Chris Taylor

its about opinions, but I must be watching different games thn those who want Taylor dropped (and those who slate Eardly and Davies)...he gives his all every game, sometimes more effectively than others admitted. Warne, who I like by the way, also gave his all, but was generally less effective than Taylor, yet is hailed as a legend

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that the fact that he is often double marked shows that the opposition don't think he is too badly out of position. They need two men precisely because he does threaten the full back on either side. If he was on the right I think they would be pretty happy to show him the inside as I don't think he would get many shots away on his left. In any case opposition managers must be seeing something in him that some of our fans don't.

I will be honest LL, I think the fact that he is often double marked is his own fault.

When we are attacking the RR end I have the displeasure of having to watch him play right in front of me (as you do I know). The number of times he is standing around rocking back on his heels when he should really be bombing on to the shoulder of the last defender is infuriating. He often could be a good twenty yards further forwards either expoliting the space or dragging the full back out of a tightly packed defence. Mostly though he seems to hang around feigning indifference to his bootlaces until our leftback gets within 10 yards of him and then he has the right oppo midfielder doubling up on him with the full back. For me that is idiotic from the lad and it riles me so much. His tactical awareness is probably a very small iota over zero.

I can't agree with SW either other than the fact that he does have options. His extremely one dimensional play means he does the same thing every time anyway. He rarely goes outside a man, he certainly can't cross a ball and to be honest, other than a few months in his debut season I think he is just another in a long line of kids that looked like they may have the ability but ultimately are destined for failure.

I think he brings very little to the team nowadays and as for comments that he could play centre mid that I have read on here before - an utterly preposterous idea - have you ever seen the lad try and tackle?????? Sideways on and a fairy toepoke toward the ball.

He is rubbish get rid of him. To anyone. Please.

KtF,

Derek.

edit: spelling

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

My opinion (for what its worth) is...

Taylor started a little too well for latics, he hit the ground running as an unknown quanity and was hailed as something he isn't. It helped the fans that he was/is a latics fan and people loved him for it. He switched wings and stil continued the form. Now his form has dipped (it has for a while to be fair), but thats cos he's on the wrong wing. He needs to be played on the right. Sheridan missed a trick in the summer. When Edwards left - he should have been replaced.

Taylor is a young kid who has a lot of talent. Not saying he will set the world alight, but he has the potential to set league one alight. Ok, he runs around a bit aimlessly at times, but he is one o the few players in the division who when he runs at at a player, he excites the fans. Get off his back and give hiim a chance. Now davies has scored - we must have someone else to pick on mustn't we.

My opinion (for what its worth) is...

Taylor started a little too well for latics, he hit the ground running as an unknown quanity and was hailed as something he isn't. It helped the fans that he was/is a latics fan and people loved him for it. He switched wings and stil continued the form. Now his form has dipped (it has for a while to be fair), but thats cos he's on the wrong wing. He needs to be played on the right. Sheridan missed a trick in the summer. When Edwards left - he should have been replaced.

Taylor is a young kid who has a lot of talent. Not saying he will set the world alight, but he has the potential to set league one alight. Ok, he runs around a bit aimlessly at times, but he is one o the few players in the division who when he runs at at a player, he excites the fans. Get off his back and give hiim a chance. Now davies has scored - we must have someone else to pick on mustn't we.

For me it is nothing to do about picking on someone.

It is just about the fact that I think he is a really awful footballer - I really can't see any attribute in his game that should make him so adored by the fans other than the fact that he grew up on the terraces of BP. I think there are so many blinded by that fact that they feel a need to defend shocking performance after shocking performance.

He is gash IMO. If all we need to be adored and get a first team starting spot is a love for the club, well Shez may as well do a bloody 'fans that can play' raffle for the first eleven shirts.

Get rid.

