Jarrett speaks about his Club - Candlelight?

I tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Jason vows to make impact

MICHAEL YARWOOD’S weekly Boundary Park round up

ON the evidence of his first two games, new signing Jason Jarrett believes Athletic won’t be spending much longer in the bottom half of League One.

Jarrett has created a favourable impression since arriving on loan from Preston, and his own judgement of the team around him is also positive.

The 28-year-old made a winning start against high-flying Carlisle last week as Athletic achieved their first home league victory for four months.

And he also did well at leaders Swansea on Saturday when John Sheridan’s side were unfortunate to lose 2-1.

Jarrett said: “From what I’ve seen, there’s nothing to fear from anyone and I’m surprised Oldham aren’t further up the league.

“It’s nice to be playing first-team football again because I haven’t been involved at Preston – sometimes your face just doesn’t fit.

“I’m only 60 or 70-per-cent fit at the moment, so there will be a lot better to come when I improve on that.

“Hopefully I will bring energy to the team because I like to get my tackles in, but I can also ‘sit’, be disciplined and dictate play if that’s what the manager wants.

“I need games and I went on loan to QPR this season, but it didn’t work out for personal reasons because I had problems at home.

“I just want to do well and get my career back on track because the last three or four years have been stop-start.

“I was born in Bury so I already know this area a little bit – in fact, my grandfather used to own a club in Oldham.

“It was a nightclub, although I couldn’t tell you where it was. I think it’s a housing estate now.”

Jarrett, who will stay at Boundary Park to the end of the season, first caught Sheridan’s eye when he played against him as a youngster for Bury against Athletic.

He hadn’t nailed down a place at Blackpool or Wrexham, but his spell at Gigg Lane prompted a move to bigger things.

Wigan signed Jarrett in 2002, and he assisted their rise from League One to the top flight in the space of three years.

Just after Wigan reached the Premier League, however, Jarrett opted for a contract with Norwich City.

A year later he was off to Preston, but the exit of manager Billy Davies saw him slip out of the first-team picture at Deepdale.

Including loan deals, Jarrett has now played league football for 12 different clubs – Blackpool, Wrexham, Bury, Wigan, Stoke, Norwich, Plymouth, Preston, Hull, Leicester, QPR and Athletic.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there going to be one at BP in the next few years? :wink:

Didn't the Clayton Arms used to be a nightclub?

My money would be on Tramtrax or Scandals (or whatever it was called in your generation) in Royton as that was in prime "estate" building territory. It may still be there though.

There was also a place down Manchester Road - Bali Hoo I think and that's probably been developmed now

My money would be on Tramtrax or Scandals (or whatever it was called in your generation) in Royton as that was in prime "estate" building territory. It may still be there though.

It was called Jo-Jo's last I heard and shut sometime around 1999. On the junction of Rochdale Road and that road that leads towards High Crompton. Yes, it's a housing estate now.

that would be my guess too!!

oh the memories!! think it was scandals or maybe jo jo's in my time...

think it was scandals or maybe jo jo's in my time...

1971-1975 Strathmore Restaurant

1976-1983 Tramtracks (Last saw the Tram signs for Chadderton,Royton and Shaw on an episode of the Osbornes-somebody must have exported them and auctioned them off)

1983-1995? Scandals

1995-1998 JO jos

1998-? Eros

1976-1983 Tramtracks (Last saw the Tram signs for Chadderton,Royton and Shaw on an episode of the Osbornes-somebody must have exported them and auctioned them off)

1983-1995? Scandals

1995-1998 JO jos

1998-? Eros

It was Scandals when I went in their once or twice in the late 1980's.

There are those new 'shoebox type' houses there now.

It was on the Junction with Rochdale Road/Dogford Road and Rochdale Lane across the road from the Junction Inn.

I have fond memories of Scandals. That was my first night club i ever attended. I was just turned 15 and my cousin had just got married and had his reception at some place in Royton called "Blue Moon" or Moon something. It was up some steep stairs round a back street. My sister had just started seeing some lad called Pete who she eventually married (for about 4 years). He was a top lad, and it didnt go down well when they split up and i still remained friends with him.

Anyway, i was sat there, 15 years old, with my sisters new boyfriend asking me and my girlfriend at the time if we fancied going clubbing. At the time i looked REALLY young for my age (had to carry ID until i was 23), so he lent me his driving licence. I had about 20 minutes to remember his name, address, and DOB. Luckily i managed to get in, and i had a top night dancing to alsorts of music. On the way out (at which point i was bladdered) i witnessed three or four big blokes knocking ten colours of crap out of each other. Then got in a taxi back home. And for added entertainment i got to see my mum and dad having a go at my sister in the morning for the fact i had thrown up all over the front driveway at our house :lol:

As for the Candlelight............

I am now 33, and November last year was the first and ONLY time i have ever been in the place. It was scary how sad some of the people looked. I lasted about 90 minutes in there and just had to get out of there. NEVER AGAIN :blink:

1983-1995? Scandals

1995-1998 JO jos

1998-? Eros

It was briefly called Roystons (!) in 1998 before becoming Eros. Not sure when it shut I think it was some time in 2002/2003 because I remember watching England vs Germany 5-1 in there and that was Sept 2001 I think? It was good for footy in there around that time as they had a huge screen up and tables & chairs on the dancefloor. The place was hammered and always a good atmosphere. I remember after the England game they switched the lights on and there was just glass everywhere, you were literally "Walking on broken glass" trying to get out of the place. I also saw England vs Greece in there when Beckham scored with that last minute free-kick. Happy days......

Guest oa_exile
Could be Sheddings ...... now a housing estate !!!! the memories .... Morgan ... flat lager .... cold yips chips on the way home ...... so glad those days are over

Morgan , I wonder what ever happened to James ? :grin: remember when they were called the Morgan James Duo ?

Slalom Lager :blink:

I dont know about you but for me Happy Days B)

Morgan , I wonder what ever happened to James ? :grin: remember when they were called the Morgan James Duo ?

Do you remember the young guitarist who joined the Morgan James duo? They soon became massively popular and used to play to packed pubs instead of half-a-dozen regulars.

That young guitarist? Vinny "Vindaloo" Burns who went on to much bigger and better things! Meanwhile, the other two went back to playing in front of half-a-dozen regulars. :)

Back to Scandals, I used to love that place and had my 21st Birthday there. In the early 80s, it was the best Club in Oldham and well worth the trip out of Town. I've got lots of happy memories about that place and let's just sat that it was a significant part of my education. B)

Geeze. Eros, Jo-Jo's or whatever you want to call it. What an absolute dive. Your feet stuck to the floor. I got in there when I was about 15/16 because my sister knew the bouncers. I wasnt in a rush to go back. Awful place.

Chickers - It doesnt matter if she's got her own teeth. You have to avoid getting whacked by a group of jealous pensioners nicking their women first. Never again!