Sherjil McDonald..unbelievable

Does anyone remember WBA left winger Sherjil McDonald taking Latics reserves apart a few months ago - right under the nose of John Sheridan and Tommy Wright.

It was said then by many on this board here was a player Latics must sign on loan.

So what happens ?...read on.

He goes to Hereford on loan last week and scores 2 goals on his debut, then at Rochdale tonight he scores a hat trick - making it 5 in 2 games.

This at a time when Latics were supposedly hunting for a genuine left winger and also a goal scorer...unbelievable.

Does anyone remember WBA left winger Sherjil McDonald taking Latics reserves apart a few months ago - right under the nose of John Sheridan and Tommy Wright.

It was said then by many on this board here was a player Latics must sign on loan.

He goes to Hereford on loan last week and scores 2 goals on his debut, then at Rochdale tonight he scores a hat trick - making it 5 in 2 games.

This at a time when Latics were supposedly hunting for a genuine left winger and also a goal scorer...unbelievable.

Any ideas how come Sherjil is making such a big impact? Lesser standard of footie, perhaps. Sherjil might as well be knocking them in against statues.

Any ideas how come Sherjil is making such a big impact? Lesser standard of footie, perhaps. Sherjil might as well be knocking them in against statues.

Anyone could see that afternoon he would also take apart Division 1 defences.

Just watch out next season, he will establish himself at WBA, and if in the Premiership he will star there too.

Anyone could see that afternoon he would also take apart Division 1 defences.

Just watch out next season, he will establish himself at WBA, and if in the Premiership he will star there too.

Strong praise indeed. I defer to your greater knowledge of the lad, and I can't wait to see the new Rooney in action. Do they televise conference games?

Strong praise indeed. I defer to your greater knowledge of the lad, and I can't wait to see the new Rooney in action. Do they televise conference games?

Actually, yes they do ...... Setanta Sports have excellent coverage of the Blue Square Premier

i remember the game Roman Bednar stood out as well, strange how we cant attract these types of players but hereford can!

strange how we cant attract these types of players but hereford can!

How do you know we were even trying to attract them? :blink:

Some people really are thick! Just coz someone on a message board rates them and they can perform well in the stiffs and league 2 doesn't mean we have tried to get them. Plenty of gash players look good against kids and at league 2 level but doesn't mean we are trying to sign them all!

Some people really are thick! Just coz someone on a message board rates them and they can perform well in the stiffs and league 2 doesn't mean we have tried to get them. Plenty of gash players look good against kids and at league 2 level but doesn't mean we are trying to sign them all!

Rose tinted specs time!!

Sheridan can do no wrong, we beat everton - all that garbage.

He can not carry on the way he is going, is he active in trying to get anyone in??

Puting players in like Allessandra and Smalley in with performances like the first half on Sat will damage them because majority of performances at home have been below par all season

Get a grip Sheridan and dont rely on the kids, get in experience for now.

I'll probably get slated but never mind eh? We beat Everton FFS!!!!

Rose tinted specs time!!

He can not carry on the way he is going, is he active in trying to get anyone in??

Puting players in like Allessandra and Smalley in with performances like the first half on Sat will damage them because majority of performances at home have been below par all season

Did i mention anything about Sheridan or Everton? :shock: So where the rose tinted specs come from i don't know.

My point was that the guy was suggesting we can't attract WBA reserves when we have no evidence that we are even interested except the recommendation of someone on the internet.

Did i mention anything about Sheridan or Everton? :shock: So where the rose tinted specs come from i don't know.

My point was that the guy was suggesting we can't attract WBA reserves when we have no evidence that we are even interested except the recommendation of someone on the internet.

As somebody said further up the board, we may well have made an enquiry about the boy but WBA may have said they wanted him within commutable distance from Brum/wherever he lives. The only people that actually know are the club officials.

If we had a look at everyone anybody on any messageboard recommends then we would have a scouting staff of about 50.

