Programme

£3 and its poo :P

3 quid! It used to cost 3 quid to get in when I was a lad etc. etc.!!

I preferred "Beyond The Boundary"'s "Away Goals Count Double" articles. Great stuff.

Edited by martjs

Personally, I think the programme is pretty good. It's not just full of the usual stuff and there are always a few interesting features/ Q&A sessions which tell us more about the players and their families. As has been mentioned, some of the stuff from fans is an interesting read and we make a real effort when it comes to the away side.

I agree that £3 is a bit much. The thing is though, not much about football is value for money. We buy stuff to help our Club in most cases and so pay over the odds provided that we can afford to do so. I can totally understand why many give it a miss though.

What I cant understand is that since the programme has gone up to 3 quid the sales must have gone down ! Most people who sit around me say they no longer get it .. and ask to see mine if anyhing important is in it .....

So my thinking is this:

If we sell 2000 programmes at 3 quid, the club makes 6 k

But

If they reduced the price to ?? 2.50 they will increase sales to say 2600 and therefore make 6.5 k ...

The the commercial dept can sell the advertising space in the programe for an extra ??? 20 quid a section, therefore increasing the clubs commercial revenue while still providing the same product at no extra cost ??

Companies will pay a bit extra for advertising if you can state that the demographic and market section of the readership is higher each season, so I can never understand why they increase the price and reduce the readership numbers ! ??? :unsure:

i used to buy it but never read it until after the match!

don't ask why, cause i don't know! so i thought that it was a bit of a waste of money, and i do frequent the shop and buy the usual stuff like shirts (twice a season!!!!!!!)

so i work on the theory that they wont miss my £3..

I stopped buying it when it went up from £2 coz I thought it was a rip-off then.....that plus the fact most of the stuff in it was on the website, led to my decision. They get my £3 a week through clicking through the website anyway...so its swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned. Love the mobile website....use that more than the main one....just hope they get paid as much for it, per click.

The programme is regularly voted one of the best by the magazine Programme Monthly and I have to agree. There's a good deal of historical content, the feature on the away team is always good, and there's a strong layout.

£3 is not cheap - but neither is it exorbitant. Well done Gordon Lawton on production and content. (And I have a feeling that the club may have done its sums on the x at £2.50 or y at £3....they're not commercial muppets)

Cheers I'm not going to comment on how good it is, but the best bit was the bloke who used to write about his away days someone on here i presume

That was Broady who does come on here. He is the guy who does the PA whilst Franny is on the pitch. he stopped doing the write up as he was getting very busy with his radio show on Revolution and other stuff.

I cant beleive nobody likes my write up......I guess that's why Gordon doesnt print it sometimes after ive spent over an hour writing it :mad:

:wink:

Personally, I think the programme is pretty good. It's not just full of the usual stuff and there are always a few interesting features/ Q&A sessions which tell us more about the players and their families. As has been mentioned, some of the stuff from fans is an interesting read and we make a real effort when it comes to the away side.

I agree that £3 is a bit much. The thing is though, not much about football is value for money. We buy stuff to help our Club in most cases and so pay over the odds provided that we can afford to do so. I can totally understand why many give it a miss though.

I_C please forgive me being nosy but are you involved with the club other than a supporter.

I_C please forgive me being nosy but are you involved with the club other than a supporter.

i remember getting in for a quid,and the programme was 50p.!!!

i used to always buy one,but then the price goes up and doesnt justify the buying of one.

if none has mentioned it before,maybe a good idea would be to reproduce the match day programme in pdf format,and sell it online for a couple of quid,so those that cant get to games,or the ex pats can dowload it and find out whats going on etc etc.

might make a few extra quid for the club,and shows that the clubs diversity for its fans is second to none.

Programmes are of little use of relevance since the internet came of age.....

and at £3 I would rather get a burger meal deal :)

So why do clubs still produce them and why do people still buy them? I know this board is about opinion but your insular and self opinionated stances are .......

Amo - Nothing to do with the Club but I was elected on to the Board of Trust Oldham in November. As you know, that is independent from Latics and is for the fans, by the fans.

I'm a supporter of OAFC (perhaps with a little too much time on my hands recently) and I do like to perhaps put a positive slant on things. I'm sure some would say that makes me a happy clapper but I do see that there is an awful lot wrong as well particularly on the pitch. Through some of the joint developments that we have made with OWTB and also, the Planning Decision shenanigans, I have got acquainted with a few people at the Club.

Prior to that, I did know a few of the staff ot OAFC personally and I know how hard they work - eg Stu Vose with the Official Site and Gordon Lawton with the Programme. A lot of it goes unseen which is why I perhaps seek to redress the balance at times where there is criticism.

I can see where you are coming from mate but all I'm trying to do is perhaps even the balance and make people think alternatively where I think it appropriate. Nothing more than that!

Amo - Nothing to do with the Club but I was elected on to the Board of Trust Oldham in November. As you know, that is independent from Latics and is for the fans, by the fans.

I'm a supporter of OAFC (perhaps with a little too much time on my hands recently) and I do like to perhaps put a positive slant on things. I'm sure some would say that makes me a happy clapper but I do see that there is an awful lot wrong as well particularly on the pitch. Through some of the joint developments that we have made with OWTB and also, the Planning Decision shenanigans, I have got acquainted with a few people at the Club.

Prior to that, I did know a few of the staff ot OAFC personally and I know how hard they work - eg Stu Vose with the Official Site and Gordon Lawton with the Programme. A lot of it goes unseen which is why I perhaps seek to redress the balance at times where there is criticism.

I can see where you are coming from mate but all I'm trying to do is perhaps even the balance and make people think alternatively where I think it appropriate. Nothing more than that!

PM'd you

So why do clubs still produce them and why do people still buy them? I know this board is about opinion but your insular and self opinionated stances are .......

Bloody hell mate....grow up abit.....

People collect them.....I guess thats why....and some people get to the ground early and want something to kill the time.....but IN MY OPINION (if thats ok with you) programmes are of little use or relevance since the internet came of age.....

I guess they still do them because enough people still buy them.....but I doubt the numbers are all that high these days.....specially considering the price and with the INTERNET (just thought id spell it out) the news in it is usally out of date before it is printed.....

Edited by oafc0000

Bloody hell mate....grow up abit.....

People collect them.....I guess thats why....and some people get to the ground early and want something to kill the time.....but IN MY OPINION (if thats ok with you) programmes are of little use or relevance since the internet came of age.....

I guess they still do them because enough people still buy them.....but I doubt the numbers are all that high these days.....specially considering the price and with the INTERNET (just thought id spell it out) the news in it is usally out of date before it is printed.....

My my. Anyway, if progs are of no interest or relevance why is it , and these are your words , "enough people still buy them"?

No problem with your opinion - that they are of no relevance or interest to you. But the way in which you then make an ex cathedra statement that they are of no relevance or interest at all is not the same thing.

You make your choice about whether to buy them or not , fair enough, but the stats about programme sales across the Football League are that the last three years has seen an increase in sales. Despite the internet.....

My my. Anyway, if progs are of no interest or relevance why is it , and these are your words , "enough people still buy them"?

No problem with your opinion - that they are of no relevance or interest to you. But the way in which you then make an ex cathedra statement that they are of no relevance or interest at all is not the same thing.

You make your choice about whether to buy them or not , fair enough, but the stats about programme sales across the Football League are that the last three years has seen an increase in sales. Despite the internet.....

I DIDNT SAY THAT AT ALL !!!!!

I said of "little use or relevance".....if you want to read someones post and take it EXACTLY as typed then be prepared to have it thrown back in your face....

Your getting very eat up and personal about something that is not all that important....I think my OPINION is there to see.....its only you that is trying to read between lines and put words in people mouths....

I dont know why people like you come on here.....your not hear to debate your just here on a wind up....its very childish....

EDIT: Where are these stats....no doubting your point of view that they have gone up but I would like to see them.....

EDIT 2: I did PM you about your post and its a shame you chosse to continue your attack in the open forum instead of discussing behind closed doors, tut

Edited by oafc0000

I DIDNT SAY THAT AT ALL !!!!!

I said of "little use or relevance".....if you want to read someones post and take it EXACTLY as typed then be prepared to have it thrown back in your face....

Your getting very eat up and personal about something that is not all that important....I think my OPINION is there to see.....its only you that is trying to read between lines and put words in people mouths....

I dont know why people like you come on here.....your not hear to debate your just here on a wind up....its very childish....

EDIT: Where are these stats....no doubting your point of view that they have gone up but I would like to see them.....

Shouting too....

Calm down and read what the thrust of your "opinion" is. And "little" use or relevance hardly alters its thrust.

Will give you exact stats as soon as I dig them out.

As for Pming me - if you choose to comere on the board , expect to get replied to on it.

Edited by LaticsPete

Shouting too....

Calm down and read what the thrust of your "opinion" is. And "little" use or relevance hardly alters its thrust.

There is a massive difference betweem "not at all" and "little"....your understanding of the english language is poor....

Little is suggesting that some people still buy it but I belive they are collectors and the people that arrive early.... I very much doubt the take up in the ground is at all big...but it is certainly big enough to warrant doing it.....

My thrust is that on the whole the program is not relevant and is of little use....and I belive the majority of people belive this exspecially since the internet contains so much information and is one of the first sources of information....

Your trying to put words in my mouth and steer the thrust instead of taking it as read....or asking me to further explain my opinion....

Now post your stats....and if you dont like my opinion then feel free to debate....but dont go name calling because someone holds a different view....

It really would be intresting to know what percentage of the crowd still buy the program.....only one of my group of about 30 buy it.....we usally all nick it to have a quick finger through and none of us belive its worth buying......I doubt the majority of the crowd feel much different....

Edited by oafc0000

That was Broady who does come on here. He is the guy who does the PA whilst Franny is on the pitch. he stopped doing the write up as he was getting very busy with his radio show on Revolution and other stuff.

I cant beleive nobody likes my write up......I guess that's why Gordon doesnt print it sometimes after ive spent over an hour writing it :mad:

:wink:

Your write up is funny though i've told many a joke from it but most of the time they are ones i've heard before. I can't remember the last time either me or my Dad didn't get a programme (usually my Dad TBH as i've got into the habit of staying later in the pub) even at away games when you don't really care about what merchandise they have on sale or what community function a player you are going to hate for 90 minutes has been to. A programme is also quite good to read at half time or during boring bits of the game or even to look up the name of the player who has been taking us apart for the last 5 minutes. Having said that there is definately a mark up for certain select programmes such as cup finals or big games. They can be a good investment as something you paid 20p for 30 years ago is now worth £100.