HARDY RE TROTMAN

Alex

We are all disappointed to see Neal leave but for a player who has only started 20 first team games I think we have done remarkably well to negotiate such a fee, and we could not deny him the chance to progress and secure a good contract.

We had also been trying to tie Neal down to a new contract since December but he had wanted to bide his time on that.

Neal is a lovely lad and after being thrown on the scrap heap by Burnley a couple of seasons ago the club worked hard with him to resurrect his career and now it has paid off for both him and the club.

I wished him well yesterday when I left him at Deepdale and told him that we all want to see him progress to the highest level.

I am now working on the next move which should hopefully see a player coming in today.

Regards

Alan

There's many a Colossus in the Reserves that doesn't cut it at league level......or am I thinking of Colusso? :grin:

The fact is hadn't Gregan got injured and still be playing Trotman would still be awaiting his debut and probably released at the end of the season on a free.

That shows in the contract he was originally offered, one year and not 3 or 4 like some of the other youngsters.

Guest sheridans_world

You dont offer a three year contract to someone who has never played a first team game for you. As Trotman hadnt at the time of his original contract signing.

He should have been offered a 3 year contract in the first place, what were the management thinking of, it was obvious even when in the reserves he was a colossus.

Obvious to everyone apart from the highly respected Coaching staff at Burnley perhaps?

Latics did the sensible thing as he was clearly a risk. They gave him a contract with triggers generating extensions. I really don't see what more they could have done at the time as we haven't got the cash to be throwing 3 year contracts at youth team players who probably (and you know the percentages far better than me) won't make the grade.

Guest sheridans_world
Yes you do if you have faith in them.

This lad got dumped out of football by Burnley. Came to us on a months trial and got injured for the next six months.

You dont offer 3 year contracts to that sort of player.

He should have been offered a 3 year contract in the first place, what were the management thinking of, it was obvious even when in the reserves he was a colossus.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but considering the club didn't have the benefit of hindsight I think Latics and Trotman have both done well out of this.

Latics have pocketed 500K + add ons and sell ons and Trotman will have signed on much improved personal terms than he was on here plus he gets to play at a higher level.

Give Wolfy another 3 years he is awesome in the stiffs as well! As has been said we can't afford to gamble on unknown talents and an untried Burnley reject was never going to get a 3 year deal no matter how much cash we had. I think the club have got a great deal. Would have loved him to stay though.

Edited by ritchie82

As a slight aside but still on Trotman - he turned Derby down on Tuesday! Took a call from Paul Jewell asking him to go for talks with them but he told them that he wasn't ready for the Premiership yet.

Seems like he has quite a mature head on young shoulders too.

Added to the fact that he didnt want to leave here as he felt he should show us loyalty for sticking by him when he got injured shortly after joining, he'll definitely get a great reception from me when he returns to BP with PNE next year! (snigger!)

Because of changes to reserves kick-off times etc., I only saw him play for the stiffs v Stalybridge at the start of the season. Only him and Lomax stood out amongst an average bunch. I never saw anything in him except that he was semi-decent. Never a real challenger for a first team spot...

But.... at First Team level he was simply awsome. His rate of improvement was astonishing. If he continues to improve he is without doubt a potential International.

As has been said we can't afford to gamble on unknown talents and an untried Burnley reject was never going to get a 3 year deal no matter how much cash we had.

As an ex premiership scout I know you look to players potential when offering a contract, not what level they are playing at the time.

I said it many times last season (as others will testify) when Trotman was in the reserves he had that potential, and therefore in my eyes should have been given a longer contract.

However, it's all about opinions and I accept yours.

Edited by BP1960

As a slight aside but still on Trotman - he turned Derby down on Tuesday! Took a call from Paul Jewell asking him to go for talks with them but he told them that he wasn't ready for the Premiership yet.

Seems like he has quite a mature head on young shoulders too.

Added to the fact that he didnt want to leave here as he felt he should show us loyalty for sticking by him when he got injured shortly after joining, he'll definitely get a great reception from me when he returns to BP with PNE next year! (snigger!)

Just been reading the paper in the butty shop and seen the same thing. Obviously knows Derby are going down too. Jewell admitted it yesterday! I'm sure he did want to show us some loyalty he seems a very sensible lad.

When he gets in his stride they'll know they have got a right bargain.

This lad got dumped out of football by Burnley. Came to us on a months trial and got injured for the next six months.

You dont offer 3 year contracts to that sort of player.

It was Burnley mate that got rid of him and it was to do with having to choose to take a defender or a striker for their last pro contract they had available in their budget. Their reasoning was that they would make more out of a forward :grin: Unlucky Dingles :lol:

They wanted to keep Trots just didnt have enough places, OAFC did in a way give him a good contract of 2 years in a way with the extensions etc .. Agree thou I'd have gibe him a 2 year with an option of a 3rd but sometimes you have to play safe which clubs in our position have to do <_<

As sad as it is to see him go i think the club have done magnificent in managing to get such a good deal. I have seen the reserves a few times this season, and plenty of times last season, we have plenty of great young players and it is a credit to the club for recruiting this young talent. One position i haven't seen a decent player is the left wing, in fact can't recall a decent left footed winger in division 1 this year. Anyone think of one? BP1960 any up and coming wingers at the club??