What's The Highest / Smallest Travelling Support You Have Been Part Of ?

lol, probably a good call!

But I'm seriously beginning to worry that it's my fault we're still in the 3rd division. I was initially only coming to Thailand for 12 months and thought that it would be a good break and when I returned the Latics would be back in the second division.

However, nearly 11 years later I'm still over here and Oldham are still down there!! Coincidence?!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really get the opportunity to get to many away games, being a poor student and all, but the highest was probably Trannies away, first match of last season, or one of the many times I've seen us play away at Bloomfield Hole.

The lowest is definately when we were at Clyde, pre-season. 60-80 of us there, tops! Didn't think there would be so many, looking back.

Keep the Faith

But I'm seriously beginning to worry that it's my fault we're still in the 3rd division. I was initially only coming to Thailand for 12 months and thought that it would be a good break and when I returned the Latics would be back in the second division.

However, nearly 11 years later I'm still over here and Oldham are still down there!! Coincidence?!!

How can you live with that on your conscience? :grin: Now you've outed yourself, our fortunes may take a leap for the better! Onwards and upwards.

That was the exact moment I decided to emigrate!! Seriously!!

That's another life-changing experience whilst watching Latics! Just think, if you hadn't gone to that away game you would have been an active rather than passive B.A.L.L.S. It proves that away games bring more results than one might expect.

How about at BP? We've seen some criminally low away followings, and also some impressively large ones too.

I think for large followings, the Manchester clubs aside, Sheffield Wednesday have always impressed. Even when they were down here with us a couple of seasons ago they brought along a decent 3-4k.

What always stays with me for pitifully low away ones are two. Ipswich in 1989 when Roger the Dodger broke the record. Snow was coming down slanted and around 20 or 30 Tractor boys were huddled together on the old Rocky Road terrace in the middle pen. Pity was really felt for them because when we were 3-0 up they were moved to the Broadway Upper. I think we also played Plymouth on a Friday night just before Xmas 1990. Away fans were then (for a season) kept in the Broadway paddock and you could count them as they were all stood against the wall; again about 20 of 'em.

Could Bournemouth on a Tuesday in a few weeks be similar d'ya think?

How about at BP? We've seen some criminally low away followings, and also some impressively large ones too.

I think for large followings, the Manchester clubs aside, Sheffield Wednesday have always impressed. Even when they were down here with us a couple of seasons ago they brought along a decent 3-4k.

What always stays with me for pitifully low away ones are two. Ipswich in 1989 when Roger the Dodger broke the record. Snow was coming down slanted and around 20 or 30 Tractor boys were huddled together on the old Rocky Road terrace in the middle pen. Pity was really felt for them because when we were 3-0 up they were moved to the Broadway Upper. I think we also played Plymouth on a Friday night just before Xmas 1990. Away fans were then (for a season) kept in the Broadway paddock and you could count them as they were all stood against the wall; again about 20 of 'em.

Could Bournemouth on a Tuesday in a few weeks be similar d'ya think?

Milton Keynes Dons in the first season as such brought about 30 to Boundary park but they were the loudest 30 people at football. Outsinging people who had brought a lot more. I remember Bury bringing about 100 for a game once which is pitiful since they are so close. Oh and when we had our first pinch-me season didn't we batter some big Russian team 4-0 in a pre season friendly and they had about 4 people following them.

Can't be mate didn't start going til 88 and then i missed the first few games of the season.

I think that was at the start of the 88-89 season. I think they're allowed to be exempt because Czecholsovakia was still a communist country around then wasn't it? the 4 were probably military representitives or worked in the Czech foreign ministry or something. God, how random was that friendly after countless rose bowls or Isle of Man trips?

Excluding FA Cup/League Cup Games I would say the highest travelling support I can recall was at Barnsley, early in our promotion season (September 1990) where we took over, well over ! 5000.

Fewest I have been part of was the less than a hundred at Plymouth, November 1988 (3-0) loss.

I do also recall Latics playing the "Lambs To The Slaughter" at Chelsea in the mid 1980's which was featured on Match Of The Day (Sunday Afternoon as I recall). The camera panned on the huge open terrace behind the goal to reveal a "travelling army" of some 50 or so. Not exaggerating here, does anyone else remember this televised game ?

So what is the highest/smallest Latics travelling support that you have been part of ?

lowest :- monkey hangers boxing day 04/05 away and we lost :angry:

highest :- newcastle. way back when i was a kid. in with the geordies standing only rochdale road end, it was just a muddy grass bank latics scarf in pocket chitin myself, freinds of my family visiting thats how ended up in there! lost again :blush:

I think we also played Plymouth on a Friday night just before Xmas 1990. Away fans were then (for a season) kept in the Broadway paddock and you could count them as they were all stood against the wall; again about 20 of 'em.

