Subtle change to team formation needed

Livermore is unconvincing at left back........Lomax deffo for me. Not sure about Livermore at left wing, I just don't think he's that good. Jarrett looked off the pace today and was carried by Allott who was my MOM today. Arguably, Allott is player of the season so far and is probably our most consistent player.

Livermore is unconvincing at left back........Lomax deffo for me. Not sure about Livermore at left wing, I just don't think he's that good. Jarrett looked off the pace today and was carried by Allott who was my MOM today. Arguably, Allott is player of the season so far and is probably our most consistent player.

I would say there is no argument

Jarretts passing is fantastic not sure I could agree with you that he was off the pace. Livermore, not really sure what he did wrong either. Oh AND WE WON 3-0 which i dont believe we have done for a long time.

Though thinking about it I had the sun in my eyes today so probably missed most of the game really.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Today was the first game I've been to since Hudds in the cup. So I guess I had a fresh eye on a few things.

Livermore is clearly a midfielder really and only ever a makeshift left back. However you can tell he's a quality player - very seldom got caught out and hardly ever wasted a ball.

The only thing Jarrett is missing is 100% match fitness - and he won't gain that sat on the bench. He looked about 80% fit today, but showed enough for me to think he'll improve and will be adding a little more quality and dynamism to our midfield after a couple more games.

Good game from Davies - he looked more like the player we had back in September today.

Overall it was an effective rather than spectacular performance, and I think Yeovil can feel a little aggrieved at the scoreline. But the last ten minutes showed a few more glimpses of what this team can do when its confidence is up.

A final thought - we finished today's game with 7 Latics youth products on the pitch (if you include Allott having come through the ranks, gone and come back). The future's bright...

Edited by garcon

Jarretts passing is fantastic not sure I could agree with you that he was off the pace. Livermore, not really sure what he did wrong either. Oh AND WE WON 3-0 which i dont believe we have done for a long time.

Though thinking about it I had the sun in my eyes today so probably missed most of the game really.

after seeing the season pan out the way it has i would agree with you on the tactical changes (except dropping jarrett, imo he is the reason our home for has improved, along with alexandra), but i would be very nervous about changing them now we have started to hit some home form.

i do however agree lomax looks very solid at left back, and taylor is incapable of beating his man down the left flank in most matches. he did well against gills, but i cant remember him having a successful game at all there all season. the team would look much more balenced if you played with a natural left and right winger, which is what i believe livermore and taylor are respectfully.

but like i said, i wouldnt change it now cos things are coming together

Livermoor does is steady as Shez says but he is n no way a defender. Lomax is a good defender and is positive going forwards.

Jarrett was a little slow but he creates more than everyone and spreads play more than anyone else. Id possibly drop livermoore.

We won 3-0 tho so maybe dont change anything.

Also the kids comeing through are very promising. Smalley looked lively when he came on and should become a nice winger. Alexandra is going to be a great player. They both juts need a little confidence to shoot more.

Edited by BESASTIAN11

I thought there was a subtle change of formation anyway. It looked for the first 20 that we were playing three across the back. Hazell, Stam and Eards. Livermore pushed on higher up the pitch. We seemed to revert to the usual after the first goal.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the club gave Lomax a three year contract to leave him sat on the bench. I know he's a young lad learning his trade but he hasn't let us down on the pitch. He must be somewhat frustrated. Livermore playing on the left hand side of midfield with Taylor pushed up alongside Davies would be my suggestion, at least until Hughes is fit. Taylor scored his goal from the right hand side last week so thats were I suggest he should be playing.

Having seen the lads at Brizzle on Tuesday and at home today, I think a slight change would improve effectiveness going forward:

Lomax in at Left Back

Livermore Left Wing

Taylor Right Wing

Jarrett rested...

:grin:

Tough call to decide which central midfielder would miss out but I totally agree with the crux of what you're saying. As good a win as yesterday's was, it has papered over an woeful narrowness (if that's a word!) to our play of late. You've got a right footer on the left and a central player on the right and inevitably they both have a tendancy to drift inside, which can be as much a problem in defence as it is in attack, just watch how many initially inocuous looking opposition attacks start with a simple pass to a guy in loads of space near the touchline.

Gillingham was a classic recent example of this. How many times in that game did Jarrett get a foot on he ball in space and look to both flanks to find there was nobody there, before eventually having to settle for going backwards to the full backs having already slowed the tempo of any attack by standing there looking around for so long. It was the defining feature of the match for me.

We played well in the last 20 minutes that day and by full time deserved the win but in all fairness at the time we went in front we didn't deserve to be. 0-0 would have been a fairer reflection at that stage because neither team looked good enough to score and it was only when they had to chase the game that we began to find space. Against a better side, or even against them on another day, I could quite easily have seen us struggling to break a team down at home yet again and ending up with a draw, or even yet another undeserved 1-0 defeat all because we couldn't turn our superiority into remotely threatening looking attacks. We're too often too one dimensional and too easy to defend against.

Brighton at home was another prime example. Against 10 men for that long you have to play with width and make the pitch big, but again we were terribly narrow and for all our superiority they looked comfortable and we scarcely looked threatening. Okay they didn't offer enough going forward to have deserved their equaliser but if you don't kill off a team that is there for the taking like that then a scrappy late goal is something you always run the risk of.

Don't get me wrong it hasn't all been bad, we were good yesterday (helped by the fact Yeovil played reasonably openly) and we were very good against Carlisle, great wins which I celebrated with ghusto and I'm certainly not one for getting on anybodys back (has it ever made anyone play better?) but I do think that those performances have glossed over a problem a little bit that will come back to haunt us if we still have designs on reaching the play offs.

It's not been a problem as often away from home where teams tend to play more openly against us and so space can sometimes be found without the need for as much width. But 6 of our remaining 8 home games are against sides currently placed below us (and we are only 10th) including 5 from the bottom half, 4 from the bottom 9 and 3 from the bottom 7. Several of these will have staying up in mind when we play them and will very probably set themselves up with being difficult to break down foremeost in their mind. You've got to counter that by making the pitch big and stretching the compactness of your opponents shape and I'm afraid I see us struggling to do that with the set up we're using at the moment. Nor can I see Shez changing it. I hope I'm wrong on at least one of those two counts.

I think it was clear to anyone who watches properly that Jarrett had an off day, but I certainly wouldn't drop him on the strength of one performance. His passing today was probably only around 40 % successful, but some of his tackling was excellent and he has already shown us what he is capable of.

So you surely couldn't drop a player after one off day?

can we not maybe just suggest that shez knows what hes doing,considering we just won 3 on the bounce at bp since who knows when.

and maybe if we wanted to mess about with a football team buy championship manager!!!

I meant with regards to Mark Allot being player of the season. I have always been an advocate of 'Shez knows better than us', which is partly shown by the signing of Mr Allot himself!

I thought Jarret had a good game, hes a massive presence in the centre of midfield and nobody can get the ball off him because hes so strong. Once he gets his fitness up he'll be immense.

livermore and taylor could be a handy partnership down the left hand side if livermore does more of the overlap kind of stuff and gets to the by-line.

i trust shez.

I thought Jarret had a good game, hes a massive presence in the centre of midfield and nobody can get the ball off him because hes so strong. Once he gets his fitness up he'll be immense.

livermore and taylor could be a handy partnership down the left hand side if livermore does more of the overlap kind of stuff and gets to the by-line.

i trust shez.

You must have watched a different game to me - Jarrett was woeful yesterday - his passing for 70% of the time he was on the pitch was abysmal - he constantly gave the ball away and only late on did he seem to catch up withthe game.

Anyone else believe that he is carrying a niggling injuryand that is what iseffecting his play?

love all these "I KNOW BETTER THAN SHEZ" opinionated types.

its as if he hasn't a clue about football to some!

would he come to you lot and tell you how to serve a big mac?

Hey Johnny - I think that you live in a sad world where no one is allowed an opinion or is allowed to even suggest an option for an alternative formation. No-one is claiming to know better than Shez merely posting a thought or two on a forum that is designed for exactly that purpose. You sad muppet.. :sign0003:

Hey Johnny - I think that you live in a sad world where no one is allowed an opinion or is allowed to even suggest an option for an alternative formation. No-one is claiming to know better than Shez merely posting a thought or two on a forum that is designed for exactly that purpose. You sad muppet.. :sign0003:

:bblue2:

so MY opinion isn't allowed either..oh...contradicting your own post there i see!

as for your insults..ouch!!! hurt..i'm so feckin hurt.

mnnna mnnna!

maybe you DO work in macdonalds and took it personal !!!!! :D

jog on.

The only change, if it is one, would be to keep Allott in the centre of midfield. Too many times this season Shez has effed around trying to accommodate too many central players, which usually results in Allott and Macca taking it in turns to play wide right.

Allott is at his best bang in the centre of the pitch, he's lost and wasted out wide. Macca is less suited to one certain position, being more of a 'roamer' and as we've seen lately, he can chip in with a few from the right as well.

And am I in a minority who thinks that Livermore is a solid left back? Can't recall him getting the run around on too many occasions since being here.

E4e

STICK

You must have watched a different game to me - Jarrett was woeful yesterday - his passing for 70% of the time he was on the pitch was abysmal - he constantly gave the ball away and only late on did he seem to catch up withthe game.

Anyone else believe that he is carrying a niggling injuryand that is what iseffecting his play?

He may have not had the best game but I still think his presence in the game was a positive one. Yes he lost balls but I think he makes our side more balanced and what he did do well, he did very well.

The only change, if it is one, would be to keep Allott in the centre of midfield. Too many times this season Shez has effed around trying to accommodate too many central players, which usually results in Allott and Macca taking it in turns to play wide right.

Allott is at his best bang in the centre of the pitch, he's lost and wasted out wide. Macca is less suited to one certain position, being more of a 'roamer' and as we've seen lately, he can chip in with a few from the right as well.

And am I in a minority who thinks that Livermore is a solid left back? Can't recall him getting the run around on too many occasions since being here.

E4e

STICK

I thought he had a good game and think hes done alright. No matter how good Lomax maybe he is still young and I like a bit of experience on the pitch, especially with so many youngsters playing. Also I don't think we could get someone on loan to play second fiddle to an 18 year old. Which would have left us severly short of cover if lomax got injured.

:bblue2:

so MY opinion isn't allowed either..oh...contradicting your own post there i see!

as for your insults..ouch!!! hurt..i'm so feckin hurt.

mnnna mnnna!

maybe you DO work in macdonalds and took it personal !!!!! :D

jog on.

HA! You thought you had me there for a minute Johnny - but you see I didn't say that you were not allowed an opinion just that your world must be a sad place if no-one was allowed an opinion. You see - in my world you are allowed an opinion - in fact the more the merrier.

So mnnna mnnna too!

I am jogging though a little out of breath.. :tongue1: