Where have our away support gone?

Even a Southern madman like you must be able to see some reason why selling vodka Reb Bulls to fake Burberry clad Swansea chavs at the football might have different consequences to selling V & Ts at the egg chasing?

Never having drunk vodka Red Bull, wouldn't other spirits with Red Bull affect on the chavs similarly? Why only not permitted to sell vodka?

I bet the rugger chaps/chapesses are rather partial to the old vodka Red Bull when they feel like swinging from the chandeliers and showing their arses...all in the best possible taste and tradition of course!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are of the same mind! Some of us were actually born at the hospital when it was called Boundary Park. :tongue1:

I still get a bit of a buzz from the fact that my birth certificate states my place of birth as "Boundary Park".

I do wonder just how anyone in the same position could possibly support another team

My definative answer to your question D_S is your Hometownclub is the place were you were born, to me it is your birthright to support the club from the place you were born.

People move and live all over the country and indeed the world for all sorts of different reasons (usually work/family etc) but you never lose your birthright.

A part of you is always were your roots are and were you are fromOldham.

:comeon::comeon::comeon:

Do I have to support Colchester then just because my Dad was there with the Army? Good job my mum (+ Dad) got back from Germany sharpish or I'd have a terrible journey to "home" games?

Do I really have to support my home town team????

Looks like Dale will be getting double the crowds from now on, sorry LL its Dale for us now

Can't I plead ignorance? We moved to just over the Royton side of the border when I was 4 months old, and I do have two birthdays, so I don't see why one of them couldn't be allocated to Oldham.

Surely there is only one question which works out a great fan from a normal one.

Are you going to Port Vale this year?

Or is the question:

If you normally went to watch your son play, would you still go all the way from Oldham to Swansea for a 2.00pm kick-off if he wasn't playing through suspension?

Chris Taylor's dad was there complete with No.18 shirt, when most of us were colourless.

Team Competition Milage

A Yeovil Town FL1 216

Well done for working this out but is this using the aa route or the one given in the programme. As the one given in the programme had you go much further down the m5 and hang a left going on some quick country roads to yeovil. The aa route had you go kinda through Bristol and straight south. I did both that day and i'd reckon the programme one is the right route (unless you don't know how to overtake or drive at 70mph on the motorway). The programme route (from the point it divided) was about 5-10 mins quicker and it ended up being 240 miles from my house (in heywood) to Yeovil so i'd think it'd be about 235 from Oldham.

As for supporting your home town team where i've lived since before i started going to football is technically part of Rochdale (Heywood). But I once got from my house to Boundary Park in 5 minutes (speeding most of the way and getting lucky with the lights) getting to Rochdale would always take me triple that. Should I support Rochdale or should I support Oldham which is closer (in terms of time and possibly distance), how about Bury (where i went to school). But what about the two big Manchester clubs (after all when anyone asks me where i come from i say Manchester- technically true since i was born at St. mary's). My Dad is a born and bred welshman and if you'd have asked him what football team he supported 35 years ago he'd have said Cardiff, ask him now and he'll say Oldham, which was down to a grateful patient.

I've got no problem with people from the Oldham area supporting either Manchester team (nor anyone from Greater Manchester, Lancashire, most bits of Cheshire and even some bits of Staffordshire). Quite often these people would go to watch ManUre or Thasskin town if they could (mainly i'll admit Manure) but they don't. Why not, because they are the nearest big team to their location and when it comes down to it if you are growing up and mainly watching football on the TV you are going to support a team in the premiership. What i don't like is people from anywhere else who supports Man Ure (or any team no where near where they live/brought up), who stop those fans from going. An Irish team would have probably done something in Europe if all those people that travel week in week out to teams like Manure or Liverpool went to watch their local team (or instead of buying the kit brought their local teams kit instead). Go anywhere in the world and say your from Manchester and people will talk to you about Man Utd, the rich ones even spend money on the official merchandise. They don't remember Man Utd being in the then second division or Fergie being saved from his job by a very fortuous cup run all they remember is George Best, or Cantona or whoever. They don't remember a cold spring evening in Oldham all they remember is Munich, Barcelona or the last time the team went to their part of the world to play a lucrative friendly. Football has tribal roots and it was one tribe against another and you couldn't change tribes just because yours wasn't as good as the opposition. I keep suggesting to exiled fans with no connection to their club should read 'Soccer Tribe' by the famous anthropologist Desmond Morris who explains things much more eloquently than I. Or if you want a bit of humour try the fast show skit with the glory hunter.

:laught16: FA Trophy replay at Histon tomorrow - I would be mad to travel to that :excl:

On a point of information, is "hometown" the one where you were born and where your heart is, or is it the place where you live and whose meat-based products and film directors you support? Perhaps hometownclub could give the categoric answer to this burning question. :mmm:

An interesting question. I don't really have a "hometown". I was born in Oldham and ALL my family come/came from Oldham but I left there in 1975.

I spent my adolescence and early adult years in the Burton area before moving to Cumbria. I then moved back to Burton. In 1997 I moved to Thailand. I've lived in SriRacha almost as long as I lived in Oldham.

I'll always support the Latics but certainly don't consider Oldham to be "home". In fact I don't even consider England to be "home" anymore and haven't for a long time but I continue to cheer for the national team. I support my local team here and Thailand when they play internationals.

I think I'm with Ian Brown on this one. "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at!"

.... is it the place where you live and whose meat-based products and film directors you support?

The Swansea fans had been chanting at him "What's it like to be a Manc?". That's the ultimate insult not only for Oldhamers but especially for someone born in Burton-on-Trent - ask my grandchildren! We chanted back "What's it like to play for Wales?"

Not only did the Jack Ultras on Saturday not know that Davies came from Burton, but also the catering staff had never heard of

512Z0EDDM7L._AA280_.jpg