1955-56 Season

Matt

Some things never change. See the Editorial comment about the poor crowd of only 5,000 and wondering how the other 10,000 spend their Saturday afternoons.

Look at the music selection listed - this is the sort of mouldy old dross we had to put up with before rock 'n' roll!

anyone from the 'black n white' days care to explain how the score board thing (ie letters on a score board!) works???

have seen pictures of score boards with the alphabet on but not exactly sure how it works!! (page 1 of the programme!)

come on diego...you might remember!!!!!

anyone from the 'black n white' days care to explain how the score board thing (ie letters on a score board!) works???

have seen pictures of score boards with the alphabet on but not exactly sure how it works!! (page 1 of the programme!)

If I remember correctly a coloured disc was put on the board and then the scores were shown by dropping numbers into the slots against each letter e.g A 1-0. Then the disc was replaced with one of another colour and it was all repeated with the rest of the games listed in the programme. If you hadn't got a programme you asked someone what letter was so and so, or which match is letter G, having seen an interesting score?

Happy days - none of this internet on your phone business, telling you who has scored in the Greedy League before they've even finished ceebrating!

I used to watch the Reserves in the Lancashire Combination when the first team was playing away because the first team score was given out when it came through (via carrier pigeon :grin: ).

If I remember correctly a coloured disc was put on the board and then the scores were shown by dropping numbers into the slots against each letter e.g A 1-0. Then the disc was replaced with one of another colour and it was all repeated with the rest of the games listed in the programme. If you hadn't got a programme you asked someone what letter was so and so, or which match is letter G, having seen an interesting score?

Happy days - none of this internet on your phone business, telling you who has scored in the Greedy League before they've even finished ceebrating!

I used to watch the Reserves in the Lancashire Combination when the first team was playing away because the first team score was given out when it came through (via carrier pigeon :grin: ).

ta buddy!! i THINK i understand!!

a cunning ploy for you to buy a programme if ever i saw one...

khlatics4ever here

I'm showing my age here, the scoreboard when you arrived at the match had letters of the alphabet showing,

then in the program you had a list of matches for that day with a letter of the alphabet against it , at half time

as the scores were received by the scoreboard operator he removed the letter & replaced it with the half time

score

I read in the Editorial that QPR came to BP on what would otherwise have been a 'blank date'...did teams used to come and play friendly matches if they had no other game that weekend? Was this regular practice?

I think it happened occasionally when both clubs had been knocked out of the Cup, on a date scheduled for the next round.