UK Forces - For Queen and Country

Matt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hats off to all the brave soldier's who go to fight terrorist's to keep the world free ,as i know what its like to fight terrorist's ...... come home safely and well recently here a terrorist killed a old woman and another terrorist was shot dead by police terrorist shot dead

Edited by oa_exile
WARNING on the Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VktQBj1Dm4

As a friend of the family gets ready to move from being bashad up all cosy in Cyprus, to operating in freezing cold conditions through the wadis and poppy fields of Afghanistan - I'd like to give a big hats off to our lads.

Come back in one piece.

100% Agree, I have a few friends over in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting for the cause.

Hats off to them, I couldn't do what they do.

Edited by AMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VktQBj1Dm4

As a friend of the family gets ready to move from being bashad up all cosy in Cyprus, to operating in freezing cold conditions through the wadis and poppy fields of Afghanistan - I'd like to give a big hats off to our lads.

Come back in one piece.

Certainly hope so.

Dont be misled Rummy. Being tucked up in Cosy Cyprus and the other places thousands of British troops are held in training preparing to be posted isnt by any means safe. I had a mate of mine who i'd gone from Nursery through to High School with - He was one of the types of people who from about 5 always knew what he was going to do with his life. Whilst we were playing football, he'd be running around with a stick pretending to shoot us, rolling about the grass, hiding behind walls and basically thinking he was already in the Army. Certainly does make you want to keep more upto date with the goings on when you know someone who's in the forces. Though sadly they do a job that doesnt get the credit they fully deserve.

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/s/3...pter_crash.html

always been a problem with the forces that their friends only really see them when they are home for the weekend or on leave..

they are relatively better paid than their friends and sometimes have a tan to sport/show-off from their latest trip somewhere... therefore their mates see them having an 'easy life' and now the world has changed 'cause of sept 11th and it's consequences that is no longer the case......

in my time in the RAF (and i'm sure footy68 will appear at some point to back this up!) it was a very cushy time to be in the forces... relatively speaking we were all wrapped in cotton wool (the RAF even more so!) and on a personal note i used to spend approx 200+ days each year abroad... you could guarantee to see the states at least twice and even included ex red flag at nellis AFB 10 miles out from vegas on FULL expenses with hotels/transport/spends inc.. my only problem was keeping hold of my women!! (some would say that had nowt to do with the job!!!!)

even the RAF has has it's own dangers within the world's problems and the more these problems that OUR military face come to the public eye (anyone changed their view on ross kemp recently????) then that can only be in direct support of the sacrificies that they AND their families are giving up..

up until recently (due to mrs TTD's there) i was having all the smellies that were confiscated from passengers at the airport, shipped to RAF Brize Norton and stuck on a transport out to iraq and afghanistan for the troops to use... we were talking TONS of the stuff too!! they still need what we only take for granted, so if your kids are bored, you have a few bit's and bobs in a drawer somewhere, please make that bit of an effort and stick em in an old shoe box and get em off to these guys !

remember the vast majority are only only in their 20's probably even younger!!

will switch off rant mode!!! but note to mods!!

can we have a part of the board kept for these youtube clips of stuff supporting our guys??? anything from 'amarillo' to whatever it is this week can only help and show that we suport them??

always been a problem with the forces that their friends only really see them when they are home for the weekend or on leave..

they are relatively better paid than their friends and sometimes have a tan to sport/show-off from their latest trip somewhere... therefore their mates see them having an 'easy life' and now the world has changed 'cause of sept 11th and it's consequences that is no longer the case......

in my time in the RAF (and i'm sure footy68 will appear at some point to back this up!) it was a very cushy time to be in the forces... relatively speaking we were all wrapped in cotton wool (the RAF even more so!) and on a personal note i used to spend approx 200+ days each year abroad... you could guarantee to see the states at least twice and even included ex red flag at nellis AFB 10 miles out from vegas on FULL expenses with hotels/transport/spends inc.. my only problem was keeping hold of my women!! (some would say that had nowt to do with the job!!!!)

even the RAF has has it's own dangers within the world's problems and the more these problems that OUR military face come to the public eye (anyone changed their view on ross kemp recently????) then that can only be in direct support of the sacrificies that they AND their families are giving up..

up until recently (due to mrs TTD's there) i was having all the smellies that were confiscated from passengers at the airport, shipped to RAF Brize Norton and stuck on a transport out to iraq and afghanistan for the troops to use... we were talking TONS of the stuff too!! they still need what we only take for granted, so if your kids are bored, you have a few bit's and bobs in a drawer somewhere, please make that bit of an effort and stick em in an old shoe box and get em off to these guys !

remember the vast majority are only only in their 20's probably even younger!!

will switch off rant mode!!! but note to mods!!

can we have a part of the board kept for these youtube clips of stuff supporting our guys??? anything from 'amarillo' to whatever it is this week can only help and show that we suport them??

as an ex raf too,totally agree with your views..

we were totally wrapped up in cotton wool..

the squaddies/pongos etc always took stick from us,but they were the ones who cleaned up the mess..we just sat in the background,all so cosy.

good luck to everyone in the forces..its needed with this government wanting to be "the lawkeepers of the land"with the yanks!

as an ex RAF too,totally agree with your views..

we were totally wrapped up in cotton wool..

the squaddies/pongos etc always took stick from us,but they were the ones who cleaned up the mess..we just sat in the background,all so cosy.

good luck to everyone in the forces..its needed with this government wanting to be "the lawkeepers of the land"with the yanks!

it's like the old saying goes.... the RAF is the only armed service that sends it's officers into war, whilst the troops stay behind!!!

was on Op Warden many moons ago.... saw the 'tonkas' off on their three hour sorties over Eye -Rack whilst we went to the BX (yank tax free shopping centre!) or had a few hours poolside!!

cotton wool my friend..... embarrassingly no other way to describe it

ps...are you the fella that was looking for a 'sentry' avatar??? may have one for you if so!

i was at aldershot around '85(where the paras are trained)

we were there at the raf catering college part..a little part set aside for us.

it really drilled it home to me how mentally tough the paras are-seeing em in training was jaw-dropping.

we were always told to stay well away from any pubs,etc were they supped at and it was advice we took in.

but i'll always remember a conversation with a couple of them on a train back to london on a friday night going on the pop for the weekend.

at first we were dumping it!!!!

these wern't young uns though,been about and obviously seen a bit of action.

but as soon as they found out we were raf cook it was all handshakes and back-slaps..

why?

cause they said the best meals they always had were in the raf areas/bases !

and though we wern't anything like officer material,looked at us as we were "different"..but in a respect way.

a very happy night during some very miserable moments at aldershot.

Top job to anybody serving. I wish I was still 'in' but then at times I'm glad I'm not. I understand TTD's cotton wool thing, but several old sweats I served with have been shot at on more than 1 occasion. Anyway good luck to all who aim to protect us from the Yanks, I mean enemy.

• 2 weeks later...
ps...are you the fella that was looking for a 'sentry' avatar??? may have one for you if so!

It was me, as I'm ex 8 and 23 Sqns. As said I was also RAF, but can't 100% agree with the sentiments (about 90% though). I spent time in the Falklands living in an ISO container. I also did time flying over Kosovo/Bosnia when that was going on, and I was no officer! However, the rest of the time Red Flag, Maple Flag (Canada), Flying Fish (Malaysia) was pretty much hotels, swimming pools and cheap beer. Not a bad life.

KtF

HERO or what????????????

British soldier awarded the Military Cross for fighting off 150 Taliban

A BRITISH soldier who almost single-handedly took on 150 Taliban after he and his 50-man convoy were ambushed in Afghanistan has been awarded the Military Cross.

Fusilier Damien Hields used his grenade machinegun to destroy seven Taliban positions before his ambushers realised he was their main threat. After peppering his vehicle with bullets, they hit the 24-year-old soldier. He had to be dragged off for treatment by his driver after he tried to continue fighting.

“Fusilier Hields showed extraordinary courage under intense fire,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Huw James, his commanding officer. “I was astonished at the state of his vehicle. There were so many holes in it, it was like a teabag. The Taliban did everything in their power to neutralise [him] and Fusilier Hields was having none of it. His actions allowed his patrol to come out of the ambush in which they were outnumbered by three or four to one and probably saved a lot of lives.”

Hields was awarded not only the Military Cross, the third highest award for gallantry, but also the Nato Meritorious Service Medal for his actions, which were part of a Nato operation.

However, he will not be allowed to wear the Nato award because army rules do not permit soldiers to wear non-British medals - an anomaly that has upset his commanding officer. “We think he has earned this decoration for gallantry and that it is only right that he should be allowed to wear it,” James said.

Hields was one of 28 Military Crosses announced last week. There were also five Conspicuous Gallantry Crosses, the second highest award after the Victoria Cross.

From Denby in north Wales, he joined the army at 16 and is married with a four-year-old son. Last summer he was posted with the 1st Battalion, the Royal Welsh to Kandahar in southern Afghanistan. One mission, 100 miles north in Uruzgan province, was to help Dutch troops disrupt the movement of Taliban fighters and drugs smugglers.

They were on their way back to Kandahar on June 3, driving south in a valley, when the Taliban attacked. One of the Land Rovers hit a landmine and was flipped upside down by the blast. “There were Taliban dug in all around and they started hitting us with AK47s and mortars. We could not see where they were at first.”

Hields followed the trail of RPG-7 rocket-propelled grenades coming towards him and started firing grenades one at a time, trying to home in. “Then I switched to automatic fire,” he said. A grenade machine gun has a box with 32 grenade rounds. “I emptied a box onto that position and you could see all the dust and smoke flying about where they hit.

“After that no fire came back from that position and I moved on to the next one. One or two rounds until I got onto the target, and switch to automatic and empty the box.”

Realising that Hields was the main threat to them, the remaining Taliban fighters homed in on him with their RPG7s, Dushka heavy machineguns and Kalash-nikov rifles. Hields was undaunted and continued firing.

“I got through six boxes in about 15 minutes and we were winning the fight,” he said. “They started it. We were going to finish it.”

One of the Taliban rounds finally hit home as he was bending down to reload. “I felt a sharp punch in the kidneys on my right side,” he said. “It knocked me into the bottom of the [Land-Rover]. I looked down and saw a hole in my body armour and a bit of blood.”

Hields was dragged out of the Taliban fire and back about 20 yards where Lance-Corporal Carley Williams, the female medic attached to the troops, had dashed through enemy fire to set up a first aid position.

“The lads were screaming at me to get into cover,” said Williams, 23, from Llanelli. They saw one round actually pass between my legs.” She was awarded the Joint Commanders’ Commendation for her bravery.

Hields said: “It turned out the bullet had smashed a rib and gone out of me again without touching any internal organs which was very lucky. It was just a flesh wound really.”

He and the other wounded were evacuated by helicopter. After treatment and recuperation, Hields was back taking part in operations in Afghanistan in July. “Obviously I’m extremely proud but I’ve got friends still recovering from injuries and it’s them I’m more worried about.”

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aye, I watched Andy McNab's Tour of Duty the other night, and that particular broadcast was about PWRR's amazing defence of CIMIC House on the Tigris - the Sniper 1 book.

This video is in Memory of Private "Ray" Rayment who lost his life in this heroic contact, and to all the boys who fought so bravely in the month long siege.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyir0X2zY8M

Edited by rummytheowl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow can't believe i've only just spotted this thread!

Agree with everything said so far, as a serving soldier its good to feel the support of the public. Having just left a really chushy job i'm now back doing proper soldier stuff, so could find myself out there very soon, but the most scary thought for me is the thought of missing latics games!!!