Chris Taylor

Looking at this from a different perspective I do believe that whether Taylor plays on the right or left doesn't matter, and in many ways the longer he plays on the left - the better, two-footed player we could end up with. The real key to getting the best from him is by creating another real attacking threat from the right-side of the team. For as decent a player Macca is, he isn't a right-sided midfielder...his style is much more suited to a central-mids, ala lampard. Tayls at the moment suffers because as a team we present a clear (sometimes one-dimensional) threat which many teams coming to boudary park now know...and immediately drop 2 men onto him.

However the team is organised, Shez knows best - he works with these guys everyday. Perhaps we just don't have the real option at the moment with lidds out.

Stick with Talyor and create a different focal point for attacks in the team and we could start to see a bit less pressure on him and appreciate the qualities he has.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor has only briefly had this with Bertrand.

He needs more support both on and off the pitch, a decent full back behind him, a man on the other wing providing a threat and a lifting of the need for him to be our dangerman would work wonders.

He had Charlton last season too and looked a lot more settled. In a similar way as you say another winger on the other side would help him out but also Eardley who has no genuine winger in front of him.

He should push on to the full backs shoulder though :wink:

Derek your an idiot - I dont say that lightly and I dont usually slag others off - but lets be honest u obviously want to get a rise out of people on this matter for you own sad reasons. Technology has a lot to answer for sometimes when it gives a voice to the clinically insane :tongue1:

Thats a bit rich you saying he wants to get a rise out of somebody, calling him an idiot surely brands you in the same category. I am in agreeance with Derek. Although I dont think he is gash, I think a spell on the bench or in the reserves may make him buck his ideas up and start playing to his potential. I dont know how you can say he can cross a ball because if he actually manages to lift the ball off the floor, there is no whip and is literally floated in. He couldnt make it fly so slow if he used a flyaway. A cross like that is useless to attacking strikers as 9 times out of 10 a defender is in front of the striker and can easily mop it up. He should take lessons off lewis allessandra of how to cross it hes only made one cross this year and its better than any Taylor has made. Dont get me wrong I dont think selling him is a good idea but maybe a loan spell at Rochdale or Stockport may do him some good. Worked wonders for Lomax.

Thats a bit rich you saying he wants to get a rise out of somebody, calling him an idiot surely brands you in the same category. I am in agreeance with Derek. Although I dont think he is gash, I think a spell on the bench or in the reserves may make him buck his ideas up and start playing to his potential. I dont know how you can say he can cross a ball because if he actually manages to lift the ball off the floor, there is no whip and is literally floated in. He couldnt make it fly so slow if he used a flyaway. A cross like that is useless to attacking strikers as 9 times out of 10 a defender is in front of the striker and can easily mop it up. He should take lessons off lewis allessandra of how to cross it hes only made one cross this year and its better than any Taylor has made. Dont get me wrong I dont think selling him is a good idea but maybe a loan spell at Rochdale or Stockport may do him some good. Worked wonders for Lomax.

taylor set up at few goals this season with crosses. so to say to take lessons off allessandra is a bit stupid! he didnt even find his own man. :grin:

when do we drop him by the way, a stiker that doesnt score, ridiculous.

sorry is that next week. got my dates wrong davies one week, eardley the next, crossley every other taylor this week and lewis the week after.i cant keep track of who we are trying to hound out of the club from one week to ther next.

young Blacks been on the bench for a few weeks now, he hasnt kicked a ball but im sure if we start now we can destroy his confidence before we even give him a chance.

Can admin please post a calander with dates and players so i can keep track of who we are slagging and when. :wink:

Personally I would give anyone but CT a go, maybe other than Crossley because he may be a bit past it and we don't have another GK atm.

I take it you know the ins and outs of Taylors contract to come up with such a statement?

Who knows what money the lad is on? Personally I would prefer to judge him on ability and what he brings to the plate as one of the starting eleven. Unless of course we need to go down the 'Let's all get on Killens back' road again. He earnt a shed load and perhaps didn't deliver for what he was paid at times (we only know this from some dummy spitting from our owners - but to perceive that Taylor may or may not be paid tuppence ha'penny a week is only conjecture).

This of course is an individual thing for the fans to think for themselves.

I wouldn't pay him in washers, but I think people already know that from my comments.

CT-WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

He's on £861.53 a week with an appearance bonus of two pukka pies a game. :rolleyes:

Of course I don't know exactly how much he's on, but he has come through the youth set up so he's certainly not going to be on the same wage as the older 1st team players that we have bought from other clubs. I'd doubt that he's on a grand a week or more.

You say that you'd prefer to judge him on ability rather than wage? OK, I know, we should sign Ronaldo! He's got far more ability than Chrissy T so...oh wait, he's on about 100 times more a week than Taylor, darn it. Ability comes first over money but money is a big factor and needs to be taken into account. If there is a better left winger on approx. the same wage as Taylor or someone we can afford then I would be willing to give them a chance.

Finally, you say you'd replace Taylor with anyone? If you want a reasoned debate then that's the type of thing to be more specific about. If you want to be stubborn about your point of view then why reply to any other post?

He had Charlton last season too and looked a lot more settled. In a similar way as you say another winger on the other side would help him out but also Eardley who has no genuine winger in front of him.

Eardley's game is being crucified by having no one in front of him.

I can't agree with getting rid of Taylor, but he has gone to starting from the wrong place, a bit headless chicken with no end result. But to me this is all due to the 'being on the wrong side of the pitch' argument. He's starting too deep because he wants to play on his right foot. He can play the ball forward and with his right foot from a deeper position. The direction of his runs are all because he doesn't want to cross with his left foot. The crosses being crap are because he's not left footed.

Eardley's game is being crucified by having no one in front of him.

Exactly. He is being asked to play wing-back in a 442 (occassionally 433) formation.

Just for good measure, he's got the armband as well.

Oh and he's just turned 20 and is a full International and one of our longer serving players. I can't believe that he gets so much stick.

Well done Derk, lots of bites. Never realised Taylorbait would work so well.

Anyway, I don't think he's half as bad as what Wilson makes out, and I certainly wouldn't shove anyone there. Like mighty_bosh has said, he's in his first pro contract so his wages, in the general scheme of things will be fairly low I'd have thought. If you want a bone fide natural left sided player who's also a few notches above Taylor's ability then it comes with a premium. I'd bet Livermore's salary is comfortably higher than CT's, even on CT's proposed next contract.

So, he's the cheap option. So let's discuss the merits and downfalls of having this 'cheap option'.

Without a doubt he's now without his flaws. Football brain and vision isn't the best, hence why he runs down too many dead end streets and fails to find a player. Self-confidence is fragile to say the least, which explains him not being confident in going outside the man more and why he tackles like a complete fairy. First touch also needs to be much better - suffers from pinball foot all too often. But, he's a roamer, and tremendously difficult to mark, and he's also starting to find those dangerous positions more often than he used to explaining his goal output ratio rising.

I feel a bit sorry for Taylor in all honesty. Sheridan has put faith on him in the summer to continue on the left when I'm sure being in his natural position, on the right, would help his self-confidence issue so much. And he'd be much more confident going outside the full back rather than inside all the time and into other players. This is a big issue because a confident Chris Taylor (and we've all seen him when his tail is up) is pretty good at this level.

As for shipping him straight off to Blackers, well, I'd agree. But only if they were willing to part with half a mill.

Exactly. He is being asked to play wing-back in a 442 (occassionally 433) formation.

Just for good measure, he's got the armband as well.

Oh and he's just turned 20 and is a full International and one of our longer serving players. I can't believe that he gets so much stick.

