Paul Warne

chaddy the owl

Warney  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Will Warney get a warm reception?

• Yes, i will welcome him
    • No, i will throw rotten cabbage at him.
    • Dont ask me, i dont even attend games, i got lost on the internet.

Touch of Irony tomorrow,Grant Thornton who sponsored Warnies Kit last year are match Sponsors.

Met him on several occasions,he is indeed a lovely,genuine Lad and definately didnt want to leave the Club.

I think he is one of thise Players who we should always welcome as "One of our Own",yes I know he was born in Norwich,but he always played or us with the same Passion that the fans have for the Club.

So thats pretty much decided then he will get a good reception then.

He is what I like to call a fans player in the sense that fans look at him on the pitch and think thats the type of player they would be if they were out there on the pitch, not gifted necessarily but his enthusiasm for the cause was there for all to see. I do sometimes think that in this country we tend to put an over emphasise on players like that we seem to teach players to be physically fit as opposed to being technically good on the ball and I do think it has cost England at international level some times. But their is a place for those type of players, the likes of Wellens Porter, Liddel and Taylor benefited from his unselfish work and as much as I rate Hughes and Davies I do think they would benefit from a warnesque player playing alonside them doing the nitty gritty stuff and getting in defenders faces while they can grab the glory if you like.

It was the right decision getting rid of him which is being shown at Yeovil but to be a professional footballer at his age good luck to him in the future great reception from me(as long as he does not celebrate).

I (and I know some others will) disagree. Warne worked his socks off for us last season, and with our shallow squad this season a player like Warne would be a good part of that squad. Look at our bench and tell me Paul Warne wouldn't have a place on our bench if he was here? Gave 100% and he loved this club and would have give Davies more competition for his place which probably would keep Davies on his toes and at the top of his game. Warne knew his place wasn't guarenteed and that there was a good chance he'd be playing from the bench this season but he was still there with pen in hand ready to sign. Players like that don't grow on trees. What's done is done, but Warne would still play a good part in our squad if he was here.

I think poor is a bit harsh ritchie. Not brilliant but certainly not poor. As RBL says, he just ran out of steam in the end.

Definitely not a poor player. Him and Beckett were a great partnership for a while. For me, he wouldn't have been such a bad squad player for us this season.

We will have to save "his great reception" until another time.

Warney is not going to be involved at all today - Not even on the bench.

I have suggested to the club that we get him to do the half time draw - so that we can give him the applause that he deserves!!

He left this club without having a chance to say goodbye to the fans and was absolutely gutted - Top bloke!!

Dave Hudson

Sorry Chris McGoo - I really will have to get my own account set up on here!!

We will have to save "his great reception" until another time.

Warney is not going to be involved at all today - Not even on the bench.

I have suggested to the club that we get him to do the half time draw - so that we can give him the applause that he deserves!!

He left this club without having a chance to say goodbye to the fans and was absolutely gutted - Top bloke!!

Dave Hudson

Sorry Chris McGoo - I really will have to get my own account set up on here!!

Well he game on and got a great reception, chants of warney,warney,warney then ironic boo's when he first touched the ball was met by laughter by all the yeovil fans.

Glad to see.

He got a warm welcome when he drew the raffle; but then a standing ovation from right round the ground when he came on in the second half - oh and some comedy booing (I assume) when he first touched the ball.

Then he ran around a lot but didn't do anything.

Excellent all round!

:cardinal:

Dave Hudson

Great idea of yours Dave, but it was taking the hospitality a bit far when Warney drew out the winning ticket for a Yeovil fan from Bridport. :grin:

It was a great reception when he came on - even the regular moaners who sit near me joined in the standing ovation! :applause1:

I've just found this from today's rarely read Western Morning Post. We've read before how Warney was devastated when he had to leave BP, but this explains how much it would mean to him to play some part in today's game (my highlighting). It's vey rare to get such an insight into a player's love for a former Club.

WARNE SET FOR YEOVIL ENCOUNTER

STUART JAMES AT HUISH PARK

11:00 - 16 February 2008

Paul Warne cannot express just how much he wants to play in Yeovil Town's match at Oldham Athletic today.

The experienced winger was released by the Latics in the summer after two years with the Lancashire club. He joined Yeovil and, this afternoon, Warne makes his first return to Boundary Park since his exit.

