back from the first touch and attack the space.

From corners (as you say I_C) mix it up a bit, let other people take them (Eardley is the obvious choice but has the defensive risk I'll admit), throw some short ones into the mix - that's not an excuse to then take 8 short corners in a game!!! CHANGE IT UP!

The biggest problem with all our set plays is that they're the same. All of them. Every time. The worst defence in the world can defend them if they know what to expect each and every time!!!

*Rant off!

The corners are so poor that more often than not the ball would hit our big man in his chest!

It's a sorry state of affairs if we haven't got a player who can take corners properly. A moving ball is difficult to cross acurately, but a stationary one should be easy-peasy for professionals.

The corners are so poor that more often than not the ball would hit our big man in his chest!

It's a sorry state of affairs if we haven't got a player who can take corners properly. A moving ball is difficult to cross acurately, but a stationary one should be easy-peasy for professionals.

Lomax took the corners at a recent home game and he seemed to do ok, i'm surprised he didn't take them last night

I_C - I see where you're coming from... can't argue it'd be nice to have that as one of our options... but there is an alternative which you seem to have missed....... it's a complex idea, I accept, and somewhat Radical round these parts... but why not just BEAT THE FIRST FRIKKIN MAN!?!?!

Our set plays from all aspects (throwins, corners, freekicks, christ - even deadballs) have been awful all this season and last.

We fail to do basics all the time :

- No/Little off the ball movement.

- No awareness of options

- No variety

- No ability to beat the first man

- No surprises

- Still hope!!

Bit of time and effort and we can turn it around... on the wings, let the winger take the throws some of the time, not the right/left back... that way they can be given it back from the first touch and attack the space.

From corners (as you say I_C) mix it up a bit, let other people take them (Eardley is the obvious choice but has the defensive risk I'll admit), throw some short ones into the mix - that's not an excuse to then take 8 short corners in a game!!! CHANGE IT UP!

The biggest problem with all our set plays is that they're the same. All of them. Every time. The worst defence in the world can defend them if they know what to expect each and every time!!!

*Rant off!

Spot on Ackey - I was going to post something like that last night, but was too knackered. It worries me a little, as it's something that you'd expect the coaching staff to have well in hand. Maybe we're not as thorough when it comes to planning SP out as other teams? In this league every little helps, and those few goals that could result (both scored and saved) could be vital in the final standings.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a big man either, after-all the Dodger wasn't the tallest, but often his flick ons at the near post paid off. Think set-pieces is something we really do need to work on. Variety is the spice of life and also the key to sucess. Feeling more positive than I have done for months (Everton and Leeds were good but unlikely bonuses) games like last night are the bread and butter and to put in the performance we did after Saturday's debacle gives us some hope. Young Lewis looks a hell of a prospect but we need to use him sparingly for now and beef him up a little. The lad has the best feet and close control I've seen at BP in a long time.

The goals will flow if we do what we did last night, good passing high-tempo football to feet.

Yeeeeyyyyyssssss :grin::grin::grin:

The short corners were all on the right hand side of the goal we were attacking as to a right footer these would be naturally out swingers whereas he tried to whip the ones from the left in to the box as these are naturally in swingers.

I said it at the game but Taylor is probably the best of the bunch at taking corners, I am sure once Liddell was injured and KK left that they had a go in training and Taylor was found to be the best at taking them. There is a world of difference taking a corner at Chapel Rd to one in a competitive game at BP and we should cut him some slack and he will get it right. It sure as hell won't be doing him any good knowing that unless he puts it right on the button all he will hear is groans and "thats crap Taylor", even fully paid up internationals can't put in decent corners 100% of the time.

Plus as has been mentioned perhaps if the other players helped him out and gave him a decent target to aim at they would be more chance of it hitting a blue shirted head? Perhaps some one should come to the near post in case it does drop short and one should go long? At the moment our players seem to stand in a huddle a wait for the ball on the 6 yard line rather than gamble and attack the ball.

Just wondering if it isn't about time the captain took some responsibility here, be that Eardley or Allott. If it's not working and Taylors confidence is taking a bashing then surely the captain should be big enough to either say "give it here, I'll take it" or tell someone else to have a go. Whats the point of being captain if you say nowt.

The short corners were all on the right hand side of the goal we were attacking as to a right footer these would be naturally out swingers whereas he tried to whip the ones from the left in to the box as these are naturally in swingers.

I said it at the game but Taylor is probably the best of the bunch at taking corners, I am sure once Liddell was injured and KK left that they had a go in training and Taylor was found to be the best at taking them. There is a world of difference taking a corner at Chapel Rd to one in a competitive game at BP and we should cut him some slack and he will get it right. It sure as hell won't be doing him any good knowing that unless he puts it right on the button all he will hear is groans and "thats crap Taylor", even fully paid up internationals can't put in decent corners 100% of the time.

Well said, couldn't agree more.... Chris is a confidence player and it really does matter to him what the fans think.

Believe me no one knows more than Chris what he needs to do, but abusing him everytime he takes a corner isn't the answer.

