Latics related Autobiographies

Off the top of my head I know the following have released one

Joe Royle

Mick Quinn

Graeme Sharp

Neil Redfern

I've got Royles and Sharps at home, my bro has read Mick Quinns. Shouldn't we sell them in the clubs shop? It would make a better read than yet another A-Z of Latics players

Off the top of my head I know the following have released one

Joe Royle

Mick Quinn

Graeme Sharp

Neil Redfern

I've got Royles and Sharps at home, my bro has read Mick Quinns. Shouldn't we sell them in the clubs shop? It would make a better read than yet another A-Z of Latics players

I would hate to see Sharp's book in the club shop.

a bit different...........

which ex latic players A/B who you like to read???

for me it would have to be Rick Holden!

have heard many a tale about his exploits.. i think it would be a very funny read!

Rick's a good shout.

Frizz, Roger the Dodger and I bet Alan Hardy's would make for interesting reading!

Harry Redknapps Autobiography gives Alan Groves a good mention including-

No, no, I’ve been to Chesterfield a few times. I remember we played them away when I was at Bournemouth when John Bond was the manager, and we had an outside left called Alan Groves. He was the strongest, quickest, most skilful player I’ve ever seen. He was something else, this fella, and it was frightening how much talent he had. But he was a bit of a character and I remember we went to Chesterfield one day and we got off the coach and this bird came up to him and said: ‘Here y’are, you bloody ’ave him,’ and handed him this baby. He was married, but it was a bird he was seeing apparently, and she left him holding the baby and just buggered off. So he’s stood there, holding the baby outside, while Bond’s giving the team talk. Groves had to give it to some fans to look after while he played, and he took it back on the team coach after the game and his brother and sister looked after him in Portland Bill. I’ll never forget it. What a player he was.”

Alan Groves. On my life, Nick, he was incredible. He could have played for England. You’ve never seen nothing like him. You used to kiss him and you’d bounce off him, he was that big, but he was quicker and more skilful than anyone I’ve ever seen. He died at 27, I think, of a heart attack. A tragedy. I always think of him when I think of Chesterfield.”

Harry Redknapps Autobiography gives Alan Groves a good mention including-

No, no, I’ve been to Chesterfield a few times. I remember we played them away when I was at Bournemouth when John Bond was the manager, and we had an outside left called Alan Groves. He was the strongest, quickest, most skilful player I’ve ever seen. He was something else, this fella, and it was frightening how much talent he had. But he was a bit of a character and I remember we went to Chesterfield one day and we got off the coach and this bird came up to him and said: ‘Here y’are, you bloody ’ave him,’ and handed him this baby. He was married, but it was a bird he was seeing apparently, and she left him holding the baby and just buggered off. So he’s stood there, holding the baby outside, while Bond’s giving the team talk. Groves had to give it to some fans to look after while he played, and he took it back on the team coach after the game and his brother and sister looked after him in Portland Bill. I’ll never forget it. What a player he was.”

Alan Groves. On my life, Nick, he was incredible. He could have played for England. You’ve never seen nothing like him. You used to kiss him and you’d bounce off him, he was that big, but he was quicker and more skilful than anyone I’ve ever seen. He died at 27, I think, of a heart attack. A tragedy. I always think of him when I think of Chesterfield.”

Quality comments from one of the most respected English managers in the game today

alan groves = god my first tru latics hero would be worth millions today "class in a glass"

Alan Groves a great player and a really nice bloke.

I remember seeing him and other Latics players in the Tower Club watching a Sad Cafe gig (possibly 1976)

So by stayin at Pompey he should zero loyalty? absolutely none?

Once you've already proven to been disloyal in the past, having a show of loyalty later, when he really should have done that when the Saints came a calling, is pure folly.

But, in your world Lags, yeah. Proper loyal is 'Arry. Proper loyal.

look, I said harry showed loyalty by not going to Newcastle, nothing to do with how loyal a person all his life the bloke had been, and you know it. So type about what I actually said or do I get defensive sayin it like that?

Edited by Lags

Once you've already proven to been disloyal in the past, having a show of loyalty later, when he really should have done that when the Saints came a calling, is pure folly.

But, in your world Lags, yeah. Proper loyal is 'Arry. Proper loyal.

You're really fast annoyin me now, whats with all this my world :censored:? and arse kissin? have a called you anything? have I upset you? is it cos your ugly and I'm not?

look, I said harry showed loyalty by not going to Newcastle, nothing to do with how loyal a person all his life the bloke had been, and you know it. So type about what I actually said or do I get defensive sayin it like that?

So, you'd kind of agree with my thoughts in that Harry Redknapp showed a bit of loyalty this time (albeit with an extra salary bump by Pompey) but he's still a tosser for screwing them over for their worst rivals in the world a coupla years previously?

The biggest gripe we all had was you saying Kilkenny should have taken a leaf out of his book. You know, the "Flash Harry Bible of Loyalty and Faithfulness; Vol. 1". A carefuly selected leaf, I hasten to add.

He said nice things about Alan Groves though. :grin: