Fabio Capello OUT!

CAPELLO IS OUT TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW TO WIN ..

Fabio Capello has set out his vision to bring success to the England team - but warned that his task is not going to be easy.

On the eve of his first test as England manager, the Italian stressed that only 38% of players in the Premier League are available to him while his Spanish counterpart has 61% of players in the Primera Liga to choose from.

Capello is concentrating on building up a group mentality in the England squad, fostered by some strict new rules while players are together at their training camp and based on mutual respect.

The proof of the pudding will first be sampled against Switzerland at Wembley on Wednesday, and even the England players will not know whether they are in the team until just before they leave the team hotel.

Only Steven Gerrard, named by Capello as his captain though not on a permanent basis, knows he is guaranteed a spot in the starting line-up.

Capello said: "We have just started working together and our objective is to form a group that will gel together before our first [competitive] game against Andorra.

"The last two days we have worked very hard on the technical front and have watched and analysed videos in order to create a group mentality and more importantly to work on moving on the pitch in a way that reflects my ideas about football."

The former Real Madrid and AC Milan coach insists that although the nature of the football he has been watching in the Barclays Premier League over the last month is different to the continental game, it is not an alien culture.

He added: "There are very similar aspects to Spain for example, but what is really interesting is that in England we have 38% of players who are English.

"In Spain, a much higher percentage are Spanish players so the manager of Spain has a much greater choice and this is something that people need to be aware of."

Capello was bemused that his new rules for players should have commanded so much attention, as they are the norm in Italy and Spain.

These include players being obliged to turn up on time together for meals, and leave the table at the same time. Use of mobile phones is restricted, and players are expected to devote their time at the training camp entirely to training or team-building.

The players are also referred to by coaches by the surnames only, which is also the habit on the continent.

Capello, who insisted he did not believe English players are any more pampered than others in Europe, said: "If people are amazed by these rules then they are probably not used to having them.

"I believe we have some obligations towards the fans and so I feel we need rules to work by, in an orderly fashion.

"We have not many days together compared to when the players are with their clubs so we need some strict rules to create a group and a winning mentality that I want.

"The players can call each other by first name or surname but eating together and getting up from the table together is just respecting other people."

The manager was asked what would happen should any of the players break the rules.

"I can't see why they shouldn't respect the rules," he replied.

"Obviously people make mistakes but if you want to be part of a group you have to follow the rules of a group.

"We will analyse and see why these rules have been broken and take the appropriate course of action."

The Italian conducted his press conferences in Italian, with simultaneous translation by an interpreter.

Capello had claimed he would learn the language of his adopted country within a month of having been appointed but he reasoned that although he was happy to speak to the players in English on the training ground, facing the media was a different prospect as he did not want to be misunderstood.

"With the players I can explain and communicate in a much easier way. I am happy about my English," said Capello, who admits he will feel some pre-match nerves tomorrow.

"When we get to Wembley I will be a bit nervous but when the game starts I will be 100% focused and concentrating on the game.

"I believe Switzerland are a good team. They have good players and they are very dangerous on the counter."

Capello also brushed off questions about those fans who had bought tickets hoping to see David Beckham win his 100th cap.

He added: "I respect him greatly for all things we did together at Real Madrid but at the moment the most important thing is talking about the players who will play on Wednesday - not the ones who are not here

"I believe we have some obligations towards the fans and so I feel we need rules to work by, in an orderly fashion.

"We have not many days together compared to when the players are with their clubs so we need some strict rules to create a group and a winning mentality that I want."

I love what I'm reading - what a breath of fresh air! Forza Capello!! :England:

quote from sportinglife now

The England fans have started booing their team as the ball is played from the edge of the Swiss penalty area to James at the back. Welcome to England Mr. Capello
and this too
The crowd are calling for David Beckham, whether ironically or out of true frustration remains to be seen
Edited by boboafc

Boring lifless first half.....

Boring lifeless second half except for a good ten min spell....

A number of slightly improved performances and a good game from Bentley....

But nothing much different really....good win but its going to take Capello a while to sort them out I feel.....if at all....

Can't fault Capello, we all knew that he would play an Italian way but we will take that if it gets the results.

The problem for me is the players are just not good enough, they do not have anywhere near enough skill or techique, early on Upson played a pass back to James but he had to wait for it to get on his "right" foot (which was his left) then the ball he played was on target, if James had done a Robinson or the ball had hit a divot we could have been one nil down.

After that we just kept on playing ourselves in to danger, at the first sign of a Swiss player coming anywhere near an Englishman the player just panics and either hits it long or just gets rid. We have the odd player who can shield the ball or do a bit of snake hips and get himself a yard of space but these are few and far between. The Italians, French, Brazilian, Argentinian, Dutch, I could go on but the best team's players all want the ball and you have to work hard to get it off them, we just gift the ball to the oppos.

Capello was off his bench within about a minute and you could see him thinking "What the hell have I let myself in for? These are rubbish!" I bet he went to bed with his English language books so that he can tear strips off them properly next time. My god has he got his work cut out.

Boring lifless first half.....

Boring lifeless second half except for a good ten min spell....

A number of slightly improved performances and a good game from Bentley....

But nothing much different really....good win but its going to take Capello a while to sort them out I feel.....if at all....

He's only had three days! The booing was ridiculous. Nervous start - to be expected. Showed bits in the second half. Kept trying to get them to keep it down and play - promising. When they passed and moved from midfield I thought they looked good. But it is very, very early to be passing judgment.

Besides, I have a theory. It's very scientific. If you impress in your first game, you then get progressively worse and finish up failing. McClaren, wow great first win. If you don't impress you then slowly get better. Fab, little dull, world cup here we come! Yes, it is a scientific fact as everyone who replies will agree!!!

Most frightening thing about last night was the presence of Fab. Is it just me, or did anyone else feel 'oh crap' when he left the bench after five minutes and stood on the touchline. He is the Godfather!!

He's only had three days! The booing was ridiculous. Nervous start - to be expected. Showed bits in the second half. Kept trying to get them to keep it down and play - promising. When they passed and moved from midfield I thought they looked good. But it is very, very early to be passing judgment.

Besides, I have a theory. It's very scientific. If you impress in your first game, you then get progressively worse and finish up failing. McClaren, wow great first win. If you don't impress you then slowly get better. Fab, little dull, world cup here we come! Yes, it is a scientific fact as everyone who replies will agree!!!

Most frightening thing about last night was the presence of Fab. Is it just me, or did anyone else feel 'oh crap' when he left the bench after five minutes and stood on the touchline. He is the Godfather!!

I wasnt passing judgement....

Edited by oafc0000