If we took even a quarter of the players recommended on we would have a playing squad of about 60.

It's impossible to look at or consider everyone anyone mentions.

Unless they played against your reserve team and tore them to pieces...

Unless they played against your reserve team and tore them to pieces...

Even if they played against your reserve team and tore them to pieces...

Reserve team football is a long way from first team football.

Look at the scoring records of Wolfy, Alessandra and Smalley in the reserves but two of the three are getting regular first team football now and not finding the net (don't get me wrong all great young players with massive potential who I'm sure will come good) but they need time and first team experience.

Mcdonald falls into the same category for me, I know he has been scoring for Hereford and we may have missed a good opportunity with him, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Even if they played against your reserve team and tore them to pieces...

Reserve team football is a long way from first team football.

Look at the scoring records of Wolfy, Alessandra and Smalley in the reserves but two of the three are getting regular first team football now and not finding the net (don't get me wrong all great young players with massive potential who I'm sure will come good) but they need time and first team experience.

Mcdonald falls into the same category for me, I know he has been scoring for Hereford and we may have missed a good opportunity with him, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And Chris -Mr ASDA- Hall!!

it seems a lot of people on here want to sell no-body because it shows lack of ambition and also buy everyone who has had a good game on a wednesaday afternoon infront of no fans, no pressure against a buch of kids.

if we ran the club like that its been pointed out we would have the biggest squad in the country.

now im sure most of the people on here with those views are well respected championship managers and i bow to that superior knowledge, but if not pull your neck in and be logical.

the club is not going to buy every player seen and rated by message board members. i think we need people in, no question. but when people come on hear going on about someone they mentioned (which in their eyes seems like a recomendation to the club) it makes me larf!

I sure hope that we are trying to attract players with the qualities the player in question carries (fast, ability to cross, can score goals) otherwise whats the point of the scouting network?

After seeing him in the WBA reserve game I was massively impressed. More so with McDonald than Bednar who is now banging them in for their first team.

I spotted on Sunday he had gone to Hereford and bagged a double. Upon hearing the Rochdale score last night I thought he might have bagged another one but a hat trick, blimey.

The lad is top quality but the only thing that made me think at the time we couldn't get him was that he was on loan to WBA at the time. Now he is their player permanently. Guess we'll never know if we did ask. Be disappointed if we didn't try, it was clear for all to see how good he was.

right a couple of reasons i can think of off the top of my head-

1) we were after other strikers, who shez believed to be better, and were let down at the last minute off most of them, so we didnt have time to get someone else

2) remember rob earnshaw? he was great in league one and championship, he was top scorer but didnt do well in premiership, theres a difference in class between the division, because he is scoring loads in one division doesnt mean he will score loads in the division up, theres a different class of players,

3) hes stayed close to WBA if he came here it wouldnt be close, so would WBA let us have him?

4) We were looking at many different players, he may have been good, but these other players were better, like sheridan said he "doesnt want second rate players for the sake of it"

5) unless sheridan could tell the future he wouldnt of known that he was going to be that good.

Just spoke to a Dale fan who was there last night and said he had 3 defenders on him all the time and just passed them with ease.

Seems hes a big strong lad with pace, who can play on the LW and cut inside leaving defenders for dust .... with a good eye for goal

why would we want him ?? :unsure:

:wink:

Take your points about distance, travel wise etc.

Different class of players playing against at a lower level yes but also at a higher level playing with better players too.

As for Earnshaw, strange as it seems but before a ball was kicked in the Premiership this season, the striker with the best goals to minutes ratio in the Premier League was actually him!

Just in response to Wardle too, Mowbray at WBA believes he as a very special ability to beat players, something rarely seen these days. Be interesting to see if he got a go when/if they go up anyway.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Rose tinted specs time!!

I bet youre the same person moaning at foreign premiersh=t players taking the place of home grown players. Weve got for the first time a couple of local lads showing great promise- give em their heads i say. Shez's style of football will be the basis of success ive no doubt.