Where have our away support gone?

Only 150 Oldham fans there yesterday, 130 at southend before christmas, 280 odd at yeovil and 100 at Gillingham. And Bistol rovers away next Tuesday will be another crowd of less than 200 I would have thought......

I understand its just been christmas, people dont have the money, long journeys and mid table football but I always think of our hardcore in recent years of around 300 at the worst. I have never recalled looking round at so many of our away games this season and thinking this is a poor turnout..... Millwall was less than 280, Walsall was very poor at less than 500. Forest on a Weeknight was nearly 200 down on the away support we took to a night match for the same fixture only 12 months prior....

Hartlepool was less than 500, I think we nearly sold out the previos 2 seasons and one of them was a Friday night....

Only against Hudds and Leeds can I recall 1000+ for a league match....

The fixture list has not been kind to us this year but why are the turn outs so low compared with previous years

Edited by NIKI1234

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of this is down to our league form this year.

Also seen an increase in 'southern games' which costs more.

Loosing Rotherham on boxing day, Bradford while chasing promotion, two against the Lashers, Chesterfield puts our bottom line following at around 300 last year which as been effected by fom, re-arranging one of the furtherest away matches a few days before the first pay day after xmas (Gillingham) after Yeovil one of the hardest grounds to get to, christmas being expensive with Leeds, Everton away and a number of home games. ....yesterdsy came after two home games in four days.

Bristol will be low, most from London may not be there as we will struggle to get the last train, personally if I do catch it still have to catch three nights buses to get home.

A lot of this is down to our league form this year.

Also seen an increase in 'southern games' which costs more.

Loosing Rotherham on boxing day, Bradford while chasing promotion, two against the Lashers, Chesterfield puts our bottom line following at around 300 last year which as been effected by fom, re-arranging one of the furtherest away matches a few days before the first pay day after xmas (Gillingham) after Yeovil one of the hardest grounds to get to, christmas being expensive with Leeds, Everton away and a number of home games. ....yesterdsy came after two home games in four days.

Bristol will be low, most from London may not be there as we will struggle to get the last train, personally if I do catch it still have to catch three nights buses to get home.

Games like Millwall and Orient were new for quite a few, or at least the first visit in quite a while, which I reckon boosted the attendances. Form definiteely plays a part as well, 4000 2800 of us went to Huddersfield last season fully expecting to see us turn them over, it does make a difference.

This sorta came up today. Personally, I think that those who have traveled to, for example, Millwall/Southend/Yeovil (3/5 of our last 5 Southern trips) should have been given like half-price travel yesterday. Certain offers like that.

It'd be nice for the owners etc other than Shez to appreciate the supportwe give. Our last 6/7 league away games have been murder, and what's been said? Nothing. Last season, when we were averaging 1000+ only the manager, who's duty it isn't, continously praised us.

A gesture would be nice. It's cost an absolute bomb. There's only Brighton now for them to at least put some offer on, but they won't.

Games like Southend a few days before Christmas and fixtures like Bristol & Gillingham away midweek wouldn’t be that well attended should we be near the top of the league anyway.

However Saturday was the first time in years I didn’t go to Swansea and I just had no desire to watch the lads and that was purely down to Lack of ambition on the pitch and everybody knows my view and what I think.

IMO the clubs going nowhere under Sheridan.

Games like Southend a few days before Christmas and fixtures like Bristol & Gillingham away midweek wouldn’t be that well attended should we be near the top of the league anyway.

However Saturday was the first time in years I didn’t go to Swansea and I just had no desire to watch the lads and that was purely down to Lack of ambition on the pitch and everybody knows my view and what I think.

.... yep everyone knows your view so your have no real need to bring it into every post!!!!!

How often do the really good away days come when things aren't that great? Forest this season was a cracker even though, or perhaps because, things were pretty rotten football wise around then. Sure the results affect attendances but you can shoot yourself in the foot if you use them as a reason not to go!

How often do the really good away days come when things aren't that great? Forest this season was a cracker even though, or perhaps because, things were pretty rotten football wise around then. Sure the results affect attendances but you can shoot yourself in the foot if you use them as a reason not to go!

I know what your saying and your right, you cant use poor form or recent results as an excuse not to go and support your team because then you wouldn’t be a supporter at all just a glory hunter.

I went to all the games you mentioned above and in fairness we weren’t playing that well at the time, I have my own reasons why I am lacklustre in supporting the cause at the moment.

Trying my best to keep the faith.

P.S

Mark oasis, your Suggestion has been duly noted.

:grin:

Saturday was the first time in years I didn’t go to Swansea and I just had no desire to watch the lads and that was purely down to Lack of ambition on the pitch and everybody knows my view and what I think.

I bet you would have been going to Chelsea if we had beaten Huddersfield.

There are many who have avoided that expensive day out in London, which they were willing to attend, but haven't or won't replace it even with a home game. It's their prerogative but it makes it hard to run the Club as successfully as most fans expect.

This sorta came up today. Personally, I think that those who have traveled to, for example, Millwall/Southend/Yeovil (3/5 of our last 5 Southern trips) should have been given like half-price travel yesterday. Certain offers like that.

It'd be nice for the owners etc other than Shez to appreciate the supportwe give. Our last 6/7 league away games have been murder, and what's been said? Nothing. Last season, when we were averaging 1000+ only the manager, who's duty it isn't, continously praised us.

A gesture would be nice. It's cost an absolute bomb. There's only Brighton now for them to at least put some offer on, but they won't.

I take your point that you are making.

BUT

Why should they put on half price travel, the people who have been to the last 6/7 Away League games have gone because they wanted to go and watch the team they love, nobody has forced them to go, they would still go if we were bottom of league. We are still losing money and lots of it so why should we spend what we don't need to

I take your point that you are making.

BUT

Why should they put on half price travel, the people who have been to the last 6/7 Away League games have gone because they wanted to go and watch the team they love, nobody has forced them to go, they would still go if we were bottom of league. We are still losing money and lots of it so why should we spend what we don't need to

Spoilsport, I was looking forward to a bus picking me up to drive down the A23 :wink:

I bet you would have been going to Chelsea if we had beaten Huddersfield.

There are many who have avoided that expensive day out in London, which they were willing to attend, but haven't or won't replace it even with a home game. It's their prerogative but it makes it hard to run the Club as successfully as most fans expect.

I would have gone to Chelsea, I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t,

Its not about money and going to Chelsea isnt that expensive as you might think, the Huddersfield fans pay £25 Adults & £12 Concessions at the bridge & Everton got charged £20 Adults for their league cup semi final so going to Chelsea would be like us playing another league game.

I am a season ticket holder and I do love going to the pilgrimage like away trips, however I am just fed up of the same failing excuses and no change.

It doesn’t make me love the club less I just started to choose a different Saturday afternoon than watching JS football.

No matter who is right or wrong the only ways to get fans watching your team is to win games, it’s the sad truth.

I would have gone to Chelsea, I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t,

Its not about money and going to Chelsea isnt that expensive as you might think, the Huddersfield fans pay £25 Adults & £12 Concessions at the bridge & Everton got charged £20 Adults for their league cup semi final so going to Chelsea would be like us playing another league game.

I am a season ticket holder and I do love going to the pilgrimage like away trips, however I am just fed up of the same failing excuses and no change.

It doesn’t make me love the club less I just started to choose a different Saturday afternoon than watching JS football.

No matter who is right or wrong the only ways to get fans watching your team is to win games, it’s the sad truth.

So does that mean that your season ticket is going spare then, cos i know at least 3/4 people that would put it to good use for.

After all Home Games means watch JS football isn't it.

Watching JS is better than watching the other JS on a Saturday Afternoon

So does that mean that your season ticket is going spare then, cos i know at least 3/4 people that would put it to good use for.

After all Home Games means watch JS football isn't it.

Watching JS is better than watching the other JS on a Saturday Afternoon

I can see your thinking there however i need my season ticket to see chaddy the owl. :grin:

So the thread turns - it's nothing to do with the way we play - would people who saw us vs carlise have thrown in the towel after it?

No. It's about a lot of distance aways and swansea's form, nothing else. Yes people would have gone to chelsea, it would have been a big occaision, but the same people might just go to a differen away that they might not have done, but it'll be split across 5 games, rather than pushed into 1.

And the missing 1500 wouldn't have gone to any game other than everton and chelse.

Funny thing is, though, we've been outstanding on the road. It's where we've won 2/3 of our league games.

I'm blaming it on the prices, hence why it'd be great to see the owners say "Thanks for that", then a £14 trip to Brighton on the coach.

I think we should bing Barlows back. :unsure:

.... it'd be great to see the owners say "Thanks for that", then a £14 trip to Brighton on the coach.

Your suggestion refers only to those who have been to the Southern games. Imagine the outcry and accusations of 'superfans' if those long-distance travellers were seen to be treated in a preferential way. It's a nice thought but I wouldn't wish all the hastle on the Club - it's just not worth it!

if im honest with you i hate travelling to away matches so theres no chance you will see me at matches like milwall and bristol rovers. i usually make 1 trip a season down south to watch oldham past few seasons have been mk dons torquay and brighton where we lost to all of them. this season its goin to be brighton again i think. i dont get to alot of away matches with them bein so far away and if that makes me a bad fan the so be it.

this season ive been to carlisle burnley donnie twice huddersfield leeds and everton away and ive missed 1 home game because i was in blackpool and that was against donnie in the cup. so i dont think i do that bad.

alot of fans are like me and dont fancy goin to far away matches. with me its also because i work til 12 on a saturday morning so i havent got a chance of makin it, but even if i didnt work on a saturday morning i very much doubt i would go to watch them play so far away.

For me aways are either: a trip out with the boys - beer & footy

a quick(ish) away night out (mid-weeks)- usually drive, so less beer

or a days out with the kids.

So for all three it's usually a 50-100 mile maximum. And cost means it's only 3-4 or so a season.

But I will be at Bristol as I'm going to be there for a few days. Kids are off school and they will be going too.

Hoping to do Donny with the kids and Crewe with the boys, maybe Vale too but there's a lot of home games around that one, so it might not happen.

Your suggestion refers only to those who have been to the Southern games. Imagine the outcry and accusations of 'superfans' if those long-distance travellers were seen to be treated in a preferential way. It's a nice thought but I wouldn't wish all the hastle on the Club - it's just not worth it!

Not really, mate. Look what Portsmouth did, and yes, I know they have money, but it's just an example: Free travel for the Blackburn away trip for ALL fans, and they had over 1500 travel up. I suppose the owners would save a lot more if we had to travel to, say, 3/5 of our recent away games, but I think everyone should get a little gesture shown towards them, because a lot obviosuly work.

Now I don't mean for them to put on that sort of offer Pompey did, but something where we can have a good 500+ on the South coast. That way, not only would we know the boys at the top actually appreciate the support given, but it'd also give the lads a boost via the support we usually give when we're all together in larger numbers. I could see a good lot of fans lapping any form of offer like that up.

Not really, mate. Look what Portsmouth did, and yes, I know they have money, but it's just an example: Free travel for the Blackburn away trip for ALL fans, and they had over 1500 travel up. I suppose the owners would save a lot more if we had to travel to, say, 3/5 of our recent away games, but I think everyone should get a little gesture shown towards them, because a lot obviosuly work.

Now I don't mean for them to put on that sort of offer Pompey did, but something where we can have a good 500+ on the South coast. That way, not only would we know the boys at the top actually appreciate the support given, but it'd also give the lads a boost via the support we usually give when we're all together in larger numbers. I could see a good lot of fans lapping any form of offer like that up.

There was some sort of offer before Christmas for the Bournemouth, Millwall and Southend games. Individually the coach seats would've been £24 each, if you purchased all 3 at the same time you paid £60 a saving of £12, I might be imagining it but i'm sure it was either on the website or in one of the programmes leading up to the Bournemouth game. The trouble with the official coaches is that they are just too much messing about, the cost is excessive and they're full of adolescents arseing about, old farts and people who shouldn't be allowed out on their own (trying to be diplomatic) When you've got a 5/6 hour journey ahead of you its a 'mare. Another problem now, is Barlows were convenient in the fact you had a choice of pick up and drop off points. Particularly useful after midweek games with BP being in the arse end of no where at 2-3am!

My own personal reasons for toning down my away attendances has been well documented i.e. i'm skint! Yet if the trains had been a little more accessible i'm sure I would have made more of an effort. I wasn't going to go to Swansea but after the good performance against Carlisle and the chance of a lift arising on Friday morning I decided to go.

I'll be honest in all the time i've been going away 90% of the time I decide at the last minute! Its a person's right to decide how they spend their Saturdays when you're in your late teens to mid-20s its a damn site easier than when you hit your 30s when other things take precedence over that 'unmissable' mid-table clash at Brighton. Those who no longer have such responsibilities would do well to remember that. Different people support the team in different ways, it doesn't make them any less of a fan and i'm sure everyone has earned their stripes as it were, but footie at the end of the day is an expensive hobby and is not the be all and end all.

As for not going because we are crap Kyle, thats no excuse we've always been crap! Over the years you find it more enjoyable in going away as the old siege mentality and blind optimism kicks in!

Edited by oafcprozac

So the thread turns - it's nothing to do with the way we play - would people who saw us vs carlise have thrown in the towel after it?

No. It's about a lot of distance aways and swansea's form, nothing else. Yes people would have gone to chelsea, it would have been a big occaision, but the same people might just go to a differen away that they might not have done, but it'll be split across 5 games, rather than pushed into 1.

And the missing 1500 wouldn't have gone to any game other than everton and chelse.

For me my lack of attendance at Swansea was down to the fact my Dad (who has family in Wales is some 7500 miles away) and the weather, in case you didn't notice it was snowing a lot in the North east on Friday (and one road i occassionally use to go South was shut entirely). Swansea for 2pm due to a rugby game i want to see (but not in a Welsh pub thank you very much) is not the easiest place to get to. I went to Yeovil (made a weekend of it) but i won't be going to Bristol Rovers. A trip to Chelsea would be nice but its a darn site easier to get to than Swansea. We were top of the league last season when we played Swansea but only took 250 odd and a lot of people stayed away due to the attrocious weather we had. We could be top of the Premier league and riding high in whatever competition you want but keeping the same amount of home support roughly the same number of people would have gone to the games you mentioned because they are pains in the ar**s to get to unless you live round the corner. It strikes me as silly that the FA don't look at things like distance when arranging mid week fixtures (OK so the Gillingham game was rearranged but how many people would we have took there on the first weekend in january and why is there a fixture list for our league that day when on average at least half the clubs are playing in the FA cup). Not everything about attendance is down to how the club (or the opposition) are playing but i will admit it does help.

These threads are often more about people showing how much of a fan of Oldham they are and it is one thing i don't like about this site is there seems to be a lot of competetion as to who can be the biggest fan. Not everyone is going to turn up to every home game, away game, reserve game, council meeting or whatever to do with this club and there are many reasons for that but the big two are time and money. I'd like to know how many of the people on this site would have turned up to go to Hartlepool for a mid week game last week or who have been to Hartlepool every time we've played them (that they can remember). Because that's the sort of journey i do week in week out to watch Oldham at home. Need i remind you that Oldham make no money from away games so it terms of the club provided the people who go give support its not that important how many go.

Anyway rant over. I do appreciate how hard some people work on this site and how many sacrifices are made to follow Oldham