Worst thing i remember

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember somebody leaning over the boards in the Lookers to head the ball back to the pitch but he leaned too far and fell over the boards and had to have his arm in a sling. It was really funny because he left the ground to chants of 'theres only one dosy b*****d'.

This was against Barnsley. Blokes at work who are Barnsely fans and we meet up before and after games when we play each other - they have this down of one of the funniest things they have seen following the Tykes.

Classic moment.

Think it was the game we were poor and losing 2-1 and Vernon popped two late goals (both stoppage time?) to win 3-2.

The Wendies ripped our nice new fencing down in the rocky.

The citeh massive scaling the police box and run through the lookers upper trying to get in the chaddy end was quite funny(for a disturbed youngster) :)

This was against Barnsley. Blokes at work who are Barnsely fans and we meet up before and after games when we play each other - they have this down of one of the funniest things they have seen following the Tykes.

Classic moment.

Think it was the game we were poor and losing 2-1 and Vernon popped two late goals (both stoppage time?) to win 3-2.

I think that's a different game against Barnsley. The one involving the bloke falling over the advertising boards was in the play-off season under Dowie, a game we won 2-1 as I remember. The 3-2 win with 2 late late goals was under Talbot a couple of seasons later.

Probably very late 70s early 80s i remember seeing picture on the front of the O EC a mate of my brothers with a dart in his head it happened at BP,i dont no who we were playin but for some reason i think it was Leeds!!

just wondering if he ever went to a match again

if they ever found the thrower.

does anybody else remember this and if there were any other bad memories from BP?

The Burnley incident was 1979,AWAY! The lad in Question was called David "Nutty" Hazelhurst from Shaw,he said in a newspaper article years later that it did no long term damage but he later became a City fan so that is debatable!

The same day after the game,a few mates and I got a bus to Todmorden full of Burnley fans,saw a bus full of Latics fans on another Bus which was going to Rochdale and,against a Bus Inspectors advice,sneaked on the Bus.Little did we know but the whole Bus load had been Arrested for smashing up lights upstairs!!

After half an hour in the Cells the story got better as, bar one 20 Stone Beefer,we escaped and ran over the moors to Littleborough.

Always remember the late,great Jim Kirtons 9 year lad saying "Dad,have we been arrested?" and Jimmy giving some sharp Fatherly advice "Dont tell your mum".

I am sure to this day the Todmorden Police left the back door open to avoid all the Paperwork.

The citeh massive scaling the police box and run through the lookers upper trying to get in the chaddy end was quite funny(for a disturbed youngster) :)

The door into the main stand at the top of the stairs was held shut by an elderly steward, to stop the City fans getting into the stand. The brickwork around the door was moving as the City fans pulled it from the other side, but the steward held firm. Our seats were right by that door and we went and stood at the back of the stand ready to leave if they invaded, which luckily they didn't manage.

"You'll never take the Main Stand" :)

The door into the main stand at the top of the stairs was held shut by an elderly steward, to stop the City fans getting into the stand.

slightly citeh related - I remember being in the Kippax when we were given half of it in one of the semi final games v red sox and having oranges full of lead shot thrown at us from the other half of the stand.

The worst violence I've seen was in Katowice, Poland at an England game around 1997. Very very scary and absolute mayhem.

But at Oldham...

Stoke away in the cup replay 1993/94. The reason it was so naughty at that game was Stoke had recieved a right shoeing in Manchester Victoria after the original game so they were in kind of vendetta mode. All manner of things were coming down on us from that upper tier at their old ground, and getting away after we'd scraped a 1-0 win was pulse-racing!

Sheffield Wednesday in the Chaddy end at the start of the Championship game. It only kicked off for what seemed like moments but I happened to be in the midst of it all.

Derby at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in 1993/94. There was a bit of a standoff on Rochdale Road near the Old Grey Mare which was tense to say the least. I saw a few arrested that day.

Grounds like Wolves, Leeds, WBA, Leicester etc were all very ropey in the late 80's, especially if we'd got a result at one of them. Seen a few people get put on their backsides coming out of there.

I used to be a ballboy and sometime in the mid 80's (I think it was when the miners strike was on) a Yorkshire team came. I took up my position behind the goal at the Rochdale Road End, but spent most of the time collecting the coins and empty Bells Whisky miniture bottles thrown in Andy Goram's direction rather than retrieving the ball. Looking back I could have been hurt by one of these missiles, but I ended up making a bit of a profit from the day thanks to the money that rained down and went home happy.

Slightly off topic, I also went to a Udinese v Atalanta match in Italy a few years ago (my sister lives in Italy) and the Atalanta fans were setting flares off and lobbing them onto the pitch. A gate opened at one end of the stadium and a fire engine appeared, trundled around to the Atalanta lot, turned the water cannon round and promply hosed them all down. Quality zero tolerence option!!

Slightly off topic, I also went to a Udinese v Atalanta match in Italy a few years ago (my sister lives in Italy) and the Atalanta fans were setting flares off and lobbing them onto the pitch. A gate opened at one end of the stadium and a fire engine appeared, trundled around to the Atalanta lot, turned the water cannon round and promply hosed them all down. Quality zero tolerence option!!

Heh.

It reminds me. When I was in Poland as mentioned before, when we got to the turnstiles, the police were searching all England fans on entry. The lad in front of me (from Wigan I think) was searched and they found a can of pepper spray on him. He just took it off him, sprayed him in the face with it and just put the pepper spray in his pocket before kicking him in the arse letting him into the stadium. A lovely example of East European police methods!

