The death of individual opinion

I'm going to have a bit of a rant - unusually it is not Chris Taylor related.

Over the last few days whilst I have been opining about Taylor I have noticed something quite worrying on here; and that is the lack of chance/ patience/ respect (delete or add as applicable) that those that have a view differing from the norm are treated with on this here super moderated board.

Before everyone starts to jump down my throat give me a chance to explain.

In the past as a 'Latics supporting community' we have had choices about where we would like to post our viewpoints and spend our time, but as time has gone on this board is the only place that still exists as a thriving board - the others have sadly (in my opinion) died a death.

OK, so time and tide wait for no man (or woman in these PC (or Mac?) days) and progress must be made, but why have some of these people not moved along to this newly found community?

I put it to you that this board is seen by some as what I have seen described as 'the happy clappers' board. Ergo, if you don't agree with the consensus of opinion then you are there to be jumped all over by all and sundry.

I have stated before that I am not happy about the passing of older boards and that I am really not a fan of this format either, but as it is the only board that is continually in use I have a choice to use it or talk to myself elsewhere. I know some of you wish I would but no such luck.

There should be arguments and differences of opinion about how we see things - I have no problem with this at all - but when posters don't agree with things that are said many times the response ' Go and watch United' or 'The club don't need fans like you' are seen. If only OAFC were so richly blessed with fans that they could afford for those that viewed things a little differently to go off to Old Trafford at the slightest hint of discontent. I would bet my last penny that TTA would rather have ten thousand like me that have a gripe than a few thousand that have blue tinted specs welded to their skulls.

It has been touched on before, and I think Lags posted about the very same thing only last week - knocking other fans, moaning at ourselves because we can't get more than our regular 5,000 in through the gates etc etc. Those that go ARE needed, if they moan and gripe then so be it, they have paid their monies and are entitled to their opinions so far as I see it.

Another thing that saddens me is the lack of the old fashioned raconteurs, wind up merchants and miserablists on here. That is not to say that there aren't decent posters on here because there are some very good ones, why, I can think of two off the top of my head right now :wink: . Seriously though, the old boards used to have some good characters on them and it just doesn't seem to be happening here. Ok you don't necessarily have to agree or like their opinions, but their opinions are just as valid as everyone elses - they don't have to have a pack of blue tinted rabid 'happy clappers' jumping down their throats because they have something a little more controversial to express in their postings.

Where have the likes of Stipey (yeah, he is a wind up merchant, but he knows a hell of a lot about the club and has some quite fantastic tales to tell) and Wildy gone? Those two used to have some right barnies along with Nik, but when they saw each other there was always a smile and a laugh about the fact they had disagreed yet again. As much as many think he is the devil incarnate, what on earth has happened to any substantial posting from the good old Senor? (I will admit he makes me sound quite happy clappy, but most of the stuff he came out with I agreed with and he has been an excellent catalyst for making discussion happen in the past). Even BB80 has disappeared.

Seriously folks, I think this board needs to give all and sundry a chance. I'm not sure if it is a little too close to the club and doesn't want to seem to be giving air time to those that are perhaps a little more barbed in their opinions. This isn't meant to be ultra critical of this format, I know there have been some fantastic things organised through this since its inception, just a plea to others that maybe they should realise all opinion is valid.

Other than all that above, I think we should also be able to swear :grin: .

KtF,

Derek.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last few days whilst I have been opining about Taylor I have noticed something quite worrying on here; and that is the lack of chance/ patience/ respect (delete or add as applicable) that those that have a view differing from the norm are treated with on this here super moderated board.

In the past as a 'Latics supporting community' we have had choices about where we would like to post our viewpoints and spend our time, but as time has gone on this board is the only place that still exists as a thriving board - the others have sadly (in my opinion) died a death.

OK, so time and tide wait for no man (or woman in these PC (or Mac?) days) and progress must be made, but why have some of these people not moved along to this newly found community?

I put it to you that this board is seen by some as what I have seen described as 'the happy clappers' board. Ergo, if you don't agree with the consensus of opinion then you are there to be jumped all over by all and sundry.

I have stated before that I am not happy about the passing of older boards and that I am really not a fan of this format either, but as it is the only board that is continually in use I have a choice to use it or talk to myself elsewhere. I know some of you wish I would but no such luck.

There should be arguments and differences of opinion about how we see things - I have no problem with this at all - but when posters don't agree with things that are said many times the response ' Go and watch United' or 'The club don't need fans like you' are seen. If only OAFC were so richly blessed with fans that they could afford for those that viewed things a little differently to go off to Old Trafford at the slightest hint of discontent. I would bet my last penny that TTA would rather have ten thousand like me that have a gripe than a few thousand that have blue tinted specs welded to their skulls.

It has been touched on before, and I think Lags posted about the very same thing only last week - knocking other fans, moaning at ourselves because we can't get more than our regular 5,000 in through the gates etc etc. Those that go ARE needed, if they moan and gripe then so be it, they have paid their monies and are entitled to their opinions so far as I see it.

Another thing that saddens me is the lack of the old fashioned raconteurs, wind up merchants and miserablists on here. That is not to say that there aren't decent posters on here because there are some very good ones, why, I can think of two off the top of my head right now :wink: . Seriously though, the old boards used to have some good characters on them and it just doesn't seem to be happening here. Ok you don't necessarily have to agree or like their opinions, but their opinions are just as valid as everyone elses - they don't have to have a pack of blue tinted rabid 'happy clappers' jumping down their throats because they have something a little more controversial to express in their postings.

Where have the likes of Stipey (yeah, he is a wind up merchant, but he knows a hell of a lot about the club and has some quite fantastic tales to tell) and Wildy gone? Those two used to have some right barnies along with Nik, but when they saw each other there was always a smile and a laugh about the fact they had disagreed yet again. As much as many think he is the devil incarnate, what on earth has happened to any substantial posting from the good old Senor? (I will admit he makes me sound quite happy clappy, but most of the stuff he came out with I agreed with and he has been an excellent catalyst for making discussion happen in the past). Even BB80 has disappeared.

Seriously folks, I think this board needs to give all and sundry a chance. I'm not sure if it is a little too close to the club and doesn't want to seem to be giving air time to those that are perhaps a little more barbed in their opinions. This isn't meant to be ultra critical of this format, I know there have been some fantastic things organised through this since its inception, just a plea to others that maybe they should realise all opinion is valid.

KtF,

Derek.

Shut up Wilson you moronic k**b! :grin:

I did get bored half way through this post but spot on ‘Derk’! :grin:

This place (at times) forgets or abandons the key principles and advantages of holding a forum and looses its ideals through its dictatorial moderation.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times or a knock on affect from the overly Politically Correct country we live in.

Or the more likely cause of cyber buddies, or keyboard warriors on power trips?

Don’t forget 'mods' there are always two sides to every story and nobody can be right if everybody is wrong!

After all said and done we are all here because we share the same love in a football club and share not, the same opinions!

That being said SHERIDAN OUT!!! :grin: lol

KtF,

Derek.

Decent post DW, although not really controversial :grin:

Whilst i take your points in general, on a personal note I have enjoyed the owtb forums more than the others previously on offer. There are still a number of "debates" on here, indeed only last week there was a fairly major falling out with corporal jones with a number of posters. In reality it was only a major difference of opinion, but does show that the debates can and do take place.

The moderating is imo reasonable. We also don't suffer from the idiotic invading from the hub cap thiefs etc and after the ridiculous uproar on JK when we signed Lee Hughes I decided to stop using that forum altogether.

Any way each to their own and I await your new thread entitled "Bring back our best ever manager - Ronnie Moore." :wink:

Cheers

Harry

PS If you think you can get away with swearing on here you can p*ss right off (awaits edit by mod) :lol:

KtF,

Derek.

As far as I am concerned, everyone has a right to an opinion. Even if it differs from mine (which means it is wrong - obviously).

Derek, I don't agree with your opinion on Chris Taylor and many others don't - but comments like "Go and watch <insert name of other club here> and "You're not welcome" are the key issues IMO. Perhaps this is what the Mods should be stamping out. If someone has an opinion, they should voice it without making it personal.

For everyone else on here, I have know Derek since we were kids and you would struggle to find anyone MORE commited to Latics. In fact, I think that Derek was a founding member of Junior Latics :grin:

Also, just to confirm again - I don't hold his view on CT, but respect his (incorrect) opinion.

For everyone else on here, I have know Derek since we were kids and you would struggle to find anyone MORE commited to Latics. In fact, I think that Derek was a founding member of Junior Latics :grin:

Anyone who loves Diego Cervero enough to buy his shirt from Real Oviedo, in anticipation of Shez seeing the light which was blinding some of us, is alright by me, whether I see eye to eye with him or not. :grin:

KtF,

Derek.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

:tongue1:

In addition to those mentioned I also miss Brendan McManus!

Although I remain convinced that some of those mentioned they have alter egos on here! And there were not that many posters on JKL, just a classic multiple personality disorder case! One went, they all went!

Well said Derek.

This has very much become the "happy clappy" board and anyone who doesn't think that Da Tics are going to win the Champions League is derided as a moaner/not a proper fan/whatever pathetic insult can be invented at the time. There are a lot of posters on here who can't seem to understand that it is perfectly feasible to love your team and be able to deliberate on it's weaknesses. I was a long-time poster on JKL under various guises (just to add some spice to it, not because I had anything to hide) and, as much as I'm glad OWTB is here, miss JKL to a large extent because of the lack of "characters".

T_N

(AKA MegaGeoff, Dr Miserable, Dr Happy, etc.)

Well said Derek.

This has very much become the "happy clappy" board and anyone who doesn't think that Da Tics are going to win the Champions League is derided as a moaner/not a proper fan/whatever pathetic insult can be invented at the time. There are a lot of posters on here who can't seem to understand that it is perfectly feasible to love your team and be able to deliberate on it's weaknesses. I was a long-time poster on JKL under various guises (just to add some spice to it, not because I had anything to hide) and, as much as I'm glad OWTB is here, miss JKL to a large extent because of the lack of "characters".

T_N

(AKA MegaGeoff, Dr Miserable, Dr Happy, etc.)

But JKL is still there isn't it????

In some crap format yes its still there :lol:

I remember the "supporters" from other teams, Jewell and Crewe_Koala etc. Amusing and annoying at the same time.

Ice Cold in Alex was my particular "fave". He actually started to make sense after a while. Crewe_Koala was an utter gob:censored:e, and as for Jewell....... :angry:

What we really miss on this board and its something that kept rivals interesting is supporters of other teams we ain't gepgraphically that close to Wigan, Tranmere, and Blackpool but through JKL we were able to develop abit of a rivalry with supporters of these teams. Alright you would get the odd chav popping up giving it the big one, but you could get some decent banter and a decent discussion about football with some of them and because they supported a different team they would often see things from a different angle. Oh and I definately miss Walsh111's drunken ramblings they were great fun.

In some crap format yes its still there :lol:

I remember the "supporters" from other teams, Jewell and Crewe_Koala etc. Amusing and annoying at the same time.

And who can forget the ahem,opinions of James Maker.He had a lot of sensible things to say on everything Latics! :wacko:

I really miss Walsh111, especially on a Friday night. :disappointed: Who else can I talk to about ornithology? Whenever I see a red kite I think of Walshy. Thankfully I met him in person at Clyde before he disappeared into the ether.

thought this whole thread was egotistical and boring until I read this. Where has he gone? Red kites on the M4 , the m40 , bloody everywhere, with that and whatever red wine he was drinking we had some brilliant discussions . Come back Walshy!

Ice Cold in Alex was my particular "fave". He actually started to make sense after a while. Crewe_Koala was an utter gob:censored:e, and as for Jewell....... :angry:

The good old days of JKL :blink: glad to say JKL RIP :dead: , full of idiots :clown: , and look where it has actually finally led all those MB's to ............a few numpties trying to hold the fort , very sad people :dunce:

Cant believe that members of this MB are actually slating OWTB :shock: shocking , but then again the one's who are posting the negativity well ............... :sign0003:

thought this whole thread was egotistical and boring until I read this. Where has he gone? Red kites on the M4 , the m40 , bloody everywhere, with that and whatever red wine he was drinking we had some brilliant discussions . Come back Walshy!

Red Kites are they?

They are bloody big and there are loads of them on the M40. I thought they were Buzzards or Eagles or something!! My mates reckoned they were Kestrels, but I always thought the Kestrel was a relatively small bird?