Warney for Oldham

Sign the guy on, he's another Eyres........massive engine, massive passion, massive heart and a massive love for the club!!!

Proud to have witnessed that today, shows that all's not bad in football and that we can extend a happy homecoming for a fukin legend!!!

never happen.shez doesnt rate him and pissed him about over a contract.he would walk over broken bottles to come here and play again,but it wont happen.

he could still do a job for us,and it was very pleasing that he got a standing ovation today,latics fans didnt really get a chance to say goodbye and thanks for his hard work n efforts.

Unfortunately there is no place for sentiment in football today,what we need more than ever is to sign on loan a championship striker until the end of the season.After saying that,I would have been more than happy for Warney to have been retained at the end of last season,would have been a more than adequate member of the squad.

Simply don't think he's good enough anymore .... missed a few opportunities at Yeovil and was more content in trying to knock Eards around today. Nice to see him today to get his belated farewell, time to move on.

i agree it was wrong to get rid of him at the end of last season as every team needs a hustler, but he wouldnt be the answer to what we need right now. personally i think hughes and alexandra would work well together, hughes is a poacher who is always in the right place, and alexandra seems to set goals up for fun. the sooner this lad gets a goal for his confidence the better. one for the future imo, just hopee he still gets pitch time once hughes is back.

hughes alexandra davies and warne would be a cracking squad to choose a forward line from, along with smalley as well (but only when played along side alexandra, they seem to click)

And therein lies the problem with many Latics fans, more prepared to give ex-employees a wonderful reception, whilst berating, booing and absolutely castigating a bunch of young kids trying their best and giving all for the cause. Warney yes, ran about a lot, scored a few goals, bit of an indian summer. Looked pisspoor when he came on, how many times did he touch the ball? If we put as much energy in supporting the boys that are actually at the club, then who knows what we can achieve?

The whingeing fukwits behind me have won, I've moved further along the stand and it was bliss yesterday, no one villifying Eards, or calling Taylor a tosser or whatever. Staying there for the rest of the season. More than a hint of satisfaction that Eards got an assist for Macca's goal!

Clueless!

KTF

And therein lies the problem with many Latics fans, more prepared to give ex-employees a wonderful reception, whilst berating, booing and absolutely castigating a bunch of young kids trying their best and giving all for the cause. Warney yes, ran about a lot, scored a few goals, bit of an indian summer. Looked pisspoor when he came on, how many times did he touch the ball? If we put as much energy in supporting the boys that are actually at the club, then who knows what we can achieve?

The whingeing fukwits behind me have won, I've moved further along the stand and it was bliss yesterday, no one villifying Eards, or calling Taylor a tosser or whatever. Staying there for the rest of the season. More than a hint of satisfaction that Eards got an assist for Macca's goal!

Clueless!

KTF

I must admit to having some sympathy with your argument here Prozac. I was more than happy to applaud Warney at the half time break when he did the draw, a fitting tribute to someone had worked hard for the club during his spell here and who I liked tremendously having seen him a several Boundary Blues do's where he was brilliant with the kids. A good and honest footballer and a very nice man. But i was a bit gobsmacked with the reception he got when he came on. I was the only one near me not stood up. Owusu was bemused as he thought the applause was for him! I did wonder what OUR players thought. one nil up under pressure and the home fans are going ballistic when one of the opposition comes on. I did think the timing of it was all wrong. I thought we were going to see a pitch invasion from the home crowd if he managed to equalise.

But I suppose whilst they were wetting themselves at that they weren't giving 'Bloody Hell Eardley' some grief.

Might have been mentioned before but 7 products of the youth system on the pitch at the end, now that is something to get excited about.

I must admit to having some sympathy with your argument here Prozac. I was more than happy to applaud Warney at the half time break when he did the draw, a fitting tribute to someone had worked hard for the club during his spell here and who I liked tremendously having seen him a several Boundary Blues do's where he was brilliant with the kids. A good and honest footballer and a very nice man. But i was a bit gobsmacked with the reception he got when he came on. I was the only one near me not stood up. Owusu was bemused as he thought the applause was for him! I did wonder what OUR players thought. one nil up under pressure and the home fans are going ballistic when one of the opposition comes on. I did think the timing of it was all wrong. I thought we were going to see a pitch invasion from the home crowd if he managed to equalise.

But I suppose whilst they were wetting themselves at that they weren't giving 'Bloody Hell Eardley' some grief.

Might have been mentioned before but 7 products of the youth system on the pitch at the end, now that is something to get excited about.

Can I just point out that the majority of people applauded Warney when he came on and only a minority (however irittating and stupid they are) boo and criticise the players. We clapped Warney because he is Oldham through and through, was hard working and played with his heart. A great role model to the youngsters and I hope his attitude may have rubbed off on some of our lads.

I did wonder what OUR players thought. one nil up under pressure and the home fans are going ballistic when one of the opposition comes on. I did think the timing of it was all wrong. I thought we were going to see a pitch invasion from the home crowd if he managed to equalise.

Perhaps it may show our players that hard work, determination and passion goes a long long way with fans and if they get right then the fans, or vast majority, will get behind them 100%.

