Less than 4,700 home fans today!

In this day and age of the internet, how's about buying online?? It's my one major bugbear with the club and for an initial investment, I'm sure it would pay for itself in the long run.

I may be overstepping the mark here but I know that the Club have been looking seriously at this and I'd expect an announcement in due course.

On the other points raised, I do need to send an email to Alan Hardy shortly and so I will post a link to this Topic. [Done]

Keep the ideas coming people and good on Diego for being a persistent old bugger. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try a pub scheme whereby an idividual collects monies and orders tickets to be delivered each week. Or have a van visit all estates in the area on a given evening at same time each week. Both schemes fall into pre purchase saving schemes. Advertise these in the chron with times and places of van visits to estates.

Take the tickets to the people. Rather than wait for the people to come to the tickets. And give them their savings.

Edited by Lags

Guest oa_exile

Didnt the Club sell merchandise through one of the Sports Shops in Spindles at one time (near to Next) ?

Cant remember its name but i assume from the posts this does not happen now ........... why ?

Didnt the Club sell merchandise through one of the Sports Shops in Spindles at one time (near to Next) ?

Cant remember its name but i assume from the posts this does not happen now ........... why ?

Streetwise got bought out and Soccerworld didn't want them

Edited by ritchie82

Guest oa_exile
demand, sadly.

If this is true them why would the Club want to invest in a Town Centre Shop then ? , the turnover would not pay for the cost and running of it.

On the ticket thingy , I agree 100% with Lags about taking the tickets to the fans , the ticket office is just not enough as people cant get there (Me for instance) or cant be arsed to jump in the car to save £2.00 when they will probably spend that on petrol getting there and back.

What about a loyalty bonus for those that cant buy an ST outright. A simple card that gains a stamp each ticket purchased with the tenth game free or whatever the equivalent discount is to purchasing a ST? actually the discount would possibly be more attractive come the fifth game.

If this is true them why would the Club want to invest in a Town Centre Shop then ? , the turnover would not pay for the cost and running of it.

On the ticket thingy , I agree 100% with Lags about taking the tickets to the fans , the ticket office is just not enough as people cant get there (Me for instance) or cant be arsed to jump in the car to save £2.00 when they will probably spend that on petrol getting there and back.

why are you asking me my question? lol

What about a loyalty bonus for those that cant buy an ST outright. A simple card that gains a stamp each ticket purchased with the tenth game free or whatever the equivalent discount is to purchasing a ST? actually the discount would possibly be more attractive come the fifth game.

teamcard

I havent read the in's and out of teamcard, thou I was sent one as a ST Holder. However the simpliest things are those that can be seen. A little card with with empty squares that gain a stamp each ticket purchased would be more effective cos it's simple to see and understand.

Guest oa_exile

Again good idea , would also work for all ticket & cup match allocations as Daz said "Teamcard".

I remember the days when you collected yer voucher from the programme :)

it winds people up because its after every game,win lose or draw,and is used as a weapon to berrate the public of oldham who wont come to watch us.

yes you are perfectly entitled to express your concern and so on.no one is saying your not,just maybe not as often.

at least at the end of every season you have the satisfaction of sitting back and saying,yup,i went to evey game i backed the lads and the clubs,and have nothing to feel guilty about.

do you not think that the club should say right,we want a rocking atmosphere inside bp whilst we try to get into the playoff final.lets reduce matchday prices to the same as a season ticket holder £15 a game,bring a kid under 12 they get in free,that would encourage people to come,and bring a child,and spend other money inside the ground to help make up the difference in ticket price.

once someone comes and sees were trying they would come again,and again and who knows,maybe become a season ticket holder.

most clubs do this to try and tempt stay away fans,ours doesnt.advertise the next game in the local papers and any incentives and also in the local papers of our catchment area,like middleton and rochdale and tameside and so on.

i want to see bp full and rocking just as much as anybody,but everytime i speak to someone about us and how its going i hear the same thing every time,they wont pay £20 for third division football.

By thinking that I want to be satisfied by sitting back at the end of the season and having "nothing to feel guilty about" only illustrates that you are missing the point, despite my explaining my position many times.

I see myself as your basic 'Latics 'til I die' fan. I can count on two hands my highlights in supporting Latics for over 50 years. I have had more lowlights supporting Latics than many people have had hot dinners. I'm not bragging about anything, simpy illustrating that supporting Latics is not about logic or reason, it's about getting behind, and hopefully being proud of, a team representing a town where I was born and grew up. I am still reeling from the fact that the Club went within 24 hours of going into liquidation. I cannot believe my luck that TTA came over the horizon and not only saved the Club, but also continue to put their hands in their pockets. It grieves me that not enough people who were fearful of their Club going out of existence are prepared to back the Club by attending home games.

I understand that SkyTV has given generations of lovers of football a completely different perspective of the beautiful game, and raised their expectations if and when they go to see live football. In reality watching Third Division Latics is more like Breeze Hill than Brazil, but we do see flashes of Brazil. When those flashes are created by young local lads it makes it even more special.

For the avoidance of doubt I exclude from my comments all those who are unable to go to BP very often , if at all, for many personal reasons.

I certainly want the "rocking atmosphere" inside BP and Heaven knows I've posted often enough about doing my bit towards that end. I see thousands more turn up for free games and see many of them turn up for cheap games, but even then there has been no guarantee of a rocking atmosphere. Many also turn up for big games, regardless of admission prices. If I only ever saw someone in the pub when they hadn't got enough money to buy themselves a drink and expected me to buy it for them, I would get sick of it pretty quickly, and I just think that the least many people could do is support TTA instead of sponging off them.

I'm told that homes games aren't as attractive as away games because at home games many fans haven't had a skin-full of beer before the game. Then I'm told it's too expensive at BP. £20 would soon be doubled if they had that skin-full.

I think the majority of the people of Oldham who no longer watch Latics at home are content with the memories of Joe Royle's days, which they believe will never be repeated. Joe used to talk about the top flight being three divisions within a league, and it's even more true today.

I could stop mentioning the depressingly low gates and accept that Oldham is no longer a sports-minded town, but I just can't stop thinking that it shouldn't be like that, especialy when so many were prepared to fork out for a day at Everton and an anticipated day at Chelsea. I haven't got a solution but to just keep quiet about the problem would eat away inside me too much.

Yes I should accept that that's life - I should get real - but I can't. I fear that the present imbalance between the cost of running the Club and the number of people willing to support the Club cannot continue indefinitely. As I_C says if you can't stand reading my posts, then ignore them. One day the reason behind a OWTB messageboard may have died and I'm dreading that day.

its not feasible, what would they sell? 5 kits a week and maybe 50 tickets, the odd dvd and a duvet once a month. wouldnt cover the rent.

I dont believe a club shop in Oldham would generate a great deal of money for the club, however I do like to think it could at least break even. If that was the case the shop would bring other advantages and opportunities such as:

1) A presence in the town (finally).

A major plus. Look how busy the town is even mid-week. Its free advertisment reminding people we are here instead of only all these Man U posters in windows. Shove Latics in the towns face for a change! Posters in the windows of us at Wembley, of beating United, of the new ground. Flyers for the next 3 games being dished out with promotions on them. Kids at least would notice the club, and realise we are no Stalybridge Celtic as some seem to believe! Maybe get players in the shop 2 days a week and a full time Chaddy working there. All of a sudden a kid wants to go in the shop to see Chaddy/Andy Liddell and have a photo, then the kid nags for a latics football and a pencil case - then hopefully wants to go to a game and grows up a latic! Pro-active Boundary Blues recruitment also? Mothers love their kid to be in a club!

2) More accessible tickets.

As already said tickets selling in town would make things easier for many. Also If tickets can be bought on impulse in town then more WILL sell. Not many more, but as it is with tickets and merchandise only retailing at the club it is hard to get anybody to buy other than those who buy anyway. Any offers eg Teamcard currently go down the old 'preaching to the converted' route. I think good value family tickets would sell in town. Somebody mentioned a while ago the idea of the old chron stand being taken over to sell tickets - good idea, why not do that? If it sold 5 a day I expect costs would be covered! Also the odd occasions our ticket office can't cope the pressure could be eased.

Having read what I have written it is maybe wishful thinking, but I do think these simple ideas are reasonable especially if a premises could be secured at the right price and it is done the right way. It has to be a fun shop, not a dreary shop with a few latics shirts hung up and no music or mascot or anything! Part of the problem is people see us as dreary!!

With regards to the premises maybe a deal could be struck on a space for sponsership as someone suggested? Maybe the bloody council could help?!?! :wacko: Maybe we could organise a Carlotti/Latics shop and they pay all the rent and we sell their gear.....

Lags, you might remember ages ago on JKL I was trying to argue for a 10 ticket book that would give an incentive to those who can't make every game for whatever reason. I had to admit after ages of buffeting over the finances of it (Real and his pesky insistence on using relevant facts and figures :angry: ) that there wasn't much space between maing it unattractive and undermining the advantage of buying a ST. I do think we need something to turn 5 games a seasoners into 10 games, but I'm not sure how.

I dont believe a club shop in Oldham would generate a great deal of money for the club, however I do like to think it could at least break even. If that was the case the shop would bring other advantages and opportunities such as:

A major plus. Look how busy the town is even mid-week. Its free advertisment reminding people we are here instead of only all these Man U posters in windows. Shove Latics in the towns face for a change! Posters in the windows of us at Wembley, of beating United, of the new ground. Flyers for the next 3 games being dished out with promotions on them. Kids at least would notice the club, and realise we are no Stalybridge Celtic as some seem to believe! Maybe get players in the shop 2 days a week and a full time Chaddy working there. All of a sudden a kid wants to go in the shop to see Chaddy/Andy Liddell and have a photo, then the kid nags for a latics football and a pencil case - then hopefully wants to go to a game and grows up a latic! Pro-active Boundary Blues recruitment also? Mothers love their kid to be in a club!

As already said tickets selling in town would make things easier for many. Also If tickets can be bought on impulse in town then more WILL sell. Not many more, but as it is with tickets and merchandise only retailing at the club it is hard to get anybody to buy other than those who buy anyway. Any offers eg Teamcard currently go down the old 'preaching to the converted' route. I think good value family tickets would sell in town. Somebody mentioned a while ago the idea of the old chron stand being taken over to sell tickets - good idea, why not do that? If it sold 5 a day I expect costs would be covered! Also the odd occasions our ticket office can't cope the pressure could be eased.

Having read what I have written it is maybe wishful thinking, but I do think these simple ideas are reasonable especially if a premises could be secured at the right price and it is done the right way. It has to be a fun shop, not a dreary shop with a few latics shirts hung up and no music or mascot or anything! Part of the problem is people see us as dreary!!

With regards to the premises maybe a deal could be struck on a space for sponsership as someone suggested? Maybe the bloody council could help?!?! :wacko: Maybe we could organise a Carlotti/Latics shop and they pay all the rent and we sell their gear.....

this is exactly the point i was trying to make, a presence in our own town centre.

you could also sell tickets for away games travel,and also seaon tickets.

but at the very least it would get the club recognised by a far greater amount of people than we have at present.

this is where the club need to look,to get more ideas going and to market the club and the team,word of mouth just isnt good enough anymore.

Guest oa_exile
this is exactly the point i was trying to make, a presence in our own town centre.

you could also sell tickets for away games travel,and also seaon tickets.

but at the very least it would get the club recognised by a far greater amount of people than we have at present.

this is where the club need to look,to get more ideas going and to market the club and the team,word of mouth just isnt good enough anymore.

I am sure the club have looked at it ,maybe not recently though.

I agree it does make sense but i do believe it comes down to the finances as posted above.

Maybe a joint effort with the egg chasers ? , split the cost ?

I am sure the club have looked at it ,maybe not recently though.

I agree it does make sense but i do believe it comes down to the finances as posted above.

Maybe a joint effort with the egg chasers ? , split the cost ?

good idea

there are lots of other things when you put some thought into it,that other clubs do and we dont.

my daughter does cheerleeding in middleton,latics have the blue crew but you can never find out what they are doing or if there is a waiting list to join.

also every summer my lad gets a flier from rochdale football club about summer soccer schools.

why couldnt latics do one,im sure there are lots of kids out there who would be interested,and it also keeps the club in the spotlight during the close season.

the questions and aswers nights are good,maybe introduce a quiz night once a month,with a raffle for say signed shirts or balls,or even a half season ticket.

Palace have a concession in the Menswear section of the (absolutely huge) Allders department store in Croydon, I guess that is cheaper than a stand alone shop, but I guess doesn’t get you the same sort of exposure. I’m wondering if getting a little section in a supermarket could be an alternative? More people go to Sainsburys or Tesco than go to the town centre I would guess.

we do do soccer schools they are advertised in the oldham chron, the official site and the sports centre where they take place.

i take the point of the prescence given by a town centre shop, but if its taken 5 years to trim the annual losses why should tta now decide to start increasing the losses again? maybe in 2-3 years but i cant see the logic of it now. the rent in spindles is massive, thats why companies leave all the time.

also every summer my lad gets a flier from rochdale football club about summer soccer schools.

why couldnt latics do one,im sure there are lots of kids out there who would be interested,and it also keeps the club in the spotlight during the close season.

As has been said these have been done for many years now and are done at a lot of locations right across the town. Very successful they are. Not just outfield either, there are dedicated keeper training courses too.

Edit to add not just in the summer either, I did them in junior school and they were done each term after school with a presentation by a player at the end of the course. Jobbo! Get in B)

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Totally agree with these sentiments Stitch, especially things like the Boundary Blues recruitment.

BB currently have around 450 members which is approx 10% of our home gate. It's £50 to join for under 16's and for that they get a season ticket in either the NSM or the Chaddy (that's a saving of £109 on an U16's ticket) , they get use of the lounge which has a low cost tuck shop, playstations, board games, table footy etc plus they get reduced cost selected away trips, and get to go to the Christmas and end of season parties to meet the players. They also get entered into the mascot draw as well. (Incidentally the £50 ST is saving of £157 per season on the advance match ticket price and a massive £203 on the pay on the day prices for U16's!).

The point about all that is - how many average Oldham parents who drag their kids round the Town Square and Spindles on a Saturday know that they can get all that for the equivalent of £2.17 per game? In fact, how many regular BP attendees know this? That they could bring along a son/daughter/niece/nephew/neighbours kid or whatever for less than £2.50

I think it would be brilliant to have a town centre presence - enabling us to try to compete with the plethora of premier:censored: shirts and merchandise which can be bought, and allowing the kids to see that Latics is a brand which can be 'cool' or whatever. I'm fairly certain that if we could publicise stuff like this in a direct manner i.e. through a retail outlet in the centre of town we would be able to persuade a generation of 'armchair kids' to get down to BP on a Saturday instead of swanning round in their ManUre/Ciddee/Liverpoo shirts or whatever.

Edited by danoafc