What's The Highest / Smallest Travelling Support You Have Been Part Of ?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasmt it tiblisi who turned up and where shocked to find a plastice pitch.

so we bought them some astro boots to use for the game only,and they had them away after the game, think we won 3-1 a few days after losing 3-2 to bradford in another friendly at home.

We did play Banik Ostrava at BP and won 4-0. At the time, I was living in Springhead so it would be between early 1987 and late 1988. My deduction therefore (as it was a pre-Season friendly), is that it would have been July/ August 1987 or 1988.

It was a very hot day and I weeded the back garden in the morning before setting off to BP on the 184 bus.

Looking through my programmes - no mention of Banik Ostrava in the programmes around the time of pre-season '87 or '88, yet pre-season fixtures are listed. I have some vague memory that the match happened - was it arranged at short notice, hence it not being listed in the programmes?

Dynamo Tbilisi was August 5th 1989 - I have the programme for that - maybe that's the one Diego's currently searching high and low for :D

CCF04022008_00000.jpg

CCF04022008_00000.jpg

Noting from the progamme that the referee was Roger Dilkes from Mossley reminds me of the week he spent at BP receiving treatment for an injury. Then on the Saturday he reffed us at Elland Road. He didn't want to give any impression of favouritism towards his physiotherapist's Club, so he leaned so far the other way that he gave Leeds a penalty when the Latics keeper punched the ball! He said it was Paul Bernard. :angry:

That brings me to the question when did FIFA decree that keepers could wear short-sleeved shirts? I always thought they had to wear long sleeves of a different colour to the other players to avoid confusion such as Dilkes's. :mmm:

Noting from the progamme that the referee was Roger Dilkes from Mossley reminds me of the week he spent at BP receiving treatment for an injury. Then on the Saturday he reffed us at Elland Road. He didn't want to give any impression of favouritism towards his physiotherapist's Club, so he leaned so far the other way that he gave Leeds a penalty when the Latics keeper punched the ball! He said it was Paul Bernard. :angry:

That brings me to the question when did FIFA decree that keepers could wear short-sleeved shirts? I always thought they had to wear long sleeves of a different colour to the other players to avoid confusion such as Dilkes's. :mmm:

The programme also seeks to calm fears that the club were set to merge with another club or move from BP. Rumours had spread following the announcement of a planned meeting at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I think the meeting turned out to be the launch of the 'Starline' Scheme.

The programme also announces the rebranding of the club shop as 'Latique'. :)

The programme also seeks to calm fears that the club were set to merge with another club or move from BP. Rumours had spread following the announcement of a planned meeting at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I think the meeting turned out to be the launch of the 'Starline' Scheme.

I remember that Starline (and being locked outside the Civic Centre) - that's when Alan Hardy really knew how to "stage an event"...

Lowest (non cup) was Brighton away midweek around 1988 - we took one coach and we just went for the sake of it.

Biggest (non-cup) I would say Barnsley away when we filled their open away end and Marshy did the honours. Or, as some have said previously, Blackburn away when we used to be there in numbers and always lose...

Anyone remember a wet midweek game at Bournemouth in the late 80/early 90's when they took pity on us and let us the paddock becasue it was hamering it down.

I think Cup games were not included but what was the Latics attendence for the Cup game v Thurrock. I know 4, me and I saw Ernie, Phil Mayall and his son IIRC.

Note to the doom and gloomers.

The Latics side that day for the Thurrock game:

Pogs

Holden

Beharrall

Hall D

Griffin

Croft

Appleby

Lee

Eyres

Vernon

Killen

Subs:

Boshell

Barlow

Tierney

Bossu

Hall C

And in the Thurrock side Tresor Kandol, what happened to him?..

Edited by singe

my lowest away crowd Plough lane , Wimbledon - must have been early 80's - living in Oxford but staying in Reading that tuesday night decided to go and watch the lads . It was a very cold windy night and we lost 1-0 to a very late Lawrie Sanchez miss hit shot . I counted 12 in the away end !

Out of interest...how many turned up to the QE Hall that day roughly? Anyone remember?

As for that programme, gotta love the names for Tbilisi team....look all made up! Wouldn't have like to have been commentator on that one! :grin:

I was at that Banik Ostrava game.

Didn't they have one Pavel Srnicek in goal, or is that my withering memory playing tricks on me again?

The Banik Ostrava game was in August 1990, we won 3-1

The Tblisi game as illustrated was the year before. We won 4-0

We also beat Seattle Storm 3-0 in August '88

Edited by Ackey

Of the unofficial / pre-season games stories, I know of what must have been our lowest away followings... The Seychelles 'tour' around 1992/93. A mate of mine from Blackpool was one of only two Latics fans that made the trip (some woman from Derker apparently). He had some quality stories about that trip, of which included Graeme Sharp getting the right hump because he'd cleaned up after Craig Fleming scored the first goal (and there was a sweep going on between players and mate was invited to take part). Sharp refused to pay out because he "wasn't a player" and was a proper miserable sod about it.

We had a pre-season tour in Norway / Sweden around the early 90's as well I think, including one game seemingly in a clearing in the middle of a huge forest. I don't suppose there were many Latics that made it over there either.

We did play Banik Ostrava at BP and won 4-0. At the time, I was living in Springhead so it would be between early 1987 and late 1988. My deduction therefore (as it was a pre-Season friendly), is that it would have been July/ August 1987 or 1988.

It was a very hot day and I weeded the back garden in the morning before setting off to BP on the 184 bus.

The Banik Ostrava game was in August 1990, we won 3-1

The Tblisi game as illustrated was the year before. We won 4-0

Prozac is correct - looks as though your memory is playing tricks with you about the date of that weeding I_C! :grin:

Prozac is correct - looks as though your memory is playing tricks with you about the date of that weeding I_C! :grin:

Clearly I went to the Tblisi game and not Banik Ostrava as it was definitely 4-0. And clearly I moved to London a little later than I thought. The late eighties though were a bit of a purple haze.

It was good stuff that I was growning in the back garden. Just ask Rog. :wink:

That's interesting as I was at that match and I just realized the "Seattle Storm" is now a women's basketball team! http://www.wnba.com/storm/

The Seattle Sounders replaced the Storm's football team... http://www.seattlesounders.net/

The Sounders will be a new MLS franchise (hate that word) next year so they'll be looking for some expensive has-been ex-England players (a la Beckham). Any ideas?

And I think it's time Latics returned the compliment from 1988 and played Seattle Sounders here in the US!!

That's interesting as I was at that match and I just realized the "Seattle Storm" is now a women's basketball team! http://www.wnba.com/storm/

The Seattle Sounders replaced the Storm's football team... http://www.seattlesounders.net/

The Sounders will be a new MLS franchise (hate that word) next year so they'll be looking for some expensive has-been ex-England players (a la Beckham). Any ideas?

And I think it's time Latics returned the compliment from 1988 and played Seattle Sounders here in the US!!

I'm sure they were originally known as the 'Seattle Sounders' during the ill fated NASL

I'm sure they were originally known as the 'Seattle Sounders' during the ill fated NASL

I think you're right. It's probably a legal thing where you have to change your name if you go out of business.

I was just surprised they were called the Storm when Latics played them in 1988. I have the program here somewhere. The Storm must have taken that name on when the Sounders "re-surfaced".

I think you're right. It's probably a legal thing where you have to change your name if you go out of business.

I was just surprised they were called the Storm when Latics played them in 1988. I have the program here somewhere. The Storm must have taken that name on when the Sounders "re-surfaced".

Its not a programme as such its just a printed both sides sheet of A4, very poorly typed!

Its not a programme as such its just a printed both sides sheet of A4, very poorly typed!

Well, I, er, called it a programme as I was hoping a 'collector' might have read my post and made me an offer for it until you blew it for me! :wink: