RRE Open Terrace

Seeing the latest "Oh what a shirt" reminded me that the Roch. Rd End used to be a massive open terrace before it was reduced by approx. half. Does anyone have a photo of it as I'm getting all nostalgic? Thx.

In fact the first time I went in BP was when my brother-in-law took me for the last 15 mins in the RRE (think it was against Bristol Rovers in 76/77 season). He did that a couple of times (he was always a tight git!) but we saw a couple of goals.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...214556519111983

We have posted this somewhere before, a while back though...

Footage of BP from 1979 - great achievement from www.footballgroundguide.co.uk ...

Cheers Matt. I remember it being bigger than that but it might be because Newcastle fans threw half at it at us one year when they were being kept behind after the match. Those "lovable" Geordies...

I remember a spot the ball comp in the newspaper, where the picture used was from the Division two game against ManUre at BP. The back drop was a full RRE, that was prior to it being reduced in size. It must have held a boat load of people, anyone actually know what the capacity used to be?.

I remember a spot the ball comp in the newspaper, where the picture used was from the Division two game against ManUre at BP. The back drop was a full RRE, that was prior to it being reduced in size. It must have held a boat load of people, anyone actually know what the capacity used to be?.

In 1962 when we played in front of 41733 at Boundary Park versus Liverpool, it was stated that the Chaddy held 12000, the RRE 15000!

My dad's first game was on the vast steppes of the RRE, v Millwall in 1960.

Edited by UpperLooker

In 1962 when we played in front of 41733 at Boundary Park versus Liverpool, it was stated that the Chaddy held 12000, the RRE 15000!

Me and my mate were in the middle of that lot; we'd queued for bloody hours getting our tickets and couldn't get any for the Chaddy. Of course, there was no segregation in those days and we were slap dab in the middle of a few thousand Scousers. There was no trouble, no fighting, just good hearted banter and we had a great time with them despite the (undeserved) 2-1 defeat.

I can also remember the days when loads of us used to change ends at half time, to be behind the goal we were attacking, by simply walking up the back of the Broadway stand to the other end. We always went in the Chaddy to start and many's the time we had to leg it up to the Rocky Road end as Latics played "up broo".

Oh, happy days.

Best memory I have is 15000 REDS getting wet through and Mo Whittle scoring the penalty. Tee hee soaked to the skin they were

You can always wind up the Reds by telling them West Brom had the biggest ever away following at Latics,15,000 in the Rochdale Road End and half the Main Stand.

I can remember some Parking near Dogford Road in Royton and walking to the game.

In addition to the above, when Ken Bates was Chairman he introduced a free massive programme....if you went into the Rochdale Road End, just past the turnstiles you could find masses of programmes that you just pick up and take away.. the terraces were littered like the 82 bus littered with Metros.

I can also remember the days when loads of us used to change ends at half time, to be behind the goal we were attacking, by simply walking up the back of the Broadway stand to the other end. We always went in the Chaddy to start and many's the time we had to leg it up to the Rocky Road end as Latics played "up broo".

Oh, happy days.

Being optimists me and my mates started off on the RRE assuming we would win the toss and play that way 1st.

In this brilliant 1961 picture from Stewart W. Beckett's 'Keeping The Dream Alive' book, a young lad is offering the Docaster Rovers' goalie a sweet. By this date kids had been stopped from sitting on the RRE wall behind the goal with their legs on the crowd side of the wall, which I have done many times. In the detail of the picture note the disabled person's vehicle from which its occupant watched the match. Standing in the area at the foot of the Main Stand steps are bus conductors and drivers - they were allowed in free and left at three quarter time to return to their football special buses, sometimes (for big games) parked in Stansfield Street where I lived. The advert on the side of the Main Stand is for Happiway tours. Along the main Stand side of the ground there is only a post and rail separating the fans from the pitch. Happy days!

