Less than 4,700 home fans today!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world
ok,REDEVELOPMENT OF THE EXISTING STADIUM then if you prefer,but once its done it will be a new stadium wont it???

No, you miss my point.

Redevelopment of the stadium is whats happening. Thats a given.

What i am getting at is you are saying we are missing opportunities now.

This is my question:

Missed opportunities now and a redeveloped ground?

or

Short term revenue, taking the opportunities and keeping the stands as they are?

No, you miss my point.

Redevelopment of the stadium is whats happening. Thats a given.

What i am getting at is you are saying we are missing opportunities now.

This is my question:

Missed opportunities now and a redeveloped ground?

or

Short term revenue, taking the opportunities and keeping the stands as they are?

fair enough.

why not both???

the redevelopment is a given,its happening very soon.but it wont be ready fully in its entitatity for what...another 4 years?? how much money could we have potentially lost in that time scale,that would go to either paying off the debt,into a transfer kitty and also bringing in new and old suppporters alike.

Guest sheridans_world

yea the problem is we wont be able to fit 10k in the ground for another 4 years!

When we get to a complete capacity of 16k, then we'll have to bring season ticket opportunities in.

Guest oa_exile
fair enough.

why not both???

the redevelopment is a given,its happening very soon.but it wont be ready fully in its entitatity for what...another 4 years?? how much money could we have potentially lost in that time scale,that would go to either paying off the debt,into a transfer kitty and also bringing in new and old suppporters alike.

Touched on this subject on Saturday.

Club needs say average att of 7,000 to break even , last season att ave was approx 6,300 = loss

TTA will have adjusted the budget for 2007-08 accordingly , we are this season to date down on last seasons 6,300 , so

come the end of the season i would assume that the "Everton" money and the "Trotters" money will be used to shore up this seasons losses ?

As discussed above it's a Catch 22 scenario it's down to the fans to attend matches to cut the losses the TTA are being subjected to.

I'm sure Mr Corney said that getting promoted would mean the club (ie him) losing more money than it does at the moment, the Championship isn't exactly the Promised Land in terms of revenue if you want to have much chance of staying in it.

Isn't it the case with us that good football/results = increased attendance at away games more than at BP? Which must irk TTA a bit.

And finally, it would be great to get more fans in, paying less, and make up the difference on what they spend in the ground - sadly the catering and bar facilities are so run down that they can't provide even a basic level of service with current attendances. No doubt when the building is completed there will be several nice places to have a drink, a meal, decent pies/burgers and so on, but a pint of piss in the Royle Bar and a cold burnt pie aren't going to sell well enough to pay for a promotion winning team.

maybe if you stopped sounding so smug and pias people would take up your cause more valiantly and back you more.

This thread is about me saying it was disappointing to get less than 4,700 fans on Saturday. I'm not looking for people to take up my cause valiantly and back me.

You said until the stadium is developed, and we're sat mid-table in the Championship with what people perceive as quality players, our attendances will be lucky to breach 6,500. I asked you to tell me how that was going to happen based on the current budgetary restrictions, so I can stop worrying, and you resorted to saying I'm smug and pious.

The break-even figure is about 8,000, based on current wages and admission prices. Promotion would lead to better players = higher wages = higher admission prices = higher break-even figure. Thankfully regular crowds of over 4,000 visiting fans would help towards the new break-even figure, but those same visiting fans also mean an increase in overheads in terms of policing costs.

The truth is that some Oldhamers don't come to watch Latics, they come to watch the opposition, particularly if they are a higher ranked team. Sure they'd love to see Latics beat these teams, but it is the challenge of playing those teams that attracts them. I'm disappointed that they don't turn up to encourage the team to win enough games to get it into fixtures against these more attractive teams on a regular basis.

That's what disappoints me and if I sat back and didn't express my disappointment, I would feel guilty of being smug. I'm told not to keep going on about it, because it won't change anything. Others keep saying Taylor should be playing on the right - nobody tells them not to keep going on about it. Like me, they're entitled to express their opinion. I'm amazed that my expression of disappointment seems to wind up people.

This thread is about me saying it was disappointing to get less than 4,700 fans on Saturday. I'm not looking for people to take up my cause valiantly and back me.

You said until the stadium is developed, and we're sat mid-table in the Championship with what people perceive as quality players, our attendances will be lucky to breach 6,500. I asked you to tell me how that was going to happen based on the current budgetary restrictions, so I can stop worrying, and you resorted to saying I'm smug and pious.

The break-even figure is about 8,000, based on current wages and admission prices. Promotion would lead to better players = higher wages = higher admission prices = higher break-even figure. Thankfully regular crowds of over 4,000 visiting fans would help towards the new break-even figure, but those same visiting fans also mean an increase in overheads in terms of policing costs.

The truth is that some Oldhamers don't come to watch Latics, they come to watch the opposition, particularly if they are a higher ranked team. Sure they'd love to see Latics beat these teams, but it is the challenge of playing those teams that attracts them. I'm disappointed that they don't turn up to encourage the team to win enough games to get it into fixtures against these more attractive teams on a regular basis.

That's what disappoints me and if I sat back and didn't express my disappointment, I would feel guilty of being smug. I'm told not to keep going on about it, because it won't change anything. Others keep saying Taylor should be playing on the right - nobody tells them not to keep going on about it. Like me, they're entitled to express their opinion. I'm amazed that my expression of disappointment seems to wind up people.

it winds people up because its after every game,win lose or draw,and is used as a weapon to berrate the public of oldham who wont come to watch us.

yes you are perfectly entitled to express your concern and so on.no one is saying your not,just maybe not as often.

at least at the end of every season you have the satisfaction of sitting back and saying,yup,i went to evey game i backed the lads and the clubs,and have nothing to feel guilty about.

do you not think that the club should say right,we want a rocking atmosphere inside bp whilst we try to get into the playoff final.lets reduce matchday prices to the same as a season ticket holder £15 a game,bring a kid under 12 they get in free,that would encourage people to come,and bring a child,and spend other money inside the ground to help make up the difference in ticket price.

once someone comes and sees were trying they would come again,and again and who knows,maybe become a season ticket holder.

most clubs do this to try and tempt stay away fans,ours doesnt.advertise the next game in the local papers and any incentives and also in the local papers of our catchment area,like middleton and rochdale and tameside and so on.

i want to see bp full and rocking just as much as anybody,but everytime i speak to someone about us and how its going i hear the same thing every time,they wont pay £20 for third division football.

it winds people up because its after every game,win lose or draw,and is used as a weapon to berrate the public of oldham who wont come to watch us.

yes you are perfectly entitled to express your concern and so on.no one is saying your not,just maybe not as often.

at least at the end of every season you have the satisfaction of sitting back and saying,yup,i went to evey game i backed the lads and the clubs,and have nothing to feel guilty about.

do you not think that the club should say right,we want a rocking atmosphere inside bp whilst we try to get into the playoff final.lets reduce matchday prices to the same as a season ticket holder £15 a game,bring a kid under 12 they get in free,that would encourage people to come,and bring a child,and spend other money inside the ground to help make up the difference in ticket price.

once someone comes and sees were trying they would come again,and again and who knows,maybe become a season ticket holder.

most clubs do this to try and tempt stay away fans,ours doesnt.advertise the next game in the local papers and any incentives and also in the local papers of our catchment area,like middleton and rochdale and tameside and so on.

i want to see bp full and rocking just as much as anybody,but everytime i speak to someone about us and how its going i hear the same thing every time,they wont pay £20 for third division football.

I understand where you are coming from Ed and in my opinion, Diego is preaching to the converted on here. Given the choice, whether we are in Canada, the US; Thailand or Israel, every OWTB member would want to be at BP on a Saturday afternoon. That said, Diego has a valid point and if through the discussions we can hit on something that may help OAFC, then it has to be worthwhile.

I think though you are missing his point in a few ways and he isn't using it as a weapon or a vehicle to berate the people of Oldham. Ok so it bugs people that it keeps getting raised but like any post, if you don't like it then say your piece or move on.

The thing with reduced admission is that we have tried it Season after Season and it does not appear to work. Often that is because the Team let us down but in reality, many people do have other things in life and will only go somewhere that is cheap. I'd guess the reason why it hasn't been done this Season is that we didn't have home games on the 2 saturdays before Christmas. Maybe something is in the pipeline for later. I hope so but I fear it will not lead to many getting hooked. But one would be enough I suppose.

I totally agree with letting kids in cheap/ free. I took my 3 on Saturday and because my Season Ticket is in the Main Stand, it cost me £18 (the youngest got in for nowt). That to me is scandalous and means that I have to pick and chose when to bring them. They loved it though and are still talking about it now.

The other point though is that it doesn't cost £20 to watch Latics. It costs £14 in the paddocks where you get a great view especially if you get there early (ie 2.45!). People do moan about the cost and yet the only seats unsold for the Huddersfield game were the £14 ones. That's less than the £15 that you are advocating.

Makes you think doesn't it.

I took my Dad to see Oldham play Doncaster in December. This is a Man who is Latics through and through and has been since the late 40's. He sat there and watched the game when we drew 1-1. He said at the end. "Well I see they've gone backwards then. I don't think I want to come and watch that kind of football again." That is the problem. When the fare served up on the pitch is to a suitably high standard, and is consistantly so. People will be happy to come to BP. It is down to the club to ensure they have the playing staff to entertain the fans. It is nothing to do with the admission prices. They are comparable to many other entertainment venues and are even better value than some. There is also the question of comfort. The new ground may answer this issue. The knee room in the MS is atrocious but sit anywhere else other than the Chaddy and your'e open to the elements. Whether it be rain coming in sideways or blinding sunlight as was the problem for many sat in the Lookers on Saturday. My suggestion would be a family ticket. Two adults and two kids for £50.00. That would possibly address Inspirals issues re his Kids and could encourage familys to come together.

I also think DS is preaching to the converted but if each season ticket holder talked one non attender into going along for one Saturday that would almost double the size of the crowd.

I would like to see this idea of the more ST take up the lower the price tried out. Whereby the ST starts out at a certain price and cash back each figure achieved. I don't know if it's manageable, however I like that idea more than others suggested. This thou would have to be advertised to death and banged on about around town repeatedly. I wonder if it could also be done in conjunction with this monthly pay thingymybob? how successful was that way of paying this season? anyone actually know?

Guest oa_exile
The other point though is that it doesn't cost £20 to watch Latics. It costs £14 in the paddocks where you get a great view especially if you get there early (ie 2.45!). People do moan about the cost and yet the only seats unsold for the Huddersfield game were the £14 ones. That's less than the £15 that you are advocating.

Makes you think doesn't it.

*Cough* £16.00 and £10.00

*Cough* £16.00 and £10.00

I thought it was £2 cheaper if bought in advance even on the paddocks? It was for the kids' ones on saturday as I paid £9 rather than £11 in the Main Stand.

That's the thing about this £20 to watch Latics. It's actually £18 if you buy (or even order by telephone) in advance.

Guest oa_exile
I thought it was £2 cheaper if bought in advance even on the paddocks? It was for the kids' ones on saturday as I paid £9 rather than £11 in the Main Stand.

That's the thing about this £20 to watch Latics. It's actually £18 if you buy (or even order by telephone) in advance.

Correct , sorry thought you were quoting "Pay on the day" prices

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. I don't think many people know that you can do this (I didn't last season) and if we made our ticket purchasing experience easier we may make headway into increasing ticket sales. It would be a start anyway.

I've said before that if you made the purchase of tickets easier for some they'd actually buy them. If the people wont come to the tickets take the tickets to the people. Oddly enough if you stood in front of someone and said if you buy this now you get £2 off as opposed to going to the turnstyle, some herberts would actually buy it cos they see a saving!

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. I don't think many people know that you can do this (I didn't last season) and if we made our ticket purchasing experience easier we may make headway into increasing ticket sales. It would be a start anyway.

thats because the club dont advertise it enough.

my view of buying over the phone is you cant,unless your further than 20 miles away.

like i said when i went to get tickets for forest and leeds,i was told over the phone that unless your a certain distance you cant book and pay over the phone.to which my flabber was ghasted!!!

the manchester franchise teams have stores in shopping centres,were fans can go in and buy a complete range of products like at the club shop,and im sure they also have ticket information and so on.

in oldham town centre you can buy a football top for united city chelsea arsenal spurs and so on and so forth,but its hard to get an oldham top.(cue someone saying sports direct)

the point is,there are empty shop premises in oldham centre,why cant the club rent one,fill it with merchandise but also sell match tickets,people find it difficult to get to bp due to work commitments and so forth,but people always find time to visit shopping centres,even the wife or a relative could go,the point is it would be prominant.

and i personally think they would sell more products that way,other than people being restricted to just the club shop and ticket office.

in oldham town centre you can buy a football top for united city chelsea arsenal spurs and so on and so forth,but its hard to get an oldham top.(cue someone saying sports direct)

the point is,there are empty shop premises in oldham centre,why cant the club rent one,fill it with merchandise but also sell match tickets,people find it difficult to get to bp due to work commitments and so forth,but people always find time to visit shopping centres,even the wife or a relative could go,the point is it would be prominant.

and i personally think they would sell more products that way,other than people being restricted to just the club shop and ticket office.

We did have one a while back. The reason there are quite a few empty units in the town centre and new shops appearing and disappearing within a few months is the cost of leasing the units themselves.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

What a good idea - the simple ones are always the best.

Seeing as people at the club read this board I am expecting to see this idea implemented in time for next season. It could be called something catchy like Latique....

Hasnt there ever been a Latics shop in the town centre? I remember there being an Oldham Rugby League one.

We did have one a while back. The reason there are quite a few empty units in the town centre and new shops appearing and disappearing within a few months is the cost of leasing the units themselves.

But in turn that lowers the cost of them!

Latics could realistically commit to a long term lease and negotiate a low rate in return.

But in turn that lowers the cost of them!

Latics could realistically commit to a long term lease and negotiate a low rate in return.

In theory yes, still doesn't explain the units that are constantly changing hands or left empty though. Oldham rugby did have a shop in the town centre near to the old Argos. Not there now though think they moved elsewhere.

its not feasible, what would they sell? 5 kits a week and maybe 50 tickets, the odd dvd and a duvet once a month. wouldnt cover the rent.

so give us an alternative suggestion then instead of just saying its not feasable.

the club could negotiate with the spindles managers and owners and do a deal regarding rent for advertising at the ground.

so give us an alternative suggestion then instead of just saying its not feasable.

the club could negotiate with the spindles managers and owners and do a deal regarding rent for advertising at the ground.

In this day and age of the internet, how's about buying online?? It's my one major bugbear with the club and for an initial investment, I'm sure it would pay for itself in the long run.

ive made them before regarding cheaper fa cup tickets for season ticket holders, vouchers v hudds for the carlisle game and cheaper admission full stop. im quite impressed with teamcard though, but i havent got one!