Multi-millionaire backers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Moore was (and probably still is!) a very big Stockport County and he had his heart set on buying them.

Unfortunately for him (and us), the then chairman, Brendan Elwood refused his advances and the rest is history that we'd rather forget.

So why is he often been spotted sitting with dirty Red Scum fans? Don't believe he's a fan of SCFC whatsoever...possibly muted it when he tried to get his grubby mits on them though.

From midnight I'm not posting on here for forty days and forty nights, but I'll continue to read posts in which people spell Diego incorrectly. :blink:

opps ,but you must remember diego is not a english name so i am not used to writing in spanish lol

There's no way that Chris Moore could have predicted 9/11, which ruined the world's economy or the Oldham riots, which destroyed the town. He also seperated from his mrs, and faced losing half of his dwindling wealth.

I understand why he bailed, just with the way he did it and the state he left us in.

Chris Moore took over OAFC several months after the riots.

Oi. Having resided in many places North; South; East and West, I can assure you that Darlington is one of the nicest towns that I have had the pleasure to live in. 100k population and surrounded by vast swathes of green fields on all sides.

I agree that Reynolds is a, .........well let's just say egomaniac and it was very funny to see the "Reynolds Arena" signs ripped down very shortly after completion!

As Jeff Stelling wrote when Darlo went into Administration, "The Madness of King George".

Who are you kidding IC Darlo looks nice compared to Boro and Stockton but they are both sh**holes. You forget to mention that quality orange glow which appears mainly from the east and can be seen from miles away. It does have some nice countryside around it but then again so do most of the places up here and its only the Pennines on a smaller scale. I wouldn't live there but i'd be more than happy to work there (after all its only 25 mins on the train from the very picturesque city of Durham). :)

As to Chris Moore he made his money selling computers to the NHS (at the taxpayer's expense), (I'm not going to comment anymore than that about his computers as it would be highly libellous and i'm not sure they'd fit but i'd try). He left Oldham in loads of debt (some of which was to the tax-man) and now he's back with a bigger company making money selling to the public sector again. I don't think he likes the tax man. Put it simply the only good thing he did was to do it when he did otheriwse we'd have gone down as the season later the -10 point penalty came in for going into administration and we only survived by the skin of our teeth. Its not a nice thought but i just hope that whoever his doctor is when it comes down to it knows what he did to the NHS.

Chris Moore - I would love to know the true story behind the 'crisis' that followed the "Go hard or Go Home Season". Some odd and contradictory stories at the time that have been supplemented by rumour and speculation ever since. But it was exciting for a while wasn't it? Though I do remember feeling as ashamed as I have ever been supporting Latics with the "We've got loads of money" chants in the early days at Bury away.

TTA - they seem more grounded. Bought the ground over silly signings and huge wage bills, but willing to back Shez enough in my opinion to try and serve something worthwhile on the pitch whilst the club is trying to get the finances on a steady footing. Yes we have loads of land that we (at present) do nothing with. So if TTA make some money from that land and we still own enough for our clubs needs with a newly developed stadium - I think they could part with no malice from the fans (or at least me).

Overall big money backers are an interesting subject. For me, anyone that is not a fan of the club concerned will be viewed with some level of doubt. Football (with one or two exceptions) is not a business that makes money in large amounts if at all - so why would you do it? And if you do, unless you do it in a sustainable manner, you are building a pack of cards with no foundations.

Even if they are a fan - something can happen that can still dump the club into crisis (death / financial collapse etc). Given the amount of emotional investment we fans put into our clubs, why would we want to risk the entire future of them to single individuals?

But they do make watching a small, going nowhere teams, suddenly more exciting. Remember Stop the Rot? We have benefited from the phenomenom - not as much as Wigan / Chelsea - and we are looking upwards not down.

But whilst we are dependant upon single individuals to cover weekly losses - we are always at risk from another summer from hell.

Didn't Moore leave the NHS software area when Torex merged with iSoft (who are connected to Barnsley)?

afaik he de-merged the retail arm and went with that and ended up with SFO and plods raiding his offices due to accounting irregularities?

Didn't Moore leave the NHS software area when Torex merged with iSoft (who are connected to Barnsley)?

afaik he de-merged the retail arm and went with that and ended up with SFO and plods raiding his offices due to accounting irregularities?

Please read my post above re: rumour and specualtion and Chris Moore

Chris Moore - I would love to know the true story behind the 'crisis' that followed the "Go hard or Go Home Season". Some odd and contradictory stories at the time that have been supplemented by rumour and speculation ever since. But it was exciting for a while wasn't it? Though I do remember feeling as ashamed as I have ever been supporting Latics with the "We've got loads of money" chants in the early days at Bury away.