I remember that Plymouth game (we won 5-3) also around that same time I remember a midweek home game against Charlton. The away fans were stood in the Ford Stand lower paddock, there was about 7/8 of them we drew 1-1 and it was the first time I ever heard the chant Come in a Taxi you must have come in a Taxi.

I was also in the 33 at Ancona in the Anglo-Italian Cup. That crowd of 311 is the lowest ever recorded for a competitive game involving Latics.

I went to the away game against Genoa that season, I remember the official attendance being given as 2000, but my recolection was about 100 Latics fans and 1 man and his dog in the Genoa end. It's certainly the lowest first team game attendance I have seen.

Mind you the whole trip was a bit of a blur after we found that pub in the centre with Elephant Beer on draft so I could be wrong with the numbers.

Edited by ghostofcecere

I could swear it was Banik Ostrava and I'm sure I have the programme somewhere. However the record book shows that we beat Dynamo Tbilisi 4-0 on 5th August 1989, six days before winning 1-0 at Tranmere.

We played both Dynamo Tiblisi and Banik Ostrava at BP in pre season friendlies around that time, but I'm pretty sure it was Banik Ostrava who brought the 4 away fans.

I could swear it was Banik Ostrava and I'm sure I have the programme somewhere. However the record book shows that we beat Dynamo Tbilisi 4-0 on 5th August 1989, six days before winning 1-0 at Tranmere.

We did play Banik Ostrava at BP and won 4-0. At the time, I was living in Springhead so it would be between early 1987 and late 1988. My deduction therefore (as it was a pre-Season friendly), is that it would have been July/ August 1987 or 1988.

It was a very hot day and I weeded the back garden in the morning before setting off to BP on the 184 bus.

Ahhh, Dynamo Tblisi does ring a bell. But then so does the score 3-1 which I think was against that Czech side (All I wanted for Xmas was a Banik Ostrava home kit). I think we had them in concecutive pre-seasons. One thing I am totally clear on, is they both cornered the market in dodgy, thick mullet hairdo's. I'm sure this fella played for them at some point...

mulletting.jpg

I wonder if anyone knows how they came about (The friendlies I mean, not the hair!)? We've never had any links to Eastern Europe, they just appeared a bit randomly after the usual teams we'd normally play. Were they over for a tour and just happened to get lost in the area on the day of a match?

We did play Banik Ostrava at BP and won 4-0. At the time, I was living in Springhead so it would be between early 1987 and late 1988. My deduction therefore (as it was a pre-Season friendly), is that it would have been July/ August 1987 or 1988.

It was a very hot day and I weeded the back garden in the morning before setting off to BP on the 184 bus.

Not recorded in the reference book. I'll try to find the programme..........one day.

Not recorded in the reference book. I'll try to find the programme..........one day.

It was definitely 4-0 against Banik Ostrava. I didn't go to the Tblisi match as I was living in London.

Anyway, Prozac will be along later to confirm the details. He'll probably also be able to name the 4 Czechs who were in attendance off the top of his head as well!

Swindon away, early 90's in the cup, won 1-0.

I remember it being a half decent day when we set off, and the weather became increasingly bad on the way down, got to Swindo and it had just absolutely poured down, we parked up and went to the chippy, i asked for chips and gravy, silly thing to do really!

Got in the ground, and it flung it down, at the time we were stood in the corner uncovered but there was a tiny area that was covered were no more than 100 or so fans were huddled together unlike myself and the drunken ass that is Kelvin, we were stood in our red and white away shirts, freezing on the open terrace, im sure Bernard scored because when we scored it was towards us and you see me and kel on the clip!

Got back to Moorside and we were buried in snow, about 3 foot deep up ripponden rd.

Ipswich away 91', maybe not the biggest away following, but the loudest!

I was in the paddock as the ground was swamped with Latics everywhere and the away end was crammed, and the noise was awesome.

The game i was thinking off was therefore against Dynamo Tibilsi who are Georgian (but would have been USSR in those days). I can't see them bringing a lot given the Berlin wall didn't come down until 3 months later .

Ipswich away 91', maybe not the biggest away following, but the loudest!

I was in the paddock as the ground was swamped with Latics everywhere and the away end was crammed, and the noise was awesome.

Probably my favourite ever away game, I was in the home end and at the end of the game I just had to join in the pitch invaision with the other Latics fans.

I got over the advertising hoarding an Ipswich steward clearly though I was an Ipswich fan and tried to stop me getting on to the pitch, I explained I was a Latics fan and he let me go. He then realised what he'd done and shouted after me "hey hang on a minute, you shouldn't have been in there then!" I was laughing my head off as I ran across the pitch to join the celebrations.