greegan on the mend

says on official site that greegan did some light running on friday and will hopefully get the all clear to start training on thursday.

seems to put paid to some rumours that he is to be paid off and leave.

however if all goes well and he is able to play again soon,would you put him back into the back four.....or try him in midfield...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pay him off and let him go!!!!!!!!!

no wonder he told trotman to go preston because it will be easier for him to get back in the team..

You want to pay one of our best players somewhere in the region of £250,000 not to play for us again? You should become a stock market trader in France.

Guest sheridans_world

Great, can we sell him for £500k as well?

In my opinion he wouldnt get on the bench at the moment, never mind in the team.

He's contracted until the end of next season too :(

says on official site that greegan did some light running on friday and will hopefully get the all clear to start training on thursday.

seems to put paid to some rumours that he is to be paid off and leave.

however if all goes well and he is able to play again soon,would you put him back into the back four.....or try him in midfield...

For me would go straight back in at Centre back.... all this cack about paying him off, people are starting to forget about what this man can do! How fickle some fans can be.... You can hardly blame him to the start of the season we had! The squad is missing big influential players... we need him back!!

Guest sheridans_world
For me would go straight back in at Centre back.... all this cack about paying him off, people are starting to forget about what this man can do! How fickle some fans can be.... You can hardly blame him to the start of the season we had! The squad is missing big influential players... we need him back!!

I disagree, Hazell and Stam have a great partnership and i wouldnt break it up. Only way Gregan gets on the pitch is if Hazell or Stam get injured or suspended. Other than that, he'd have to be a midfielder, but we have more of them now than soft mix!

I'd have him straight back in the line up too as soon as he is ready, a few reserve games first and a game or two on the bench then back into the back 4. An excellent centre half for us, alright he's had a few bad games for us as well, but his pro's certainly outweight his cons. Plus he actually speaks to the other players on the pitch! i have never seen a quieter team of players on the football pitch than we have!

The rumour was because of his injury ie early retirement. I think the defence has performed really well without him, but we need bodies back in the squad fighting for places, so i'd welcome him back, but not an automatic starter.

I disagree, Hazell and Stam have a great partnership and i wouldnt break it up. Only way Gregan gets on the pitch is if Hazell or Stam get injured or suspended. Other than that, he'd have to be a midfielder, but we have more of them now than soft mix!

I’m convinced that Stam has incriminating pictures of half of our fan base (even allowing for the section of our fan base who would love to have incriminating pictures taken with him – you know who you are :wink: ). He has consistently been the weakest link in our defence for quite some time now. Granted we haven’t been shipping a load of goals but the defence has been well protected. His flowing locks and champagne moments just don’t make up for his rate of errors for me.

I'm convinced that Stam has incriminating pictures of half of our fan base (even allowing for the section of our fan base who would love to have incriminating pictures taken with him – you know who you are :wink: ). He has consistently been the weakest link in our defence for quite some time now. Granted we haven't been shipping a load of goals but the defence has been well protected. His flowing locks and champagne moments just don't make up for his rate of errors for me.

Totally and utterly agree mate.

Stam is ALWAYS prone to at least one, or two gaffes a game. Sometimes they amount to nothing, sometimes they result in a goal. He seems to have overcome his injury nightmares these days mind.

I'd certainly have Gregan back. He was just hitting form when he got injured after a sluggish start to the season. He talks and marshalls defence. Stam and Hazell have an adequate partnership (Yes, adequate... and even then Hazell is the better player IMO) going but I think long term Gregan gets his place back. Can't see Shez leaving him out of the side at all.

There are reports on another thread from people who travelled to Swansea that Stam was rather less than foot perfect (again) and Hazell managed to cover and get him out of trouble.

Gregan will be straight back in the team when fully fit (at Stam's expense) as he is one of the only players at the club who talks on the pitch, and contrary to some opinions he is certainly one of the best two centre halves at the club and an absolute mountain for us in the air.

Totally and utterly agree mate.

Stam is ALWAYS prone to at least one, or two gaffes a game. Sometimes they amount to nothing, sometimes they result in a goal. He seems to have overcome his injury nightmares these days mind.

I'd certainly have Gregan back. He was just hitting form when he got injured after a sluggish start to the season. He talks and marshalls defence. Stam and Hazell have an adequate partnership (Yes, adequate... and even then Hazell is the better player IMO) going but I think long term Gregan gets his place back. Can't see Shez leaving him out of the side at all.

Although Stam looks more comfortable alongside Rubes he'd be on the bench,cost us the winner on Saturday with his indecision, whereas instead of fannying around Gregan would've cleared the stand with that one. Beckett wouldn't have scored either if Seany boy had been playing and i'm sure a couple more of the headed goals we've conceded lately might not have gone in. Greegs may be cack on the ground but if its above head height the guy wins it 99% of the time. Stammy played well v Brighton, but all his old failings and indecision were there to see on Saturday. Unfortunately the guy spends more time on his arse than he does defending. I thought he was tremendous until getting injured at Cheltenham last season.The player that has come back is slow, cumbersome, indecisive and lost his ability to pass to a same coloured shirt. Sorry Stammy no better than cover when Gregan is fit and i'll be surprised if you get another contract. Harsh but true. Rubes has proved there are cheap quality defenders around and Rubes and Gregan were playing well as a partnership before the beast's injury.

