Without sounding critical - Are you really happy with the activity?

Firstly, I think Jarrett played well against the knuckle draggers and I am glad we have tied him up to the end of the season. But lets be honest the only other deal in the whole month is Livermore for a month? We had money available from the FA cup and money from the sale of Trotman, all over and above finance from the seasons budget. TTA have openly said that money is available for Shez to build the squad. So why the russian sailor and brown parcels in the eleventh hour? Other clubs have improved their squad while we have lost out on 3 players on the final day, all agreed to sign but didnt. The window is shut now and there is nothing we can do but take chances on loan players, which can be a gamble. I for one am feeling a little disappointed we didnt bring in a striker (WhiCH WAS THE PRIORITY????) I suppost the question I am asking is, what went wrong?????? - Onwards and upwards for Saturday, good luck boys! :angry::blush:B)

Firstly, I think Jarrett played well against the knuckle draggers and I am glad we have tied him up to the end of the season. But lets be honest the only other deal in the whole month is Livermore for a month? We had money available from the FA cup and money from the sale of Trotman, all over and above finance from the seasons budget. TTA have openly said that money is available for Shez to build the squad. So why the russian sailor and brown parcels in the eleventh hour? Other clubs have improved their squad while we have lost out on 3 players on the final day, all agreed to sign but didnt. The window is shut now and there is nothing we can do but take chances on loan players, which can be a gamble. I for one am feeling a little disappointed we didnt bring in a striker (WhiCH WAS THE PRIORITY????) I suppost the question I am asking is, what went wrong?????? - Onwards and upwards for Saturday, good luck boys! :angry::blush:B)

Yeah I am happy.Because what he has brought in is better than what we have with no disrespect to the current squad. With Strikers, they probably was his priority, but we got told where to go by two of them. I'm personally more than happy with alessandra, but for now,i think when we are allowed to make loan signings, a striker will come in.

Certainly don't want the likes of Moore signing for us simply because he hadn't got a better offer. Conspiracy theorists might even suggest he was taking the mick on behalf of his dad.

I'd be inclined to agree. Why we even bothered I don't know.

A striker would have been nice but he wanted three in, got two and was obviously close to a third on a couple of occasions. Still time for that though given the striker would come by our old favourite the loan move :)

I'd be inclined to agree. Why we even bothered I don't know.

A striker would have been nice but he wanted three in, got two and was obviously close to a third on a couple of occasions. Still time for that though given the striker would come by our old favourite the loan move :)

You cant put all the faith in young Lewis and Dean. They are babies and need to be dipped in slowly. It was only 6 weeks ago when Dean Smalley war hung at BP for a few stray passes, something I felt sick about. Our fans can be a joke at times. All I am saying is that Shez has been banging on about a striker for weeks, and dont say none have moved because they have. Jarvis, Jevons, Brooker, Akinfenwa, Shewonni the list go on

Was that in response to me?

I'm a bit lost. Yes I wanted a striker and there were many to choose from yet it appears we went for a former manager's son and appear all surprised when he basically mugs us off.

Of course strikers have moved. We appear to be after a certain type of striker though which limits our selction even further. Plenty of time for loans which seem to be the favourable option of not just us but many other clubs too these days. We have till mid March for that.

In short no, i think he activity has shown we have no ambition to get out of this league! Now everyone can spout on about we aint gunna get the sigings on 4,500 at home games rubbish but the truth is our FA Cup run brought in a lot of money, the trotman sale brought in money and i dont believe once the development is sold and ground is built there wont be a spare couple of pennys left over! In short we have a bit of money, more money than expected, you can even thow the portergate scandal in their (no one believed trotters would come on like he did and sell him on for 500k) Now at the beggining of the season we were lead to believe more sigings/more signifficent would have come in if it wasnt for porter - now we have more money than expected and we still dont spend. You cant be succesfull when the majority of the team is on loan and still only 60% -70% fit. I dont believe we would have done much this season whoever we signed but this was the time to start looking at next season.

The success in this league comes when you have a big squad who have been round together for a while and dont need much gelling in - generally players who are in contract and not on loan. Yet come the end of this mid table season we will be left short again with contracts up, players leaving, players being bought from us, and loan signings ending. Then start again with a drastically new squad, we have a crap start to the season and shez comes out with his usuall comments "we need time to gel"

Sorry rant over!

Edited by Davros

I'm happy.

Midfield is where we've been weakest all season, and the two lads brought in should go a long way to addressing that. Having Livermore also means we can play Taylor on the right, and move Allott infield, where he's looked much more effective. I'm not too bothered about not getting a striker in, as I think young Lewis, Dean, and Davies have enough about them to score bucket loads, and if Hughes can get fit, then we'll have good competition for places. Sorting the midfield out should give us enough to supply the forward lads, even without spending silly money or taking a gamble on a journeyman.

The success in this league comes when you have a big squad who have been round together for a while and dont need much gelling in - generally players who are in contract and not on loan. Yet come the end of this mid table season we will be left short again with contracts up, players leaving, players being bought from us, and loan signings ending. Then start again with a drastically new squad, we have a crap start to the season and shez comes out with his usuall comments "we need time to gel"

Sorry rant over!

Don't be sorry for stating the obvious facts.

In short no, i think he activity has shown we have no ambition to get out of this league! Now everyone can spout on about we aint gunna get the sigings on 4,500 at home games rubbish but the truth is our FA Cup run brought in a lot of money, the trotman sale brought in money and i dont believe once the development is sold and ground is built there wont be a spare couple of pennys left over! In short we have a bit of money, more money than expected, you can even thow the portergate scandal in their (no one believed trotters would come on like he did and sell him on for 500k) Now at the beggining of the season we were lead to believe more sigings/more signifficent would have come in if it wasnt for porter - now we have more money than expected and we still dont spend. You cant be succesfull when the majority of the team is on loan and still only 60% -70% fit. I dont believe we would have done much this season whoever we signed but this was the time to start looking at next season.

Sorry rant over!

agree.and shudda signed striker 1st jan not left it while last minuet we cudda gone futher in cup more cash in the bank!!!

Edited by chat-blue

I'm reasonably happy. It's a bit of a blow about the striker situation, I think we really need a bit of height up front and either Moore or Schwartzenegger (well, he's the only Austrian I could think of who I could spell) would have fitted the bill.

But the players we brought in are quality and in vital areas where we've looked soft or struggled. Midfield.

And it also give Lomax and Alessandra a chance after their decent performances in midweek. Sieze the day boys, sieze the day.

Losing Trotman was on the cards, and we coped alright without him on Tuesday. An injury or two in that area will see us right down to the bare bones until Gregan's fit. Fingers crossed.

I'm reasonably happy. It's a bit of a blow about the striker situation, I think we really need a bit of height up front and either Moore or Schwartzenegger (well, he's the only Austrian I could think of who I could spell) would have fitted the bill.

But the players we brought in are quality and in vital areas where we've looked soft or struggled. Midfield.

And it also give Lomax and Alessandra a chance after their decent performances in midweek. Sieze the day boys, sieze the day.

Losing Trotman was on the cards, and we coped alright without him on Tuesday. An injury or two in that area will see us right down to the bare bones until Gregan's fit. Fingers crossed.

Are you really sure you can spell it mate :grin:

Ktf,

Derek.

IMDB

I'm happy.

Midfield is where we've been weakest all season, and the two lads brought in should go a long way to addressing that. Having Livermore also means we can play Taylor on the right, and move Allott infield, where he's looked much more effective. I'm not too bothered about not getting a striker in, as I think young Lewis, Dean, and Davies have enough about them to score bucket loads, and if Hughes can get fit, then we'll have good competition for places. Sorting the midfield out should give us enough to supply the forward lads, even without spending silly money or taking a gamble on a journeyman.

Totally agree. I'm very happy.

People seem to think that we need a striker. We really don't. Yes, we've been a little off at times, but only at home. Why? Unbalanced midfield, as I and some others have repeatedly said. It's obvious, and Shez has looked at the issue, and hopefully sorted it.

We all saw Lewis Alessandra on Tuesday. He may just be a major surprise in sorting out our front-line at home, and possibly even our season. Obviously, it my have been a one-off, but if it's not, we've got a potentially fantastic striker, who plays through the middle.

We've now got more strength through the middle, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shez changes our system. Hopefully, they'll balance the team. I thought Jarrett actually went about sorting that out fairly quickly.

As I say, I'm very happy, and to say Shez had such little time, he's brought in 2 players who have played at a higher level, Livermore consistently so.

Are you really sure you can spell it mate :grin:

Ktf,

Derek.

IMDB

No mate. But it's closer than I could get with that lad from Liverpool with the persuasive agent. Which is just randomly pressing my hand on the keyboard for a second or two.

Note to Shez: Only sign players with easy-to-spell surnames. Could do with getting rid of that Alessspellingcarcrash sometime soon too :wink:

I'm happy.

Agree

(although bit annoyed after this post i am now danny boshell!! :disappointed: )

Edited by ste1987

Mixed thoughts really. The arrival of Jarrett and Livermore is welcome but I think we are taking a mighty risk relying on Stam and Hazell to stay fit and having to play games with a seriously inexperienced frontline. Hughes is the only striker who can claim to have any experience in the game and then we are looking are a young Davies and even younger Smalley, Wolfy and Alessandra. It would amaze me if we do not bring in a couple of loan deals to cover the gaps in our squad.

Drphibes

Agree

(although bit annoyed after this post i am now danny boshell!! :disappointed: )

I agree with most ,Lewis was that impressive Tuesday he must be given a spell in the team to get even better which would be frighteningly good. The Skies the limit.

Oh by the way Ste cracking tunes you got their,especially that Coheed and Cambria track.

I'm very pleased with the signings of Jarrett and Livermore as they give us things that we were missing.

Although disappointed about not scooping a target man, I can't be as disappointed as Shez will have been. For not 1, but 2 strikers to let us down in the manner in which they did was very unfortunate (and annoying). I would agree with the conspiracy theories regarding Moore Jr, except that it's well documented that Ronnie and Johnny have got a lot of time for each other. The crucial factor there was that Gareth Taylor moved to Donny late on freeing up Moore's move to his daddy, which, was obviously what they were both looking for.

It's almost certain (in my opinion) that we'll pick up a loan striker once the ban is lifted on 07/02/08.

P.S. Am I right in thinking that if Hull were to cancel Livermore's contract at the end of his 1 month loan, we could sign him permanently on a free?

I'm pretty happy too, I think our lack of goals is due to the lack of service rather than the strikers being bad. Now we have hopefully got a bit of creativity in midfield, and somebody who can put a decent cross in from the left I think we might just see us scoring a few. Also surely Alessandra has done enough to get a bit of a run out in the team now. The one thing I would have liked is also a left fotted full back (assuming Livermore will be playing further up field) so we had complete balance in the team, but in general I'm happy.

pinning lots of hope on the kids. People keep bringing up the 4500 fans argument, i understand that, however if you look around the league one and two attendances its pretty even apart from the likes of Nottingham F, Swansea, Leeds etc. Are you telling me we dont scout the lower divisions or cant afford the likes of Bishop, Elding ect?????? Behave. I think it might have something to do with the lack of contacts our manager may have in the managerial game???? Just a hunch :shock: