What's The Highest / Smallest Travelling Support You Have Been Part Of ?

Excluding FA Cup/League Cup Games I would say the highest travelling support I can recall was at Barnsley, early in our promotion season (September 1990) where we took over, well over ! 5000.

Fewest I have been part of was the less than a hundred at Plymouth, November 1988 (3-0) loss.

I do also recall Latics playing the "Lambs To The Slaughter" at Chelsea in the mid 1980's which was featured on Match Of The Day (Sunday Afternoon as I recall). The camera panned on the huge open terrace behind the goal to reveal a "travelling army" of some 50 or so. Not exaggerating here, does anyone else remember this televised game ?

So what is the highest/smallest Latics travelling support that you have been part of ?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest - probably Southport in 1974. Only about 10 at the time so not sure how many we took but can remember a large traffic jam full of Oldham fans on the way into Southport and all 4 sides it seemed full of our supporters.

Southend away this season was pretty lonely - especially 10 minutes before kick off when I counted about 30 of us. Luckily it filled up, if you can call it that, to about 200.

Guest oa_exile
........So what is the Lowest Latics travelling support that you have been part of ?

West Ham , night match , early eighties , think there were about 40 of us , was swelled though with about 100 Coppers around us :grin:

Anyone else go to Workington Town away in the league cup 1st round on a Tuesday night in about 1975? IIRC went on a Stotts coach which was the only one and wasn't full so I suppose there were about 40 of us. Think we won 3-1 and 3-0 in the home leg.

We took a massive amount to York in the 1973/74 Promotion season,counted around 60 Coaches and loads went on the train.

In the seventies you could never tell how few we took to some places as there was not always segregation,didnt think we had a lot at Old Trafford 74/75 until we scored and there was quite a roar from three quarters of the ground.

My mates went to Swansea for a night match early eighties,counted around 35 fans.

Personally,Plymouth away 1978,just over 100 went on 2 coaches that stayed for the weekend in Torquay.That was run by Craig Salt of the Junior Supporters Club.

Highest: Blackburn away in the 90/91 season, I think. They beat us 2-0... there's a surprise, eh? We were doing well, obviously, so we took a fair few over. Still remember the crushing disappointment walking away from Ewood Park.

Lowest: Luton midweek match a few seasons ago - both mid-table obscurity with nothing to play for. Some Luton mates of ours pointed us out in the 'crowd' to a steward and got him to pass us a cake for my mate's birthday, who I was with. Can't have been more than 50-odd in the entire away end.

Does it count if the travelling Latics army was split into two sections. As i went when we beat Chelsea in the Premiership where although there were probably about 750 Latics standing up there were only 7 of us sitting down, (me, my Dad, two couples and the bloke who used to present on GMTV). We were in a section designed to host about 1500 and shared catering facilities and the like with the Chelsea fans, (one Chelsea fan about my age at the time 9/10 remarked during half time that we were :censored: despite us beating them 1-0). Apart from that the smallest travelling army i've been part of was possibly a game to Hartlepool when traffic problems meant some fans were late (i don't tend to go to small gate games). Having said that in terms of % of the gate i reckon any trip involving Man Utd where they only gave us 900 seats (do they still do that btw) as got to be up there.

In terms of largest gates, Wigan, (during the Dowie years), Bury and last year to Crewe we had loads and probably over half the gate.

The lowest away following was 9 at Hartlepool in a pre-season friendly night match round about 1987.

I was also in the 33 at Ancona in the Anglo-Italian Cup. That crowd of 311 is the lowest ever recorded for a competitive game involving Latics.

Also been one of the two at away Reserve games. :grin:

The largest I would think would have to be against Forest at Wembley.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

The lowest away following was 7 at Hartlepool in a pre-season friendly night match round about 1987.

I was also in the 33 at Ancona in the Anglo-Italian Cup. That crowd of 311 is the lowest ever recorded for a competitive game involving Latics.

There were more than 5 at Hartlepool. There were 5 of us in the stand. There were also four lads in the away end. They briefly invaded the pitch when we scored!

Guest oa_exile
Excluding FA Cup/League Cup Games I would say the highest travelling support I can recall was

I was wondering who would be the first to say that :grin: , also was awaiting Everton from someone as well :grin:

Well done D_S :grin:

15 loyal latics fans away to morton in anglo scotish cup ,never forget that night ,as my cousin and i set off the day before the match kicked off , we both hitchiked to scotland ,we spent the night in glascow ,not a nice place at night for 2 16year old kids we got the first train out to greenock , no shops were open so we slept on a bench ,lucky a cafe opened up later on ,we went to the ground at 11am they let us both in and we were allowed to sleep in the away changing room which had a log fire in ,the changing room was freshly painted but i wrote oldham athletic on the wall of the showers , a day i will never forgot along with 15 other latics fans and how on earth did i forget when i went to newcastle by helicopter which i hired ,as it was a jewish holiday my mum said i cannott go to watch latics who at the time where away at st james park knew someone(x radcliff boro chairman )owned a helicopter so i hired his helicopter and i sneaked out of my house and only 5mins from my house is a park so the helicopter landed there and lucky the pilot knew newcastle so i landed near the ground 15 mins from kick off i was lucky as i met john ryan x latics and toons player he got me in free , not sure what the score was but my mum never knew i had gone , it cost me 150 quid but was worth every penny at the time ..

Edited by boboafc

There were more than 5 at Hartlepool. There were 5 of us in the stand. There were also four lads in the away end. They briefly invaded the pitch when we scored!

You'd think it would be easy to remember such small numbers. I edited my 5 to 7 to take account of the two lads in the away end, but if you say it was four then I stand corrected. So it was 9 in total, not 7 and I'll edit my post accordingly.

That's the one, yeah. Think we hit the post a couple of times as well and Mimms made some ridiculous saves. They had two chances and took them both. The injustice still rankles.

Simon Garner comes to mind! Since then we've given him plenty of stick at Wycombe when he's been the club's pre-match representative in their social club.

The lowest away following was 9 at Hartlepool in a pre-season friendly night match round about 1987.

What are your memories of travelling to Italy ?

Really interested Diego........

1982 orient v latics last match of the season and sadlysir jimmy frizzells last match as manager , i hired a taxi to go down to orient with col shaw sue shaw and big pete mcelhatton cost 250 quid return ,i also was the ball sponser that day ,and had my name in orients prog too (still got it today)

Edited by boboafc