KtF,

Derek.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

The thought of him being a "big time charlie" allows me to recollect to you a meeting a few of us had at Brighton last season. Futchers Breifs was with us on big Kindos stag do. It was past 3 am - really, we were on the front at Brighton - the straight side I mite add. We had inadvertantly upset a couple of Idiotically violent Cockney idiots and were having a good laugh winding them up, things however were getting a little out of hand calling ma a northern c*** I dont really have a problem with but to call me a Peter Kay Bolton B****** you could see were it was all going....... I f you are going to insult me at least get the town right. Then completly out of Blue the ginger prince arrives with his girlfriend he had his latics tracksuit top on inside out to try and be annonimous they were a great laugh totallt down to earth and saved us from a roll along brighton prom.

Get real he is week in week out one of our hardest workers and goal threat.

For me it is nothing to do about picking on someone.

It is just about the fact that I think he is a really awful footballer - I really can't see any attribute in his game that should make him so adored by the fans other than the fact that he grew up on the terraces of BP. I think there are so many blinded by that fact that they feel a need to defend shocking performance after shocking performance.

He is gash IMO. If all we need to be adored and get a first team starting spot is a love for the club, well Shez may as well do a bloody 'fans that can play' raffle for the first eleven shirts.

Get rid.

KtF,

Derek.

Its got nowt to do with that why I think he's a decent player. He is much better than you give him credit for. I know fans who support Blackpool and Huddersfield. They are always asking me about him. They were impressed. I'm not saying that makes him a world beater. I'm just saying he has been noticed.

Atributes.

Quick

Takes players on.

He does beat people

Puts a decent cross in (with his right foot, one in about 15 are good with his left, so why play him on the left?!)

Works hard

I'm not saying he is a the savior and I've often said he is over rated. Just not "a really awful footballer" - but its about opinions.

Its got nowt to do with that why I think he's a decent player. He is much better than you give him credit for. I know fans who support Blackpool and Huddersfield. They are always asking me about him. They were impressed. I'm not saying that makes him a world beater. I'm just saying he has been noticed.

Atributes.

Quick

Takes players on.

He does beat people

Puts a decent cross in (with his right foot, one in about 15 are good with his left, so why play him on the left?!)

Works hard

I'm not saying he is a the savior and I've often said he is over rated. Just not "a really awful footballer" - but its about opinions.

Certainly is all about opinions, and I can't agree with any of yours about him.

Mine though, is that much like Chris Hall, if he wants a future in the game he better start swatting up on what footy DVDs they have in at HMV.

"Salesman! Do you have a DVD on Latics about when Chris Taylor looked good?

Errr, Notts Forest at home 2 years ago I think."

He is rubbish!!!!!!!!

KtF,

Derek.

When we are attacking the RR end I have the displeasure of having to watch him play right in front of me (as you do I know). The number of times he is standing around rocking back on his heels when he should really be bombing on to the shoulder of the last defender is infuriating. He often could be a good twenty yards further forwards either expoliting the space or dragging the full back out of a tightly packed defence. Mostly though he seems to hang around feigning indifference to his bootlaces until our leftback gets within 10 yards of him and then he has the right oppo midfielder doubling up on him with the full back. For me that is idiotic from the lad and it riles me so much. His tactical awareness is probably a very small iota over zero.

edit: spelling

There is a lot of truth in that. As for the rest of this Taylor bashing, crazy.

What a load of rubbish. On saturday I watched him when we attacked from their corner. He was the closest player to the attackers to bomb on and get forward and help and he sauntered up the pitch. Meanwhile an unfit Jason Jarrett was bombing forward doing what Taylor should have been. Hes a one trick pony and doesnt produce enough for me. Needs telling hes not the best player in the world cos he thinks he is

I really hate some Oldham fans. You are a tool mate. If you have nothing positive to say......do one.

And replace him with?

For the wages Taylor's on there's not too many better wingers out there.

Personally I would give anyone but CT a go, maybe other than Crossley because he may be a bit past it and we don't have another GK atm.

I take it you know the ins and outs of Taylors contract to come up with such a statement?

Who knows what money the lad is on? Personally I would prefer to judge him on ability and what he brings to the plate as one of the starting eleven. Unless of course we need to go down the 'Let's all get on Killens back' road again. He earnt a shed load and perhaps didn't deliver for what he was paid at times (we only know this from some dummy spitting from our owners - but to perceive that Taylor may or may not be paid tuppence ha'penny a week is only conjecture).

This of course is an individual thing for the fans to think for themselves.

I wouldn't pay him in washers, but I think people already know that from my comments.

CT-WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

Derek your an idiot - I dont say that lightly and I dont usually slag others off - but lets be honest u obviously want to get a rise out of people on this matter for you own sad reasons. Technology has a lot to answer for sometimes when it gives a voice to the clinically insane :tongue1:

Funny ;listening to shez telling Taylor to stand still, if you watch him on dead balls or throw ins being took no where near him he drifts! Shez told him at least 3 times to stand still and if he would of listened the ball would of been right at his feet instead of running bakc ten yards from where he drifted.Comedy! :grin:

Think these past couple of games barring B rovers hes been good.

How anybody can call him lazy is beyond me.

YOungen said hes getting lazier than davies WAS dont you mean IS, worst on the pitch on saturday , greedy ,cant stay on his feet, needs to sort his shorts out and stop trying to look good whle playing. Big time charlie he is!!!

And for the comment below Carlisle at home Best player on the pitch second half and a good doo in the first.

Anytime he comes on as sub looks dangerous instead of just seeing the game out.

GEts the crowd on their feet when he gest the ball and hes one on one with a full back.

DA DA Da da oooooo Ginger Winger!!!

KTF

Certainly is all about opinions, and I can't agree with any of yours about him.

Mine though, is that much like Chris Hall, if he wants a future in the game he better start swatting up on what footy DVDs they have in at HMV.

"Salesman! Do you have a DVD on Latics about when Chris Taylor looked good?

Errr, Notts Forest at home 2 years ago I think."

He is rubbish!!!!!!!!

KtF,

Derek.

Derek your an idiot - I dont say that lightly and I dont usually slag others off - but lets be honest u obviously want to get a rise out of people on this matter for you own sad reasons. Technology has a lot to answer for sometimes when it gives a voice to the clinically insane :tongue1:

Actually, there are probably many that will agree with you, but hey ho, I really don't give a monkeys to be honest. Having said that I do know the difference between your and you're.

As for me trying to get a rise out of people on a messageboard because of what I think about CT; well nothing could be further from the truth. I really and most genuinely think he is a shocking player. Apologies for hurting what seem to be your most delicate sensibilities. Many on here who know me personally will tell you that has been my opinion of CT for quite some time.

CT-WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

I think to genuinely get an honest opinion on a player you only need to speak to the opposition fans and I have spoken to 3 different sets this season and they all think the ginger one is our most dangerous player

..and that will leave 20 other sets of fans and ourselves to consider the merits of CT then I take it?

Take Latics out of it and would I be correct in thinking that statistically twenty other teams think he is crap or at best plain ordinary?

Numbers are great, you can make 'em work any way you want.

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

..and that will leave 20 other sets of fans and ourselves to consider the merits of CT then I take it?

Take Latics out of it and would I be correct in thinking that statistically twenty other teams think he is crap or at best plain ordinary?

Numbers are great, you can make 'em work any way you want.

