Roger Palmer

Just been reading the Wikipedia stub on Roger which reports his whereabouts is unknown !

Is this actually the case or an urban myth ?

Also when was the last time he was back at BP ? Seem to recall him taking a penalty at the Chaddy End in a night game 2002ish (remember David Reeves had recently signed)

Did anyone from this forum ever meet him ?

Just been reading the Wikipedia stub on Roger which reports his whereabouts is unknown !

Is this actually the case or an urban myth ?

Also when was the last time he was back at BP ? Seem to recall him taking a penalty at the Chaddy End in a night game 2002ish (remember David Reeves had recently signed)

Did anyone from this forum ever meet him ?

Am i right in thinking he now resides in the Sale area?

Am i right in thinking he now resides in the Sale area?

He has been spotted a couple of times recently in Sale by OWTB Members. Possibly Ackey and Hometownclub?

Latics have tried to get him back several times but as defenders found out to their cost, the Dodger is rather elusive.

Hopefully, he will make an appearance to sign the Legends Series T-Shirts when the Palmer one is unleashed on a salivating public!

He lives in Sale and can regularly be seen around Sale town centre precinct, I work down here and often see him when I'm out in Sale at Lunchtime.

He is a really decent bloke but very quiet and has resisted several attempts by the club to lure him back to BP over the years.

I heard he owned a chippy in Sale aswell. Apparently he doesnt come back because he feels shafted by the club and doesnt like the high life being a quiet lad

shafted by the club in what way???

He lives on the racecourse estate in sale - rough as it is.... the barbers i go in sale tells all his whereabouts because i once walked in with a latics top on thats it, all i get is what rodger is upto these days... Says he lives on the racecourse and is well known as a bit of a weirdo never speaks and spends many a day pacing up and down his garden, apparently has problems with alcohol and gambling has very little money and keeps himself to himself....

Bear in mind this is all alledgedly and is second hand info from not the most reliable of sources my barber.... whatever he is upto these days he is the sole reason im a tic fan and look back on his playing days with very fond memories..... my mother always reminds of when i was 4 sat in mcdonalds in town signing oooh rodger palmer at the top of my voice followed by the referrees a :censored: (obviously didnt know that was offensive) a sharp clip of the ear soon came about...... geez they were the days. :D

Guest oa_exile
Can I just point out that the correct spelling of Roger Plamer is without a D.

Also, Rodger Wylde does have a D.

Thanks

It is also Palmer and not Plamer :grin:

Thanks

lol :grin: Quality :applause1: Well done you two , you have made my day :laught16:

I used to work in Sale when Ro(d)ger was a tic and he used to be hanging around the train station fairly regularly in the mornings waiting for a lift to training. I also spent a large portion of one Saturday night many moons ago talking to the great man in The Greaves. As many have said, a quiet but likeable bloke.

From BBC website:

posted Jan 6, 2008

me and my brother and a few mates got in contact with roger a few weeks before christmas and we arranged to meet him and his girlfriend for a few beers so off we went to the designated pub and low and behold the man turned up he looked brilliant we sat and talked for hours from 8.00 till gone 12.30 he could not belive that people held him with so much regared we remembered goals he had scored and all the great games he played in we keep in regular contact and he has promised he will come to a home game with us we all had photos done and i gave one to gordon at boundary park and he put it in the latics programme and it was also in the royton rag and oldham rag

Is this true? i don't remember seeing it.

Fascinating stuff, just hope the stories about drinking and falling on hard times are rubbish.

One thing I do remember about Roger is the club offering to pay for a trip anywhere in the world in recognition of him becoming our record scorer. Roger very sensibly chose the Channel Islands ! I bet Mr. Stott was delighted.