Worst thing i remember

The worst memory I have watching The Latics happened in my first away game. I was only 8. It was away at Huddersfield in the 87/88 season. The score was 2-2. I can’t remember much about the game but I do remember a linesman getting attacked (in a bad way) by some Huddersfield fans.

My next away game was much better. We beat City 4-1!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that too - think I ended up in Main Stand paddock.

But wasn't the home game v. City worse on a Good Friday - the first year City game down. Early 80s, I think. City fans were everywhere and there was trouble in town as well.

I remember another time we played City at home and it pished it down all match and then stopped. The City fans were soaked from being in the uncovered RRE. Me and my mate accidentally ended up walking up Sheepfoot Lane with them all... We kept quiet and they never clocked that we were bone dry.... :o

remember that day well,got the 409 bus back to ashton,it was full of city all like drowned rats and theres me and 3 mates all warm and dry,when one city fan asked if we were latics fans,i thought here we go goner get filled in any minute when his mate piped up well they are'nt city fans are they there f..cking bone dry knobhead.with that everyone started laughing and the journey home was a good laugh.

one match comes to mind for me away at wrexham ,on the way home on a coach a brick was thrown at the coach , it went threw one window and out the other side just above my head i was coverd with glass but no cut's , we all got of the coach and caught up with the kids who threw the brick :dead: then the police came and took them away ,it was a cold journey back home

The worst memory I have watching The Latics happened in my first away game. I was only 8. It was away at Huddersfield in the 87/88 season. The score was 2-2. I can’t remember much about the game but I do remember a linesman getting attacked (in a bad way) by some Huddersfield fans.

My next away game was much better. We beat City 4-1!

It was one fan who attacked the Linesman,A Mad Farmers Lad from Holmfirth,Very nasty and quite disturbing considering Football Hooliganism had mostly petered out by then.

The Police marched him past the Latics fans before taking him to the cells and he was like a walking punchbag with the Police giving little regard for his safety.