Although Stam looks more comfortable alongside Rubes he'd be on the bench,cost us the winner on Saturday with his indecision, whereas instead of fannying around Gregan would've cleared the stand with that one. Beckett wouldn't have scored either if Seany boy had been playing and i'm sure a couple more of the headed goals we've conceded lately might not have gone in. Greegs may be cack on the ground but if its above head height the guy wins it 99% of the time. Stammy played well v Brighton, but all his old failings and indecision were there to see on Saturday. Unfortunately the guy spends more time on his arse than he does defending. I thought he was tremendous until getting injured at Cheltenham last season.The player that has come back is slow, cumbersome, indecisive and lost his ability to pass to a same coloured shirt. Sorry Stammy no better than cover when Gregan is fit and i'll be surprised if you get another contract. Harsh but true. Rubes has proved there are cheap quality defenders around and Rubes and Gregan were playing well as a partnership before the beast's injury.

Before the moral police come charging in quoting injustices and Stam musn't be made a scapegoat, no-one's making him a scapegoat. The fact is some of the goals we have conceded lately have been due either him switching off or clear indecision such as on the touchline on Saturday.

why are you so sure of this? greegs fannys about way too much. will probably dislodge stam eventually though as he is captain.

And throw into the mix that the last minute goal we conceded to Leeds at BP came after Gregan had put it in to Z row.

Swings and roundabouts innit? Sometimes Z row is the right option, other times playing it out from the back is the right option.

Its a funny old game Saint

It sure is Jimmy, it sure is.

why are you so sure of this? greegs fannys about way too much. will probably dislodge stam eventually though as he is captain.

I slightly agree Greegs can fanny around at times but not actually on the touchline, as he's got the turning circle of a suoper tanker with chalk on his boots out wide that ball would've only gone one place............Row Z. Greegan likes to arse about in the middle third, thinking he's Mattias Sammer when realistically he's about as skilful as a pack of Mattessons! Still have him over Stam, shame though it is not the player he was. Its not just fitness as he's been back in the team since October, I feel injuries have taken their toll on his manoeverability

And throw into the mix that the last minute goal we conceded to Leeds at BP came after Gregan had put it in to Z row.

Swings and roundabouts innit? Sometimes Z row is the right option, other times playing it out from the back is the right option.

Its a funny old game Saint

It sure is Jimmy, it sure is.

When you are drawing 0-0 with the allotted 3 minutes injury time played Row z imho is the only option. Not our fault that twonk of a ref played well over 5 minutes. The tosspot was always going to play until they scored.

There are reports on another thread from people who travelled to Swansea that Stam was rather less than foot perfect (again) and Hazell managed to cover and get him out of trouble.

Gregan will be straight back in the team when fully fit (at Stam's expense) as he is one of the only players at the club who talks on the pitch, and contrary to some opinions he is certainly one of the best two centre halves at the club and an absolute mountain for us in the air.

Agreed. Just hopes he accepts the blame for his own shortcomings and not shift it to others.

Can't Stam play on the left? Gregan Hazell CB pairing with Stam and Eards LB and RB?

Would think Livermore is nailed on to play LB on aturday with the return of Taylor, with Shez again dropping Kelvin (mystifyingly). Think Stam will drop to the bench and as you rightly say be left back or LCB cover. I think as Shez said he wanted a midfielder and a Left back thats where Livermore will play. May be wrong but Shez has hardly gone out of his way to play young Kelvin has he?

When you are drawing 0-0 with the allotted 3 minutes injury time played Row z imho is the only option. Not our fault that twonk of a ref played well over 5 minutes. The tosspot was always going to play until they scored.

i think when he has had a few reserve games he will be back as defender.

we aint got much cover there now experience wise,and if were still hoping of mounting a push for the play offs then experience counts.

i do think it will be as a replacement for stam,but it wouldnt do stam any harm having a rest for a few games,with his injuries over the years it has taken its toll,so maybe needs to recharge his batterys so to speak.

now we have jarrett n livermoore midfield is out.

Would think Livermore is nailed on to play LB on aturday with the return of Taylor, with Shez again dropping Kelvin (mystifyingly). Think Stam will drop to the bench and as you rightly say be left back or LCB cover. I think as Shez said he wanted a midfielder and a Left back thats where Livermore will play. May be wrong but Shez has hardly gone out of his way to play young Kelvin has he?

I'm torn by this. I think Livermore would be more effective as a left winger (granted he isn't naturally and I didn't see him play on Saturday), and give Taylor a chance on the right again. I know he didn't look good last time he played on the right but maybe he needs another chance there. On the other hand, Taylor needs someone decent behind him on the left to link up with. I think it's half the reason he's had a few off games.