Interesting discussion today........

I had a call today from someone who's connected with Wolves.

Knowing that I was an Oldham fan he told me that apparently we're one of four clubs talking to Wolves about a loan deal for Freddie Eastwood. Apparently Wolves are looking to sell him off as Eastwood has failed to shine at Championship level and the lad also wants out because he's dropped down the pecking order and can't get a sniff in the first team.

Obstacle is that Wolves will only loan him out for a non-returnable fee of £80k immediately as part of loan with the option of an extra £120k plus add-ons paid in summer as a permanent deal. One of the add-ons is based on goals scored this season once on loan, which means that we could end up paying £250k come the summer including the initial £80k.

Did we do something similar with Beckett the season before last but decide not to make permanent?!

No chance of this happening. Once bitten, twice shy, I'd say. We paid something like £50K-£75K for Beckett as part of the loan option with a view to making it permanent, but Colin sold him to Hudds instead, so we paid the money for nish, basically. Can't see us doing it again in a hurry.

Knowing that I was an Oldham fan he told me that apparently we're one of four clubs talking to Wolves about a loan deal for Freddie Eastwood. Apparently Wolves are looking to sell him off as Eastwood has failed to shine at Championship level and the lad also wants out because he's dropped down the pecking order and can't get a sniff in the first team.

Obstacle is that Wolves will only loan him out for a non-returnable fee of £80k immediately as part of loan with the option of an extra £120k plus add-ons paid in summer as a permanent deal. One of the add-ons is based on goals scored this season once on loan, which means that we could end up paying £250k come the summer including the initial £80k.

Did we do something similar with Beckett the season before last but decide not to make permanent?!

i say pay it with the trotman money, even if we dont go up this season, Eastwood and Hughes with davies and taylor up front next, How many clubs would want that, he has proved he is more than a handful at this level before. take the chance on this one, could be the difference between promotion and also rans

I guess we would have to do some negotiating on this. There's no way they should expect to be paid for goals scored. We did pay £50000 for Beckett as a non returnable fee for a loan wereby they couldn't recall him, but I thisnk Sheffield Utd wanted the fiull transfer fee when we wanted to buy him. Eastwood did well at Southend, but can he repeat it. Is he really a proven goal scorer? Obviously he can't do it in the Championship, or maybe they don't play to his strengths.

Edited by al_bro

That's what I thought but the bloke I spoke to knows people within Wolves very well indeed.

Apparently the add-ons are based on bonus payments based on goals per season (scaled bonus of 10k a goal each season up to £250k maximum), £250k payment on promotion and 25% sell-on. If the lad scored 25 goals for each of the next two seasons and we got promotion then we end up shelling out £1 million in fees.

Sounds too expensive for us but is performance-related so kind of makes sense as an investment.

He knew a fair but about the offer being discussed with these four clubs, which made it sound credible.

He's failed to shine but that's only at Wolves. He IS a chamionship quality striker, with the potential to be higher than that too.

I struggle to believe that he would come here purely on who he is. I think he'll be very sought after with other clubs, and can't see Wolves letting him go for anywhere NEAR £250k bearing in mind they shelled out £1.5m for him a matter of months ago. A club that's willing to kiss goodbye to £1.25m effectively? Ain't gonna happen.

No chance of this happening. Once bitten, twice shy, I'd say. We paid something like £50K-£75K for Beckett as part of the loan option with a view to making it permanent, but Colin sold him to Hudds instead, so we paid the money for nish, basically. Can't see us doing it again in a hurry.

Colin didn’t just sell Beckett to Hudds, Shez didn’t even put an offer in due to his injury probs.

As for the 50K we spent on him. 18 goals in half a season and not to mention the ones that kept us up a year prior. I personally would say excellent value and much better return than Porter.

The irony is that he puts us out of the cup this year and we are looking for a striker.

Oh and we didn't buy Colin Nish either - :D

Edited by jimsleftfoot

That's what I thought but the bloke I spoke to knows people within Wolves very well indeed.

Apparently the add-ons are based on bonus payments based on goals per season (scaled bonus of 10k a goal each season up to £250k maximum), £250k payment on promotion and 25% sell-on. If the lad scored 25 goals for each of the next two seasons and we got promotion then we end up shelling out £1 million in fees.

Sounds too expensive for us but is performance-related so kind of makes sense as an investment.

He knew a fair but about the offer being discussed with these four clubs, which made it sound credible.

From what i've heard you are spot on... the negotiations have been going on for a while... however that is too rich for us, and i'm sure Donny and Leeds as is said will have thier chequebooks out ready.... bloomin good player though, think him and Hughes would be nigh on unstoppable... or would we have the new wales national strikeforce of Eastwood & Davies?? (both proper buoyo's from the Valleys!)

Can see him going to Donny - better places to park your caravan.... :wink:

Colin didn’t just sell Beckett to Hudds, Shez didn’t even put an offer in due to his injury probs.

As for the 50K we spent on him. 18 goals in half a season and not to mention the ones that kept us up a year prior. I personally would say excellent value and much better return than Porter.

The irony is that he puts us out of the cup this year and we are looking for a striker.

Oh and we didn't buy Colin Nish either - :D

Good points.

But I still reckon we won't go for it.

But on a positive note plenty of room for his caravan and family to park up, now that would be funny to the Carlton Way crew.

Got to make his family feel at home too. I can't really see it either, his wages would cost a hell of a lot more than Beckett ever did, and that was considered pushing the boat out.

Edited by AMO

Colin only sold him to Huddersfield because no contract was every offer to Luke.

I'm almost sure we had an offer sitting with him for ages? The deal breaker being that we offered two years and Uddy three? In any case that deal with Colin was a bag of crap, Beckett would always have been free to go to anyone who would meet the price we had agreed with Shef Utd.

Should you be telling us this. On a positive note wheres the money come from has the chairman become a billionaire if not too pricey.

Why would we do this, we are about 4/5 weeks too late, season is pretty much over barring a miricle. Keep the deals until the season is finished.

could be the difference between us going up via playoffs or staying here for another season.

shez cant win can he.people whinge when he dont bring in decent players.then whinge when theres a chance we can sign a decent striker...

He will be playing for Donny next saturday

I'm sure Eastwood would score plenty of goals for us if he came here, proven scorer at League 1 level and I'm sure given a proper run he would score plenty of goals at Championship level.

That said I would be absolutely amazed if he came here.

Donny and Leeds both already have bigger squads than most Greedy League clubs.

Money as always will talk and that will cost us any chance of getting him.

If somehow we could pull it off though I think him and Hughes/Davies would be a fearsome strikforce at league 1 level.

Edited by Hometownclub

I'm almost sure we had an offer sitting with him for ages? The deal breaker being that we offered two years and Uddy three? In any case that deal with Colin was a bag of crap, Beckett would always have been free to go to anyone who would meet the price we had agreed with Shef Utd.

I think it was along the lines that he wanted a 3 year contract so we didn't bother, if my mind serves me right. We all thought contracts were being negotiated but I don't think we did ever offer one, or if we did, it was pretty much token. We though Luke was sitting on the offer but I think it was something to do with Hudds waiting for the option to run on him.

I don’t think the option was meaningless, it just meant that we were able to have exclusive negotiations with Luke. I’m sure that if we gave him what he was asking for he would have signed before the option ran out. However we didn’t so he wanted to see what else was out there.

From Sky Sports:

Huddersfield Town will have to wait to sign Luke Beckett as Oldham Athletic hold all the cards on his future.

Beckett enjoyed a successful loan spell with The Terriers in the 2004/05 season and manager Peter Jackson wants him back in West Yorkshire.

However, Town are unable to press ahead for the Sheffield United striker as The Latics have the option of signing him permanently from The Blades.

"Luke is a player we would be very interested in, but we understand Oldham have an option on him until mid-June," he told the club's official website.

"Nothing can be done until that option is either exercised or lapses, which is why we haven't been in a position to push anything at this stage.

"Should he become an option then we would have to look at the whole financial package. He is a quality striker."

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Whats the point in paying for someone who is capable of helping us find promotion if he cant cut it at the next level. We are just goingt o look at a season of disapointment and relegation, we need to build a team thats going to take us places, rather than a place only to return where we came from again.

Although I must admit Id be happy with Eastwood coming here, but not for that sort of cash

Whats the point in paying for someone who is capable of helping us find promotion if he cant cut it at the next level. We are just goingt o look at a season of disapointment and relegation, we need to build a team thats going to take us places, rather than a place only to return where we came from again.

Although I must admit Id be happy with Eastwood coming here, but not for that sort of cash

What is the point in worrying about the next level before promotion??

It is seemingly hard enough to build a team to get out of league one, nevermind a team that could hold its own in the championship. One step at a time.

The time to build for the championship is the summer after promotion when the budget is greater and there is more scope for atttracting a better quality of player. Also dont forget our promising youth will improve and develop.

Well lets get the youth team up to scratch then, because so far we havent seen the youth lads perform apart from Taylor. Smalley and Wolfy dont seem to be cutting it. Its the strikers that just dont have that edge. Theyre good players, I have no doubts about that, but they play up front and the scoring tally speaks for itself.

One or two players may be convinced of coming to Oldham after promotion to make a difference but lets be realistic, we are a small town club who are struggling and have done for the past 15 years. We hardly look attractive to good players. I know that, I might put a front on when talking to friends who support rivals but deep down I know we are nobodies at the minute.

Well lets get the youth team up to scratch then, because so far we havent seen the youth lads perform apart from Taylor. Smalley and Wolfy

if that comment is based on the forwards alone, fair enough, but what about eardley, lomax and trotman? thay have all performed for us last season or this.

i think the forwards will but they are all a bit lightweight at this moment in time, but with experience they will learn how to use their own strenghts on a regular basis.

Edited by palmer1