Speeding up a virus scan

oafc_ok

I've performed a virus scan today and while it was running I noticed that some of the files it was scanning are in a file located in C:Documents & Settings/Matt/Application Files/Real (or something similar). I listen to a radio station on Real Player and each of these files was the name of a song played on that station - hundreds of files are being scanned, which is obviously time consuming. I tried to delete them but there is no reference to the Application Files folder in Explorer. Explorer does say at the bottom of the screen '9 objects (plus 8 hidden)'. Presumably Application files is one of the hidden objects. Is there any way of unhiding them in order to delete these files and speed up my scans? Can anyone help?

Thanks

can you not go into the 'settings' on whichever scanner you are using and custom scan.... and tell it not to scan the real player??

not sure if thats what you meant, but i'm sure you can do this....ie for all your photo's you have stored on your pc, you dont want it going throught them everytime as you know they are ok!!

hope this helps buddy!

can you not go into the 'settings' on whichever scanner you are using and custom scan.... and tell it not to scan the real player??

not sure if thats what you meant, but i'm sure you can do this....ie for all your photo's you have stored on your pc, you dont want it going throught them everytime as you know they are ok!!

hope this helps buddy!

Possibly - I'll give it a try. Thanks

Go into "TOOLS" in your system files and then "FOLDER OPTIONS" and then "VIEW" change your settings to "Show all hidden files".

You should then be able to see these files.

You cannot really speed-up a Virus Scan.

Regards

Ian G.

PC Assist :D

PCA_Logo_UPDATED.jpg

Edited by pcassist

Possibly - I'll give it a try. Thanks

You can perform a reduced scan. Allowing your AV kit to simply sift through the Documents and Settings and Windows folders. Many problems are hidden in these system folders.

But a full AV check is recommended.

Go into "TOOLS" in your system files and then "FOLDER OPTIONS" and then "VIEW" change your settings to "Show all hidden files".

You should then be able to see these files.

You cannot really speed-up a Virus Scan.

Regards

Ian G.

PC Assist :D

I would not suggest making these files visible unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of the PC though mate. As you may inadvertently remove something of significance.

There are several ways to improve the speed at which you Virus scan will work. The most simple being to do it when you're not actually using the PC. To do this you can either set a time in the scanners schedule option to have it run last thing at night (many have an "auto-shutdown on completion" option). Or (as I do) first thing in the morning... basically I will boot my PC, go make breakfast/shower/shave etc etc and by the time that's all done with my scans finished.

As others have said, there are ways to remover certain files types from the scan. Again this carries it's own risk... especially with Real files, which are not the most secure, as most come from on the 'net.

As Rummy's said mate... a full scan is best. The reduced scans are not ideal and without correct configuration I wouldn't suggest them. It could lead you to think you're protected when in fact you are not.

Hope that helps,

Ack