Same here. Get a winger in front of him be it Lidds or whoever and see how much confidence it gives him. I'd say maybe a new right winger next season but who knows if Eardley will still even be here then <_<

Anyway, I don't think he's half as bad as what Wilson makes out, and I certainly wouldn't shove anyone there. Like mighty_bosh has said, he's in his first pro contract so his wages, in the general scheme of things will be fairly low I'd have thought. If you want a bone fide natural left sided player who's also a few notches above Taylor's ability then it comes with a premium. I'd bet Livermore's salary is comfortably higher than CT's, even on CT's proposed next contract.

So, he's the cheap option. So let's discuss the merits and downfalls of having this 'cheap option'.

Without a doubt he's now without his flaws. Football brain and vision isn't the best, hence why he runs down too many dead end streets and fails to find a player. Self-confidence is fragile to say the least, which explains him not being confident in going outside the man more and why he tackles like a complete fairy. First touch also needs to be much better - suffers from pinball foot all too often. But, he's a roamer, and tremendously difficult to mark, and he's also starting to find those dangerous positions more often than he used to explaining his goal output ratio rising.

I feel a bit sorry for Taylor in all honesty. Sheridan has put faith on him in the summer to continue on the left when I'm sure being in his natural position, on the right, would help his self-confidence issue so much. And he'd be much more confident going outside the full back rather than inside all the time and into other players. This is a big issue because a confident Chris Taylor (and we've all seen him when his tail is up) is pretty good at this level.

As for shipping him straight off to Blackers, well, I'd agree. But only if they were willing to part with half a mill.

Couldn't have put it much better myself!

Hooray. Someone with a realistic memory.

When taylor has the support of a full back who is prepared to overlap him he becomes a better, not different player. I saw that with Bertrand who liked to bomb on past Chris. If Livermore gets a run at full back then this relationship could develop again. I saw glimpses of it on Satdi.

Taylor also took it on himself to wander across to the right occasionally and scored from the right hand side two weeks ago.

Taylor entertains.. which to my mind is what it's all about. It will be a sad day when he is dropped because he doesn't always get past his man or the cross is poor. There are poorer players in this division and on the TICS team who are shoe ins each week.. He lights up the pitch and the faces of the kids when he gets the ball. Give him a break and a chance!!! Put him on the right Sheridan....

Edited by happyterryb

Put him on the right Sheridan....

Well it'd improve Eards form and give him a boost and have Taylor on the side he has said himself he prefers. That'd be a balanced right. Trouble is we'd have another player in the same situation on the left as what Taylor had and no regular left back which in turn is an issue in itself :blink:

Taylor is a good player for this level and with some luck and improvement he could be a Premiership player. He has what only God can give you and that's some decent pace. His first touch isn't great and his crossing is a bit hit and miss but these are things which can be coached. It doesn't help that he's playing slightly out of position on the left without a genuine left back behind him. Ever since Ryan left he's looked poorer. I'd like to see him play on the right with another winger on the left (probably Smalley as I think Liddle may be done) or in a free role behind the front two where he could go on to either wing. It does seem that the wide players at Oldham come into a lot of stick and I don't think this is co-incidence. Taylor and Eardley are both genuine talents (as proven by the number of top clubs that have looked at either of them) and you don't become a bad player overnight but the abuse they get from the Lookers in particular would make you think otherwise.

Taylor being an Oldhamite i think actually hinders him as he's getting a bit of a reputation for overly frequenting the local drinking establishments but he's only doing what most people his age do and doing it with people he's probably known for ages. If he was doing the same thing elsewhere I don't think he'd have the same reputation. As he's a local boy done good and an Latic to boot he is under some pressure to perform every time he plays and some of this is because he so obvioulsy wants to do well for the team he (and his family) supports.

He's never going to be a tricky Ricky or an Eyresy but these were wingers who beat their man with skill and not pace (in Holden's case often more than once), if i was an opposition full back i'd know which i'd prefer to mark unless i was as quick as Taylor (which there's be at most 3). He's still young and is still learning and he could benefit from some constructive criticsm but no-one benefits from abuse.

Half a mill??????????

All that city living and lack of fresh air is going to your head mate :grin: .

Twenty quid, a stick of rock and a free donkey ride for Hardy should just about do the trick I reckon.

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

I like how people still think you're on a wind up Wilson :lol:

I'm sure you will tell 'em all it is something that I do rant about in public too.

Ah well if they want to think that I don't believe that Taylor is rubbish so be it. The rants on here will happen again.

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

I'm sure you will tell 'em all it is something that I do rant about in public too.

Ah well if they want to think that I don't believe that Taylor is rubbish so be it. The rants on here will happen again.

CT - WOS.

KtF,

Derek.

Oh good what a relief. If only we had 4,300 fans like you we would be soooo lucky! Imagine the support, the players would soooo enjoy playing in front of a load of your sort. Good or bad, black or white, ginger or brunette, if they wear the blue of Owdum and work their socks off I will support them 100%. Seen some rubbish too but never boo them at matches. I have obviously been doing it wrong all these years. You are such a pillock sorry pillar of the club, long may your positivity continue! My hero!!

Well it'd improve Eards form and give him a boost and have Taylor on the side he has said himself he prefers. That'd be a balanced right. Trouble is we'd have another player in the same situation on the left as what Taylor had and no regular left back which in turn is an issue in itself :blink:

lomax is a left back,and a good promising one at that.

so in theory you could use lomax and livermoor on the left with eardly n taylor on the right.

latics have always played well with wingers.

so in theory you could use lomax and livermoor on the left with eardly n taylor on the right.

Of course Lomax long term is ideal but at the moment he isn't a regular and it takes longer than ten minutes here and there to build any sort of partnership.

Should Eards move on though the right back slot is all his. If he's that good at left back, right shouldn't be a problem should it :)

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I don't think Lomax is a left back, he is a right footed player who to me has done quite well when filling in at left back.

That is why we were so keen to get a genuine left sided player (Livermore) to give the team some balance, this still gives us the option to play Lomax at left back and Livermore further forward on the left side of midfield/left wing.

Oh good what a relief. If only we had 4,300 fans like you we would be soooo lucky! Imagine the support, the players would soooo enjoy playing in front of a load of your sort. Good or bad, black or white, ginger or brunette, if they wear the blue of Owdum and work their socks off I will support them 100%. Seen some rubbish too but never boo them at matches. I have obviously been doing it wrong all these years. You are such a pillock sorry pillar of the club, long may your positivity continue! My hero!!

Not being funny Leezy but I don't think I've EVER heard Wilson boo/berate a player during a game. Groans/shouts/strangled strings of expletives borne of exasperation or whatever - like the rest of us - but usually 110% support. He will though, down the pub or wherever, tell it as he sees it. Always one with the courage to stand by his convictions in public, which takes a fair amount of balls when you are as short, skinny, speccy and ginger as he is! :grin:

I think what he was on about with his 'public rant' admission was that someone was alluding earlier in the thread that the internet 'gave a voice' to people like him, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Not being funny Leezy but I don't think I've EVER heard Wilson boo/berate a player during a game. Groans/shouts/strangled strings of expletives borne of exasperation or whatever - like the rest of us - but usually 110% support. He will though, down the pub or wherever, tell it as he sees it. Always one with the courage to stand by his convictions in public, which takes a fair amount of balls when you are as short, skinny, speccy and ginger as he is! :grin:

I think what he was on about with his 'public rant' admission was that someone was alluding earlier in the thread that the internet 'gave a voice' to people like him, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Thanks for that I am very glad to hear it - much prefer people voicing negative opinion on here rather than at the ground - long may his support continue and I appreciate everyone sees things differently - I for one am quite different and am proud of it. He dont like Talyor, I love him, he says tomato I say potato!

You forgot to add pale fatty :o .