Sheff Utd Late 70's they "took" the chaddy

Bad afternoon that was

remeber that one was it when they stayed quite untill the teams came out then all hell let loose ended up with a row of plod keeping the rival factions apart was scary stuff indeed

I always have fond memories of Sunderland coming to BP back in the 70's!!

Not the worst this little story by any means but an eye opening one to say the least. I recall attending BP when Latics were playing Millwall in the mid 70's time, and was quite a young chap back then. At the back, midway section of the Chaddy end was this middle aged chap dressed in a donkey jacket and jeans with a Millwall scarf round his neck quite happilly being situated amongst the Latics singers. He was drinking rum straight from the bottle and other than this he seemed an ok kinda guy. So strange to see one lone away fan mixing with the chaddy end 'boys' he was left alone more outta odd curiosity I think.

Anyway he starts talking to a mate and me about the infamous Millwall 'F' Troop. These were the guys that had made the national papers regarding their trade mark spraying of acid at people. Anyway he was saying it's all hype about them, sure he admitted they were nasty pieces of work and indeed they'd spray acid at away fans and kick off, but they weren't the ones to fear...No he said it's 'The Treatment you need to stay away from, they were the dangerous ones at Millwall.

He went on to back this up with the example of Chelsea away. He said the F Troop went into the shed to mix it with the Chelsea boys and got themselves a good kickin, so the The Treatment went in and cut um up and left it it to 'The Halfway Liners to go in and bury um!. Never of hearing about The Treatment I asked him what they did, he replied these boys use knives and daggers to cut people bad he says, stay away from them boys they are nasty tuckers, F Troop are soft. At this point he's finished his rum and asks this guy who I knew to hold his bottle a moment. Goes into his pockets and pulls up a surgical mask sticks on his face, pulls out a huge dagger and says, I am the treatment!! needless to say a huge circle develops with this clown in the middle. I've gotta say at this point you didn't see my heels for dust. Nor his once 20 plod dragged him to the floor.

Edited by Lags

Probably very late 70s early 80s i remember seeing picture on the front of the O EC a mate of my brothers with a dart in his head it happened at BP,i dont no who we were playin but for some reason i think it was Leeds!!

just wondering if he ever went to a match again

if they ever found the thrower.

does anybody else remember this and if there were any other bad memories from BP?

it was at burnley , i saw the lad walking along the side of the pitch with his dad and st johns man with the dart in his head , and the next day on Granada Reports with bob greaves talking about it , i know the dad said it was his son's last game he was going to watch , i wonder if the lad went to matches after that ?

!!

After half an hour in the Cells the story got better as, bar one 20 Stone Beefer,we escaped and ran over the moors to Littleborough.

Always remember the late,great Jim Kirtons 9 year lad saying "Dad,have we been arrested?" and Jimmy giving some sharp Fatherly advice "Dont tell your mum".

I am sure to this day the Todmorden Police left the back door open to avoid all the Paperwork.

lol i was with jim that day , still remember running out of the back door along with jim , mark his son and lots of other's laughing our heads off ...

it was at burnley , i saw the lad walking along the side of the pitch with his dad and st johns man with the dart in his head , and the next day on Granada Reports with bob greaves talking about it , i know the dad said it was his son's last game he was going to watch , i wonder if the lad went to matches after that ?

I TOLD YOU EARLY ON BOB,HE SAID IT HAD DONE NO LONG TERM DAMAGE BUT HE LATER SUPPORTED CITY,SO THE NO DAMAGE STATEMENT IS DEBATEABLE!

?

I TOLD YOU EARLY ON BOB,HE SAID IT HAD DONE NO LONG TERM DAMAGE BUT HE LATER SUPPORTED CITY,SO THE NO DAMAGE STATEMENT IS DEBATEABLE!

did not read your post saying it was at burnley before , but i will nevr forget seeing that dart in the lads head , but it did do some damage to his brain , he is now a city fan ! but hang on no one with a brain supports city ..

remeber that one was it when they stayed quite untill the teams came out then all hell let loose ended up with a row of plod keeping the rival factions apart was scary stuff indeed

Yes that's the one i spent the rest of the game in the main stand :angry:

Went back to Middleton with a mate after the game still fighting long after the match

Yes that's the one i spent the rest of the game in the main stand :angry:

Went back to Middleton with a mate after the game still fighting long after the match

I remember that too - think I ended up in Main Stand paddock.

But wasn't the home game v. City worse on a Good Friday - the first year City game down. Early 80s, I think. City fans were everywhere and there was trouble in town as well.

I remember another time we played City at home and it pished it down all match and then stopped. The City fans were soaked from being in the uncovered RRE. Me and my mate accidentally ended up walking up Sheepfoot Lane with them all... We kept quiet and they never clocked that we were bone dry.... :o

I remember that too - think I ended up in Main Stand paddock.

But wasn't the home game v. City worse on a Good Friday - the first year City game down. Early 80s, I think. City fans were everywhere and there was trouble in town as well.

I remember another time we played City at home and it pished it down all match and then stopped. The City fans were soaked from being in the uncovered RRE. Me and my mate accidentally ended up walking up Sheepfoot Lane with them all... We kept quiet and they never clocked that we were bone dry.... :o

Only semed to get in to a spot of bother away from BP

Orient away round about same time West Ham ( they went there when West Ham was away) boys jumped us had to struggle to next tube station with a few more Latics.

Just wanted to see Latics not end up with a bent and twisted nose