Latics either or

I keep noticing people selecting Gerrard above Goram. I'm assuming this is mainly down to the only match they saw Goram in was that 1-7 monstrosity against Cardiff. For me Goram is THE best keeper ever seen at Latics. During 1984 to 1987 he was absolute outstanding.

Totally agree, I really rated Gerrard but I've never seen a better keeper play for Latics than Andy Goram (first spell).

I keep noticing people selecting Gerrard above Goram. I'm assuming this is mainly down to the only match they saw Goram in was that 1-7 monstrosity against Cardiff. For me Goram is THE best keeper ever seen at Latics. During 1984 to 1987 he was absolute outstanding.

Ageed, easily the best keeper I have ever seen at the club by a country mile (in his first spell of course).

Rick Holden

Joe Royle

Chris Porter

Earl Barrett

Richie Wellens

Wayne Andrews

Ronnie Jepson

Shaun Garnett (daftest of the lot)

Roger Palmer

John Sheridan

Jim Fryatt or David Shaw -bmt

Andy Barlow

Gunnar Halle

Andy Goram (early)

Agree 100% OS

Rick Holden or David Eyre - Almost too close but Ricky just.

Joe Royle or Jimmy Frizzell - Frizz before my time

Luke Beckett or Chris Porter - Beckett simply because when we got him it felt like we finally had a proper striker.

Earl Barrett or Fitz Hall - Barrett just slightly before my time and Fitz Hall was the man.

Neil Kilkenny or Richie Wellens - Purely because I never saw Wellens out on a Saturday boozing at 1am.

Wayne Andrews or Jermaine Johnson - Never before leaving so many grounds have I feared a kicking because of a players actions so many times. Dive!

Ronnie Jepson or Phil Starbuck - Purely for Wigan away.

Sean Garnett or Guy Branston - Harshly rated by many, if all the players we had with more ability than him tried as hard as he did we'd have been out of this division years ago.

Roger Palmer or Frankie Bunn - Can be no other.

Neil Redfearn and John Sheridan - Redfearn left slightly before I could fully remember him but from the DVD's and obviously that moment he was massive for us but so too was Shez. Shame Whitehall etc hadn't a clue.

Jim Fryatt or David Shaw - Dad loved Fryatt

Dennis Irwin and Andy Barlow - Home grown, local, won the penalty (despite Shez's claims at various forums!) and used to take training at my school with John Platt. Top man.

Toddy Orlygsson or Gunnar Halle - Great player, treasure my picture with him.

Andy Goram or Paul Gerrard - Gerrard as Goram's first spell was before my time but I understand from family Goram first time round was at times unbeatable. Does Gerrard still hold the u21 clean sheet record too?

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

The worst time was Plymouth 2002, he was playing up to their lot in the main stand. They were really baying for his blood. Especially after Wayno won a free kick, then using all his acting skills, tied his laces and then a yard later "tripped" over them. Afterwards he got the equaliser too.

Very funny for us but their lot were going crackers :lol:

The worst time was Plymouth 2002, he was playing up to their lot in the main stand. They were really baying for his blood. Especially after Wayno won a free kick, then using all his acting skills, tied his laces and then a yard later "tripped" over them. Afterwards he got the equaliser too.

Very funny for us but their lot were going crackers :lol:

Dya know....that's even funnier...coz the first game I thought of when ya put that....was that Plymouth game!!! The car park after, walking from around the other side, was a farce.....absolutely full of muppets trying to kick off. Funny as owt though, coz the Old Bill was watching their every move and gripped a few too.

[Wayne Andrews or Jermaine Johnson - Never before leaving so many grounds have I feared a kicking because of a players actions so many times. Dive!

You could have put Paul frickin Beavers in against Johnson and he's have still lost for me - Chesterfield away. I'll say no more :angry:

Dya know....that's even funnier...coz the first game I thought of when ya put that....was that Plymouth game!!! The car park after, walking from around the other side, was a farce.....absolutely full of muppets trying to kick off. Funny as owt though, coz the Old Bill was watching their every move and gripped a few too.

I'd forgotten about that game - when I read the post I was thinking of the game the year after which was also 2-2 and Friio, Shez and Muzza all got sent off, and almost most unbelievable of all, Beharall got BOTH our goals!! :shock:

I seem to remember their fans being overly impressed with the standard of officiating in the return leg at BP which we won 4-1 :grin:

Rick Holden or David Eyres (that one is impossible to choose!!)

Joe Royle or Jimmy Frizzell

Luke Beckett or Chris Porter

Earl Barrett or Fitz Hall

Neil Kilkenny or Richie Wellens

Wayne Andrews or Jermaine Johnson

Ronnie Jepson or Phil Starbuck

Sean Garnett or Guy Branston

Roger Palmer or Frankie Bunn

Neil Redfern or John Sheridan

Jim Fryatt or David Shaw - didnt see Fryatt play and don't recall seeing Shaw play either

Dennis Irwin or Andy Barlow

Toddy Orlygsson or Gunnar Halle

Andy Goram or Paul Gerrard - can't really remember much abt Goram in his first spell

Edited by Gemma06

I know this is all about opinions and its im not critising , but, can those who saw both holden and eyres play for latics and voted for eyres please tell me why?

eyres was great and a legend but i cant say he came close to holden when he was playing.

holden played at a higher level and i dare say his stats are better as well.

I know this is all about opinions and its im not critising , but, can those who saw both holden and eyres play for latics and voted for eyres please tell me why?

eyres was great and a legend but i cant say he came close to holden when he was playing.

holden played at a higher level and i dare say his stats are better as well.

Purely sentimental reasons. Ricky was part of a talented side from 1 through to 11. Eyresy came in with us bottom of the third division when at the time we thought was a short term move, him and Carss turned our season round AND he went on to play for us for almost 6 years, scoring and making a hell of a lot of goals in the process. On pure abiity basis Ricky would win every time, for moments of pure joy such as rocket shots at Hull, last-minute free-kicks at Stockport and putting us one up in the play offs Eyresy wins it easily. Tricky Ricky is still a true ledge though....

PS. One of my all time great moments as a Latics fan was Eyresy scoring a cracker on his last appearance for theclub vs Scunny in May '06. A fitting farewell to a great servant.

Eyresy 212 app 44 goals ( & 26 Assists from football League Site from 02-06 according to the FL site)

Ricky 212 app 36 goals

remarkable they both made 212 starts for the club

Edited by oafcprozac

Rick Holden or David Eyres

Sean Garnett or Guy Branston

Roger Palmer or Frankie Bunn - Can't choose....

Neil Redfearn or John Sheridan

Jim Fryatt or David Shaw

Dennis Irwin or Andy Barlow

Toddy Orlygsson or Gunnar Halle

Andy Goram or Paul Gerrard

Rick Holden or David Eyres