How refreshing to hear praise for ones own fans

Just listened to a piece on 5 live where an officail from Rochdale told how the fans had tried to get tonights match on at Spotland by feeding wood in Brazier fires. They'd done this through last night and today, alas it failed and the match is off. Yet the officail went on to say they don't have many fans but the ones they had they wouldnt change for the world. Pity we dont hear more praise on here instead of all the slatting how bad we are!! Also during the interview they are doing a super fan comp where supporters are handing out vouchers to non attendee's and the fan that gets most into the ground wins a prize and title of super fan. We've had a thread running today for idea's of improving the attendances.

There is plenty of praise for Latics fans Lags on here and via the Official Site. Sheridan often refers to "different class" so much so that it became a bit of an in joke and many have it on their signature/ avatar and there were thanks to all those who attended the March etc last year. Some of it even appeared in The Chron and Barry Owen has said quite a bit on here about the great stuff our fans do for the Club.

Plenty of positive threads talk about the lengths that people go to in order to support and do things for the Club and also their fellow fans. And of course there are those threads that talk about moaners who single out players for making a bad pass; goalkeeping error etc etc.

We've got some great fans and some real moaners - just like every Club. We talk about the good and bad on Messageboards and also get feedback on the Official Site.

Just listened to a piece on 5 live where an officail from Rochdale told how the fans had tried to get tonights match on at Spotland.... the officail went on to say they don't have many fans but the ones they had they wouldnt change for the world. Pity we dont hear more praise on here instead of all the slatting how bad we are!!

I agree about how refreshing the radio piece was. The Rochdale spokesman said their slogan is "Real football for real fans". If he had made that statement on here, there would have been plenty prepared to challenge, in a thread lasting several days, the meaning of both "real football" and "real fans".

I agree about how refreshing the radio piece was. The Rochdale spokesman said their slogan is "Real football for real fans". If he had made that statement on here, there would have been plenty prepared to challenge, in a thread lasting several days, the meaning of both "real football" and "real fans".

Would you have moaned they were not singing whilst they worked? :lol::wink:

I happen to think Latics fans are way way ahead of Mancs and deserve respect.

I couldn't agree more.

Anyone who chooses to follow a team like Latics when it is all too easy to follow the big boys (from their armchair) deserves a load of respect. Doesn't stop us having some who get on our nerves though and occasionally, I get riled enough to have a pop back like the idiots slagging Davies for 90 minutes on Saturday. :grin:

What I love is that no matter who the guy is stood next to you, we are all the same in our joy and pain when we win or lose. And then there are the moments like Wembley and Goodison.

My boys get a bit of stick at school because of the shirts they wear. "Why don't you support Manchester or Chelsea?". "Oldham aren't in the Premier League" etc. etc. I talk to them about this and they are understanding why it is so important to follow a family Club like ours. They now reply "Because I'm Oldham Til I Die", "Premier League, you're having a laugh" or the old favourite - "I bet you've never had a Christmas Card from Chaddy The Owl".

:)

My boys get a bit of stick at school because of the shirts they wear. "Why don't you support Manchester or Chelsea?". "Oldham aren't in the Premier League" etc. etc. I talk to them about this and they are understanding why it is so important to follow a family Club like ours. They now reply "Because I'm Oldham Til I Die", "Premier League, you're having a laugh" or the old favourite - "I bet you've never had a Christmas Card from Chaddy The Owl".

I got loads of stick at school for being a Latics fan. We had a little gang of us that supported Latics, probably only three or four in number and it was hard work. From 96-01 while I was there we had some of our worst times. I can remember pretty much all the taunts and the mugs who delivered them. Being in school and having United win the treble and even City go up at Wembley in 99 while we staved off relegation was a very tough time. Thing is it built up my character. Maybe smacking someone on the nose for doing spitting on the back of my Latics shirt was a bit too far but I'd had enough after five years of taunts!!!

I understood that things wouldn't always go my way. Meanwhile those used to watch their beloved lads win every week on TV flipped at the mere hint of not getting their own way in school. Then while they traipsed round the Spindles/sat in McDonald's/played computer games of a weekend I was out there traveling the country watching Latics, learning things, meeting people and most of all watching my team.

I'm sure your lads will have the same experiences as they get older but they'll be better people for it :)

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Not trying to be argumentative I_C, but just wondered who you think should be showing the respect which you think is deserved?

I mean to one another I guess. I know I personally have respect for others who could have taken an easier route in choosing their football team. It won't however stop me arguing with them if I disagree with their opinion though and I wouldn't expect it the other way round either.

Nor do I think we need to get any special praise from the Club. We know that we are welcomed and for you, me and the rest of us, our Club is small enough for us to know we can make a difference and know that we are truly appreciated.

It just can't be the same at Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

I got loads of stick at school for being a Latics fan.... Thing is it built up my character.

I understood that things wouldn't always go my way. Meanwhile those used to watch their beloved lads win every week on TV flipped at the mere hint of not getting their own way in school. Then while they traipsed round the Spindles/sat in McDonald's/played computer games of a weekend I was out there traveling the country watching Latics, learning things, meeting people and most of all watching my team.

I'm sure your lads will have the same experiences as they get older but they'll be better people for it :)

Well said! Agree with every word about character building.

I think that's why so many of those of us, who've formed our character through the thin and thinner of watching Latics, find it so difficult to understand why our fellow sufferers give in to the temptation to turn their angst on the team or, even worse, turn their back on the Club.

I mean to one another I guess. I know I personally have respect for others who could have taken an easier route in choosing their football team. It won't however stop me arguing with them if I disagree with their opinion though and I wouldn't expect it the other way round either.

Nor do I think we need to get any special praise from the Club. We know that we are welcomed and for you, me and the rest of us, our Club is small enough for us to know we can make a difference and know that we are truly appreciated.

Agree completely. Thought it best to clarify your thoughts just in case you were to be accused of seeking respect from those who incorrectly think you are, and should not be, part of a clique. :chubb:

Well said! Agree with every word about character building.

I think that's why so many of those of us, who've formed our character through the thin and thinner of watching Latics, find it so difficult to understand why our fellow sufferers give in to the temptation to turn their angst on the team or, even worse, turn their back on the Club.

I do find it difficult to understand too. I don't mind so much on here but at games it'd be better off saved for putting on here. Maybe install laptops into every seat so people can vent their fury online during the game? (hint, hint TTA :wink:)

Here here! My feelings exactly.

Though I do get the feeling that there are some on this messageboard, who I feel, do show a lack of respect for fellow Latics fans. I've always been proud of anyone who when asked calls themselves a Latics fan; and it doesn't matter to me the way in which they show it, even if it is once or twice a season at the 'big' games. I would rather have this than them travel to the big clubs down the road. Although obviously for the furthering of our club I wish they would turn up at BP every home game; I guess it's a matter of keeping the faith that one day the will return on a regular basis.

Here here! My feelings exactly.

Though I do get the feeling that there are some on this messageboard, who I feel, do show a lack of respect for fellow Latics fans. I've always been proud of anyone who when asked calls themselves a Latics fan; and it doesn't matter to me the way in which they show it, even if it is once or twice a season at the 'big' games. I would rather have this than them travel to the big clubs down the road. Although obviously for the furthering of our club I wish they would turn up at BP every home game; I guess it's a matter of keeping the faith that one day the will return on a regular basis.

As you say it's a matter of keeping that faith - the hope behind my comments is that there is still a Club to which they can return on a regular basis when they are ready.

As you say it's a matter of keeping that faith - the hope behind my comments is that there is still a Club to which they can return on a regular basis when they are ready.

Yes agreed, but with the stadium development I thought that the plan was to create revenue streams outside of the playing side of the club and make the football side sustainable.

I got loads of stick at school for being a Latics fan. We had a little gang of us that supported Latics, probably only three or four in number and it was hard work. From 96-01 while I was there we had some of our worst times. I can remember pretty much all the taunts and the mugs who delivered them. Being in school and having United win the treble and even City go up at Wembley in 99 while we staved off relegation was a very tough time. Thing is it built up my character. Maybe smacking someone on the nose for doing spitting on the back of my Latics shirt was a bit too far but I'd had enough after five years of taunts!!!

I know the feeling well supported Tics from 1965 born and bred a warwickshire lad

I had all those years will people asking why Latcs and still do

Still my son is a true latic aswell now So that's both of us now :grin: