Jarrett speaks about his Club - Candlelight?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy Chad, KB is married to my mate!

Also had happy times in Dreamers Friday and Monty's Saturday - great music on Fridays - dodgy women on saturdays - happy times!

Wozzer, i take it were talking about the same Karen? What's your mate called? I bumped into Karens lad at Latics a few weeks ago with her dad. Luckily, he didnt know who i was :)

D'oh! Of course it was!

Alex Higgins' Snooker Club - Hurricanes. The clues are there if your brain is engaged!

Time for another coffee. :sleeping:

Just asking a fella at work and he knew the all the clubs mentioned and then I threw in the Higgins link and he got it right away.

Not that many left in Oldham these days. Only two that I can really think of.

I used to glass-collect there when I left school in 1992 so fortunately I got to see plenty of Sexy Sue (And unfortunately Stan the Man, her other half). I picked a copy of the Sunday Sport once and she was in there in all her glory but for some reason as Charlotte from Workington or something.

That act was one of the worst attempts ever at “evening things up” for the ladies. The blokes all got to leer at a very handy girl with massive oily norks cavorting around the stage, but to compensate the girls got to look at a rather sad looking bloke with an orange tan and a gut with his three-piece tucked between his legs poncing around the stage. It must have driven them crazy with lust.

Guest oa_exile
Hurricanes sounds right I did play snooker there once or twice.

Is that the snooker club at the back of the Garage , sells Hyundia , Shogun , etc ?

I didnt even live in Oldham then and i knew that Alex owned a club called Hurricanes.

My claim to fame is that i have played snooker against Alex 4 times when i was 13 years old in a club down Bury. He just came over when there was only me and my dad in the club and asked me if i fancied a game. Really nice bloke. He even let me use his cue which he used in the big comps. He even got me the official rules handbook from the Embassy tournament that all the players get. He signed it and got a few others to sign it for me. None of my mates beleived me until two of them came to the club with me one night and he just walks up dead casual and says "hows it going Wayne, your dad not in here tonight? If your in next week you fancy another game?" My mates were gobsmacked to say the least.

Top bloke and dead down to earth (at the time), now he's just a nut job. :o

I didnt even live in Oldham then and i knew that Alex owned a club called Hurricanes.

My claim to fame is that i have played snooker against Alex 4 times when i was 13 years old in a club down Bury. He just came over when there was only me and my dad in the club and asked me if i fancied a game. Really nice bloke. He even let me use his cue which he used in the big comps. He even got me the official rules handbook from the Embassy tournament that all the players get. He signed it and got a few others to sign it for me. None of my mates beleived me until two of them came to the club with me one night and he just walks up dead casual and says "hows it going Wayne, your dad not in here tonight? If your in next week you fancy another game?" My mates were gobsmacked to say the least.

Top bloke and dead down to earth (at the time), now he's just a nut job. :o

At the risk of going off topic ( :shock:), I was playing a frame on my own at a Snooker Club in King's Cross during my lunch hour. Would have been about 1991. This bloke asked if I fancied a match and I looked up to see it was Tony Drago!

I used to get 3 frames in during the lunch-hour if I were lucky. That day, we had about 23 and I don't think I potted a ball. Turned out he was part-owner of the Club and he gave me a load of vouchers for free table time. He was a really nice bloke.

I also served Kirk Stevens when I worked in a Bank in Hollinwood around 1984. He withdrew a significant sum of money and one can only speculate as to where it went. :shock:

Is that the snooker club at the back of the Garage , sells Hyundia , Shogun , etc ?

No it's a different one.

The one I think you mean is at the top of Middleton Road (Chadderton above Westwood) next to Oldham college near the Oldham Way flyover opposite the old Sainsbury's Carpark.

Hurricanes (Alex Higgins's snooker club) was just off Union Street down towards the Chronicle office.

Guest oa_exile
No it's a different one.

The one I think you mean is at the top of Middleton Road (Chadderton above Westwood) next to Oldham college near the Oldham Way flyover opposite the old Sainsbury's Carpark.

Hurricanes (Alex Higgins's snooker club) was just off Union Street down towards the Chronicle office.

Correct on both counts , i was getting confused with the names , what was the "Other" one called ? :unsure:

I wonder if Higgins bores people he meets to death by endlessly repeating the story about how he once played snooker against a young incarnation of the person who later regenerated into Chaddy the Owl?

You know what, i beleive he is still seen staggering around Ireland mumbling something about "I once played against some young lad who later grew up to be a famous giant mutant owl". They just put it down to the guiness these days. :grin:

No it's a different one.

That snooker club was called Oldham snooker club. I used to play in there when i first moved to Oldham when i was 14. I played there until i was about 23/24. There was a famous Latics fans who would be in there quite often who was the same age as me. He used to be in there usually on a Wednesday night with his dad, often on the table next to us. He went by the name of Paul Scholes.

At the risk of going off topic ( :shock:), I was playing a frame on my own at a Snooker Club in King's Cross during my lunch hour. Would have been about 1991. This bloke asked if I fancied a match and I looked up to see it was Tony Drago!

I used to get 3 frames in during the lunch-hour if I were lucky. That day, we had about 23 and I don't think I potted a ball. Turned out he was part-owner of the Club and he gave me a load of vouchers for free table time. He was a really nice bloke.

I also served Kirk Stevens when I worked in a Bank in Hollinwood around 1984. He withdrew a significant sum of money and one can only speculate as to where it went. :shock:

I went to school with John Virgo's son. Yikes how off topic is this now?

Wozzer, i take it were talking about the same Karen? What's your mate called? I bumped into Karens lad at Latics a few weeks ago with her dad. Luckily, he didnt know who i was :)

Karen (if the same one) married my mate Phil Lent - a dirty red. Got 2 lads both mad on football but showing a similar persuasion to the dark side. Encouraging to hear of a visit to BP.

That snooker club was called Oldham snooker club. I used to play in there when i first moved to Oldham when i was 14. I played there until i was about 23/24. There was a famous Latics fans who would be in there quite often who was the same age as me. He used to be in there usually on a Wednesday night with his dad, often on the table next to us. He went by the name of Paul Scholes.

I wonder if Scholes bores people he meets to death by endlessly repeating the story about how he once played snooker next to a young incarnation of the person who later regenerated into Chaddy the Owl? :wink::grin:

Correct on both counts , i was getting confused with the names , what was the "Other" one called ? :unsure:

I don't know what it was/is called but I did play snooker there a few times.

I remember the night of the opening of Higgins's snooker club he must have come up for the grand opening.

I was at Oldham greyhound track (at Watersheddings) that night and Higgins turned up about half way through the card with a big 'minder' type guy in tow.

He stayed for about three races lost about £500 and stormed off complaining that the track was bent (which of course it was) he threw a right tantrum and left swearing at one of the bookies. :lol: