Without sounding critical - Are you really happy with the activity?

pinning lots of hope on the kids. People keep bringing up the 4500 fans argument, i understand that, however if you look around the league one and two attendances its pretty even apart from the likes of Nottingham F, Swansea, Leeds etc. Are you telling me we dont scout the lower divisions or cant afford the likes of Bishop, Elding ect?????? Behave. I think it might have something to do with the lack of contacts our manager may have in the managerial game???? Just a hunch :shock:

We probably could normally. In fact most clubs could in this division. Certainly seems that way when you see Crewe and Cheltenham chucking cash about too. It's just when Leeds get involved or clubs in the league above, we're all straight out of the race.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

pinning lots of hope on the kids. People keep bringing up the 4500 fans argument, i understand that, however if you look around the league one and two attendances its pretty even apart from the likes of Nottingham F, Swansea, Leeds etc. Are you telling me we dont scout the lower divisions or cant afford the likes of Bishop, Elding ect?????? Behave. I think it might have something to do with the lack of contacts our manager may have in the managerial game???? Just a hunch :shock:

Elding - £200K plus nice Leeds wages. Clubs at League 2 aren't giving people away, and players' agents are looking for the best deal for their clients. What we can offer is not just about transfer fees it is about a salary cap - and 4500 gates don't help that.

As for Shez contacts - I think your "hunch" is well off track. It's a prejudice unless you can show some rationale for it. Every manager has his networks - but it's not the manager who determines the selling price. It wasan't Alan Irvine and Shez agreeing the price of Trotters. Just as it wouldn't be Shez and a mate agreeing the price of a player Latics might fancy.

I hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, and this is not a moan, but the sooner we realise we wont be in the play offs the better. This squad, and the lack of additions will put pay to that. Compete yes, playoffs no!!!!

Head above heart, i'm sorry!

look at our run in compared to everybody elses, we have more than a decent chance. I try to stay positive and sometimes its hard following Oldham but i really do believe we are in with a great shout of reaching the play offs, our home form is now going to improve and with 1 hard game left vs Swansea i see no reason why we cant be up there at the end.

look at our run in compared to everybody elses, we have more than a decent chance. I try to stay positive and sometimes its hard following Oldham but i really do believe we are in with a great shout of reaching the play offs, our home form is now going to improve and with 1 hard game left vs Swansea i see no reason why we cant be up there at the end.

You mean the run of many draws that has seen us move nowhere?

Shez must have had over 300k to play with yesterday and we signed 2 loanees???? Proof is in the pudding.

I am a big shez fan dont get me wrong. The other side of the coin, if we are saying we cant compete on fees and salary, why dont we seem to reward the kids we have with mens wages?, maybe they would be happy to stay?

I am not complaining just being realistic. The added preassure off play off talk just puts pressure on the young players we have, hence the poor home form.

There wasn't any activity really. This season is over as far as I can see so looking to build for next season. Livermoore is here for a month after that who knows and Jarett for the season and then who knows. I was hoping to get some people in and bed them in for next season so we're not in the position of wholesale changes every six months, which will never ever result in promotion. Frankly I'm sick of being told we're ambitious and looking for promotion etc when that's clearly not the case. If they said there is no cash because the crowds are low and we're looking for midtable then I'd say fair play, but we're told there is money to strengthen. Yeah the deals may have collapsed for reasons beyond our control but they were frankly piss poor targets anyway... People will say we can still get a striker on loan etc, but that achieves nothing whatsoever and I'd rather that one of our kids played as I'm looking to next year and said loaner will not be here. With all the extra cash and wages cuts we've made and the FACT we were told we would strengthen I looked forward to a summer of little transition, where we might actually start the season in the first week rather than 20 points behind. But again we will start with players who have barely met. Really disappointed.

You mean the run of many draws that has seen us move nowhere?

Shez must have had over 300k to play with yesterday and we signed 2 loanees???? Proof is in the pudding.

I am a big shez fan dont get me wrong. The other side of the coin, if we are saying we cant compete on fees and salary, why dont we seem to reward the kids we have with mens wages?, maybe they would be happy to stay?

I am not complaining just being realistic. The added preassure off play off talk just puts pressure on the young players we have, hence the poor home form.

You can't hold the fact that we only have 2 loanees against Shez. News on the official website tells you that we tried to get more than that, and I'm sure Shez tried to get more players than the 4 we know about. So if people choose not to come here, I really don't see how you can hold it against the manager.

