Striker still on the agenda

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron reports:

Striker still on Latics agenda

by TONY BUGBY

ATHLETIC are still keen to bring in a new striker on loan, even though one of their prime targets won’t be moving to Boundary Park.

Sheffield Wednesday’s Leon Clarke is out of the reckoning after undergoing a knee cartilage operation which will rule him out for six weeks.

Clarke had a successful loan spell with Athletic last season and manager John Sheridan had agreed to bring him back during the January transfer window.

That move collapsed when Wednesday suffered an injury crisis and Clarke suddenly found himself back in the first team.

Sheridan had still not given up hope of bringing in Clarke for a second spell, but that is now a non-starter.

It is also understood Athletic, who failed to land Liverpool’s Beslan Idrizaj and Hartlepool’s Ian Moore on deadline day, also recently made an inquiry to loan Manchester City’s teenage hot-shot Daniel Sturridge.

But they were knocked back because that week City had injury troubles affecting their front men which resulted in Sturridge being unexpectedly catapulted into the first team.

Athletic’s front line could soon be reinforced, however, by Lee Hughes, who is targeting the league match at Brighton a week on Saturday for his return after the groin strain which has so far kept him out of the last three matches.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that's why we didn't dip into the Trotman money.

Shez is waiting to use it for Clarke which will be during the summer now.

Decent shout. Shez clearly likes him and can see him being signed in the summer. He'd be a great signing for us and a strikeforce of Davies, Hughes and Clarke would be pretty handy.

Hmmmm I forgot about that; I do rate Clarke but £7K a week..........................................

I don't think it's him. Surely we'd have known when we took him on loan how much he was earning. It seems that this £7k issue came about as something of a surprise regarding the player in question.

I do however understand that we turned down Freedman in the window. Wonder if it was him?

Sounds feasable, he's been around long enough to be up on those sort of wages. It's a shame as I've always rated him

I think we enquired about him when Dowie? was here and he was on some ridiculous amount like £18k per week. I think he's been a VERY good Championship striker but he's getting on now isn't he? I think he's about 6 months older than me so 33/34 ish. Not the sort of age of player I'd want Shez to be risking the war chest on.

I think we enquired about him when Dowie? was here and he was on some ridiculous amount like £18k per week. I think he's been a VERY good Championship striker but he's getting on now isn't he? I think he's about 6 months older than me so 33/34 ish. Not the sort of age of player I'd want Shez to be risking the war chest on.

He was born in 1974 so yeah, he's gonna be 34/35 when it comes to next season. Looks like this will be his last season at Palace as he's only ever used from the bench these days. But yeah, he was on a wopping salary when we were snooping for him.

Next season, I'd like it if we were in the hunt for Andy Bishop at Bury. Attracting quite a bit of interest now and can score goals. Bury have decent pedigree of young strikers too and is known as a one-to-watch.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron reports:

Striker still on Latics agenda

also recently made an inquiry to loan Manchester City’s teenage hot-shot Daniel Sturridge.

But they were knocked back because that week City had injury troubles affecting their front men which resulted in Sturridge being unexpectedly catapulted into the first team.

Right, now this is what interests me... the phrasing is very interesting... "Knocked back because THAT WEEK" ... city signed 2 strikers in the transfer window... surely he is available now... and it doesnt say we were turned down cos they didnt want to let him come to us....

Now... getting in DS would be flippin amazing... that kid can find the net - be massive if we could bring him in.... DS, Davies and Hughesy up front.... errr, yes please....

Also... dont know if anyone remembers, but we were strongly linked to Vaz Te from Bolton... when he was fit again, which methinks is about now...

Didn't we enquire about him while Dowie was Manager down there and his wages where mega bucks.

I don't think it's him. Surely we'd have known when we took him on loan how much he was earning. It seems that this £7k issue came about as something of a surprise regarding the player in question.

I do however understand that we turned down Freedman in the window. Wonder if it was him?

Doubt itd be him pal .. hes on the coaching staff theres these days plus hes quite a popular figure there.

Right, now this is what interests me... the phrasing is very interesting... "Knocked back because THAT WEEK" ... city signed 2 strikers in the transfer window... surely he is available now... and it doesnt say we were turned down cos they didnt want to let him come to us....

Now... getting in DS would be flippin amazing... that kid can find the net - be massive if we could bring him in.... DS, Davies and Hughesy up front.... errr, yes please....

Bagged two last night in their youth cup game with Bristol City.

Now if they are wiling to risk him in a youth game I assume their striker crisis is over.

Shez get asking again. Pleasssssssssssee! :grin:

QUOTE(danoafc @ Feb 14 2008, 15:43 PM)

Didn't we enquire about him while Dowie was Manager down there and his wages where mega bucks.

er.................... :wacko: yeah, sommat like that. He was earning a frickin fortune anyhow.

Edited by danoafc

i wouldnt want sturridge because there isnt even a remote chance he will become a full time latic

So? the boys a class act!!! If you want promotion you need some good loan signings in this division to give that extra little bit of quality that you couldnt normally afford!!

So? the boys a class act!!! If you want promotion you need some good loan signings in this division to give that extra little bit of quality that you couldnt normally afford!!

Exactly, i'm sure Scunny didnt want beckford last season, or Bournemouth didnt want Defoe when he baged in 20 goals in a season...

There is a massive, massive difference between some kid who is not even sure of making it in the proffessional game and is being sent out to farm... and a kid like Sturridge who is a virtual nailed on England international within the next 5 years. I wouldnt give a damn if he walked round the club wearing a city tracksuit... he would score a goal a game in this division....

The fact we know he wouldnt sign for us would not get the fans hopes up long term which is good.... there aint no chance of Donny signing him either....

not atall, i would much rather the eastwood talk be true than sturridge and ive explained why elsewhere

Nope.. the talk of if's and rathers is not what you said....

i wouldnt want sturridge because there isnt even a remote chance he will become a full time latic

The concept of not wanting one of the best young players in the country to play for your club - even if only for a handful of games - is excatly as RBL said - Crazy Talk.

And your arguement Is like someone walking up to you in the street and saying... "I've got a spare Ferrari, not using it for the next few months - you want to borrow it?" and then saying "Errr, no, the bloke with a slightly bigger house up the road has said he has a spare ford focus, i'm saving up, and I couldnt possibly play with such toys in the meantime" ...

Crazy talk.

Edited by BigfinLatic

And your arguement Is like someone walking up to you in the street and saying... "I've got a spare Ferrari, not using it for the next few months - you want to borrow it?" and then saying "Errr, no, the bloke with a slightly bigger house up the road has said he has a spare ford focus horse-drawn cart, i'm saving up, and I couldnt possibly play with such toys in the meantime" ...

Crazy talk.