The Mark Crossley Appreciation Thread

When does his contract expire? I know he takes on a coaching role but when does his playing contract finish?

Bar a few mistakes which a bunch of boo boys blew out of proportion (show me a keeper at this level who hasn't made a mistake all season) Crossley has been pretty solid for us I think and I hope he's still playing next season and we don't look to replace him. I'd say Pogs is definitely going, he's probably not too happy playing second fiddle at this stage of his career and the injuries seem to be taking their tole on him and he's quite unreliable with his injuries best for both him and the club for him to leave although if we could count on his fitness and he was willing to stay I'd be overjoyed to keep him. We should try and get another keeper but I think the number 1 shirt is still Crossley's. Great save today as well when their striker ran through one on one.

Just my two cents.

Also we never know when we'll need him to do this for us! -

When does his contract expire? I know he takes on a coaching role but when does his playing contract finish?

Bar a few mistakes which a bunch of boo boys blew out of proportion (show me a keeper at this level who hasn't made a mistake all season) Crossley has been pretty solid for us I think and I hope he's still playing next season and we don't look to replace him. I'd say Pogs is definitely going, he's probably not too happy playing second fiddle at this stage of his career and the injuries seem to be taking their tole on him and he's quite unreliable with his injuries best for both him and the club for him to leave although if we could count on his fitness and he was willing to stay I'd be overjoyed to keep him. We should try and get another keeper but I think the number 1 shirt is still Crossley's. Great save today as well when their striker ran through one on one.

Just my two cents.

Also we never know when we'll need him to do this for us! -

So what you're saying is..........get the fat sod up front then instead of between the sticks!!!

I'm a big fan of Crossley. Far better all round keeper than the critics give him credit for, and had pulled off some top class saves for us this season. Definitely saved us more goals and points than he's cost us.

Have to admit though - he did look a bit like Babe Ruth with that baseball cap on second half... :grin:

Crossley's been outstanding since his return from injury. He's made some incredible saves and his experience has been essential in us seeing out narrow wins (the win at Everton in particular).

If it wasn't for Allott, who will surely run away with the award, I'd be saying he should be a contender for player of the season.

Guest oa_exile
I'm a big fan of Crossley. Far better all round keeper than the critics give him credit for, and had pulled off some top class saves for us this season. Definitely saved us more goals and points than he's cost us.

Have to admit though - he did look a bit like Babe Ruth with that baseball cap on second half... :grin:

I dont know about that Garcon , he was pretty gash at the beginning of the season , suffering from "White line fever".

In fairness to the guy he has settled down now and hats off as pulled off some super saves.

I have more confidence in him now , at the beginning i must say :shock:

I dont know about that Garcon , he was pretty gash at the beginning of the season , suffering from "White line fever".

In fairness to the guy he has settled down now and hats off as pulled off some super saves.

I have more confidence in him now , at the beginning i must say :shock:

Pogs was rubbish at 1 on 1s and coming for crosses.

It's also fair to say that our defensive record this season has been very good. That's not just down to the centre backs etc, it's also down to Crossley and the way he marshalls, cajoles and talks to the back four. Good, solid (??!) goalkeeper with plenty of experience and brings the best out in our defenders.

so you're saying that he comes off his line now - cos its pretty clear that he's a shot stopper and that's about it. i for one would defo like to see someone else in net, someone who has some agility (which goalkeeping is all about) and someone who actually commands the area, coming for crosses and giving the centre backs some confidence that if they fail to win a header in the box, that the keeper is actually there. I actually think that our decent defensive record is more to do with the centre pairing, whether that be hazell, stam or previously trotman, all of which are good in the air and can cope with balls pumped into the box.

i know this is the "mark crossley appreciation thread"....but I unfortunately can't share the same opinion as the previous thread posters. :disappointed:

Edited by dish

There's only three sides with a better defensive record than us, and that's largely down to Norm. I'm still flabbergasted by people who say they want a new 'keeper in - if it ain't broke don't fix it. The reason we're only 10th is because we can't bloody score, not because we're shipping too many.

so you're saying that he comes off his line now - cos its pretty clear that he's a shot stopper and that's about it. i for one would defo like to see someone else in net, someone who has some agility (which goalkeeping is all about) and someone who actually commands the area, coming for crosses and giving the centre backs some confidence that if they fail to win a header in the box, that the keeper is actually there. I actually think that our decent defensive record is more to do with the centre pairing, whether that be hazell, stam or previously trotman, all of which are good in the air and can cope with balls pumped into the box.

i know this is the "mark crossley appreciation thread"....but I unfortunately can't share the same opinion as the previous thread posters. :disappointed:

If we got the sort of keeper you describe, we would soon lose him to a premiership team because the attributes you describe just aren't around in league 1 and I am struggling to think of too many in the championship.

When Pogs was at his best in the Dowie season and kept that record number of clean sheets he regularly came for crosses and commanded his box etc. However even his odd mistake that season was met with derision from some of our "supporters." Pogs unfortunately is a confidence person and when his confidence went so did his game and that was why he was and still is a league 1 keeper.

Whilst I was unsure about Crossley earlier in the season, since he has come back from his injury he has proved to be a very good acquisition and over the last few weeks has been exceptionally consistent (the goal against Gillingham excepted.)

At the moment I cant think of too many keepers in league 1 that I would say "I would have him in goal instead." I certainly hope we get at least another season out of him.

As for your comment about him being a shot stopper and thats it, I think you maybe somewhat blinkered. He is clearly an excellent organiser and motivator of the players in front of him. The back 5 play as a unit and he is clearly a big part of that. You dont have as good a defensive record as we have this season without all the defence including your keeper playing to a high standard.

I would prefer someone better in nets. I think would settle for say Van Der Sar or Alumnia. The fact is Crossley is doing great in nets considering we got him for free. The only way we could get better is to fork out I would think as there isn't a glut of keepers about. If we do compare him to Poggs, have a look at some of the goals we conceded last year and you will see he conceded a lot from buggering up crosses. More so than Crossley. He also let in quite a few goals inside his near post which Crossley hasn't done much of either. One thing that Crossley has over any keeper in this division is experience which I think has made up at times for his lack of agility.

I would prefer someone better in nets. I think would settle for say Van Der Sar or Alumnia. The fact is Crossley is doing great in nets considering we got him for free. The only way we could get better is to fork out I would think as there isn't a glut of keepers about. If we do compare him to Poggs, have a look at some of the goals we conceded last year and you will see he conceded a lot from buggering up crosses. More so than Crossley. He also let in quite a few goals inside his near post which Crossley hasn't done much of either. One thing that Crossley has over any keeper in this division is experience which I think has made up at times for his lack of agility.

was only about five mins after his save that some numpty behind me was calling him a useless donkey!!!.you could understand it if he had not saved the equaliser but it just isnt warrented.

with pogs needing an op and probably played his last game for us a new keeper for next season is as much a priority as a new striker is needed.

hope crossley stays as a out n out coach for us,good bloke to have around and you cant just get the experience he has from anywhere.

At the risk of repeating myself I think Norm decieves cos sometimes a cross is crying out to be claimed to which he doesn't, yet he covers his angles very well. This is Norms strength and why his record stands up there this season. Since his return from injury he's saved far more points for Latics than he's lost which for me means a success.

I really like how Crossley marshalls the back four - and his distribution and vision to make a quick throw or a kick to a winger is the part of his game I enjoy most - turns defence into attack so quickly :)

Something I've always wanted to see a Latics 'keeper do is make quick throws to the full back/winger rather than hopeful punts to the strikers, and now we have that! Joy of joys :)

Keep the Faith

I really like how Crossley marshalls the back four - and his distribution and vision to make a quick throw or a kick to a winger is the part of his game I enjoy most - turns defence into attack so quickly :)

Something I've always wanted to see a Latics 'keeper do is make quick throws to the full back/winger rather than hopeful punts to the strikers, and now we have that! Joy of joys :)

Keep the Faith

I agree.Norm seems far more aware and able to release the ball for Taylor or Davies to run on to and counter-attack.Lee Grant was also excellent at that too.

Just a thought about a new keeper for next season,if Norm isnt still playing for us.Scott Flinders of Palace looks like he`s on his way out at the end of this season and would be a good signing IMO.I know he didnt have a brilliant game for the carrott crunchers today but a promising and very good young keeper.

I would be happy to stick with Crossley for another season but we would need to get the backup sorted. He is likely to have injury problems over the course of a season and we need a backup who the club are happy to go with, rather than looking for loans as they don’t think the kids are ready or good enough. It’s a long-running gripe of mine, I don’t see the point of having a goalkeeping coach if there aren’t kids on the fringe of the team for him to work with.

• 6 months later...

Since Crossley has got over the injuries he had last season i feel he has proved he is the best full time keeper that has been at BP since Gary Kelly. He had his critics last year but to be honest looking back compared to the Norm turning up now it is obivous that he wasn't even playing at 75% for the majority of last year

The only one that I believe who was probably better was Lee Grant.

There's my two penneth