Getting In To The Ground At Swansea

Guest M_OAFC

What do people reckon the chances are of being allowed in at around about half time...........and with a suitcase?!!!!!

Is it worth me even bothering?

I'm working away (hence the suitcase) and it's impossible to get from where I am to Swansea in time for the kick off.

Unfortunately, by the time I realised that I had already bought a train ticket for the first leg of the journey in the mistaken belief that it if you were in Bristol for about 11.30 you would be able to get to Swansea in time for the kick off - only when I then tried to book the 2nd leg did I discover that you can't! By bus or train.

I have also already bought a match ticket, a pre-paid hotel room in Swansea, and train tickets for getting back to Oldham, the latter two having been purchased many weeks ago when I didn't know where I would be travelling to Swansea from but did know I would be going back home afterwards.

Having spent all that money I was hell bent on seeing whatever of the game I could but it has since been pointed out to me that I might not even get in! Do people think that is a possibility? Because if it is I might as well cut my losses and go home Saturday morning.

On a separate note, how evil are these midnight transfer deadlines? Stayed up through the pain barrier and can't get to sleep now, hence knackered at work in the morning. Livermore had better be worth it! Bring back 5pm deadlines please!

Edited by M_OAFC

What do people reckon the chances are of being allowed in at around about half time...........and with a suitcase?!!!!!

Is it worth me even bothering?

I'm working away (hence the suitcase) and it's impossible to get from where I am to Swansea in time for the kick off.

Unfortunately, by the time I realised that I had already bought a train ticket for the first leg of the journey in the mistaken belief that it if you were in Bristol for about 11.30 you would be able to get to Swansea in time for the kick off - only when I then tried to book the 2nd leg did I discover that you can't! By bus or train.

I have also already bought a match ticket, a pre-paid hotel room in Swansea, and train tickets for getting back to Oldham, the latter two having been purchased many weeks ago when I didn't know where I would be travelling to Swansea from but did know I would be going back home afterwards.

Having spent all that money I was hell bent on seeing whatever of the game I could but it has since been pointed out to me that I might not even get in! Do people think that is a possibility? Because if it is I might as well cut my losses and go home Saturday morning.

On a separate note, how evil are these midnight transfer deadlines? Stayed up through the pain barrier and can't get to sleep now, hence knackered at work in the morning. Livermore had better be worth it! Bring back 5pm deadlines please!

call up swansea football club and explain the scenario and see what they say is my advice

This isn't really much help to you but I once took a suitcase into Vicarage Road.

I'd been staying with a friend in London (where I also saw The Telescopes!!) and stopped off at Watford, to watch the Latics, on my way home.

I had no trouble getting the case into the ground and the policemen on duty didn't even want to search it once I'd told them it was full of a weeks dirty washing!!

It even came in useful as a makeshift chair during the match, as this was in the days before all - seater stadia.

If it had been big enough I probably would have climbed inside as we were awful that day, eventually losing 3-0!!

Not sure how or why my post got edited to say I was working away in Bristol because I'm not. The rest of the post woudn't make sense if that was the case!

I am working away but not in Bristol. Bristol is just where I have to change trains if I want to get to Swansea but the earliest I can get to Bristol is about 11.30 and astonishingly that's too late to get to Swansea in time for kick off.

I've re-edited it anyway.

If you can drive rent a car (avis.co.uk seems fairly cheap). Taxi might be a bit expensive.

Or ask someone on here if they are driving past?

Tried the car hire option and they're having none of it due to some technicality, couldn't be arsed to work out why, and since the only thing I've driven for donkeys years is a van I'd probably kill someone in a car anyway!

Already tried posting to ask if anyone was driving past but had no joy. I don't think that many people look in the "on the road" section and if you try posting in this forum for a wider audience one of the mods always moves it.

Not sure how or why my post got edited to say I was working away in Bristol because I'm not. The rest of the post woudn't make sense if that was the case!

I am working away but not in Bristol. Bristol is just where I have to change trains if I want to get to Swansea but the earliest I can get to Bristol is about 11.30 and astonishingly that's too late to get to Swansea in time for kick off.

I've re-edited it anyway.

Apologies for trying to help. I understood from Richie that you were in Bristol.

Maybe we have a member travelling from where you will be working who would be happy to give you a lift?

call up swansea football club and explain the scenario and see what they say is my advice

That's what I was thinking, so having seen your post I did it. Apparently they don't know! Somebody is supposed to be ringing me back.

Apologies for trying to help. I understood from Richie that you were in Bristol.

Maybe we have a member travelling from where you will be working who would be happy to give you a lift?

That's ok mate it wasn't meant as a criticism. I was just confused as to how it came about that's all. Thanks for trying to assist, much appreciated.

On the lift suggestion, I'm not aware of any Oldham fans based in Dorset but I know there are a few in and around Bristol but had no luck pursuing that avenue so far. Cheers anyway

That's ok mate it wasn't meant as a criticism. I was just confused as to how it came about that's all. Thanks for trying to assist, much appreciated.

On the lift suggestion, I'm not aware of any Oldham fans based in Dorset but I know there are a few in and around Bristol but had no luck pursuing that avenue so far. Cheers anyway

We've got a few in Dorset and you never know someone may be able to help. Put up the name of the Town where you are based and you never know who might see it!

Good luck as I know you haven't missed a match for yonks and I'd hate to think you were going to miss our biggest away win of the Season. :D

Sorry the Brizzle Massiv cant help Mark - all of us are missing this weekend due to one annoying reason or another.. apologies.... Swansea is a pain in the backside to get to even from Bristol - 2 hours on the train.... can you defo not make the 11.07??? (or does your Train go to bristol parkway??? - That give you an extra 15 mins to get the train... it leaves at 11.20)

The 12.07 will get you in at 13.56 - should be able to get there only about 20 mins into the game if you jump in a taxi???

.... Just done a quick check - have you also noticed that swansea is only and Hour away from cardiff on the national express...??? Could be cutting it fine, but there is a bus at 12.45 which gets you in at 13.45... you should defo be able to get from brizzle to cardiff in an hour and its only £4 on a train....

Sure you can do it!

Thanks a million for all your suggestions folks, I really do appreciate the time that some of you have clearly spent looking into the matter. Hats of to you all and if ever I can do you a favour do give me a shout.

Some of the suggestions I'd looked into already, others are being pursued now.

Even if none of the time savers come to any fruition, at least it sounds like getting from Swansea station to the ground may not take as long as I thought so if I can get there by 20 past I might only miss the first of Kalala's hat trick!

And if you see a lad walk in mid-match with a suitcase.............it's not me!

... if you see a lad walk in mid-match with a suitcase.............it's not me!

Mark arrived before 2:15pm and as the kick-off had been delayed a few minutes, he didn't miss much. The stewards put his suitcase in a room during the match. Afterwards he wasn't wearing colours but he looked a bit conspicuous pulling his suitcase through the Swansea fans. :lol:

Guest oa_exile
The stewards put his suitcase in a room during the match

Steward : :mmm: "What's in the case ?"

Mark : :dance: "We only carry hammers , we only carry lead , we only carry hatchet's to bury in your ........" :dance:

:getmecoat: I'm here all week

did you happen to read what was writen on the straps of the case ..... PRINCESS :shy: !!!! Lets just say we kept a little distance between ourselves and Mark on the way back to the city centre

Wonder how he went on in the pub on his own when England snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at Twickers?

One of our fans had been drinking on his own in a Swansea City centre pub before the game. The barmaids were all wearing Welsh rugby shirts except for one wearing the England shirt. He said "I'm glad it's the England fan who is serving me". She replied "I don't support England - I drew the short straw!".