He's a young lad, doing as he's told. Cut him a bit of slack , give him a bit of encouragement and HE WILL come good........

Well said, couldn't agree more.... Chris is a confidence player and it really does matter to him what the fans think.

Believe me no one knows more than Chris what he needs to do, but abusing him everytime he takes a corner isn't the answer.

He's a young lad, doing as he's told. Cut him a bit of slack , give him a bit of encouragement and HE WILL come good........

I agree fully. But cant blame the moaners for taking bad corners. I have faith he will come good, but we need it quick as Lids looks like hes not going to be available for a long time. Maybe he should look at his technique or even speaking to Liddell about it might help. KTF

Did anyone notice when Eardley won a corner he retreated immediatelly to the half way line, while Taylor trotted over from the far flank to take it, the corner was fluffed and Taylor had to run all the way back to where he had come from to take up his position

Why couldn't Eardley just take the corner ?

Did anyone notice when Eardley won a corner he retreated immediatelly to the half way line, while Taylor trotted over from the far flank to take it, the corner was fluffed and Taylor had to run all the way back to where he had come from to take up his position

Why couldn't Eardley just take the corner ?

I guess it is just normal Team tactics and varying those in the middle of a game is a recipe for disaster.

Most teams will drop back their smaller, quick players when taking an attacking corner in case of a breakaway.

Just wondering if it isn't about time the captain took some responsibility here, be that Eardley or Allott. If it's not working and Taylors confidence is taking a bashing then surely the captain should be big enough to either say "give it here, I'll take it" or tell someone else to have a go. Whats the point of being captain if you say nowt.

Don't you think its more to do with the mamangement. We have been persisting with these short corners since sheridan became manager can anyone tell me when they have resulted in a goal? Because I can't remember. In fact half the time we take it short it gets passed back and two men then come out and press the ball and we don't even get a cross in at all nevermind one that beats the first man.

I don't want to be overly critical after the fantastic performance last night but it seems very little thought or practice goes into them at all.

but why not just BEAT THE FIRST FRIKKIN MAN!?!?!

Be gone you heathen fool, thoust pedantry shalt bring scorn from the gods on thee! You decend upon us, with thoust long hair and educated folly and shower us with these far flung ideas of inventiveness and creativity! Scares us you do... heresy I tell thee.. I TELL THEE! Scares us....

... after all, the song says "oooh, we got a corner" ... it makes no mention to beating the first man let alone scoring a goal....

Tell you what... next match lets try playing it in to that big lad we have.... you know, begins with a T.... you now..... oh.... :disappointed:

Good shout IC, it does seem the front post flick on corner has gone out of style since its vogue in the early 90s and late 80s. I remember Arsenal and England used this corner a lot, and Roger's back post to front post move was probably used quite a bit by any Oldham supporting youngster (I know I did in my first game). I think we had a lot of short corners last night because they weren't picking it up properly as well as Taylor's confidence being low I like a short corner when done right as it changes the angle for the cross but one thing i'd have like Eardley do have done last night was to have a shot (or at least a driven cross). Set pieces have been poor this season and we can only hope JJ (Mk II- new and improved) can help with his obvious skill at striking a football. Last season we had a few set pieces that had obviously been worked on at the training ground but these seemed to dry up during the latter half of the season. Now i know that some training ground moves always look silly if not performed properly (especially if compared with a straight shot) but i like them as it keeps the defence honest. Lets hope the sale of Trotman doesn't make things go from bad to worse.

For the last few years I, and the people who I sit with in the Chaddy, have been convinced we must be one of the most ineffective teams from corners particulary, and throw-ins to a lesser extent.

I am sure there must be some Opta stats somewhere on the web that show no. of corners earned and goals scored from corners (never looked) but I'd bet we must have one of the worst ratios in the league.

Some my thoughts on the discussions so far:

• A whole host of good passers have taken ineffective corners for Latics over the recent years IMO e.g. Shez, Eyres, Liddel (best of the bunch), Kilkenny, Wellens etc. Good players who in an Oldham shirt take rubbish corners.
  • Eardley or other defender taking corners - Pointon used to take them very effectively so it can be done without too much defensive risk. Though Eard's crosses don't inspire me to have him take corners.
  • Short corners - a useful tool if used sparingly. We caused Forest lots of problems at the City Ground this season with a short-corner routine we used a few times. never seen it again - why?
  • Chris Taylor - confidence after Hudds is absolutely shot. 1st corner on Tues hit first man, next few were all short. Tried another 2nd half with same outcome (and understandable groans from Chaddy) and again reverted to short corners. You'd think after hitting first man so many times he'd actually be over-compensating and over hitting, but he doesn't seem to have done even that (though weather on Tuesday was not great to be fair). After a few groans on Tuesday, he was still getting lots of cheers, shouts of encouragement and clapping as he continued to run to take them

Its hard to believe that we practice these things at times. But Shez does need to look at this urgently - we get a good number of corners and if we were more effective from them it would make a bif difference to our attacking threat. If you could do substitutions like hockey or american football I'd bring back Dissa and put him on just to take corners.