The omens are not good for Warne, though. He has not started a Coca-Cola League One game for the Glovers since the 2-2 draw at Port Vale in late January and, with loan signing Jaime Peters playing an important role in Tuesday's 1-0 win over Northampton Town, he is unlikely to reclaim his place unless manager Russell Slade takes a sentimental approach to his team selection. That is most unlikely.

"After I signed here in the summer, it was obviously the first fixture I looked out for," Warne said ahead of today's clash. "We only played them four weeks ago, but I am looking forward to going back to Boundary Park. I just wish it would have been on a better run for us and, personally, I wish I was playing but, as it stands, I don't think I will."

Warne was a shock omission when the Latics' boss John Sheridan announced his retained list last summer despite being a fans' favourite and winning a host of player of the year awards for that season. He admitted to being in tears on his way home after being given the news - and he hopes for one last chance to grace Boundary Park.

"It hurt me to death when I left and I'd be lying if I said otherwise," Warne added. "I openly admitted I loved my two years at Oldham, I loved the fans and loved everything."The happier you are on the pitch, the better you play and I had the best two years, playing over 80 games. I played up front every game and loved it. To leave was a massive wrench for me, it hit me like a sledgehammer. But if I go there and play no part in the game, it would hurt me just as much, if I'm honest. I don't want to go there and sit on the bench and watch, or sit in the stands and watch. If that's the case - I don't pick the team - it would kill me.

"I'm not trying to overplay it, but it would genuinely hurt me. When I look back on my career, to think that I didn't have the chance to go back there and play again, that would hurt me, if I'm honest."

The reality is that a place on the substitutes' bench is perhaps the best Warne can hope for, but he faces a fight for that, with Yeovil finally winning for the first time this year on Tuesday. They left it late, with Terry Skiverton notching deep into injury time against the Cobblers, but it mattered little for a side who had almost forgotten what it was like to win a game.

.....As for the chance of Warne starting, assistant manager Steve Thompson said: "Warney is such a hard worker and I'm sure he will be looking forward to going back there. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he played an important part in the game."

So it was great that his wish was granted and the fans he loved so much showed him how much they appreciated all the hard work he put in for us. What a refreshing change to see love for Club/player expressed so openly in these days of greed and lack of loyalty.

I think the mould from which Warney came has been broken and we're not likely to see the likes of him again. Thanks for everything Warney!

the best all round, except for yeovil of course is,

3-0 up with ten mins to go, warne makes an apperance to a great ovation, pulls a consolation out of the bag, does not celebbrate and we show our appreciation.

i hope he gets to play apart in the game as long as he does not affect the result in a negative way.

loved watching him hunt down opposing full backs last season, he certainly fits the bill when defending from the front.

Tell me you edited that in!?!

Dont normaly post on here lads, just like to read, but i made a point of going down from the main stand to the padock to try and have a word with warney at the final whistle, there was about 20 people stood around clapping the players off warney being one of the last and as he aprouched he appeared to be crying and wouldnt pull his face from his shirt i was shocked by his reaction and a little moved. I really wish he would have stopped for a word as im sure me and the other fans would have made him feel much better about himself and what happend, proper latics player.

Dont normaly post on here lads, just like to read, but i made a point of going down from the main stand to the padock to try and have a word with warney at the final whistle, there was about 20 people stood around clapping the players off warney being one of the last and as he aprouched he appeared to be crying and wouldnt pull his face from his shirt i was shocked by his reaction and a little moved. I really wish he would have stopped for a word as im sure me and the other fans would have made him feel much better about himself and what happend, proper latics player.

Not the most gifted player we ever had, but for me a Legend. His love for this club after only 2 years is immense. What we did to him hurts me. I don't see, how with the love he's shown, we couldn't have negotiated on his deal instead of stonewalling him.

Not the most gifted player we ever had, but for me a Legend. His love for this club after only 2 years is immense. What we did to him hurts me. I don't see, how with the love he's shown, we couldn't have negotiated on his deal instead of stonewalling him.

Can imagine Shez being a bit of a stubborn :censored: when he wants to be.

Guest oa_exile

Warney is a top bloke and will always be Welcome at BP ! :chubb: