Where have our away support gone?

They are not going to offer you a discount for going on long away trips because they will not make any money all the money goes to the home team(except cup ties). It would only worth it to cup ties which eon were offering free coach travel.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I travelled by National express part of the way to Swansea ...... people who know me will know what that took for me to travel on a coach with the lower class and American students. So I'm the biggest (super) Oldham fan on this site!!! :tongue1:

I feel dirty just reading that mate.

Are the seats really like the toilet in trainspotting?

Rude Medic and Prozac are spot on with what they are saying in their posts.

This im more of a fan than you business is aload of Tosh, it really does bug me as well.

Were all in this together wether we go to 1 game a season of 46 games a season. Nobody is better than anybody else they just think they are.

Can't wait for Bristol away on a Tuesday, racking up the miles watching the Blue & Tangerine machine.

Attendances have been pitiful this season, but it's always more fun when only the 'hardcore' faces are there. It's always been that way.

No problems with people having reasons ie, commitment, skint etc but anyone who don't go because we are crap, well they are instantly a cock in my book.

Re: cheap travel for those who have travelled long distances this year, I'm 99% sure that there was some sort of 'bulk' offer for buying coach tickets to Bournemouth, Millwall and Southend.

Attendances do vary depending on whether fans have been to grounds before...the Orient crowd was swelled last year not only by current form but also because many of those, like myself, who had never been to Brisbane Rd wanted to put it on the list (especially as it looked like they were going to be relegated). Yeovil was down this year because most fans will go once, to say they've been, and won't go again because it is so far away.

Take, for example, next Tuesday. I'll be at Bristol Rovers, and largely because it's another ground to put on the list, and this is the last chance we'll get to play there. I'll spend a fortune of my meagre student funds on petrol and admission...and however much I want to see the lads, I can think of a few things I'd rather be doing than spending five hours in the dark on the motorway and standing in the rain. Now I'm coming from Nottingham, add an extra four hours round trip onto those coming from Oldham and that's why we'll get a paltry turnout.

Wouldn't miss it for the world though :grin:

Edited by jsslatic

personally speaking i really admire our fans that travel (both the natives that travel away, and the exiled fans from other parts of the country!)

i tried it one season when work allowed me too..

i worked nights when dowie was in charge and did (IIRC?) 16 away matches.... that included both league and cup.. west ham / palace and QPR inc...

i mostly went on the coaches and used to finish work, get a few hrs kip then meet the coach at BP for travel to wherever.. it must be said that i did enjoy it, but it cost a fortune! so that on top of a season ticket means that a lot of folk are shelling out a small mortage on watching 'our' team.. i salute you all!!

i wouldn't judge any fan over another though! we all know what we can and cannot afford, so whether it be miles on a motorway or ££'s on tickets (if not both!) then as long as we have fans at home, and fans that attend away too, that's all our club could ask from us...

looking forward to what is now a regular feature in my diary.... brighton away!! we have friends who live down that way, and it's also my long weekend off so it's a weekend down there again....

anyone think the weather will be as nice as last season?????

No problems with people having reasons ie, commitment, skint etc but anyone who don't go because we are crap, well they are instantly a cock in my book.

Lol...not getting into this debate again myself, but got to say, pissing my sides at that comment. Spot on comment Titch! Hope you don't mind me using it as my new signature....been failing to think of one for last few days :laught16:

Edited by boundaryblue80

There was some sort of offer before Christmas for the Bournemouth, Millwall and Southend games. Individually the coach seats would've been £24 each, if you purchased all 3 at the same time you paid £60 a saving of £12, I might be imagining it but i'm sure it was either on the website or in one of the programmes leading up to the Bournemouth game. The trouble with the official coaches is that they are just too much messing about, the cost is excessive and they're full of adolescents arseing about, old farts and people who shouldn't be allowed out on their own (trying to be diplomatic) When you've got a 5/6 hour journey ahead of you its a 'mare. Another problem now, is Barlows were convenient in the fact you had a choice of pick up and drop off points. Particularly useful after midweek games with BP being in the arse end of no where at 2-3am!

My own personal reasons for toning down my away attendances has been well documented i.e. i'm skint! Yet if the trains had been a little more accessible i'm sure I would have made more of an effort. I wasn't going to go to Swansea but after the good performance against Carlisle and the chance of a lift arising on Friday morning I decided to go.

I'll be honest in all the time i've been going away 90% of the time I decide at the last minute! Its a person's right to decide how they spend their Saturdays when you're in your late teens to mid-20s its a damn site easier than when you hit your 30s when other things take precedence over that 'unmissable' mid-table clash at Brighton. Those who no longer have such responsibilities would do well to remember that. Different people support the team in different ways, it doesn't make them any less of a fan and i'm sure everyone has earned their stripes as it were, but footie at the end of the day is an expensive hobby and is not the be all and end all.

As for not going because we are crap Kyle, thats no excuse we've always been crap! Over the years you find it more enjoyable in going away as the old siege mentality and blind optimism kicks in!

Good post, alot of truth in that and some very good points made especially about getting into your 30's and priorities changing (although now I'm in my 40's :disappointed: ).

When I was in my late teens and 20's I used to go to nearly ever away game no matter how far.

These days I still have my ST and do get to quite a few away games as well but usually the more local ones (Tranny, Donny, Hudders, Leeds etc).

Going to London and south coast away games isn't about the cost for me it's about time constraints, I'm married and as the wife has little or no interest in Latics or football I simply can't justify leaving the house at about 7 in the morning and arriving home well after midnight (well not regularly anyway).

I am a lifelong Latics fan and consider myself as good a fan as anyone, but people do have a life outside and beyond Latics and get to games whenever they can, just because you don't go to every single away game doesn't make you any less of a fan.

Edited by Hometownclub

Can't actually see anyone in this post (apart from me :D ) claiming to be a better fan than anyone else ??? This gets mentioned by a few on here regulary and I just don't see it!!

Didn't mean it was in the post Mark, it is just a general observation from my time on here.

I'm married and as the wife has little or no interest in Latics or football I simply can't justify leaving the house at about 7 in the morning and arriving home well after midnight (well not regularly anyway).

I'm the first to admit that I'm in the unusual position of Mrs. S also being an avid fan of football and Latics in particular. So going to every game, home and away, is a day out for us which we're determined to enjoy, regardless of what the team serves up for us.

I don't mean on OWTB where it's not allowed. I mean people to whom I talk in the town - friends, relatives and acquaintances - some who go to 'big' games. They all say you must be mad! That makes me MAD! :angry:

Your right D_S, it really makes me angry too.

Often when I get that it's from clowns who were born and bred in Oldham, then proceed to wear Man Ure or Citeh shirts and don't even go and watch them (ever) and then criticise Oldham fans for supporting their Hometownclub. :rant.sml:

So the thread turns - it's nothing to do with the way we play - would people who saw us vs carlise have thrown in the towel after it?

No. It's about a lot of distance aways and swansea's form, nothing else. Yes people would have gone to chelsea, it would have been a big occaision, but the same people might just go to a differen away that they might not have done, but it'll be split across 5 games, rather than pushed into 1.

And the missing 1500 wouldn't have gone to any game other than everton and chelse.

I had talked our Doris into a trip to swansea on Saturday but when I got out of bed at 6.30 there was four inches of snow on the car outside. I bottled it and went back to bed. I have freed up my weekends now so shoud be able to swell the away numbers by 1. Its not about distance most of the time. It's about having the time due to other commitments (which have been impossible to get out of)

I'm the first to admit that I'm in the unusual position of Mrs. S also being an avid fan of football and Latics in particular. So going to every game, home and away, is a day out for us which we're determined to enjoy, regardless of what the team serves up for us.

You are a very lucky man D_S, I would love Mrs. Hometownclub to be an avid Latics fan. If she was we would be going to every away match and as you say making it a day out, but alas you have to have Latics as a shared interest.

She did attend a couple of home games (my attempt to get her interested) but that patently didn't work as I was having trouble keeping her awake (and we won both the games she attended) suffice to say it wasn't this season <_< .

Obviously there was a flaw in my selection technique :lol: .

Mrs. Hometownclub.....did attend a couple of home games..... (and we won both the games she attended).....

Obviously there was a flaw in my selection technique :lol: .

Not at all - your "selection" is obviously our lucky taliswoman for games at BP, but you're just not using her special powers often enough! :grin:

Guest sheridans_world

Team Competition Milage

A Carlisle FL1 124

A Burnley LGCP 26

A Hartlepool FL1 110

A Accrington JPT (N) 24

A Walsall FL1 86

A Cheltenham FL1 140

A Huddersfield FL1 22

A Doncaster JPT (N) 50

A Nottm Forest FL1 80

A Leyton Orient FL1 216

A Tranmere FL1 47

A Bournemouth FL1 238

A Doncaster FACP 50

A Millwall FL1 214

A Southend FL1 185

A Leeds United FL1 37

A Everton FACP 42.8

A Yeovil Town FL1 216

A Gillingham FL1 250

A Swansea City FL1 240

2397.8 Miles

All in bold I went to.

A Bristol Rovers FL1 177

A Brighton FL1 269

A Port Vale FL1 43

A Luton Town FL1 178

A Doncaster FL1 50

A Swindon Town FL1 172

A Northampton FL1 146

A Crewe FL1 46

1081 Miles

All in bold I intend to go to. Just for my own comparison, i've put the grounds i went to last season in italics. (We know what Diego's will look like!)

We've lost Bradford, Blackpool, Scunthorpe, Bristol City, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Brentford.

Ok so the total number of miles (from "Oldham" as per AA Autoroute) this season is 3478.8.

Now milage at my old work place was 40p a mile but where i am now its 21p a mile which comes to £730.55 in petrol.

I count 28 matches at an average of £18 a ticket comes to £504

Pie 28 x £2 - £56

2 Pints - £5 x 28 - £140

Programme - £2.50 x 28 - £70

Food on road(over 100 miles(over 200 miles counts as double) 23 x £8 - £184

I cant justify spending £1684.55 a season (plus extras!)

Just banded those figures around but if you factor in hotels at Brighton/Northampton/Bournemouth/Gillingham (where-ever you stay over) that will knock it over the £2k mark.

Obviously, some people live closer/further away.

Out of the 28 games above i'd count 12 as a long trek, (I dont think i've driven anywhere if i havent done 150miles so 150+.)

The weeks up to and after Christmas (Swansea back to Leyton Orient) come to a total of 1876 Miles! No wonder games have been poorly attended.

Anyway, look at the figures, change them and apply the to yourself and what you spend. Works out at a lot of money, longest game yet to come, the 269 miles to Brighton!

Your right D_S, it really makes me angry too.

Often when I get that it's from clowns who were born and bred in Oldham, then proceed to wear Man Ure or Citeh shirts and don't even go and watch them (ever) and then criticise Oldham fans for supporting their Hometownclub. :rant.sml:

The ones I'm talking about claim to be (armchair) fans of Latics but they can't believe anyone would be daft enough to follow the team home and away. I wonder at times if they're correct, but it's one thing for me to think that way - it doesn't give them any right to say it! :angry: