Life after Trotman

I'm disappointed to see Neal go. A tremendous talent and a quite unbelievable debut Season as a fully-fledged member of the first Team. I am sure he will go a long way and will be sadly missed both on and off the field.

That said, I believe that we have kept a better player who will prove to be more influential. Step forward Reuben Hazell. There isn't the hype surrounding this unassuming bloke as there has been recently with Trotman. He hasn't got thrust into the limelight as Trotman did but in my opinion, he's as good if not better. In other words, there is a ready made replacement so Neal won't be missed as much as losing say Davies or Hughes.

He isn't a right back and definitely not a left-back but at centre half, he has not put a foot wrong for me this Season. At least now he will get a lengthy run in his proper position. He also is a fair player. Last night was his first booking while in the same time, Trotman has picked up 9. I think that means an automatic 3 match ban when (and it will be when) he picks up his next yellow. Hopefully that aspect will get ironed out of his game as he gets more experience because if it doesn't, it will hold him back.

The other silver-lining to this deal is that the money received will enable us to bring in 2 or 3 players (either by tomorrow night or on loan thereafter) and that will improve us as a Team and Squad. We've also got an asset appreciating in value in The Championship and while City may be able to resist future big offers for Richards, Preston won't.

Good luck Neal and thanks. Now Reuben, the Crown is yours.

The King is dead. Long live the King!

Indeed. I think that Reuben is older than Trotman though? Trotman showed a lot of promise, and the sell on fee that we have is definately a good aquistition. Im more than happy for Reuben to step up, but this might require a re-shuffle at the back? Perhaps the introduction of Lomax with a decent run in the first team.

There you go.

:grin:

Just to get back on topic.... I have always said that Ruubes is essentially the glue that holds this defence together... whereas Stammy and trotters are undoubtedly good players, they are both prone to the odd breach of composure, and position - the only reason we havent been exposed in may games is that Ruubes has always been there to mop up... for me, the Stam and Trotters partnership worked well, however you always had the feeling there was a mistake in them - when Ruubes is on the pitch I never feel this - he is the most composed, most postitionally perfect and most complete defender we have. I have always compared him to Jamie Carragher in a very lower division fashion, covers others, an all round defender, positionally perfect and makes the other defenders around him look good because he cvers thier mistakes....

Another example of this is Greeegs.... his form was poor at the start of the season, yet all of a sudden he suddenly game good - why?? Because Ruubes came in, and covered all his mistakes and gave him his swagger back....

For me he was always the first name on the teamsheet, Trotman's emergeance has been at his expense... however other than the threat at corners I feel we will be a better team for Ruubs being a regular... hopefully with gregan again by the end of the season....

... and... has trotters ever scored a 30 yard volley??? No think not... :wink:

I've been pleasantly surprised when I've seen Rubes play coz his past record with other clubs isn't all that promising. But unfortunately I don't see him having as much impact as Trotters did for two reasons; lack of height and he's not as technically gifted as Trotters on the ground.

Don't get me wrong I've been impressed by him and I'm certainly happy having him start alongside Stam at centre back but he won't completely fill the void left by Trotters.

I've been pleasantly surprised when I've seen Rubes play coz his past record with other clubs isn't all that promising. But unfortunately I don't see him having as much impact as Trotters did for two reasons; lack of height and he's not as technically gifted as Trotters on the ground.

Don't get me wrong I've been impressed by him and I'm certainly happy having him start alongside Stam at centre back but he won't completely fill the void left by Trotters.

spot on for me that! well said that man.

the other sides of the coin were

if we'd kept Trotters he was 20 as opposed to Rubys 25+

we've (or someone) has got 500k.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I couldnt dissagre more to be honest... well, i'll give you the height thing obviously, but I must be watching a different player.... Trotters will perhaps one day be composed on the deck, but for me, still makes lots of mistakes which are covered by others.... I personally however coannot remember Ruuubes ever doing anything wrong... he just does things simply and effectively, everything you want from a proper defender.... as is always said, stam and gregan can play the football, they just need someone to cover them....

Its an age thing more than anything.... Trots will improve, but technically??? at this level Ruubs is as good as they get at the back - very simple, very effective...

have to agree bigfin. The one attribute I don't think you can attach to Trotters is that he is more technically gifted on the ground...!

As i said to my mate the other week, trotters reminded me of Danny :censored:tu in his build and slightly ungainly style, probably the kind of guy that oppo fans will look and wonder if they have a chance against and yet will end up going for big money and have a very successful career at the highest levels.

Mind you if there was a way for him to flick the ball up to his head everytime he got it, his distribution would be up there with shez.

Edited by lookers87

Another example of this is Greeegs.... his form was poor at the start of the season, yet all of a sudden he suddenly game good - why?? Because Ruubes came in, and covered all his mistakes and gave him his swagger back....

... and... has trotters ever scored a 30 yard volley??? No think not... :wink:

Was gunna mention the 30yd screamer. Altho that was a RB, venturing forward, he might not be able to at CB. But the ability is there....

As for Greeegs improved form, I'd suggest that was a lot more to do with Thompson not playing, than Rubes taking his place. Not knocking Rubes for one bit....but I think even I could've done a better job alongside Greeegs than Thompson :grin:

Rubes though is giving me a headache over the player of the season award so far. Allott has been class and is shading it, but Rubes came in (or Thompson went out, which way round is it? Lol :wink:) and our season has turned around

big time. The guy just does not make mistakes....and he barely fouls. Got to admit, he did deserve his yellow last night coz he did bang into the back of a few of their lads all night but for his size, the oppo player certainly gets to know he's there. He really is signing of the season for me.....above Allott, coz Allott did come with some expectations that he could do well for us. Hazell was a..."hmmm....not sure, but hope he does well".

Finally, can I add something I've not read on here yet (if it has, apologies, I've missed it)....but got to say....I hope that TTA bought Tony Philliskirk a few beers tonight. Or when they next see him, coz I believe it was he who told Shez to get hold of Trotters when he was released from the Inbreds! Genious! I thankyou, Sir Tony!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Finally, can I add something I've not read on here yet (if it has, apologies, I've missed it)....but got to say....I hope that TTA bought Tony Philliskirk a few beers tonight. Or when they next see him, coz I believe it was he who told Shez to get hold of Trotters when he was released from the Inbreds! Genious! I thankyou, Sir Tony!

You did miss reading it on here and, more to the point, you also missed that it was Dave Hudson who tipped off TP about Trotman's availability. Well done Dave! :imnotworthy:

I would say Hazell is far better than Trotman on the ground.....