E4e

LEDGE

Can I just point out that the majority of people applauded Warney when he came on and only a minority (however irittating and stupid they are) boo and criticise the players. We clapped Warney because he is Oldham through and through, was hard working and played with his heart. A great role model to the youngsters and I hope his attitude may have rubbed off on some of our lads.

Oldham through and through???? He was here for two years, not twenty. During both seasons he was here he went off the boil (along with his team mates) at the the business end of the season and the goals dried up. You don't notice a headless chicken when he's scoring regularly, when the goals stop flowing no amount of huff and puff can make up for it. A slightly better John Eyre imo. As for Oldham through and through see Stitch, Shez, Palmer, Bunn, Eyres, Andy Barlow etc.... as for terming the guy a legend, that's just laughable, proved by the fact that Warney has scored 1 goal in a year and prior to coming to BP went on a similar run at Rotherham. Davies can be a lazyarse but he's already scored more than Warne ever did in a full season. I'm grateful for Warney's service and the effort he put in and regardless of whether Shez reneged on a deal or not he made the right decision in releasing him. Up to Jan '07 he deserved a deal, from Feb 24th- end of May, he most certainly didn't. I clapped him at half-time, as I do with the vast majority of our former players that have put a shift in, but the term 'legend' is bandied about far too easily amongst our fan base.

Perhaps it may show our players that hard work, determination and passion goes a long long way with fans and if they get right then the fans, or vast majority, will get behind them 100%.

E4e

LEDGE

Whilst I agree Nik, I think Warney like John Eyre before him was overhyped. Effort is great to see especially in centre-mid but up-front more often than not a bit of nouse and guile goes a long way, as young Lewi proved yesterday.

Whilst I agree Nik, I think Warney like John Eyre before him was overhyped. Effort is great to see especially in centre-mid but up-front more often than not a bit of nouse and guile goes a long way, as young Lewi proved yesterday.

Agree Prozac.

Hopefully Lewis keeps progressing like he is and if he does he'll, hopefully, make us a few quid. He's a very clever front man and I like him a lot. We've not had anyone like him for a while and it makes a change to see a kid come through who actually looks like he may be able to hold his own at this level.

Warney on the other hand isn't, never was, and never will be like that. He came here more as utility player/back up front man to the likes of Porter and Beckett but with their injury problems the majority of the time he was a main front man and he did the job excellently, never giving defenders any peace, and hitting double figures in both seasons.

Johnny John...I haven't enough time... :wink:

E4e

JEANS

Simply don't think he's good enough anymore .... missed a few opportunities at Yeovil and was more content in trying to knock Eards around today. Nice to see him today to get his belated farewell, time to move on.

Agree too old probably playing in league 2 or bottom end of league 1 just right from Shez football teams are always moving its just one of these things.

Agree Prozac.

Hopefully Lewis keeps progressing like he is and if he does he'll, hopefully, make us a few quid. He's a very clever front man and I like him a lot. We've not had anyone like him for a while and it makes a change to see a kid come through who actually looks like he may be able to hold his own at this level.

Warney on the other hand isn't, never was, and never will be like that. He came here more as utility player/back up front man to the likes of Porter and Beckett but with their injury problems the majority of the time he was a main front man and he did the job excellently, never giving defenders any peace, and hitting double figures in both seasons.

Johnny John...I haven't enough time... :wink:

E4e

JEANS

If I was forced to choose one from Warne, Alice-Sandra or Davies, I would pick Davies everytime.

I like Warney but we all seem to be forgetting how knackered he looked over the last ten games of last season. He wasn't the only one but appeared to suffer more than most. I remember commenting to a mate how the season appeared to be about six games too long for us last year.

Oldham through and through???? He was here for two years, not twenty. During both seasons he was here he went off the boil (along with his team mates) at the the business end of the season and the goals dried up. You don't notice a headless chicken when he's scoring regularly, when the goals stop flowing no amount of huff and puff can make up for it. A slightly better John Eyre imo. As for Oldham through and through see Stitch, Shez, Palmer, Bunn, Eyres, Andy Barlow etc.... as for terming the guy a legend, that's just laughable, proved by the fact that Warney has scored 1 goal in a year and prior to coming to BP went on a similar run at Rotherham. Davies can be a lazyarse but he's already scored more than Warne ever did in a full season. I'm grateful for Warney's service and the effort he put in and regardless of whether Shez reneged on a deal or not he made the right decision in releasing him. Up to Jan '07 he deserved a deal, from Feb 24th- end of May, he most certainly didn't. I clapped him at half-time, as I do with the vast majority of our former players that have put a shift in, but the term 'legend' is bandied about far too easily amongst our fan base.

What he lacked in talent he more than made up for in sheer effort and anyone who does that playing for the Tics in my eyes IS a legend. He terrorised defences - not with his heading ability, his pace but his sheer bloody minded effort to close down EVERY ball forward - WARNEEEE WARNEEE!!!

I posted something very similar in early January

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ntry82910"" target="_blank">youth benefits

(hope the linky thing works!) If not i'm sure admin might help me out!

And i'd definately rather discuss these guys - the "future" of our club, :chubb: rather than an over appreciated average journeyman - who has built up his own backing group at BP - Paul Warne and the latics' Warnettes!!