There wasn't any activity really. This season is over as far as I can see so looking to build for next season. Livermoore is here for a month after that who knows and Jarett for the season and then who knows. I was hoping to get some people in and bed them in for next season so we're not in the position of wholesale changes every six months, which will never ever result in promotion. Frankly I'm sick of being told we're ambitious and looking for promotion etc when that's clearly not the case. If they said there is no cash because the crowds are low and we're looking for midtable then I'd say fair play, but we're told there is money to strengthen. Yeah the deals may have collapsed for reasons beyond our control but they were frankly piss poor targets anyway... People will say we can still get a striker on loan etc, but that achieves nothing whatsoever and I'd rather that one of our kids played as I'm looking to next year and said loaner will not be here. With all the extra cash and wages cuts we've made and the FACT we were told we would strengthen I looked forward to a summer of little transition, where we might actually start the season in the first week rather than 20 points behind. But again we will start with players who have barely met. Really disappointed.

Money was made available for the right player not just anyone! As for loan players - lots of teams make good use of the system to get promotion etc. I dont understand why the loan system is suddenly been attacked. Its a good way for small teams like us to get good players. We probably will have a transfer revolving door in the summer again but so will most other teams at our level. I think if your disapointed now you will be for the rest of the time supporting latics the way Football is at our level at the moment.

One point hammered home to me yesterday - as players agreed to join us then vanished - is how tough the whole business of bagging players is.

Like it or not, we're in a position where agents (hiss) can screw us over and over again and that's what's happening.

So, I'm not happy with the activity and I'm sure Shez isn't either.

Agents = scum of the game.

In my mind, the biggest thing we've lacked this season is creativity and I'm not sure if either Jarrett or Livermore will provide the answer. I've not seen Livermore play so won't make comment. Jarrett looked useful in the centre but was often passing sideways and backwards, something we have in abundance already in the likes of Kalala and Allott.

I really hope I'm wrong and that both/either one proves to be what we need, but we'll lack chances & goals until we find some creativity in midfield. As for play-offs, I gave up on that long ago. We're not consistent enough, especially at home, to go on a streak of games where we'll amass enough points to get into the top 6 and stay there. Again, I hope to be proven wrong and I expect to be called a moaner/pessimist/negative bstard/whatever insult you want to concoct. I'd regard myself as a realist based on umpteen years of watching Tics fail to get out of this mediocre league.

In my mind, the biggest thing we've lacked this season is creativity and I'm not sure if either Jarrett or Livermore will provide the answer. I've not seen Livermore play so won't make comment. Jarrett looked useful in the centre but was often passing sideways and backwards, something we have in abundance already in the likes of Kalala and Allott.

I really hope I'm wrong and that both/either one proves to be what we need, but we'll lack chances & goals until we find some creativity in midfield. As for play-offs, I gave up on that long ago. We're not consistent enough, especially at home, to go on a streak of games where we'll amass enough points to get into the top 6 and stay there. Again, I hope to be proven wrong and I expect to be called a moaner/pessimist/negative bstard/whatever insult you want to concoct. I'd regard myself as a realist based on umpteen years of watching Tics fail to get out of this mediocre league.

What JJ does bring to the table is he operates 30 yards further forward than Allott, and seemes readily able to regain posession and keep things ticking over on the edge of the opposition's box. Allott invariably plays much deeper although he was much wider than usual on Tuesday night. If that was JJ at 60/70% we've got a good 'un.

While the infrastructure of the club might be healthier now (allegedly), in terms of progress on the pitch we are in no better a position than we were ten years ago. We had a last day relegation decider under Ritchie and another three years ago, and we might get one yet this season yet. Who knows?

The only real hope for this club lies in the stadium redevelopment.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Relatively happy Jarret is a good signing, and Livermore looks to be another.The Trotman money was only available at the last minute so you cant really count that as funds being available to use immediateley.

Look how forrest struggledd to spend money over the last month or so. To be honest I was happy the Moore deal fell through was somewhat underwhelmed by that proposed deal, the trannies are welcome to him. I would have much preffered a loan deal for the lad from Liverpool.

Think we we still get someone in a week or so,just glad Shezz kept his head and didnt blow his stash on panic buys.We should have a bit to play wiith for next season now when the money will be better spent hopefully.

Robert

Relatively happy Jarret is a good signing, and Livermore looks to be another.The Trotman money was only available at the last minute so you cant really count that as funds being available to use immediateley.

Look how forrest struggledd to spend money over the last month or so. To be honest I was happy the Moore deal fell through was somewhat underwhelmed by that proposed deal, the trannies are welcome to him. I would have much preffered a loan deal for the lad from Liverpool.

Think we we still get someone in a week or so,just glad Shezz kept his head and didnt blow his stash on panic buys.We should have a bit to play wiith for next season now when the money will be better spent hopefully.

Robert

Off topic, but why penryhn. i have reasons for asking, though nothing startling.

Firstly, I think Jarrett played well against the knuckle draggers and I am glad we have tied him up to the end of the season. But lets be honest the only other deal in the whole month is Livermore for a month? We had money available from the FA cup and money from the sale of Trotman, all over and above finance from the seasons budget. TTA have openly said that money is available for Shez to build the squad. So why the russian sailor and brown parcels in the eleventh hour? Other clubs have improved their squad while we have lost out on 3 players on the final day, all agreed to sign but didnt. The window is shut now and there is nothing we can do but take chances on loan players, which can be a gamble. I for one am feeling a little disappointed we didnt bring in a striker (WhiCH WAS THE PRIORITY????) I suppost the question I am asking is, what went wrong?????? - Onwards and upwards for Saturday, good luck boys! :angry::blush:B)

Just my answer to the original post thats all nothing sinister.

Robert

I'm happy.

Midfield is where we've been weakest all season, and the two lads brought in should go a long way to addressing that. Having Livermore also means we can play Taylor on the right, and move Allott infield, where he's looked much more effective. I'm not too bothered about not getting a striker in, as I think young Lewis, Dean, and Davies have enough about them to score bucket loads, and if Hughes can get fit, then we'll have good competition for places. Sorting the midfield out should give us enough to supply the forward lads, even without spending silly money or taking a gamble on a journeyman.

Absolutely spot on fella! I'm glad to see sitting behind me this season is paying off :wink: Couldn't put it better myself that lot. We really could be in for Livermore at the end of the season and I think he's quality. Hope he continues to prove my memory right and that we do get to keep him. Been saying all season that our goalscoring issues are nothing to do with our strikers (coz I believe most are good enough....Davies, Hughes, Smalley and Lewis) would've like 1 more as I like Smalley on the wing too....bit of diversity....but beggars can't be chooses. If Preston get relegated then JJ could even look at us too if still surplus to Preston. In a way, I actually do feel like we have kinda looked towards next season in these two...if the loan side works out well.

Also, once Sheff Weds injury issues clears up, we might still get the uses of Clarke without shelling out £200k. Ok, only for 3mths, but still...better than nowt if the goals don't come. Ain't all bad. BUT....and this is a massive BUT....Shez should have a cracking budget in the summer and next season seriously has to be his "coming" otherwise, more than the few dissenters will begin to feel he's hit his ceiling.

I'm reasonably happy. It's a bit of a blow about the striker situation, I think we really need a bit of height up front and either Moore or Schwartzenegger (well, he's the only Austrian I could think of who I could spell) would have fitted the bill.

Hitler? :wink: Ok...I'll get my coat!

Jarrett looked useful in the centre but was often passing sideways and backwards, something we have in abundance already in the likes of Kalala and Allott.

Possibly....but something I've often said McD needs to offer more (when he's running from midfield game ain't working due to home defences sitting in) is the passing game. Clearly he's no Wellens or KK but he's often been either no where near the ball or passing it away. JJ actually gave McD room to play the ball about a bit on Tuesday night, which I was over the moon to see. Totally complimented one anothers game. Gives us a real headache in midfield now....but for once, a positive headache of who to play.

Absolutely spot on fella! I'm glad to see sitting behind me this season is paying off :wink: Couldn't put it better myself that lot. We really could be in for Livermore at the end of the season and I think he's quality. Hope he continues to prove my memory right and that we do get to keep him. Been saying all season that our goalscoring issues are nothing to do with our strikers (coz I believe most are good enough....Davies, Hughes, Smalley and Lewis) would've like 1 more as I like Smalley on the wing too....bit of diversity....but beggars can't be chooses. If Preston get relegated then JJ could even look at us too if still surplus to Preston. In a way, I actually do feel like we have kinda looked towards next season in these two...if the loan side works out well.

Also, once Sheff Weds injury issues clears up, we might still get the uses of Clarke without shelling out £200k. Ok, only for 3mths, but still...better than nowt if the goals don't come. Ain't all bad. BUT....and this is a massive BUT....Shez should have a cracking budget in the summer and next season seriously has to be his "coming" otherwise, more than the few dissenters will begin to feel he's hit his ceiling.

Agree with most of that and would hope shez does get a fairly decent budget for the summer. Lets not forget that players are more likely to move in the summer transfer window than the January one because players contracts usually stretch over the course of seasons players contracts don't end in january. If Clarke had been out of contract in january he would have been more likely to move I'm sure wednesday would have looked upon it as achance to spend his wages elsewhere. If he moved now while still in contract he would of been entitled to compensation from wednesday. So for wednesday the best thing is to loan him out and save a percentage on wages, but have the ability to recall him if necessary. Secondly its more convenient for players to move close season rather than mid season as it gives them a little more time to settle into the area and get to know their team mates.

I don't like the idea or writing the play offs off at the begining of feb but I can't really see us getting there with this squad at this moment in time. However between now and the end of the season this team could really come together and with some additions in the summer and by August we really should be geared towards a proper promotion push not one that includes ifs, buts, and maybes like we have at the moment.

Barry Owen has confirmed elsewhere on here that efforts are continuing to bring in a striker.

you cant knock who he has signed,they have quality at this levl and above,so cant argue with these two.

and i think we may see 2 new faces in the next couple of weeks on loan,i think we could do with another striker just to give us options.