RRE Open Terrace

I find it strange how an end behind the goal is massively packed and the paddock isn't. Was there a big price difference upon entry to the two?

There was a price difference, not sure if it was very big. When I 1st started going as a young lad in the early 60s, me and a friend used to pay 3d to transfer into the Broadway stand, we sat on the wall close to the 1/2 way line.

Seeing the latest "Oh what a shirt" reminded me that the Roch. Rd End used to be a massive open terrace before it was reduced by approx. half. Does anyone have a photo of it as I'm getting all nostalgic? Thx.

In fact the first time I went in BP was when my brother-in-law took me for the last 15 mins in the RRE (think it was against Bristol Rovers in 76/77 season). He did that a couple of times (he was always a tight git!) but we saw a couple of goals.

My first game at BP stood on RRE in 1970 - against Chesterfield when they ended up being champions. Most memorable experience was last game of 1975-76 against West Brom when I ended up in the middle of 15,000 of their fans. They won 1-0 after cropping Alan Groves early on if I remember, brilliant atmosphere though and think meant w**ky Wanderers missed out on promotion

Best memory I have is 15000 REDS getting wet through and Mo Whittle scoring the penalty. Tee hee soaked to the skin they were

I may have mentioned this before but wasn't that the game when Ronnie Blair scored with a cross but it wasn't seen by the officials because it hit the section of goalpost which used to hold the net back from the actual goal posts themselves...???

In this brilliant 1961 picture from Stewart W. Beckett's 'Keeping The Dream Alive' book, a young lad is offering the Docaster Rovers' goalie a sweet. By this date kids had been stopped from sitting on the RRE wall behind the goal with their legs on the crowd side of the wall, which I have done many times. In the detail of the picture note the disabled person's vehicle from which its occupant watched the match. Standing in the area at the foot of the Main Stand steps are bus conductors and drivers - they were allowed in free and left at three quarter time to return to their football special buses, sometimes (for big games) parked in Stansfield Street where I lived. The advert on the side of the Main Stand is for Happiway tours. Along the main Stand side of the ground there is only a post and rail separating the fans from the pitch. Happy days!

2252241444_92d8533686_b.jpg

Thats were me and me Dad made our first appearance at BP. He used to stand at the back with his Bus driver Mates who were on overtime on the Footy specials and I would get passed down to the front to sit on the wall. OOhhh happy days.....

I may have mentioned this before but wasn't that the game when Ronnie Blair scored with a cross but it wasn't seen by the officials because it hit the section of goalpost which used to hold the net back from the actual goal posts themselves...???

Yes, but we still won! A great day.

By then the capacity was down to about 27000 and the RRE was no more than 10,000. And all the Red Army went quiet when Skippy Whittle put that penalty away.

2254139669_f14ba66f6c_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Garth Dyke's book 'Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988'.

It was 28th December 1974 when the two clubs met in the Second Division, after ManUre’s relegation, in front of a crowd of 26,384 at BP. The rarely wrong Chron described it as “the day of the underdog…a day of supercharged emotion, already written into local football folklore. It was a day of magic and miracles, a day fit for retelling to countless generations of grandchildren. It was the day Athletic, humble and often humiliated Athletic, beat mighty Manchester United.”

In the picture Ronnie Blair had just curled the ball round the goalkeeper (by whom he is hidden) and it hit the inner stanchion and bounced back out of the net. Referee Mr. T. D. Spencer waved play on. As it turned out, it didn’t matter because Latics beat United 1-0 anyway.

2254939438_434faeb741_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Stewart W. Beckett's book 'Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey'.

The goal came from a Maurice Whittle penalty, only awarded after consultation with the linesman. The wind blew the ball off the penalty spot to add more drama, before the goal was scored.

History repeated itself when Latics scored another ‘goal’ against United, which was not given by referee Joe Worrall, in the F.A. Cup semi-final replay at Maine Road, Manchester on 11th April 1990. TV replays showed clearly that Nicky Henry’s shot hit the crossbar and bounced over the line, before coming back into play. This time it did matter, because if the ‘goal’ had been allowed to stand, there would have been no need for extra time and Latics would have been in the F. A. Cup Final and it is generally considered that Alex Ferguson would probably have been sacked. Another error which altered the whole course of English football history.

2254139669_f14ba66f6c_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Garth Dyke's book 'Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988'.

It was 28th December 1974 when the two clubs met in the Second Division, after ManUre’s relegation, in front of a crowd of 26,384 at BP. The rarely wrong Chron described it as “the day of the underdog…a day of supercharged emotion, already written into local football folklore. It was a day of magic and miracles, a day fit for retelling to countless generations of grandchildren. It was the day Athletic, humble and often humiliated Athletic, beat mighty Manchester United.”

yeah very true, my Dad goes on about that match all the time, saw it all again yesterday and that is a lot of Man Utd fans can't take defeat

Guest oa_exile
Seeing the latest "Oh what a shirt" reminded me that the Roch. Rd End used to be a massive open terrace before it was reduced by approx. half. Does anyone have a photo of it as I'm getting all nostalgic? Thx.

In fact the first time I went in BP was when my brother-in-law took me for the last 15 mins in the RRE (think it was against Bristol Rovers in 76/77 season). He did that a couple of times (he was always a tight git!) but we saw a couple of goals.

This shows the >>RRE<< nicely as well as shows "The Legend" in action ^_^

Seeing the latest "Oh what a shirt" reminded me that the Roch. Rd End used to be a massive open terrace before it was reduced by approx. half. Does anyone have a photo of it.....

The photo of Whittle's penalty in Post#33 shows the full-sized RRE - all those Reds experiencing despair at that moment - fantastic! :grin: