Proud of your town?

Great news people, the musical water thingymebob might be on the verge of working, all the time, 5 years after it was put in

Cool.

Will it mean that I can get Pizza Express doughballs with my lunch after I take my daughter to swimming lessons on a Saturday?

Or maybe be able to buy my undercrackers in M&S in my local town centre?

Or perhaps I can sit and watch it gentle bubble away while I'm waiting for the early evening showing of the latest blockbuster movie at my local cinema?

Perhaps I'll be able to go and have a mooch round one of those nice European or local farmers markets on Tommyfield where they have stalls selling nice food or drink and lots of nice wares from across the land?

What do you mean, NO?!

So the only difference from any other weekend will be that I have to wade through gallons of bubbles where some chav has poured washing up liquid into the shiny not so new £200k musical frickin fountain, whilst dodging gangs of hooded youths swearing loudly infront of my little girl, and scruffy smelly gits carrying bag fulls of tat they've bought in the crappy shops in the shopping metropolis that is the Spindles.

Great. Thanks OMBC.

Edited by danoafc

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool.

Will it mean that I can get Pizza Express doughballs with my lunch after I take my daughter to swimming lessons on a Saturday?

Or maybe be able to buy my undercrackers in M&S in my local town centre?

Or perhaps I can sit and watch it gentle bubble away while I'm waiting for the early evening showing of the latest blockbuster movie at my local cinema?

Perhaps I'll be able to go and have a mooch round one of those nice European or local farmers markets on Tommyfield where they have stalls selling nice food or drink and lots of nice wares from across the land?

What do you mean, NO?!

So the only difference from any other weekend will be that I have to wade through gallons of bubbles where some chav has poured washing up liquid into the shiny not so new £200k musical frickin fountain, whilst dodging gangs of hooded youths swearing loudly infront of my little girl, and scruffy smelly gits carrying bag fulls of tat they've bought in the crappy shops in the shopping metropolis that is the Spindles.

Great. Thanks OMBC.

Have you sent that to the rarely wrong Chron Dan? :lol:

What about the scruffy smelly ones though! :wink:

No names needed!

Take your point though regarding Oldham centre, it's sad really. It's all there, it can be done but you just know it won't happen.

Thing is Chris, in Oldham town centre, I can think of one cafe bar type place where people can get a sandwich and a coffee at lunchtime or whatever and sit in nice surroundings. Certainly not an outdoor one anyway. There's that place near the ELC on the ground floor in the Spindles but even that is pokey and squashed into a corner.

I can't help but think if the shops and leisure facilities were considerably better, we'd get more people who live within the borough doing their shopping (clothes and stuff) there rather than passin Oldham up to go into Manchester or wherever.

EDIT: Just to say that I realise that cafe bars aren't everybody's cup of tea but they are massively popular and do tend (in Mcr anyway) to have a positive effect on surrounding shopping and leisure businesses.

Edited by danoafc

Thing is Chris, in Oldham town centre, I can think of one cafe bar type place where people can get a sandwich and a coffee at lunchtime or whatever and sit in nice surroundings. Certainly not an outdoor one anyway. There's that place near the ELC on the ground floor in the Spindles but even that is pokey and squashed into a corner.

I can't help but think if the shops and leisure facilities were considerably better, we'd get more people who live within the borough doing their shopping (clothes and stuff) there rather than passin Oldham up to go into Manchester or wherever.

EDIT: Just to say that I realise that cafe bars aren't everybody's cup of tea but they are massively popular and do tend (in Mcr anyway) to have a positive effect on surrounding shopping and leisure businesses.

The point you made (think it was anyway) about other business being tempted by those already in the town was spot on. Your M&S, IKEA, encourage others to tag along on the back of their coat tails and make money off them.

Without them you end up with the current poor selection of shops, food and drink places etc. We have a load of sports shops, phone shops, jewellery shops (Lizzy Dukes :headbang: ) then a few, not enough though, name stores.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

The point you made (think it was anyway) about other business being tempted by those already in the town was spot on. Your M&S, IKEA, encourage others to tag along on the back of their coat tails and make money off them.

Without them you end up with the current poor selection of shops, food and drink places etc. We have a load of sports shops, phone shops, jewellery shops (Lizzy Dukes :headbang: ) then a few, not enough though, name stores.

Spot on. You do need a few flagship type places, like an M&S, basically to attract some people who have money to spend. It’s not meaning to be snobby but town centres just can’t survive on discount shops, although cheap shops can survive and do well on the back of more expensive ones. From there as has been said cafes and other facilities will spring up, and hopefully before long normal people have taken the town centre back from the scrotes – in part because it becomes worthwhile for the businesses to pay for some level of security. It would be a big boost to the town centre if it had one or two stores that could drag the stereotypical alcoholic female in to buy her ready meal and bottle (s in Maddog’s case) on the way home, they would start buying clothes and things from the town as well rather than travel further afield.

But, as Coco positively said, the fountain is a start.

But, as Coco positively said, the fountain is a start.

I'm not entirely sure I heard the note of positivity in that statement, unless I missed it in the cacophony of sarcasm! :wink:

I suppose the fountain is a start, but lets be honest Andy, it's not gonna bring in this towns more affluent residents to spend their hard earned locally is it?

It IS as start, sadly things like sculptures and fountains et al should be finishing touches!

On a genuinely positive not, hopefully the big new H&M store opening in the Spindles (what used to be the foodcourt) will have a positive effect on how other businesses view the town and it's potential profitability. I know it's not quite a flagship store but it's better than Poundland! :wink: