Shez: "You can do it if you want it badly enough."

Whilst still keeping one eye on relegation, Shez has challenged the players to do the business to get into the play-offs. The MEN reports:

Preview: Oldham v Yeovil

Fred Austin

15/ 2/2008

OLDHAM boss John Sheridan has told his play-off hopefuls: "You can do it if you want it badly enough."

He has targeted two points a game - there are 16 left - for a top-six finish and wants nothing less than the maximum from Saturday's visit of Yeovil Town.

Latics chase their third home win on the trot and Sheridan believes their form at Boundary Park will be vital as in a big promotion push.

He said: "There's lots to play for and anything can happen in this division, you can see that by the results week in, week out.

"Any side can drop points and it is crucial that we go on a winning run and get them as early as possible.

"That would give us even more belief that we can do it.

"We also have to be very careful because if we don't get into the winning habit and teams below us start picking up points, we could find ourselves fighting relegation.

"That can still happen, you only have to look at the other results in midweek when we lost at Bristol Rovers."

Oldham are unlikely to make any changes to take on Yeovil who will include former Latics players Terrell Forbes and Paul Warne although a third, keeper Steve Mildenhall, is out injured.

Sheridan added: "It won't be easy because they are a decent side with some good, experienced players who know what this division is all about.

"They lost in the play-offs last season and, like ourselves, will feel they will fancy another crack this time round.

"We have to take the game to teams at our place and create chances from the start.

"Yeovil is definitely a game we can win, even though we were lucky to get a point down there a few weeks ago when our keeper Mark Crossley played well. He had to!

"We have beaten them at home in the past couple of season and I see no reason why we can't make it three on the spin.

"Games are coming thick and fast and I want us to win every one.

"We are a side with lots of energy and we have to learn how to use it to good effect and become more consistent performers."

Whilst still keeping one eye on relegation, Shez has challenged the players to do the business to get into the play-offs. The MEN reports:

Preview: Oldham v Yeovil

Fred Austin

15/ 2/2008

OLDHAM boss John Sheridan has told his play-off hopefuls: "You can do it if you want it badly enough."

He has targeted two points a game - there are 16 left - for a top-six finish and wants nothing less than the maximum from Saturday's visit of Yeovil Town.

Latics chase their third home win on the trot and Sheridan believes their form at Boundary Park will be vital as in a big promotion push.

He said: "There's lots to play for and anything can happen in this division, you can see that by the results week in, week out.

"Any side can drop points and it is crucial that we go on a winning run and get them as early as possible.

"That would give us even more belief that we can do it.

"We also have to be very careful because if we don't get into the winning habit and teams below us start picking up points, we could find ourselves fighting relegation.

"That can still happen, you only have to look at the other results in midweek when we lost at Bristol Rovers."

Oldham are unlikely to make any changes to take on Yeovil who will include former Latics players Terrell Forbes and Paul Warne although a third, keeper Steve Mildenhall, is out injured.

Sheridan added: "It won't be easy because they are a decent side with some good, experienced players who know what this division is all about.

"They lost in the play-offs last season and, like ourselves, will feel they will fancy another crack this time round.

"We have to take the game to teams at our place and create chances from the start.

"Yeovil is definitely a game we can win, even though we were lucky to get a point down there a few weeks ago when our keeper Mark Crossley played well. He had to!

"We have beaten them at home in the past couple of season and I see no reason why we can't make it three on the spin.

"Games are coming thick and fast and I want us to win every one.

"We are a side with lots of energy and we have to learn how to use it to good effect and become more consistent performers."

See I knew he read this forum!!

See I knew he read this forum!!

lets just hope the team want it as badly as us fans do then.

there aint no reason why we cant do this,and get into the playoffs again.

and so what if we bring in some players that may not sign for us permanantly,who cares,we would be promoted and out of this :censored: of a league.

bring it on.

My partner in crime, Jacko was correct last night when he said that Sheridan is tryin to keep the pay on the day punter comin through the doors cos the season is almost slippin away. The home forms been dire in the main and the crowds have indeed suffered. So should we fail between now and 10 games to go, it'll be mighty disappointin crowds there on in. So it's as much a PR job as it is reading between the lines wher Shez is admitting it's now or never this season.

If he (shez) & the board want it bad enough why the hell have we no striker?

After the game today we will all be back on saying we need a striker davies doesnt hold the ball up enough and it comes back to defense too quickly.

We havent the players to get to the playoffs FACT!

:titanic::titanic:

Edited by KYLEOAFC

My partner in crime, Jacko was correct last night when he said that Sheridan is tryin to keep the pay on the day punter comin through the doors cos the season is almost slippin away. The home forms been dire in the main and the crowds have indeed suffered. So should we fail between now and 10 games to go, it'll be mighty disappointin crowds there on in. So it's as much a PR job as it is reading between the lines wher Shez is admitting it's now or never this season.

Nail on head. And, if we have nothing to play for during the run-in, season ticket sales for next season will suffer.

Another relegation battle wouldn't do them much good, either.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Nail on head. And, if we have nothing to play for during the run-in, season ticket sales for next season will suffer.

Another relegation battle wouldn't do them much good, either.

Oh here we go... its amazing how shez making a positive statement about the fact we can still make the playoffs, sudddenly turns into a thread about impending doom...

What exactly do you expect him to say.... "oh we are pretty mediocre at the moment, ive told the lads not to bother and we might aswell start again next season" ... rubbish... I have every confidence that he still believes we can make the playoffs

I believe some of the people on this thread were calling for the the club to show some ambition.... surely belief and ambition go hand in hand... how about just taking the statement for what it is - shez saying if we beilieve we can still make the playoffs... which we can...

... and as for not having the players to make the playoffs - rubbish.. you tellin me that clubs such at Tranmere, Orient, carlisle etc.. have beter squads than us... they dont... they have just had the rub of the green so far... anything can still happen as Shez is rightly saying here...

... so come on, stop playing to a persona and actually take what shez says for face value for once.... he's a bloomin football manager, the subtext isnt exactly prime on his mind when he speaks....

Oh here we go... its amazing how shez making a positive statement about the fact we can still make the playoffs, sudddenly turns into a thread about impending doom...

What exactly do you expect him to say.... "oh we are pretty mediocre at the moment, ive told the lads not to bother and we might aswell start again next season" ... rubbish... I have every confidence that he still believes we can make the playoffs

I believe some of the people on this thread were calling for the the club to show some ambition.... surely belief and ambition go hand in hand... how about just taking the statement for what it is - shez saying if we beilieve we can still make the playoffs... which we can...

... and as for not having the players to make the playoffs - rubbish.. you tellin me that clubs such at Tranmere, Orient, carlisle etc.. have beter squads than us... they dont... they have just had the rub of the green so far... anything can still happen as Shez is rightly saying here...

... so come on, stop playing to a persona and actually take what shez says for face value for once.... he's a bloomin football manager, the subtext isnt exactly prime on his mind when he speaks....

spot on big fin

people always try n twist what a manager says so it turns to something there thinking about.

im thinking about the playoofs again,and how good it would be to get into them,then hoping we bring in a hitman to help us cruise through them.....cue berratment

This has got nowt to do with what anybody said-which was to merely point out that, slim as our chances of the play-offs are, Shez is talking them up (or, perhaps, has been told to) in order to stave off the invitable loss of interest, with all the negative financial effect of very poor attendances, that an end to the season with nothing at stake would involve.

Not on my part, however-I'm now off to the match.

This has got nowt to do with what anybody said-which was to merely point out that, slim as our chances of the play-offs are, Shez is talking them up (or, perhaps, has been told to) in order to stave off the invitable loss of interest, with all the negative financial effect of very poor attendances, that an end to the season with nothing at stake would involve.

Not on my part, however-I'm now off to the match.

No, yet again you just ignored everything i said in my post, and repeated what you said in the post before. You said this two posts up, and i replied that shez is simply being honest... and yet again you have come back with some imaginary subtext that shez is saying this for purely commercial reasons....

Oh and, I have never seen two bigger contradictory statement is one sentence:

This has got nowt to do with what anybody said-which was to merely point out that, slim as our chances of the play-offs are, Shez is talking them up

:wacko:

Oh and I just wanted to send you a big :applause1::imnotworthy: for your self proclaimed hero-status at attending the match... well done sir, you are slowly approaching the superfan status....

No, yet again you just ignored everything i said in my post, and repeated what you said in the post before. You said this two posts up, and i replied that shez is simply being honest... and yet again you have come back with some imaginary subtext that shez is saying this for purely commercial reasons....

Oh and, I have never seen two bigger contradictory statement is one sentence:

:wacko:

Oh and I just wanted to send you a big :applause1::imnotworthy: for your self proclaimed hero-status at attending the match... well done sir, you are slowly approaching the superfan status....

I don't know whether Shez truly believes we can make the play-offs, and neither does anybody else. However, if there wasn't some effort coming from within the club to keep what interest still exists among the faithful alive, then there would be something very wrong.

Where did I imply there was aything heroic about attending the match? Which I rather enjoyed as it happens-nothing like a Latics win in the BP sunshine. And you can't say that about many home games this season.

Think its a tad cynical to say its a PR move to get bums on seats think he has has got to give the players something to aim at as a group for the rest of this season. The chances are that in my opinion we won't make the play offs but while its still to play for we may aswell give it a damn good go how is shez supposed to answer the question What are the aims for the rest of this season?

Edited by GlossopLatic