TTA - they seem more grounded. Bought the ground over silly signings and huge wage bills, but willing to back Shez enough in my opinion to try and serve something worthwhile on the pitch whilst the club is trying to get the finances on a steady footing. Yes we have loads of land that we (at present) do nothing with. So if TTA make some money from that land and we still own enough for our clubs needs with a newly developed stadium - I think they could part with no malice from the fans (or at least me).

Overall big money backers are an interesting subject. For me, anyone that is not a fan of the club concerned will be viewed with some level of doubt. Football (with one or two exceptions) is not a business that makes money in large amounts if at all - so why would you do it? And if you do, unless you do it in a sustainable manner, you are building a pack of cards with no foundations.

Even if they are a fan - something can happen that can still dump the club into crisis (death / financial collapse etc). Given the amount of emotional investment we fans put into our clubs, why would we want to risk the entire future of them to single individuals?

But they do make watching a small, going nowhere teams, suddenly more exciting. Remember Stop the Rot? We have benefited from the phenomenom - not as much as Wigan / Chelsea - and we are looking upwards not down.

But whilst we are dependant upon single individuals to cover weekly losses - we are always at risk from another summer from hell.

Yep, Stop the Rot was just before my time. Only caught the end of it with the Red Card STR campaign in the Chaddy End and the finale leading up to JWLees finally buggering off as main owners....passing it onto Brierley and co. SAFE then evolved (which I was quite involved in, but not as much as some individuals) and it was this that attempted and succeeded in persuading Brierley and co. in putting the club up for sale. And also raising the profile of the club a bit....if only briefly....with SAFE days etc. To that extent, I've often questioned whether I should feel some guilt towards that leading to CM arriving at the club and nearly killing it. And the answer I've always come to is.....no, not really.

Whilst others were making those chants at Bury....I remember being sickened at that game...I hated Bury but couldn't believe we were singing that at them.....SAFE tried to make inroads into sitting down with CM and discussing the future of the club and how we could help. Whilst being questioned what the point of SAFE was now CM was here and many loved and soaked up the fact we were supposedly "rolling in money" behind the scenes, SAFE and Carl Marsden especially tried his utmost to get some real concrete comittments from CM. But all we got was a standoff-ish response every time, delivered by Sean Jarvis. And Bob Telfer, his sidekicked (mentioned above) to talk to. He showed us architects plans of what they hoped for BP....with office blocks filling in corners of the ground etc. All very ambitious. For me, had we not made these attempts....then maybe I'd feel guilty. But CM's era from day one was iffy.....just nobody cared to hear it.....as we were buying Allan Smart for this and Chris Killen for that....

The final act was one I don't think Carl Marsden will ever forget, as he says it was quite chilling. He managed to arrange a meeting with CM hours before he pulled the plug. In it, he assured Carl he was going nowhere. Anyone who knows Carl need only ask about that meeting....he'll openly tell you that he's never seen a man tell lies as convincingly as he did that day, in full knowledge of what he was about to do. It does make you wonder what the man is truly capable of in life....and I don't mean good things.

He also seperated from his mrs, and faced losing half of his dwindling wealth.

that was the story i heard too...

believe he was having a bit on the side somewhere and got found out and she was ready to clean him out....

landing a naffing helicopter on the sacred grass of boundary park? should of been shot down for that alone!

believe he was having a bit on the side somewhere and got found out and she was ready to clean him out....

landing a naffing helicopter on the sacred grass of boundary park? should of been shot down for that alone!

Exactly! He got some young'un "up the duff" so his missus kicked him out. Hardly room for tea and sympathy on that score.

He was only copying Robert Maxwell!

And to think, The Resident's Association could have told him all about the Emergency Helicopter Landing Pad for the Mountain Rescue Team on Clayton Playing Fields. :grin:

Again - another speculation story I have heard. Most odd story I heard at the time was that his sister had called GMR phone-in at the start of the crisis telling everyone it was a mistake and Chris was sticking with the club - did that ever happen? (the phone call - not him sticking by the club).

Wonder if he would ever tell the story from his point of view in the future?

Chris Moore took over OAFC several months after the riots.

Very factually stated, but wrong, because I remember being jubiliant at the fact that we had a new money bags owner and being gutted weeks later.

Evidence:

Chris Moore bought latics at the start of May 2001 and the sale went through before the riots.

Wikipedia shows that the riots took place on May 26/27.28 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_Riots

Chris Moore's purchase was confirmed before this (BBC article dated confirming sale -)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/1345499.stm