Where have our away support gone?

There's loads of peoples who's circumstances have changed since the last year. People have been looking at and moving into their first house - I can think of two off the top of my head who travelled all over last season but havent this. There's plenty who've had little nippers. Etc.

You cant blame the weather on the Swansea attendance. It was worse last season when we went there with the snow. Infact, it went on for longer in the run up to the game. Same as the Bury fans on our train going to Shrewsbury, we all went down not knowing if it was on. Luckily unlike the Bury fans, we hadnt had a wasted trip.

I've been asked to go to Millwall, Southend, Gillingham and even yesterday got asked to go Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night - the final spot in the car. Bottom line is though. I've got better things to spend £50+ on at the minute, especially when the feedback from those going the previous week isnt exactly what you want to hear.

What was it I was hearing the other week after Gillingham. 900 miles for two goalless draws which to put it bluntly. Where *Bleep*. Hardly going to get people wanting to travel is it? Even with our little run away from home we went on.

It doesnt help that we dont look like doing anything at the moment - neither going up nor down - So the only games that are appealing to me, are the one's I dont think we'll be in the same division as next season. Vale (thank god) and possibly Crewe. Only long distance one is Brighton, which i've yet to do.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that when I decided on a ST in the Paddock this year I forgot that the only way I managed to get to very nearly all of the last 15 or so games last season home and away was to spend lots of money I didn’t have and to turn myself into a run down wreck whose weekends tired me out more than the working week did. Some semblance of common sense has kept me away from a lot more matches so far, but I suspect this will go out of the window if we are in with a shout of play-offs come the end when I will revert to last year’s form of deciding I couldn’t stay away and getting royally screwed by last minute travel prices. I don’t think I’ll do this if the season is petering out, so I’d have to say that results make some difference to my attendance at Home games, which are of course like away ones for me (but without the goals and enjoyment :wink: ). I’m still a really great fan though.

Just for my own comparison, i've put the grounds i went to last season in italics. (We know what Diego's will look like!)

(I dont think i've driven anywhere if i havent done 150miles so 150+.)

I have a 150 miles round trip to home games which we combine with seeing the family. Many fans travel much farther to home matches.

I daren't reckon up the cost of following Latics, as I'm sure it would be frightening to see it in print :excl: As I said earlier each game is a day out and if we weren't going to wherever the team is playing, we'd be going somewhere else - you're a long time dead!

The economy of the country would take a massive dip if football fans weren't travelling up and down the country all the time, spending their money, and yet we're still treated like third-rate citizens. :angry: . Only Rupert Murdoch benefits from those who stay at home watching SkyTV.

Mrs. S and I (and oafc_ok) have shared some unbelieveable experiences following Latics. We've shed tears together and experienced unbridled joy, which I have never found possible to experience doing anything else (behave youselves!). I've said on at least one previous occasion that watching football is a great stress reliever! If you went outside now and shouted or sang at the top of your voice, you'd be arrested, but if you do it in a football ground following a team which is close to your heart, it is theraputic - a fact recognised by the medical profession.

Latics is such a friendly family Club that it is easy to feel part of it - officials and players recognise and acknowledge fans. Even the Greater (than) Manc copper who travels to away games knows everyone by sight - I know it's his job to pick out the known trouble causers from the rest, but it's nice to be acknowledged. The PA system wasn't very good at Swansea, but I'm sure they announced the crowd changes to our players. :grin:

:ktf:

...I managed to get to very nearly all of the last 15 or so games last season home and away was to spend lots of money I didn’t have and to turn myself into a run down wreck whose weekends tired me out more than the working week did...... don’t think I’ll do this if the season is petering out, so I’d have to say that results make some difference to my attendance at Home games, which are of course like away ones for me (but without the goals and enjoyment :wink: ). I’m still a really great fan though.

I'm one of those who believes that my support can have a bearing on the result - those who say I must be mad for following the team home and away are unaware of my belief - and that's where I differ from many fans who do attend games but also think I'm mad to believe that. I realise you're joking about being "a really great fan" - I don't class myself as a 'great fan' or one of the 'super fans' referred to by those unable to get to games. There are many who follow Latics whom I admire for the hardships they put themselves through to get to games. I've never travelled with Barlow's for a start! :grin: Their efforts are greater than mine in the whole scheme of things.

At the end of the day we're all on the 'roller-coaster' together with a common hope to see the Club survive and flourish, even if some barstewards moan more than others.

:comeon:

Surely there is only one question which works out a great fan from a normal one.

Are you going to Port Vale this year?

Yes, absolutely it's one of my never ever miss away matches as it's not to far, obvious problem being we get thumped every year but we still turn up the year and the year after.

Even though they are bottom of the league and our away form this year has been as good as I can ever remember I still wouldn't bet a penny on us getting anything from Vale Park come March 1st.

NB. I plan to use Oldham Athletic away trips as defence/to get out of jury duty at any trials I am required to attend in the future.

When Danny Standring was in Court for having trespassed onto the BP pitch to sit down in the centre circle during the 'Sharp out!' campaign, the Magistrate said this man has been following Latics for many years and therefore has suffered enough - conditional discharge! :grin:

I have a 150 miles round trip to home games which we combine with seeing the family. Many fans travel much farther to home matches.

I daren't reckon up the cost of following Latics, as I'm sure it would be frightening to see it in print :excl: As I said earlier each game is a day out and if we weren't going to wherever the team is playing, we'd be going somewhere else - you're a long time dead!

The economy of the country would take a massive dip if football fans weren't travelling up and down the country all the time, spending their money, and yet we're still treated like third-rate citizens. :angry: . Only Rupert Murdoch benefits from those who stay at home watching SkyTV.

Mrs. S and I (and oafc_ok) have shared some unbelieveable experiences following Latics. We've shed tears together and experienced unbridled joy, which I have never found possible to experience doing anything else (behave youselves!). I've said on at least one previous occasion that watching football is a great stress reliever! If you went outside now and shouted or sang at the top of your voice, you'd be arrested, but if you do it in a football ground following a team which is close to your heart, it is theraputic - a fact recognised by the medical profession.

Latics is such a friendly family Club that it is easy to feel part of it - officials and players recognise and acknowledge fans. Even the Greater (than) Manc copper who travels to away games knows everyone by sight - I know it's his job to pick out the known trouble causers from the rest, but it's nice to be acknowledged. The PA system wasn't very good at Swansea, but I'm sure they announced the crowd changes to our players. :grin:

:ktf:

You live in Burton on Trent and support Oldham Athletic?!!! What kind of nutter would make that journey every other week for a "home" match?

Shame on you. You should be following the Brewers. Your hometown club :wink::lol:

Guest sheridans_world
When Danny Standring was in Court for having trespassed onto the BP pitch to sit down in the centre circle during the 'Sharp out!' campaign, the Magistrate said this man has been following Latics for many years and therefore has suffered enough - conditional discharge! :grin:

Excellent!!

I remeber him walking on and sitting on the center spot but i didnt know who he was or what happened to him!

.....especially when the feedback from those going the previous week isnt exactly what you want to hear.

What was it I was hearing the other week after Gillingham. 900 miles for two goalless draws which to put it bluntly. Where *Bleep*. Hardly going to get people wanting to travel is it? Even with our little run away from home we went on.

Obviously it's the fault of those of us who report back on the long-distance away games, because we are not encouraging others to travel to the next game. Expect glowing reports on the Brizzle game, no matter how badly the team plays! :grin:

You live in Burton on Trent and support Oldham Athletic?!!! What kind of nutter would make that journey every other week for a "home" match?

Shame on you. You should be following the Brewers. Your hometown club :wink::lol:

:laught16: FA Trophy replay at Histon tomorrow - I would be mad to travel to that :excl:

On a point of information, is "hometown" the one where you were born and where your heart is, or is it the place where you live and whose meat-based products and film directors you support? Perhaps hometownclub could give the categoric answer to this burning question. :mmm:

Obviously it's the fault of those of us who report back on the long-distance away games, because we are not encouraging others to travel to the next game. Expect glowing reports on the Brizzle game, no matter how badly the team plays! :grin:

I expect that whatever happens at Bristol I'll be singing encouraging songs all the way down, all through the match and all the way back home.

It's what 12 cans of red bull* does to you.

*Unless they have vodka in them.

Guest sheridans_world
I expect that whatever happens at Bristol I'll be singing encouraging songs all the way down, all through the match and all the way back home.

Then you'll be singing all night in a police cell, after being pulled over. :grin:

That reminds me of a sign displayed behind the refreshment counter at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea. It apologised for not being permitted to sell vodka and for any inconvenience caused! Vodka??????

It's just dawned on me.....perhaps it's for when the rugger chaps and chapesses are in attendance supporting the Ospreys (aka Wales). I bet Sepp Blatter has decreed that vodka must not be served to football fans, whereas the Rugby Football Union realises that tonic without vodka would ruin the game for the rugger fans.

That reminds me of a sign displayed behind the refreshment counter at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea. It apologised for not being permitted to sell vodka and for any inconvenience caused! Vodka??????

It's just dawned on me.....perhaps it's for when the rugger chaps and chapesses are in attendance supporting the Ospreys (aka Wales). I bet Sepp Blatter has decreed that vodka must not be served to football fans, whereas the Rugby Football Union realises that tonic without vodka would ruin the game for the rugger fans.

Even a Southern madman like you must be able to see some reason why selling vodka Reb Bulls to fake Burberry clad Swansea chavs at the football might have different consequences to selling V & Ts at the egg chasing?

We had the discussion about the vodka later that evening ...... I'm sure it said it was down to licensing Laws that that couldn't sell it!!! Yet they sold beer ... pre-poured from their last home match.

Port Vale probally on this year .... down to the simple fact its not actually mid-week making it impossible for me to get home

:laught16: FA Trophy replay at Histon tomorrow - I would be mad to travel to that :excl:

On a point of information, is "hometown" the one where you were born and where your heart is, or is it the place where you live and whose meat-based products and film directors you support? Perhaps hometownclub could give the categoric answer to this burning question. :mmm:

My definative answer to your question D_S is your Hometownclub is the place were you were born, to me it is your birthright to support the club from the place you were born.

People move and live all over the country and indeed the world for all sorts of different reasons (usually work/family etc) but you never lose your birthright.

A part of you is always were your roots are and were you are fromOldham.

:comeon::comeon::comeon: