The death of individual opinion

The good old days of JKL :blink: glad to say JKL RIP :dead: , full of idiots :clown: , and look where it has actually finally led all those MB's to ............a few numpties trying to hold the fort , very sad people :dunce:

Cant believe that members of this MB are actually slating OWTB :shock: shocking , but then again the one's who are posting the negativity well ............... :sign0003:

i dont think anyone is slating it.

i think it is merely being pointed out that you cant have a decent debate about anything before somebody disagrees and trys to make people conform to something that isnt appropriate.

i have had some cracking arguments over the years,but there isnt any malice in it,we still live in a free country so everybodys views,no matter what they are shiould be acceptable and up for discussion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Kites are they?

They are bloody big and there are loads of them on the M40. I thought they were Buzzards or Eagles or something!! My mates reckoned they were Kestrels, but I always thought the Kestrel was a relatively small bird?

You're correct - kestrels are relatively small. If we can join with astottie in talking about birds of prey, Walshy might reappear. :wink:

http://maryh.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/red-...s-over-the-m40/

red_kite_200.jpg

M40 around the Stokenchurch area ( just as you start the climb up through the cutting ) is inundated with Red Kites. They've become a local nuisance, apparently encouraged there by people leaving out food that is particularly attractive to them. Local Council is now trying to think of a way to cut the numbers.

I get the odd Sparrow Hawk in my garden.

This message board DOES appear to be the only one that hasn't died a death - I didnt like it at first but tis good now! I am guilty of mentioning going watching scum but the concept was 'if you want to see near perfect performances every week, go to OT' . The basis of that comment was Taylor is in my opinion a class act at our level IMHO and if you want to see higher lever of performances perhaps you need to watch higher level footy. Wouldnt wish going watching them rags on me worst enemy. think there have been PLENTY of heated arguments on here. Me personally dont spend more than an hour a day on here so dont really get involved in the long topics. I am also always a positive person (walk round all day with an inane grin) so I am admittedly a happy clapper and DO see more positives than negatives. That is just me, dont think peepul are wrong to criticise - each to their own - I just like people to see things in my world that's why I post.

And on the same lines, just because someone doesn't call for Shez's head or think player A is the worst player to step foot on a playing field it doesn't mean they are either a "happy clapper" or a wearer of blue tinted glasses.

There should be more discussion on here without resorting to insults, that is usually the first sign of losing the arguement.

It's interesting that those who bemoan their "right" to an opinion seem to be the very ones who find it difficult to accept other opinions. Far too many people seem to be automatically dividing us into two distinct and opposite groups - the doom and gloomers and the happy clappers. Is it too complicated to appreciate and accept the truth that in fact the vast majority of us exist somewhere in the shades of grey in between those extremes?

Far from bemoaning the death of individual opinion, I bemoan the death of the art of intelligent debate. And from my position in the lighter shades of grey (usually happy but not always clapping you might say...) I can't help thinking it's those who seem to be continually moaning about the "happy clappers" who are least able to hold a debate.

It's a dynamic that exists on forums everywhere. It's easy to be a critic. In fact it makes the poster feel somehow superior to criticise others. But as with most critics, they often struggle to explain their case, and are completely stumped when asked to come up with positive alternatives.

And for me that's the crux. I have no problem at all with anyone who criticises Shez's tactics (for example) as long as they are able to argue their case and tell us what they would do instead. Unfortunately, rather than doing that they tend to get defensive, accuse us all of being happy clappers, and claim the forum doesn't allow any dissenting opinions.

And of course it does work the other way too - debate is healthy and there is absolutely no way we should be coming down on people like a ton of bricks just because they dared to publicly doubt the mighty Shez/Taylor/TTA.

So there's the solution... Let's try thinking about what we really believe. Rather than tossing infalmmatory assertions and accusations around like p*ss in the wind, let's try to actually debate the points. WHY do I think Shez got it right, WHY do you think he got it wrong (and what would you have done), WHY do some think Taylor is God's gift, WHY do others think he should be playing for Stalybridge (reserves)....

Oh... and one final thing. One of the secrets of debate is to accept before you start that you won't change the other person's mind. If you understand that, it might stop you getting frustrated and shouting at them...

It's interesting that those who bemoan their "right" to an opinion seem to be the very ones who find it difficult to accept other opinions. Far too many people seem to be automatically dividing us into two distinct and opposite groups - the doom and gloomers and the happy clappers. Is it too complicated to appreciate and accept the truth that in fact the vast majority of us exist somewhere in the shades of grey in between those extremes?

Far from bemoaning the death of individual opinion, I bemoan the death of the art of intelligent debate. And from my position in the lighter shades of grey (usually happy but not always clapping you might say...) I can't help thinking it's those who seem to be continually moaning about the "happy clappers" who are least able to hold a debate.

It's a dynamic that exists on forums everywhere. It's easy to be a critic. In fact it makes the poster feel somehow superior to criticise others. But as with most critics, they often struggle to explain their case, and are completely stumped when asked to come up with positive alternatives.

And for me that's the crux. I have no problem at all with anyone who criticises Shez's tactics (for example) as long as they are able to argue their case and tell us what they would do instead. Unfortunately, rather than doing that they tend to get defensive, accuse us all of being happy clappers, and claim the forum doesn't allow any dissenting opinions.

And of course it does work the other way too - debate is healthy and there is absolutely no way we should be coming down on people like a ton of bricks just because they dared to publicly doubt the mighty Shez/Taylor/TTA.

So there's the solution... Let's try thinking about what we really believe. Rather than tossing infalmmatory assertions and accusations around like p*ss in the wind, let's try to actually debate the points. WHY do I think Shez got it right, WHY do you think he got it wrong (and what would you have done), WHY do some think Taylor is God's gift, WHY do others think he should be playing for Stalybridge (reserves)....

Oh... and one final thing. One of the secrets of debate is to accept before you start that you won't change the other person's mind. If you understand that, it might stop you getting frustrated and shouting at them...

Bollix! Everyone who dont agree with me can go an watch Man U - I am right - me mum sezz. So just stop arguing now and obey Leezy Law areet!!!

I'm on a self impossed year of positivity.

I just think everything around the club is a little boring at the moment, theres very little to debate.

What has happened to Stipey btw?

Bloody hell, possibly the first time I've ever agreed with S_C...

Quite a few I've spoken to (lurkers from jkl mainly) don't like the owtb format - the sign up process seemed ott, and the topic based, rather than thread based, layout.

For me, it's not having any views (excuse the pun) from our rivals. It just seems a bit cliquey at times. I tend to go through phases of activity/inactivity, depending on how fed up or bored I get.

I'm going to have a bit of a rant - unusually it is not Chris Taylor related.

Over the last few days whilst I have been opining about Taylor I have noticed something quite worrying on here; and that is the lack of chance/ patience/ respect (delete or add as applicable) that those that have a view differing from the norm are treated with on this here super moderated board.

Before everyone starts to jump down my throat give me a chance to explain.

In the past as a 'Latics supporting community' we have had choices about where we would like to post our viewpoints and spend our time, but as time has gone on this board is the only place that still exists as a thriving board - the others have sadly (in my opinion) died a death.

OK, so time and tide wait for no man (or woman in these PC (or Mac?) days) and progress must be made, but why have some of these people not moved along to this newly found community?

I put it to you that this board is seen by some as what I have seen described as 'the happy clappers' board. Ergo, if you don't agree with the consensus of opinion then you are there to be jumped all over by all and sundry.

I have stated before that I am not happy about the passing of older boards and that I am really not a fan of this format either, but as it is the only board that is continually in use I have a choice to use it or talk to myself elsewhere. I know some of you wish I would but no such luck.

There should be arguments and differences of opinion about how we see things - I have no problem with this at all - but when posters don't agree with things that are said many times the response ' Go and watch United' or 'The club don't need fans like you' are seen. If only OAFC were so richly blessed with fans that they could afford for those that viewed things a little differently to go off to Old Trafford at the slightest hint of discontent. I would bet my last penny that TTA would rather have ten thousand like me that have a gripe than a few thousand that have blue tinted specs welded to their skulls.

It has been touched on before, and I think Lags posted about the very same thing only last week - knocking other fans, moaning at ourselves because we can't get more than our regular 5,000 in through the gates etc etc. Those that go ARE needed, if they moan and gripe then so be it, they have paid their monies and are entitled to their opinions so far as I see it.

Another thing that saddens me is the lack of the old fashioned raconteurs, wind up merchants and miserablists on here. That is not to say that there aren't decent posters on here because there are some very good ones, why, I can think of two off the top of my head right now :wink: . Seriously though, the old boards used to have some good characters on them and it just doesn't seem to be happening here. Ok you don't necessarily have to agree or like their opinions, but their opinions are just as valid as everyone elses - they don't have to have a pack of blue tinted rabid 'happy clappers' jumping down their throats because they have something a little more controversial to express in their postings.

Where have the likes of Stipey (yeah, he is a wind up merchant, but he knows a hell of a lot about the club and has some quite fantastic tales to tell) and Wildy gone? Those two used to have some right barnies along with Nik, but when they saw each other there was always a smile and a laugh about the fact they had disagreed yet again. As much as many think he is the devil incarnate, what on earth has happened to any substantial posting from the good old Senor? (I will admit he makes me sound quite happy clappy, but most of the stuff he came out with I agreed with and he has been an excellent catalyst for making discussion happen in the past). Even BB80 has disappeared.

Seriously folks, I think this board needs to give all and sundry a chance. I'm not sure if it is a little too close to the club and doesn't want to seem to be giving air time to those that are perhaps a little more barbed in their opinions. This isn't meant to be ultra critical of this format, I know there have been some fantastic things organised through this since its inception, just a plea to others that maybe they should realise all opinion is valid.

Other than all that above, I think we should also be able to swear :grin: .

KtF,

Derek.

Possibly the best post ever to appear on this site.

And you didn't feel the need to end with the obligatory Thanks and Praise to TTA.

only last week there was a fairly major falling out with corporal jones with a number of posters. In reality it was only a major difference of opinion, but does show that the debates can and do take place.

I haven't fallen out with anybody. I never take criticism personally, even if it's meant that way and, in turn, try to offer only honest opinion.

This message board DOES appear to be the only one that hasn't died a death - I didnt like it at first but tis good now! I am guilty of mentioning going watching scum but the concept was 'if you want to see near perfect performances every week, go to OT' . The basis of that comment was Taylor is in my opinion a class act at our level IMHO and if you want to see higher lever of performances perhaps you need to watch higher level footy. Wouldnt wish going watching them rags on me worst enemy. think there have been PLENTY of heated arguments on here. Me personally dont spend more than an hour a day on here so dont really get involved in the long topics. I am also always a positive person (walk round all day with an inane grin) so I am admittedly a happy clapper and DO see more positives than negatives. That is just me, dont think peepul are wrong to criticise - each to their own - I just like people to see things in my world that's why I post.

What saddens me is the number of fans who seem to have given up on the possibility of seeing Latics playing higher level football, or else have put it off to some hypothetical future on the basis that 'we only have 4000 fans' (which is not true for a start) and hence cannot afford it.

And on the same lines, just because someone doesn't call for Shez's head or think player A is the worst player to step foot on a playing field it doesn't mean they are either a "happy clapper" or a wearer of blue tinted glasses.

There should be more discussion on here without resorting to insults, that is usually the first sign of losing the arguement.

If the worst thing somebody gets called is 'a happy clapper,' life isn't all that bad, is it?

I think it might have been me who coined the term. In return, particularly for diffeing from the consensus (although not greatly) among the dominant group of posters, I get called 'a troll' and other such names. Do you see me complaining?

I get called 'a troll' and other such names. Do you see me complaining?

I think that's more because you litter threads with multiple responses. A good example is the last three posts you've done, which could have been just put together in one.

But I agree with out on one aspect

"If the worst thing somebody gets called is 'a happy clapper,' life isn't all that bad, is it?"

I couldn't agree more. Let's have a love-in.

What saddens me is the number of fans who seem to have given up on the possibility of seeing Latics playing higher level football, or else have put it off to some hypothetical future on the basis that 'we only have 4000 fans' (which is not true for a start) and hence cannot afford it.

We don't get THAT many more but still think we can go up - coz we got a good squad, good blend of yoof and experience, a manager that has already had one bash at the play-offs so will have learnt from the experience AND I am in the full knowledge we have been nowhere near our best yet and that is yet to come - positive? YOUR DAAAAMN RIGHT!!!

I think that's more because you litter threads with multiple responses. A good example is the last three posts you've done, which could have been just put together in one.

They're all responses to different posts from different people. I don't have time during the working day to mess about chopping and editing.

We don't get THAT many more but still think we can go up - coz we got a good squad, good blend of yoof and experience, a manager that has already had one bash at the play-offs so will have learnt from the experience AND I am in the full knowledge we have been nowhere near our best yet and that is yet to come - positive? YOUR DAAAAMN RIGHT!!!

Once again, without some convincing evidence of progress on the footballing side, sustained over several seasons, we will never get crowds all that much better than they currently are. Rebuilding a fan base takes time after more than a decade of mostly disaster, especially with football costing as much as it does now. But perpetual mediocrity, or further decline, makes the task absolutely impossible.

Lapsed fans and others in and around Oldham who are inclined to look favourably on the club do amount to a lot more than the 4,000-5,500 that our hardcore fan base is generally deemed to be. But they need convincing.

If the worst thing somebody gets called is 'a happy clapper,' life isn't all that bad, is it?

I think it might have been me who coined the term. In return, particularly for diffeing from the consensus (although not greatly) among the dominant group of posters, I get called 'a troll' and other such names. Do you see me complaining?

I couldn't give a rats ass what anyone gets called on a message board, I would actually prefer it if people were able to say what they wanted to say and sod the "family board" mentality, kids these days know most of the swear words and it isn't a message boards job to police what the yuuuut of today see. The only people to get offended by swear words are too uptight and can go :censored: themselves if you ask me.

I couldn't give a rats ass what anyone gets called on a message board, I would actually prefer it if people were able to say what they wanted to say and sod the "family board" mentality, kids these days know most of the swear words and it isn't a message boards job to police what the yuuuut of today see. The only people to get offended by swear words are too uptight and can go :censored: themselves if you ask me.

Any kids on here most likely go to watch football anyway so hear a lot more swear words there then they would here!