Roger Wylde

You make some interesting points there and have reminded me about Alan Young (do you remember the Chaddy End slaughtering him on his return with Leicester ? Although he still managed to score).

Yes, I am still fuming about Currie bottling it and also the challenge by Aizlewood, away at Leeds, on Frank which more or less ended his career. In the same game Iain Baird was gobbing at Cecere; absolutely disgusting and totally in keeping with that club !

I suppose Cecere didnt quite cut it, although I really liked him, added to that list Doug Anderson, Matthew Tipton, Ben Burgess, John McGinlay (Shame as injury free I believe he could have been affective) and £225 000 rated Allan Smart !!

Didn't Flynn manage to 'accidently' kick Baird in the head from a corner in the same gme, for which he was booked-total accident, of course!!!

Didn't Flynn manage to 'accidently' kick Baird in the head from a corner in the same gme, for which he was booked-total accident, of course!!!

I do remember that ! Respect Flynny ! Also respect to John Kelly who really stood up to Batty who behaved like a late 80's version of Brenmer. Aizlewood made an awful challenge on Frank which messed up his knee and prematurely ended his career; :censored: !

A couple of years later the Chronicle had us linked with Baird and also Kamara, I am glad they never wore the shirt.

Also of note is the tale that Joe was in for Batty at 250k a move which was blocked by the majority of the directors................

One of my all time favorites :)

:imnotworthy:rogwylde1.jpg:imnotworthy:

One of my all time favourites too.

Him and Stainrod were a great pairing but don't think they played that many games together. Remember this game at Rotherham which I think we won 2-1, didn't win away that often in the early 80's

What I would give for a forward line like that today !

I do remember that ! Respect Flynny ! Also respect to John Kelly who really stood up to Batty who behaved like a late 80's version of Brenmer. Aizlewood made an awful challenge on Frank which messed up his knee and prematurely ended his career; :censored: !

A couple of years later the Chronicle had us linked with Baird and also Kamara, I am glad they never wore the shirt.

Also of note is the tale that Joe was in for Batty at 250k a move which was blocked by the majority of the directors................

rodger wylde was great at hanging in the air,he always seemed to jump and hang in slow motion,then head home the goal,was truly fantastic to watch.

marshall did a good job as a striker,although he was originally brought in as a defender.

and also david fairclough,the original super sub.

one lad who didnt really get a chance to prove it with us but totally screwed up was young wayne harrison.he was awesome in the reserves,played a few full games in first team then off for a club record 250k to the scousers.

rodger wylde was great at hanging in the air,he always seemed to jump and hang in slow motion,then head home the goal,was truly fantastic to watch.

marshall did a good job as a striker,although he was originally brought in as a defender.

and also david fairclough,the original super sub.

one lad who didnt really get a chance to prove it with us but totally screwed up was young wayne harrison.he was awesome in the reserves,played a few full games in first team then off for a club record 250k to the scousers.

I had forgotten about Harrison. A classic case of Liverpool offering silly money as they got wind United were on the scent. The rumour at the time was that United were preparing to offer £25 000, which somehow panicked the Scousers into offering TEN times that amount ! The lad actually scored a number of goals for Liverpool's reserves before injury finished his career before it really started.

Another to add to the list of "Never did it" is Paul Moulden. I remember being really pleased when we signed him as well, but he was not the prospect that had been at City.

I remember the Aizlewood challenge. He somtimes does Welsh tele. Can't stand him for doing what he did to poor Frankie. By the way, what was the result of that game? Was it a draw?

I remember the Aizlewood challenge. He somtimes does Welsh tele. Can't stand him for doing what he did to poor Frankie. By the way, what was the result of that game? Was it a draw?

Think it was 1-1, end of season game 88-89ish.

Latics goal was at our end, but I can't recall the scorer-could have been Cecere ?

Guest oa_exile

A little about Roger's career :

Debut in 1972 for Sheffield Wednesday

Oldham

Sporting Lisbon

Sunderland

Barnsley

Stockport

Retired in 1989 to become Physio at Stockport

141 goals in 479 league games

Think it was 1-1, end of season game 88-89ish.

Latics goal was at our end, but I can't recall the scorer-could have been Cecere ?

Are you sure? Considering Bunn scored those goals against Scarborough in 89-90?

Is the game you're thinking of the 1-1 draw on New Years Day, 1990? Palmer put us in the lead with Dirtyleeds getting a last gasp leveller. Pissing rain, we were in that little cage thing at the side? Think Bunn played in that but he couldn't have got injured as he scored a week later down at Brum in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

The Cecere game must have been some years earlier as he'd left us by 1988.

I take it you were all too busy talking about him to watch the interview!

Nice fella - it should be on the internet in the next couple of days.

Those of you that watch the programme - we get a positive mention in the 'TV Watch' section on When Saturday Comes this month!

I saw that in WSC and it's deserved . Keep up the good work.

The article in WSC about Manchester Central FC and how they were a real threat to MUFC was fascinating - maybe a piece about that on the programme sometime?

Guest oa_exile

Just been having a trove round and found this interesting article on the man , seems as though he is a >>ROCK LEGEND<< also :grin:

Remember... Roger Wylde - Andrew Collomosse 03/01/2007

ROGER Wylde's musical career has been consigned to the backburner as the games have come thick and fast over the Christmas holiday.

But if Stockport spring an FA Cup surprise at Watford on Saturday, their long-serving physio might just be tempted to reach for the guitar.

Wylde, 52, is a member of Cold Fracture, a rock band that also features former County midfield man Tom Bennett and plays charity gigs around the Manchester area.

It was formed after Wylde and Bennett began learning the guitar during the Scottish midfield man's year-long recovery from a broken leg nine years ago.

"Learning the guitar helped Tom through his rehabilitation from a career-threatening injury," explains Wylde, a former striker who scored 141 goals in 479 league appearances for seven clubs before becoming County's physio in 1989.

"But we never thought we would end up playing in a band until we got together with Steve Greenhough, the club doctor, Pete Collins, our lead guitarist who's a big County fan, and drummer Keith Chadwick.

"We performed our first live gig for Children In Need a few years back and we've done a lot of charity concerts over the years. We're having a break at the moment but there are four or five concerts coming up soon."

However, Cold Fracture will not be replacing the day job for Wylde, who made his league debut for Sheffield Wednesday in 1972 and played for Oldham, Sporting Lisbon, Sunderland, Barnsley and Rotherham before joining Stockport in 1988.

"I started a physiotherapy degree course towards the end of my playing career," says Wylde, who was inducted into Stockport's Hall of Fame earlier this year.

"I wanted to stay in the game and when Danny Bergara took over as manager at County, he asked if I fancied the physio's job.

"And I've been here ever since. Like players, physios tend to move around but I've never wanted to leave.

"I love the place and now I've worked with eight managers - Danny, Dave Jones, Gary Megson, Andy Kilner, Carlton Palmer, Sammy McIlroy, Chris Turner and Jim Gannon.

"Treatment, rehab and the physio's role have changed so much over the years because when I was a player, fully-qualified physios were few and far between. Now most clubs have one and quite a few are ex-players.

"I've always felt that's an advantage because we know how a player's mind works when he's injured. In fact, in many ways, the physio has to be a psychologist, too, because recovering from injury is also a mental thing."

Needless to say, Wylde will be in the away dug-out at Vicarage Road when the League Two outfit will be looking to repeat the giant-killing form that took them to the semi-final of the League Cup in 1997.

And he can be certain of one thing: there won't be a repeat of his marathon with Sheffield Wednesday against Arsenal in 1979.

Wednesday were in the old Division Three at the time and were paired with the cup favourites and eventual winners after replay victories in rounds one and two.

"We drew the first game at Hillsborough and in the replay, we got our noses in front and hung on until they won a corner right at the death.

"I remember looking at the clock on the stand at Highbury and there was just a minute left. We cleared the corner - straight to Liam Brady, who hit it first time into the top corner.

"Arsenal went through after three more replays and Wednesday must be the only team to play nine games and not get past the third round!

"Can we beat Watford? Of course. If we played them 10 times on the trot, we wouldn't lose every game; we would nick at least one win somewhere or hold on for a draw.

"And let's face it, they will be far more concerned about staying in the Premiership than knocking Stockport out of the cup."

Is the game you're thinking of the 1-1 draw on New Years Day, 1990? Palmer put us in the lead with Dirtyleeds getting a last gasp leveller. Pissing rain, we were in that little cage thing at the side? Think Bunn played in that but he couldn't have got injured as he scored a week later down at Brum in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Can't remember exactly, some time in the late 80's where Bunn was assaulted by Aizlewood. This game the Latics fans were actually behind the goal rather than that horrible corner pen you refer to.

My Dad can remember travelling to Leeds in the George Hardwick era; 1953. Went on the train with his mates, only aged 13. The Leeds fans were really helpful and looked out for them !!!!!!

He scored those goals Frankly but he wasn't the same player he had been. He scored a few that season but spent most of it out injured and most strikers fit or not would've scored plenty in that team we had. If I remember rightly Frankie didn't play at Elland Road on NYD '90, he made his comeback from a few weeks out at Brum in the 3rd round of the cup the following Saturday and scored the equaliser. He played at Wembley and it was clear to see something wasn't quite right. His last appearance for the club was during the 4-1 win vs Oxford a two days after Wembley. By then it seems the knee had gone again and it was ultimately curtains. A real shame as he was the catalyst for us to go up a level as up to him signing we hadn't replaced Ron Futcher.

Guest oa_exile
Ahh muchos gracias for the clarity Prozac. Yeah, I do recall Frankie was well niggly with injuries back then, in fact after the Scarborough game he was out for a while wasn't he? Such a shame.

If i remember he had a serious knee injury which finally ended his career around 1990-91.... ish

If i remember he had a serious knee injury which finally ended his career around 1990-91.... ish

That's right and he thought the plastic pitch had a lot to do with it, apparently. Not enough "give" in the artificial as there is with grass. Definite shame - Frankie was like the final piece in a jigsaw. We did so well after he joined Latics midseason, they used to publish league tables in the programme showing we were near the top based on the games since he arrived!