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

you really do talk :censored: derek havent spoke to the other 20 teams fans obviously but i know a lot of people who think taylor is our best player if you dont like chris taylor then :censored: and dont talk about it because obviously you are right

I've said it before and I'll say it again there is an over reliance on Taylor and it was evident last season. In his first season under Moore he was a kid given a shot through squad injuries, he looked good and there was a sparkle about him although he wasn't a complete player. Last season he started immensely, beating men full of beans but as the season dragged on he got tired but with the lack of depth in our squad there was no rest for him, this was a case of other players such as Liddell and Warne, we had no cover so the team ran out of steam. I think Taylor has done cracking to say at his young age he's been told that he's the first choice right sided midfielder but people expect miracles from him and I know the skinning of players is becoming less frequent and I have noticed him shy out of a few tackles, but during a match he will leave the defender for dead and get into the area with the ball and if that chance is converted then he's done his job. I would like the squad to have more depth so that we could rest him, I think he'd perform a lot better if he wasn't playing every match or if we could bring him on in the last 20 minutes of some matches. But considering the squad we've got and the lack of depth he's done terrific, lay off him. He's a good player, he's still young and and last seasons he still should have been weaned into the game rather than being the first choice left sided midfielder.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

If we had an attacking threat down the right or an alternative to Chris down the left (and move him to the right) I think Chris would be more effective as the opposition would have more to worry about than just him, plus this would also stop our forwards from drifting wide and mean defenders having to cover more in the middle.

Not many players play in pretty much all of the 50 odd games we play in a season, of those not many can perform in each and every game and even less perform in 30 or so of those. For me Taylor has performed in more games than he hasn't and for a kid at this level you can't ask for more than that. Granted his starting position is wrong more often than not but is this his fault? Shez can see it as well as we can as he will be level with Chris when he does his sideways shuffle to the halfway line to recieve the ball, if he hasn't said anything to him by now it makes me wonder whether he or Tommy is telling him to drop deep?

He will be compared to Eyres, Holden and Wright in the line of Latics wingers which are hard acts to follow, these players all have the advantage of being left footed and enjoyed a decent full back behind them who would either overlap or enable them to give and go, or for Taylor to get to the byline then knock it back to the full back for them to cross, Taylor has only briefly had this with Bertrand.

He needs more support both on and off the pitch, a decent full back behind him, a man on the other wing providing a threat and a lifting of the need for him to be our dangerman would work wonders.

Failing that what he really needs is for more of the crowd to scream at him at each and every mistake, every time his starting position is wrong if the whole of the Lookers or the main stand to a man, start busting blood vessels in their neck raging at him to move 20 yards further up the pitch or whenever he starts to shape to cut inside if we all pull our hair out and shout "get to the effing line you useless piece of shi." that would help. If the paddocks join in too we will start to see results before the end of the season.

If the above doesn't work and if Lewis doesn't bag in the next 3 games I can't see him ever scoring and we should get rid as he will clearly never make it at our level and should be shipped out or would could perhaps try giving him the same helpful suggestions we give Taylor.

Let's just put things into perspective. We are a third tier English League club, one of the poorest in our division. We have to rely on local youngsters and free transfer or loans. At the club at the moment we have a young local lad (not that it matters where he is from) who wears the blue of Oldham with pride and anyone who cannot see that is blind. He is a right footed player told to do a job on the left hand side which he does without complain (although silently he must be getting frustrated!) When he gets the ball he automatically sends the opposition right back (and most of the time right midfielder) on the back foot. He has pace and skill but yes at the moment is being blunted somewhat by the opposition (as most talented wingers who are double marked are). The lad clearly loves playing for us, it has been his dream as a young lad and is living the dream. He isnt shy at getting stuck in either which is a rarity in wingers. I for one am off my seat every time when he goes forward and there aint been too many players that have done that in the past. Please for christ's sake Taylor knockers get off his back and get behind him - he plays for your team and contrary to some beliefs IS a team player and would sweat blood for the cause. If Shezza nurtures him right he may become one of the Owdum greats but not if he is continually slagged off by whinging idiots!

all players have there ups and downs - for me taylor running at defenders is his strength but maybe his crossing is a weakness - the problem is the fans around the ground that give our OWN players stick - how can anyone work well with people on their back ?? i know most of us at work cant work properly if theres people on our backs! we are supporters of Oldham Athletic - so act like it!