old latics fans

just been thinking of the latics fans i used to know back in the 70's/80/s anyone know the where abouts of john whitehead (national express driver ) fat doc , phil the daffadil (only know first name) pud, carl longsdale paul dutson dave roberts (lived in london) carl broadbent ,carl spiers kenny jones tony kirton (jim kirton's bros) ian hough gus green and one fan who won the lottery (latics one) while in prison ,anyone know anyone ????

Edited by boboafc

Just reminded me Bob ......... Dave told me to say hello last week!!!! Daves still traveling with OASIS, oftern there is just me and him ...... only Dave can arrange for us to arrive for a 8pm away game at 1.30pm (Kings Lynn) .... I'll sort out contact details later for him if you want them.

P1010644.jpg Mr Roberts with the other OASIS lads at Southend

Just reminded me Bob ......... Dave told me to say hello last week!!!! Daves still traveling with OASIS, oftern there is just me and him ...... only Dave can arrange for us to arrive for a 8pm away game at 1.30pm (Kings Lynn) .... I'll sort out contact details later for him if you want them.

P1010644.jpg Mr Roberts with the OASIS lads at Southend

dave is the one with the green cap on ?

just been thinking of the latics fans i used to know back in the 70's/80/s anyone know the where abouts of john whitehead (national express driver ) fat doc , phil the daffadil (only know first name) pud, carl longsdale paul dutson dave roberts (lived in london) carl broadbent ,carl spiers kenny jones tony kirton (jim kirton's bros) ian hough gus green and one fan who won the lottery (latics one) while in prison ,anyone know anyone ????

Phil the Daffodil!! Good grief. There was also a big lad, Dutty - you may have mentioned his name. And there was a red haired lad who went everywhere but was always legless. Once, at Birmingham, he was that drunk he couldn't manage to get back up the steep terracing. And what about caveman!!! Not to mention your goodself Bob. Was it you who once paid for the coaches to take fans to Derby?

Joe will love you for that one!! Nope ... Dave stood up left of the A in the black jacket

Was it you who once paid for the coaches to take fans to Derby?

Not sure if it was Derby but Dave told me that Bob did it for one game

yes it was me who paid for 10coaches to go to derby 1980 sadly we lost 4-1 after paul futcher scoring first for latics had my name chanted by latics fans worth every penny ,but i wish i had that money know as i would be over a few times a year to see latics ,(must rob a bank soon ) so thats dave roberts at the he has shrunk since i last saw him ,but say hello to him from me , has he a pc email ???

Edited by boboafc

yes it was me who paid for 10coaches to go to derby 1980 sadly we lost 4-1 after paul futcher scoring first for latics had my name chanted by latics fans worth every penny ,but i wish i had that money know as i would be over a few times a year to see latics ,(must rob a bank soon )

When we beat Derby at the Baseball Ground with a Palmer goal on the opening day of the season, my birthday was announced on the scoreboard, courtesy of a Derby fan friend. Birthday presents don't get much better than that result for bragging rights! B)

You old Bugger Bob!

Phil the Dil,was called Phil Higgins,Always remember him chasing a bolton fan who nicked his scarfe over the Motorway by pass at the back of the old Burnden Park,Perhaps he is still chasing him now.

Carl Spiers moved to the promised land (Royton) and I see him on a regular basis,will text him to get in touch with you.Kenny Jones still goes and funnily enough Tony Kirton was sat behind me when we played Hudders last week.

Jim Rag still makes it as does his brother Steve who sometimes posts on here.

Dutty used to go on the Booze cruise,not been on that for a few years, Carl Broadbent last seen working for Pulse in Royton about 15 years ago.

I will go and get my Cocoa now and get the Matron of the home to tuck me in!!!!

Phil the Daffodil!! Good grief. There was also a big lad, Dutty - you may have mentioned his name. And there was a red haired lad who went everywhere but was always legless. Once, at Birmingham, he was that drunk he couldn't manage to get back up the steep terracing. And what about caveman!!! Not to mention your goodself Bob. Was it you who once paid for the coaches to take fans to Derby?

Could the red head be Daryl Sykes? If it is last I heard he was alive and well and living in Sydney. Cant remember the names of the guys he used to hang around with though.

When we beat Derby at the Baseball Ground with a Palmer goal on the opening day of the season, my birthday was announced on the scoreboard, courtesy of a Derby fan friend. Birthday presents don't get much better than that result for bragging rights! B)

Remember their fans calling us sheepshaggers - crazy fools!

Interesting thread this!

I think Dave Roberts is the chap I met many years ago when Latics came to Cork to play Cobh Ramblers (a dire 0-0 draw with Sharp as manager - and no Andy Richie!) ... I was just a young lad then, but it was brilliant to meet Dave and the lads after in the small clubhouse for a couple of pints (yes, I think I was under the legal drinking age!)...

I can remember swapping addresses with Dave - but being a silly teenager I lost the slip of paper I had his on. Yet - presuming I have the right guy here - there's still a Christmas card every year since then from the London based Latics!

At a Latics match about 9 years ago in Boundary Park (the last one I went to with my Dad, who is responsible for bringing me up a Latics fan, before he passed away in 2000) I put a note up on the notice board in the Clayton Arms thanking anyone who was at that Cobh Ramblers match for some good post-match memories.

If I have the right guy, and anybody can pass this on to Dave, can you pass on Christmas greetings for the last 15 years or so? I certainly owe him quite a few Christmas pints!

`And there was a red haired lad who went everywhere but was always legless. Once, at Birmingham, he was that drunk he couldn't manage to get back up the steep terracing`

thats dutty allways drunk ,once he fell alseep on sheepfoot lane on a car roof

`And there was a red haired lad who went everywhere but was always legless. Once, at Birmingham, he was that drunk he couldn't manage to get back up the steep terracing`

That could be mad Eddie from Glodwick who used to hang about with Mouse and Gus Green

Did he get very drunk very quickly? The funniest one was when we were at Sheff.Wed the season of the Stainrod/Curran inspired riot. I was with my mate from school. We were shocked to find ourselves at the side of their end of the ground with a very small wall between us. He came up to us and I hadn't met him before. He slurs what sounded like 'are you an Oldham :censored:house?' I looked at my mate and, yes, we certainly felt like that. Then he repeated with a slight smile, 'are you from oldham, where's the :censored:house.' We laughed and thought, 'standing in front of you.' Then again, their end of the ground was very large and intimidating, especially after one of the worst riots ever.