new song

It's the traditional Southampton song blatantly stolen by Spurs.

Its a brilliant song to have. can't see it being sung at home games because the atmosphere is dead but I say we give it a go at an away game! It'll sound good. And so what...if Spurs can steal it off Southampton, we can steal it off Spurs =]

Even if OWTB isn't new...it's good and a few people i know who support Huddersfield said they think it's awesome and it's our best song. I think it is probably one of our best songs but we sing it once and thats it, back to the old silence in the chaddy. I'm sick of the atmosphere being rubbish...if you look at the league table, we're not doing badly because our away record has kept us up there so you'd think we'd get a lot more fans than we are doing now if you look at how many we had in the 90's. Where have they all gone??...

I don't get why OWTB is considered to be new? I remember singing it as a teenager at Latics.... maybe it's just me?

It's just you. :grin:

I think it was "invented" about 3 years ago at Swindon. It's a brilliant song and is something to be proud of as it's unique. Easy lyrics, simple tune and fantastic when sung by everyone like at Everton.

Earliest I remember was at Oxford in feb 97.

1st time I heard it on what was an awful performance but a decent atmos.

Was about 6 of us singing it.

We decided to watch the games on the playing fields behind it was that bad!

Used to sing it a lot slower than its sung at present which to me is why it fizzles out too quickly.

They the days

Edited by burgerdarts

Some would argue that we nicked "Oh when the Blues" off Sheff Utd with "Oh when the Blades."

Which owtb is taken from and moulded into our version of what some say was an orginal blades song.

I believe also that this was the Blades version of the Spurs / S'ton song at the beginning of this thread.

Still, perfect to step back in time and wheel out the slower version by the sea on Sat.......... hands in the air ........... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhh wwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

n .......

It's just you. :grin:

I think it was "invented" about 3 years ago at Swindon. It's a brilliant song and is something to be proud of as it's unique. Easy lyrics, simple tune and fantastic when sung by everyone like at Everton.

Anyone who was there at that mentioned Swindon match will remember how passionate the 300/400 Latics sang that day. Winning away with the siege mentallity that every supporter had in his/her belly that day. The Swindon fans were in awe, they really were. It just went on and on and on louder and louder with more and more passion. Fantastic. It was actually in Talbot days if memory serves me well.

Edited by Lags

I think it was "invented" about 3 years ago at Swindon.

I'll keep repeating, until the composer/adaptor proves otherwise, that the first time it was performed was at Goodison Park on 27th February 1993, when two lads sang it and it was treated as naff by everyone else. Full credit to those lads for what has become a classic respected by fans of other clubs.

The Swindon performance was undeniably the day the song came of age.

It's the traditional Southampton song blatantly stolen by Spurs.

Yep, remember that tune from the Dell when they thought we were going out of the Littlewoods Cup... :grin:

It was packed in the parts of the ground they actually let us in. Some Latics who were sat with us on the Latics special train went for a pint near the ground and didn't get in and were obviously gutted - it was quiet on the train on the way back, until it broke down... Good times.

And outside Mumps at about 4 in the morning was the first time I heard "Put the champagne on ice, we're going to Wembley twice". Now that was a song for the times.

That day at Swindon will remain long in the memory. The day we remained in League One (or Division Two it may have been). Perhaps not mathematically so but realistically. With the Summer that preceeded it you could hear the belief get louder all day. We'd have outsung any set of fans that day.

Even with all the great away days this season, for many many reasons, it must rank in the top 3

OWTB is brilliant when it really gets going and must be really lifting to the players especially. It's awesome when that first line is belted out...then it speeds up but gets a little quiter and then the first line is belted out again and then repeat. B)

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

i was thinking that latics are in need of some new songs so heres a link of an idea i thought could be good

instead of oh when the spurs oh when the blues

The problem is that when you try to sing stuff slowly and deliberately, the drummer will just try to raise the tempo and the thing gets in a mess...

...Doh!

:getmecoat::grin:

the put the champiagne on ice song was first sung in the third round of the fa cup at home bye me in the chaddy just got a load of funny looks when i started it soon caught on at birmingham tho

oh and i nicked it off everton whod sang it a few years before