Jarrett speaks about his Club - Candlelight?

Blimey, this thread's taken me right down memory lane.

Ro's and Jo's, Butterflies, Over the Rainbow were the main haunts in the early days.

Then Scandals (as it was over 21s for a while, I seem to remember). Anyone remember the ageing bearded geezer disco-dancer in the suit and white shirt open to the belly-button with the dodgy hairy chest who used to eye up all the much younger girls in there? And the 'Mad half hour'? I once went there dressed as a Hare Krishna after a fancy-dress do and had the sheet ripped off. Bouncers were all for chucking me out 'cos I was half naked, but fortunately some kind soul lent me their jacket, which seemed to satisfy the bouncers.

Spent a lot of time and money in Dreamers too. Great place but I never worked out what the entry criteria were. You could be dressed up decently and sober as a judge and be refused, then go the following night in jeans, trainers nine or 10 pints to the good and be welcomed with open arms.

There was another place further down nearer to the bus station, the name of which escapes me. Had a good few nights in there too - must have been good 'cos I can't remember the name of it.

Only went to Bali Hoo once - awful. Same with Henry Afrikas. Lasted about 10 minutes in the Candlelight before doing the off.

*drifts off in a haze of nostalgia*

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Ro's and Jo's, Butterflies, Over the Rainbow were the main haunts in the early days.

Remember Froggies down stairs ?

Spent a lot of time and money in Dreamers too. Great place but I never worked out what the entry criteria were. You could be dressed up decently and sober as a judge and be refused, then go the following night in jeans, trainers nine or 10 pints to the good and be welcomed with open arms.

Think was dependent on what mood Tommy Hefferan was in :grin: landed down at the bottom of those stairs a couple of times :grin:

Tommy : "Your not coming in"

Exile : "Why ?" :mad:

Exile at the bottom of the stairs :wacko:

Happy Days :rolleyes:

There was another place further down nearer to the bus station, the name of which escapes me. Had a good few nights in there too - must have been good 'cos I can't remember the name of it.

Monty's

I know what you mean about Dreamers Kets. Used to go in every Friday - great music etc. But if Tommy Hefron said no, you didn't ask why! I went there once and he said I'd had too much to drink so he wouldn't let me in. So I went to the chippy, walked round for it a bit, went back to Dreamers and got in without a word! Great place. At that time Monty's was the most popular club but Dreamers was like an under-rated gem.

You missed Froggies in your list earlier - or are you pretending you didn't go in there?!?

Has anyone mentioned the Cabaret?!? Another "quality" club... :grin:

Morgan , I wonder what ever happened to James ? :grin: remember when they were called the Morgan James Duo ?

Sheddings and Morgan = "Simply The Best". I forgot about Sheddings probably because I was out of it by the time we got there!

The Moor End was scary, enough said.

Could be Sheddings ...... now a housing estate !!!! the memories .... Morgan ... flat lager .... cold yips chips on the way home ...... so glad those days are over

Some great cabaret at Oldham Rugby club, I saw Eli (ex Jimmy James stooge I think he was) die a thousands deaths on stage there.

The Reg Coates Combo were regulars though and pretty good...where are they now ?

(I'd forgotten about Froggies.

And Smokies, although I always thought it was a bit cack)

I Knew the lad who used to dress up as a Giant Frog at Froggies,jumped on his back one night for a laugh-didnt realise he had finished the night before and it was some frightened School leaver who took his place,soon found myself on union street!

Smokies,full of Wanabee Airline Pilots trying to pull Wanabee Air Hostesses.

Tower Club-saw Sad Cafe their late seventies

Cat's Whiskers? yes that its , is the place still open or has it been knocked down

It closed years ago Bob. Thursday's used to be grab-a-granny night and great fun if you wanted to learn a few new tricks. :shock:

As for Dreamers, it didn't matter if you were so pissed that you couldn't see your watch. You knew exactly what time it was because of the track they were playing.

Happy daze. :)

As for Dreamers, it didn't matter if you were so pissed that you couldn't see your watch. You knew exactly what time it was because of the track they were playing.

True: The Smiths, The Jam etc etc. Classic tunes. Did the DJ have some connection with Latics? I'm sure he did but I can't remember what it was.

# Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ... # :grin:

remember sexy sue the stripper fom henry's,happy days!

This thread has gone tremendously off-topic but it's fantastic.

I used to glass-collect there when I left school in 1992 so fortunately I got to see plenty of Sexy Sue (And unfortunately Stan the Man, her other half). I picked a copy of the Sunday Sport once and she was in there in all her glory but for some reason as Charlotte from Workington or something.

Spent a few nights in Dreamers, Monty's and Butterflies of course. Dreamers was a great club, the only place you seemed to get quite good music. Scruples was absolutely hideous and I spent a couple of decent nights at Club 57 (Now Tokyo's) just because you could get in with trainers and it was quiet, cheap and you could play pool with no hassle.

Further afield there was a club on Market Street in Shaw. I had a nasty experience in there, where I went down with a bunch of mates. I went to the toilet but when I emerged, it had kicked off while I was in there and all me mates were ejected and were on the front street. Anyway all I heard was "He's one of 'em" and something slammed into the side of my head and I was promply dragged down the stairs, given a few boots by the doorman and came round in Oldham Hospital with busted ribs and ringlet/lace prints to the side of my face. I think the club may have been called 'Heroes' ironically enough.

Then Scandals (as it was over 21s for a while, I seem to remember). Anyone remember the ageing bearded geezer disco-dancer in the suit and white shirt open to the belly-button with the dodgy hairy chest who used to eye up all the much younger girls in there? And the 'Mad half hour'? I once went there dressed as a Hare Krishna after a fancy-dress do and had the sheet ripped off. Bouncers were all for chucking me out 'cos I was half naked, but fortunately some kind soul lent me their jacket, which seemed to satisfy the bouncers.

Only went to Bali Hoo once - awful. Same with Henry Afrikas. Lasted about 10 minutes in the Candlelight before doing the off.

*drifts off in a haze of nostalgia*

Montys was the one further down towards the bus station. Or it could have been the Bus Stations club... The Pennine Lounge.... Getting in Dreamers all depended how Tommy Heffron was feeling on any particular night. If he'd had a bad day you could just as well get launched down the stairs!!!

It closed years ago Bob. Thursday's used to be grab-a-granny night and great fun if you wanted to learn a few new tricks. :shock:

What about the Bird Cage in the Cats Whiskers. Used to spend many a happy hour staring up the dancers skirts from the ground floor.....

Edited by happyterryb

This thread has gone tremendously off-topic but it's fantastic.

I used to glass-collect there when I left school in 1992 so fortunately I got to see plenty of Sexy Sue (And unfortunately Stan the Man, her other half). I picked a copy of the Sunday Sport once and she was in there in all her glory but for some reason as Charlotte from Workington or something.

Spent a few nights in Dreamers, Monty's and Butterflies of course. Dreamers was a great club, the only place you seemed to get quite good music. Scruples was absolutely hideous and I spent a couple of decent nights at Club 57 (Now Tokyo's) just because you could get in with trainers and it was quiet, cheap and you could play pool with no hassle.

Further afield there was a club on Market Street in Shaw. I had a nasty experience in there, where I went down with a bunch of mates. I went to the toilet but when I emerged, it had kicked off while I was in there and all me mates were ejected and were on the front street. Anyway all I heard was "He's one of 'em" and something slammed into the side of my head and I was promply dragged down the stairs, given a few boots by the doorman and came round in Oldham Hospital with busted ribs and ringlet/lace prints to the side of my face. I think the club may have been called 'Heroes' ironically enough.

Didn't Alex (the Hurricane) Higgins own what is now Tokyo's for a time in the 80's?

Does anybody remember that place (Cant thinks of it's name) on Rock street facing the doctors that used to sell beers in Steins?

It was down some stairs and it was only a small place, but it had some great music and you used to have to sit down to drink as the steins were so heavy.

Used to go in there when i was 16 with Karen Butterworth :wub: (my missus at the time). Oh happy dayz !!! Always got some meathead giving me the eye with that look of "What the hell is an ugly sod like you doing with a blonde haired blue eyed godess like her" :tongue1: ......Still dont know myself to this day? :blush:

Best cabaret act I ever saw in Oldham were Lemonade. Wonder what Tony et al are up to now...

I'll just have another slurp!!!!

Tony's still doing his stuff around the town.

He lives next door to my mate Brian, and is unbelievably different when he is sober.

"shall we drink?" is his catchphrase!

Edited by outoftheblue

Does anybody remember that place (Cant thinks of it's name) on Rock street facing the doctors that used to sell beers in Steins?

It was down some stairs and it was only a small place, but it had some great music and you used to have to sit down to drink as the steins were so heavy.

Used to go in there when i was 16 with Karen Butterworth :wub: (my missus at the time). Oh happy dayz !!! Always got some meathead giving me the eye with that look of "What the hell is an ugly sod like you doing with a blonde haired blue eyed godess like her" :tongue1: ......Still dont know myself to this day? :blush:

Oy Chad, KB is married to my mate!

Also had happy times in Dreamers Friday and Monty's Saturday - great music on Fridays - dodgy women on saturdays - happy times!