2252241444_92d8533686_b.jpg

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

think the last time i stood on there we played luton and beat them 5-1, although i think it was a closer game than the result suggests. did sharp score 4 that day?

or maybe i had sunstroke, it was a baking hot day, i loved standing on there in the sun

think the last time i stood on there we played luton and beat them 5-1, although i think it was a closer game than the result suggests. did sharp score 4 that day?

or maybe i had sunstroke, it was a baking hot day, i loved standing on there in the sun

Yeah he did and it was 5-1. I don't ever recall it was a close game though, Luton were dreadful that game (and season). We should have picked up our first away win of that season down at their place too, but Ray Harford scored two headers in the last minute to turn a 1-0 win into a 1-2 defeat very quickly.

What's interesting about D_S's picture is the RRE appears to be jam packed, whereas the main stand paddock looks to be pretty empty in the corner with all the crowd looking towards the chaddy end (obviously the goalie has time to have a sweet!). Could it be because the crowd generally bunched up towards the middle or did they actually walk towards the end where the action happened to be resulting in mass movements of people yards to one side or another? I find it strange how an end behind the goal is massively packed and the paddock isn't. Was there a big price difference upon entry to the two?

Great image though, not just for Oldham but football in general.

Yeah he did and it was 5-1. I don't ever recall it was a close game though, Luton were dreadful that game (and season). We should have picked up our first away win of that season down at their place too, but Ray Harford scored two headers in the last minute to turn a 1-0 win into a 1-2 defeat very quickly.

What's interesting about D_S's picture is the RRE appears to be jam packed, whereas the main stand paddock looks to be pretty empty in the corner with all the crowd looking towards the chaddy end (obviously the goalie has time to have a sweet!). Could it be because the crowd generally bunched up towards the middle or did they actually walk towards the end where the action happened to be resulting in mass movements of people yards to one side or another? I find it strange how an end behind the goal is massively packed and the paddock isn't. Was there a big price difference upon entry to the two?

Great image though, not just for Oldham but football in general.

cheers... and maybe it was for the acoustics! :huh:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...214556519111983

We have posted this somewhere before, a while back though...

Footage of BP from 1979 - great achievement from www.footballgroundguide.co.uk ...

Home sweet home :)

I remember Notts Forest fans lighting fires on the RRE. If I remember correctly, it was a winter night match and I think Gary Hoolickin broke his leg. I couldn't blame them for lighting fires - it was bloody cold like!!!

Home sweet home :)

I remember Notts Forest fans lighting fires on the RRE. If I remember correctly, it was a winter night match and I think Gary Hoolickin broke his leg. I couldn't blame them for lighting fires - it was bloody cold like!!!

I remember this game, I was with my Dad in the Main stand Paddock and witnessed Cloughie arguing with some hecklers;

"We'll win more than you this year......................."

The game was the 0-0 League Cup Game from 78ish. Gary Hoolickin was fowled by John Robertson and did break his leg (although do not think it was reckless and Robertson appeared cut up about it).

You are right about the fires but on a more positive note Mr. Clough was very complimentary about our pitch !

Despite losing the replay we still managed to score twice against the League Champions on their own ground.

I remember this game, I was with my Dad in the Main stand Paddock and witnessed Cloughie arguing with some hecklers;

"We'll win more than you this year......................."

The game was the 0-0 League Cup Game from 78ish. Gary Hoolickin was fowled by John Robertson and did break his leg (although do not think it was reckless and Robertson appeared cut up about it).

You are right about the fires but on a more positive note Mr. Clough was very complimentary about our pitch !

Despite losing the replay we still managed to score twice against the League Champions on their own ground.

I was sat in White Block (Main Stand, Closest Section to the RRE). I still remember the crack of Hoolies leg breaking..... :sick01:

Funny how you remember detail from 30 plus years ago but struggle to remember who we played at the start of the season !!

I also vividly remember a game against York from the 75/76 season when I huddled up to my Dad under his big, black umbrella as it absolutely lashed it down. I remember the club moved supporters into the Chaddy to take shelter leaving me and Dad the only supporters on the terrace.

I'm also fairly sure we lost the game as well, but stand corrected.