Frizzell

From "Where are they now?"

http://www.webservicesbc.com/latics/Aj.html

"Jimmy Frizzell (1960-82) was a great favourite of the Latics supporters. When he was sacked he had the distinction of being the second longest serving manager in the football league. He is now chief scout for Manchester City F.C"

Didn't he do a bit more than this?!? Like a couple of promotions...

Guest oa_exile
Jimmy Frizzell

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James Frizzell was a Scottish football player and manager.

Frizzell began his playing career at Greenock Morton as a forward in 1957. Three years later, he joined Oldham Athletic, where he played 318 matches and scored 57 goals in the wing-half and full-back roles.

A managerial career was started in March 1970 when Frizzell became manager of Oldham Athletic, following a spell as a coach under Jack Rowley. At the time, the club was near the bottom of Division Four, with the distinct possibility of having to re-apply for League status. He then guided the team to nine wins and six draws in the remaining 22 matches and a comfortable midtable finish. In the following season Oldham achieved promotion to the Division Three and in 1974 they won the divisional league championship. Despite his success at the helm of the club, Frizzell was dismissed in early 1982. He was at the time the second longest serving manager in the Football League.

After a year unemployed, Frizzell was invited to join Manchester City as an assistant to Billy McNeill. He became manager after the exit of his former boss in October 1986. Frizzell was sacked in May 1987 as the team was relegated to the Division Two under a serious financial crisis. He returned to the club in 1994 to work as chief scout but left in 1998.

That article is slightly wrong Exile as Frizz was sacked from Citeh later than May 1987. He was still manager of them when we won there 2-1 in 1987/88 and prompted the infamous "yarddogs" statement. In fact I'm sure he was still manager in 1988/89 as my dad had a round of golf with him about then on the morning before Citeh played away at Blackburn.

I can't be arsed editing Wikipedia though.

From "Where are they now?"

http://www.webservicesbc.com/latics/Aj.html

"Jimmy Frizzell (1960-82) was a great favourite of the Latics supporters. When he was sacked he had the distinction of being the second longest serving manager in the football league. He is now chief scout for Manchester City F.C"

Didn't he do a bit more than this?!? Like a couple of promotions...

There was a demonstartion at the civic centre when he was sacked.

Guest oa_exile
That article is slightly wrong Exile ...............

Didnt read it mate , just copied and pasted for info , Frizz was way before my time :grin:

That article is slightly wrong Exile as Frizz was sacked from Citeh later than May 1987. He was still manager of them when we won there 2-1 in 1987/88 and prompted the infamous "yarddogs" statement. In fact I'm sure he was still manager in 1988/89 as my dad had a round of golf with him about then on the morning before Citeh played away at Blackburn.

Frizz was actually moved upstairs to the role of general manager after relegation in 86/87 with Mel Machin taking on the role of first team manager. After Machin was sacked in November '89 and Kendall came in Frizz up until his retirement in the late 90s worked in a number of roles behind the scenes at the club.

Frizz didn't come to us a a wing half. He was an inside left and in conjunction with Bert Lister formed a strike force that we have never seen the like of since ( goals to games ratio ).

It was only in later years that he dropped back to left half and eventually full back.

Frizz didn't come to us a a wing half. He was an inside left and in conjunction with Bert Lister formed a strike force that we have never seen the like of since ( goals to games ratio ).

It was only in later years that he dropped back to left half and eventually full back.

Scored a fair few goals in his early years too, obviously a Mr. Reliable in the goalscoring stakes ala Palmer or Dux i.e. when yer needed dragging out of deep stuck, he'd step up to the plate.

I remember Frizzell's testimonial match where the crowd was considerably higher than our league games, this followed his sacking in the Summer of 1982.

Apart from the blanket "Looking for a new direction" the club never really provided a definitive or satisfactory explanation.

Any offers ?